Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Quality Multi Scart solutions?

Options
  • 05-02-2018 11:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 34,426 ✭✭✭✭
    Master of the Universe

I always found that the low spec part of most gaming setups has been the humble scart switcher.

Bandridge ones work (kind of) well but I still get crosstalk between improperly isolated switches (Saturn LED likes to light up when the console is off) - which I really don't like. They also look fairly cheap.

Was considering a gscartsw, but have now read they can break if you connect up a supergun, which is a tad concerning given the price of them. (Plus tbh I just think they're extremely overpriced anyway)

Was then considering an Extron Crosspoint, which would go with the 'pro' look of the BVM/LMD etc and be far cheaper than a gscartsw, however the price would be bumped up as this would require buying 8 or so BNC to scart breakout cables.

Any other ideas??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,848 ✭✭✭Steve X2

• Registered Users Posts: 34,426 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Hmmm, 270 euro delivered, which is kind of mad...but the idea of 16 properly isolated scart connections with automatic switching that I can literally just go over, switch a console on without any fiddling around...while having all sound routed to two RCA cables...

Bloody tempting!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,717 ✭✭✭The Last Bandit

Lothrek makes good gear alright but this is just overkill i think.

I'd hate to imagine the unwieldy rats nest of wiring with 16 devices plugged in, not to mention the associated 16 power bricks you'd needed to power 16 devices.

Input protection seems to be an issue as well, lots of warning about plugging in powered devices...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,215 ✭✭✭KeRbDoG

Could do some mad Bandridge 5 Way Scart Selector SVB7735 daisy chaining - anyone try that yet?

Looks like it works but some folks reported slight issues

• Advertisement
    Master of the Universe

Lothrek makes good gear alright but this is just overkill i think.

I'd hate to imagine the unwieldy rats nest of wiring with 16 devices plugged in, not to mention the associated 16 power bricks you'd needed to power 16 devices.

Input protection seems to be an issue as well, lots of warning about plugging in powered devices...

Whatever you do, don't look down the back of my telly :D

I've about 12 - 13consoles all wired up with their associated PSUs plugged in. It does look a bit mental alright.

I really like it though, if a setup involves more than pressing a button to turn the tv on and pressing a button to turn the console on I get pissed off :D
    KeRbDoG wrote: »
    Could do some mad Bandridge 5 Way Scart Selector SVB7735 daisy chaining - anyone try that yet?

I kinda have that as a setup at the moment, have one bandridge with 4 consoles going into it and then another scart selector daisy chained in with three additional ones. Still short quite a few inputs at the moment. Lazyness tends to mean I only really play the ones that are currently plugged in and don't switch them out.

I get crosstalk on the external scart adapter as well as the bandridge channels though :(

Might just bite the bullet and buy that 16 slot monster. I guess it'll be a one off payment and that's that!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,215 ✭✭✭KeRbDoG

Didn't know there was a powered and non-powered version of their switchers - yea have the powered or non-powered? Unsure if that would help with crosstalk but that could be anything from the quality of the SCART<->SCART cables to connect them and more.
    That huge switcher looks like the business though albeit expensive.

Hopefully you can disable the LEDs :)

Master of the Universe

You can get them in automatic and manual forms, I guess the powered one would be the automatic one? My one is passive and manual.

From what I read about a few dudes opening them up, apparently the build quality can be a bit hit and miss. Some folks have reported that some of the inputs aren't fully isolated, so that might be what my issue is.

Although yeah, with that many consoles hooked up it could be anything. :O

• Registered Users Posts: 8,848 ✭✭✭Steve X2

I’ve two of the gwscarts hooked up(original and one of the new ones). Quality on those is great, but price is a bit silly.

Master of the Universe

Steve X2 wrote: »
    I’ve two of the gwscarts hooked up(original and one of the new ones). Quality on those is great, but price is a bit silly.

They're actually quite hard to get at the moment and are currently out of stock.

I saw an auction for one that had ended at over $600 as a result. A sure sign of someone having more money than sense.

• Advertisement
Advertisement