Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Arcade Talk 24/7/365

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,328 ✭✭✭Pyongyang

Andrew76 wrote: »
    Seimitsu LS-32-01 sticks and Sanwa buttons on my cab. Rarely play fighters tbh.

Those are the ones regularly fighting for supremacy with the LS-56-01 sticks amongst shooting game fans right? How do you find the 32's? Are they really accurate with a short throw?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,035 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

Pyongyang wrote: »
    Those are the ones regularly fighting for supremacy with the LS-56-01 sticks amongst shooting game fans right? How do you find the 32's? Are they really accurate with a short throw?

The 32's are good enough for my mediocre skills anyway. Never tried the 56 but the shaft looks a bit long for my liking (...). If you want super tight throws for the shmups then we need to wait for FrancoB to start mass producing his supa-tight parts. :)

Wow that's an interesting read there. Looks like the guy has put stacks of effort in to those LS-32's. It'll be interesting to see just how tight the throw ends up being.

Personally I think the shorter the throw the better. It's why I like my AES and XE-1 Pro HE sticks. In contrast, and as an example, the Virtua Stick Pro I have doesn't really do anything for me, the throw feels very long and the buttons a bit too clunky. Yet it's said to be an awesome stick... maybe for fighting games.

Wow that's an interesting read there. Looks like the guy has put stacks of effort in to those LS-32's. It'll be interesting to see just how tight the throw ends up being.

Personally I think the shorter the throw the better. It's why I like my AES and XE-1 Pro HE sticks. In contrast, and as an example, the Virtua Stick Pro I have doesn't really do anything for me, the throw feels very long and the buttons a bit too clunky. Yet it's said to be an awesome stick... maybe for fighting games.

This tight (the purple one) :D

Maybe I'm being super fussy but that throw still looks a little on the long side to me. :confused:

• Advertisement

Lol really? Looks fairly tight to me but I'm no expert I suppose. I do wonder what it would be like playing other arcade games with it though (not fighters) - would it be too tight? Maybe it better suits a dedicated shmup cab.

Maybe platform games might be OK but i'd say it's useless for fighting games. The improvement over the stock stick does look great though. Likewise I'm no expert. Maybe I'm looking at as short a throw as possible but it would be almost unusuable so in essence maybe that throw distance is spot on? :confused:

I'm trying to find videos of the LS-56 throw but they seem to be non-existent. Dying to see the throw on one of those as they appear to be the shooting game stick of choice.

2min 38 into the vid below has an LS-56-01, looks pretty tight actually.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,206 ✭✭✭unky chop chop

If you want your stick tighter you can add another spring.
    Did it with my jlf and added a LS32 spring.Took it off though,a bit to much for my liking.
    Also if you feel your stick is losing its tension..just take it aprt and stretch the spring.Works wonders for short term fix

• Registered Users Posts: 8,846 ✭✭✭Steve X2

Anyone know how to remove cables from AMP UP connectors?

Is there a knack to it or do I just pull the crap out of it.

Edit:
    Never mind, I got it.

• Advertisement

Finally got those proper arcade speakers from an Egret 2 installed in my Egret 3 (at 4am, why not :rolleyes:).
    Some difference in the sound that's for sure compared to the rubbish 5 euro speakers originally installed in it.

Now, the next job. Installing the new monitor.

I think I'll do that within the next 2 days as I just want it done.

I did a weight test tonight and I reckon I can lift and place the monitor into the candy myself once the candy is lying on its back and the old one is out.

Well, I did it.
    I bit the bullet and installed the new monitor in the candy.

It was a heavy fecker to do on my own but I got it in there and hooked up without destroying it or the old monitor.
    I guess all those years of weight lifting paid off(all those years, many years ago I should mention :D) as I didn't have to put the candy on its back or anything.

When I got the old monitor out I had to stop for a while and clean the inside of the cab, it was mental the amount of dirt that was inside and around the monitor.

I don't think the girlfriend will be too happy with my use of towels but I can live with that.

I decided to not install the new chassis and neck board that Ronnie sent me for the moment to see how it goes.
    So far its a million times better and I'll see if I want to install that new chassis at a later date.

I'm still tweaking the pots to get the image as I want it and I'm nearly there.
    The new and old monitor are exactly the same model type and number but the new one is in a lot better condition and looks like it only got some light use in its life.

I had an electrician/handy man around this morning to deliver and install a new washing machine.
    Turns out he used to be a TV repair guy for 20 years and was able to discharge the monitor for me and give a bit of advice on what to do.

He was even able to offer a few ideas as to what the problem with the old monitor was/is.
    The degauss wire/coil that was going around it was setup wrong and hanging off at the bottom and should be very tight around the whole screen and he reckons it just needs to be cable tied back to the screen and it should be a lot better.

Couple of vids(looks a bit flickery but thats just my camera freaking out a bit):

Few pics:-

The old monitor removed:
    dsc5509q.jpg

New monitor on the chair:
    dsc5506w.jpg

dsc5504w.jpg

dsc5498s.jpg

dsc5495w.jpg

dsc5494j.jpg

So thats that job done, more or less. Plus I installed the new speakers last night so I'm fairly happy with the cab at the moment.
    There's a bit of a hissing sound coming from the speakers every so often but I've tracked it down to the MVS board.
    If I give it a little squeeze(on the plastic, not metal) when the speakers are hissing it stops the hiss.
    I'll worry about that tomorrow as it shouldn't be that hard to fix or replace the MVS unit.

For right now its a cup of tea and a shower and then some sweet candy cab action later :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Nice job, well done

EnterNow wrote: »
    Nice job, well done

Cheers,
    Now I just need to sell/trade/bin this other arcade monitor as it will just die a death if I have to leave it around for any period of time.

Blazing Star on an arcade cabinet. I am literally weeping here with joy. I hope to be doing the same on Friday. :)

Great work by the way Steve, this will come in very useful on Friday as I've to lift my monitor out to help get the cab up my stairs.

Blazing Star on an arcade cabinet. I am literally weeping here with joy. I hope to be doing the same on Friday. :)

Great work by the way Steve, this will come in very useful on Friday as I've to lift my monitor out to help get the cab up my stairs.

Up the stairs, Ouchy.

I was going to do that but decided the cab look better downstairs in my house.

It's the only retro/arcade thing anyone sees in my house. All the rest is in my man cave.

Steve SI wrote: »
    Up the stairs, Ouchy.

I was going to do that but decided the cab look better downstairs in my house.

It's the only retro/arcade thing anyone sees in my house. All the rest is in my man cave.

I've been carefully planning my man cave since, well, forever. I've got a space reserved for it on Friday. Should be alright once I can get the monitor out. Bit of elbow grease and she'll be up those stairs in no time...I hope.

Did you say you were going to take the monitor out before lifting it up stairs or leaving it in? If it was me, then once I got it in the door I'd want to test it was alright before moving it upstairs. Not sure how easy that would be considering it's a bit more involved with the parts you have to take off to get it in the door.
    If there was any problem with it upstairs I'd want to know if it was something I did or if it arrived like that.

Oh and btw, if EnterNow is going to give you a hand with that then no better man. If he can get a 29inch Trinitron into the attic then the cab will be no bother! :)

I've a plug near the door so I'll put the CP and base back on, fire it up, test it, clean it and then take the monitor out. As you say, make sure it's all good first.

SteveSI's photos are very useful and have helped me plan a lot better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Andrew76 wrote: »
    If he can get a 29inch Trinitron into the attic then the cab will be no bother! :)

*Shudders at repressed memories of that

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 309 ✭✭purplec

Cheers,
    Now I just need to sell/trade/bin this other arcade monitor as it will just die a death if I have to leave it around for any period of time.

Good stuff I'm glad you got sorted in the end, I knew you could do it. It's a heavy ****er that one.

Good job

purplec wrote: »
    Good stuff I'm glad you got sorted in the end, I knew you could do it. It's a heavy ****er that one.

Good job

It surely is/was:)

But once you plan everything and break it into steps its not that bad.

Next step is to test the Xbox 360 on it to see how it handles the 31hz range.

Ok, bit of a problem :(

I put the cab back together and put the speakers for the xbox back inside(it was still working at this stage)

Wheeled it over to the corner and connected up the power.
    Nothing, the step up/down thing lights up ok and I can here it hum as it normally does but the cab is not getting any juice.

No leds lit up on the psu as i would normally expect.

I've checked the fuse on the psu and it seems to be fine and I also checked the fuse on the chassis and that also looks ok.

I didn't knock anything around when moving the cab and I only wheeled it across the room.
    I've checked ever cable I can and the are all hooked up and didn't get pulled or anything.

Anyone any ideas?

• Registered Users Posts: 309 ✭✭purplec

Try a jamma board, if that doesn't work have you got a multimeter?

purplec wrote: »
    Try a jamma board, if that doesn't work have you got a multimeter?

Not getting any power to the cab at all so the MVS or jamma boards dont power up.

I do have a multimeter but not really sure how to use it to be honest.

Use a multi-meter to check the output voltage of the step down - see if it's reading anything (would be a bit strange to light up and not output anything but you never know). Otherwise check the voltage at the jamma edge maybe?

I do have a multimeter but not really sure how to use it to be honest.

The staple truth of today's IT employee! It's grand, I don't know how to use one either. Where's my CompTIA A+ book? :D

billy_polard_-_there_there.jpg

I've had this video bookmarked for a while now. Once you learn the few bits of functionality needed for cabs then it's handy enough.

ok, did a quick google and figured out the multimeter.

Now if i measure the connection on the wall its about 230v or there abouts.
    But when i plug the inverter in and it powers up I stick the probes in and get nothing, 0v.

I've checked the fuse on the inverter and its fine.

So did my step up/down inverter just die on me. It seems to simple but if thats all it is i can grab another one.

Wheres the best place in town to get one?

• Advertisement

Not really 100 percent sure its the inverter but might risk getting a new one.

This is the one i got from Ronnie:

http://www.maplin.co.uk/300w-uk-to-usa-voltage-convertor-265288

This is what I might get as its in stock in dublin and the other one is not:

http://www.maplin.co.uk/500w-uk-to-usa-voltage-convertor-227637

Fair few euro for it though. Hope its not wasted money.

Edit:
    Links were wrong, fixed them.

Advertisement