Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Poppy

Comments

But we were talking about current British army recruits from Ireland, and whether their choice to join the British army was any different to working for a foreign company.

I totally agree with you that a sense of duty can cover the examples you mentioned. Neither of your examples involved a direct conflict with Ireland whereby those British soldiers from Ireland would be forced to choose between their country and their obligations as a British soldier, so it's not relevant to this particular question.

in the highly unlikely event that the British and Irish went to war, then I would expect them to leave and fight for their country, But lets face it, it is never going to happen, certainly not in our lifetime.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭Church on Tuesday

Good. It's disgusting how this country has treated it's WWI dead. It's improved over the last few years but still a lot to do.

These were brave Irish men, who fought for what they thought was right and they fought for their country via an external conflict.

They deserve to be remembered.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,860 ✭✭✭Ragnar Lothbrok

Aegir wrote: »
    in the highly unlikely event that the British and Irish went to war, then I would expect them to leave and fight for their country, But lets face it, it is never going to happen, certainly not in our lifetime.

From the start, I posted that it was highly unlikely.

I wonder how easy do you think is it for a serving member of the British army (or any army for that matter) on the eve of battle to suddenly announce "Oh, sorry Sir, I can't fight in your war because I'm actually going to join the other side and fight against ye."

From the start, I posted that it was highly unlikely.

I wonder how easy do you think is it for a serving member of the British army (or any army for that matter) on the eve of battle to suddenly announce "Oh, sorry Sir, I can't fight in your war because I'm actually going to join the other side and fight against ye."

It never works like that though does it?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,686 ✭✭✭Sunny Disposition

The British army has covered up the massacres in Derry and Ballymurphy, those monsters are still free and can actually benefit from the Poppy Appeal. In these circumstances no one should support it. It is worthy to remember Irish men who got killed in WW1 but the poppy is not how it should be done.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,738 ✭✭✭RobbieTheRobber

The British army has covered up the massacres in Derry and Ballymurphy, those monsters are still free and can actually benefit from the Poppy Appeal. In these circumstances no one should support it. It is worthy to remember Irish men who got killed in WW1 but the poppy is not how it should be done.

Does any of the Poppy money go to memorials for Irish ww1 war dead?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,384 ✭✭✭droidman123

Churchill was a bigoted,racist s.cumbag so whatever he had to spout is irrelevent

Does any of the Poppy money go to memorials for Irish ww1 war dead?

The Shamrock poppy is the product of the Irish branch of the legion.

Any funds generated by that poppy stays in Ireland and goes towards the up keep of WWI memorials in the country.

I'm no real fan of the traditional poppy, much for the reasons you have outlined, but I don't see anything wrong with wearing a Shamrock poppy to honor our WWI dead.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,686 ✭✭✭Sunny Disposition

Ask poppy sellers if they can guarantee the money won’t go to any of the killers at Ballymurphy or Derry, or indeed to anyone who killed Irish civilians during the Troubles. It’s a fair and very important question.

• Advertisement

Ask poppy sellers if they can guarantee the money won’t go to any of the killers at Ballymurphy or Derry, or indeed to anyone who killed Irish civilians during the Troubles. It’s a fair and very important question.

Absolutely that is and I fully agree with you.

My understanding is that the money generated by the Shamrock poppy stays in Ireland and towards the maintenance of WWI memorials.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,940 ✭✭✭Odhinn

....as well as Aden, Borneo, mayalasia, cyprus, palestine, kuwait, Iraq, eritrea, kenya, dutch east indies, india, burma, oman.......

• Registered Users Posts: 1,924 ✭✭✭WesternZulu

Tbh 100 yrs on from the Empire I'm glad they influenced the world. Their inventions, innovations, medicines, infrastructure, law, sports, literature, language.

It's just incredible to me how a rain sodden damp rock in the north Atlantic were so advanced.

An interesting theory that I read before was that their geography was responsible for such.
    Their isolation allowed for them to prosper in a way that wasn't possible in other places on the continent as it was much harder to conquer. This coupled with relatively high natural resources enabled their population to engage in activities that promoted advancement.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Good. It's disgusting how this country has treated it's WWI dead. It's improved over the last few years but still a lot to do.

These were brave Irish men, who fought for what they thought was right and they fought for their country via an external conflict.

They deserve to be remembered.

The Poppy is the only way of remembering them?

It's almost as if the flimsy red piece of material on your jacket or a day in November is the only time of the year that people stop to remember "hey my family member died in a war".
    FFS

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

And if Brexit causes uproar in the North, will they happily go in to suppress/oppress their fellow Irishmen and women??

And if Brexit causes uproar in the North, will they happily go in to suppress/oppress their fellow Irishmen and women??

As they did before. Those that served in the British army in the north should never be forgiven, and should certainly not be commemorated.

razorblunt wrote: »
    The Poppy is the only way of remembering them?

It's almost as if folk thing the red piece of material on you jacket or a day in November is the only time of the year that people stop to remember "hey my family member died in a war".
    FFS

Well I'm only really concerned about the Irish men who died in WWI, as I am an Irish man, so yeah, wearing a Shamrock poppy is one of the ways. The French,Canadians, Americans and Australians I'm sure have their ways

Attending war memorials during the year is another but mostly the education in our secondary schools and later primary school years of the Irish men who fought in WWI is the best way to honor those who died in that conflict from these shores instead of just brushing it under the carpet.

As they did before. Those that served in the British army in the north should never be forgiven, and should certainly not be commemorated.

my understanding is that they didn't. Any Irishman in the British Army was excused form service "Over the water".

• Registered Users Posts: 28,979 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

My dad grew up in the UK and had to serve in Cyprus in the late 50s, due to national service - yet he is a proud Irishman.

Less of the judgement eh ?

those were different times, he had no choice. those joining the BA from ireland now most certainly do have a choice, so are not comparible to your dad who was forced to serve.
    Tbh 100 yrs on from the Empire I'm glad they influenced the world. Their inventions, innovations, medicines, infrastructure, law, sports, literature, language.

It's just incredible to me how a rain sodden damp rock in the north Atlantic were so advanced.

yes, most certainly britain did brings us infrastructure among many other things for which we can be glad. however it does not get them off the many many crimes britain commited.

shut down alcohol action ireland now! end MUP today!

my understanding is that they didn't. Any Irishman in the British Army was excused form service "Over the water".

I didn't know this was the case. So I googled it.

Nothing to definitively answer the question, but I did find an article from an Irish born soldier who certainly served in the British army in the north:

http://www.thejournal.ie/readme/irish-solider-in-british-army-2402268-Oct2015/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭uch

FTA69 wrote: »
    I wish people would shut up about WW1 and WW2, that’s not what the poppy commemorates.

It’s a Legion symbol that commemorates ALL soldiers in ALL conflicts and is accompanied by a giant love-in for the British armed forces. Fact.

It’s like every year people stick their fingers in their ears and start shouting la la la.

I think we should commemorate the Irish war dead, but we should have our own symbol and not latch onto a British one with loads of baggage about their colonial conflicts.

We do, it's called the Easter Lily, and you get the same fúckwittery about that aswell

21/25

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

Your understanding is incorrect. I worked with a guy for a few months from Coolock who had done tours up North with the Brits, he had no say in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,922 ✭✭✭Reati

God has it been a year already since the last Red poppy thead? Time is flying...

• Registered Users Posts: 12,186 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

Well, we dont have the Good Friday thread anymore, so we gotta make this a good one!!

Fcuk Putin. Glory to Ukraine!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,353 ✭✭✭corner of hells

The Shamrock poppy is the product of the Irish branch of the legion.

Any funds generated by that poppy stays in Ireland and goes towards the up keep of WWI memorials in the country.

CWGC maintains memorials and graveyards as far as is practically possible.
    The poppy or shamrock poppy is produced by the Royal British Legion for ex military support.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭Auguste Comte

judestynes wrote: »
    Your confusing a house with a home there dude and bombing Deresden to defeat a tyranical lunatic and the people who supported him and invading a sovereign nation on trumped up allegations just to make rich men richer are worlds apart. Anyway we're miles off topic and don't call me a clown again

I don't understand why any Irish person would want to wear a poppy to commemorate the people who done just this in recent history leading to the deaths of hundreds of thousands of innocent civilians.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Edgware

Reati wrote: »
    God has it been a year already since the last Red poppy thead? Time is flying...
    Next.
    Does the Christmas shopping start earlier every year?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,480 ✭✭✭wexie

I don't understand why any Irish person would want to wear a poppy to commemorate the people who done just this in recent history leading to the deaths of hundreds of thousands of innocent civilians.

Not that I entirely disagree with the sentiment but you do know it was politicians responsible for this no?

Soldiers don't get to agree with what they are fighting for or where they are doing it, they get to go where they're told to go and do what they're told to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,922 ✭✭✭Reati

Edgware wrote: »
    Next.
    Does the Christmas shopping start earlier every year?

Yes? Don't get the relevance though. In some years. Depends on the mood of the shopper on the high Street. Market research is usually done to determine the date the season Starts.

The poppy offence/defence thread normally starts around the same time each year here though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭Auguste Comte

wexie wrote: »
    Not that I entirely disagree with the sentiment but you do know it was politicians responsible for this no?

Soldiers don't get to agree with what they are fighting for or where they are doing it, they get to go where they're told to go and do what they're told to do.

Indeed but it is not the politicians out killing innocents its soldiers. I see no difference between the isis suicide bomber blowing himself up and taking innocent people with him or the bomber pilot who dropped his load on a wedding party. Both are happy to kill innocent men women and children because someone has told them that you should go over there and kill those people because the are a threat to your way of life and off they go.

Advertisement