Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Engineer for Snag Report - New Build

• 07-08-2018 11:15am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,228 ✭✭✭

Hi All,

Our new build home is due to be finished at the end of September in West Cork.

Can anyone here recommend me a Cork based engineering firm that will create a snag report on the property?

So far I've got a quote from 1 firm of €440. Is this in or around the going rate?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 745 ✭✭✭SNNUS

Got one in Clare for €200 so seems a bit pricey

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,359 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Hi All,

Can anyone here recommend me a Cork based engineering firm that will create a snag report on the property?

So far I've got a quote from 1 firm of €440. Is this in or around the going rate?

€440 for a firm to do it would be normal, they have over heads, insurance, salaries etc

Remember, a snag is not a survey or inspection, its a visual check that all visual snags are complete, painting, little issues with defects etc

Most people get a Building Surveyor to do this, or a handyman, builder etc
    SNNUS wrote: »
    Got one in Clare for €200 so seems a bit pricey

Who done the snag?
    A firm? Sole Trader? Handy man? etc

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Edgware

Get a professional to do the job. The builder cant argue with that but he wont pay any attention to the local chancer

• Registered Users Posts: 920 ✭✭✭Ron Burgundy II

Hi All,

Was it a city-based engineering firm? You might get better value by looking at a firm closer to the property.

Edgware wrote: »
    Get a professional to do the job. The builder cant argue with that but he wont pay any attention to the local chancer

The builder pays attention to any snag, as is required for payment. It doesn't matter who they are.

When I am on site, the snag lists written on foolscap paper get treated the same as the snags on the glossy, grain effect, headed paper.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 745 ✭✭✭SNNUS

kceire wrote: »
    €440 for a firm to do it would be normal, they have over heads, insurance, salaries etc

Remember, a snag is not a survey or inspection, its a visual check that all visual snags are complete, painting, little issues with defects etc

Most people get a Building Surveyor to do this, or a handyman, builder etc

Who done the snag?
    A firm? Sole Trader? Handy man? etc

Sole Trader.

SNNUS wrote: »
    Sole Trader.

Thanks, explains the price difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,652 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Contact homesnag.Ie

They should do it for you for €180

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 2,228 ✭✭✭podgemonster

Thanks Folks, I'm gona try to find a few more quotes with what I've got here. A lot of suggestions and google searches result in Dublin/Leinster based people and I'd imagine there going to charge for transport which is understandable.

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭mick121

Edgware wrote:

This is good advice.A snag is very important.An engineer or professional builder is money well spent.Its not only the small visual things but making sure the roof is structurally sound,fire bridging,correct materials are used,bracing done properly. There is a huge amount if done properly.

• Advertisement

mick121 wrote: »
    This is good advice.A snag is very important.An engineer or professional builder is money well spent.Its not only the small visual things but making sure the roof is structurally sound,fire bridging,correct materials are used,bracing done properly. There is a huge amount if done properly.

Very hard to see if Fire Bridging is done during a snag. At best you can see some of the rock wool that's stuffed on top of the party wall and under the felt. And that's assuming the attic is exposed, if there's a finished room in the roof space, then you may not be able to see it.

The other items, you'll be relying on the Assigned Certifiers Completion Certificate for.

• Registered Users Posts: 920 ✭✭✭Ron Burgundy II

Thanks Folks, I'm gona try to find a few more quotes with what I've got here. A lot of suggestions and google searches result in Dublin/Leinster based people and I'd imagine there going to charge for transport which is understandable.

Google Consulting Engineers Cork, this brings up a large number of Engineers from the big practices to the smaller practices.

EDIT:
    OP has your solicitor recommended an Engineer?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,362 ✭✭✭Tow

kceire wrote: »
    The builder pays attention to any snag, as is required for payment. It doesn't matter who they are.

When I am on site, the snag lists written on foolscap paper get treated the same as the snags on the glossy, grain effect, headed paper.

Not always, it depends on what it on the snag list. The builder is happy to fix doors, windows, paintwork etc. But when it contains fundamental construction errors, which are expensive to fix it is another story. You need a pro to spot and document these, even then it is an uphill fight.

When is the money (including lost growth) Michael Noonan took in the Pension Levy going to be paid back?

Advertisement