Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

switching mortgage to a different lender.

• 14-01-2020 6:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭

I found better rates for my mortgage with KBC, but don't like the hassle of switching...

Has any of you successfully negotiated with your current bank, i.e. threatening them to leave to an alternative lender, say... to match the rates the new lender would offer?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭tommythecat

greep wrote: »
    I found better rates for my mortgage with KBC, but don't like the hassle of switching...

Has any of you successfully negotiated with your current bank, i.e. threatening them to leave to an alternative lender, say... to match the rates the new lender would offer?

Thanks

I switched from AIB to KBC recently. AIB had no interest in negotiating a deal.

4kwp South East facing PV System. 5.3kwh Weco battery. South Dublin City.

• Registered Users Posts: 844 ✭✭✭timetogo1

I was with KBC before and they wouldn't entertain negotiating. This was when they were giving new customers different rates than existing customers. So I wanted to get a rate they were actually giving other customers and they didn't care.

Switching is a hassle but it's not that hard. Absolutely worth doing. The bank I switched to sent out an advisor to our house to help with the forms.

The most hassle I had was answering and reanswering questions for the bank and solicitor. So patience is required.

But it saved me over €3k a year.

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭greep

I switched from AIB to KBC recently. AIB had no interest in negotiating a deal.
    Thanks, I'm also with AIB & thinking of switching to KBC (at least for 2 years fixed rate offer) & then back to AIB as they have variable (long term rate).

• Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭tommythecat

Thanks, I'm also with AIB & thinking of switching to KBC (at least for 2 years fixed rate offer) & then back to AIB as they have variable (long term rate).

It's still worth talking to them. You might have better luck.

4kwp South East facing PV System. 5.3kwh Weco battery. South Dublin City.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,022 Mod ✭✭✭✭G_R

Thanks

You can switch to KBCs new business rates, I.e. whatever they are offering to new customers:

https://www.kbc.ie/Our-Products/Mortgages/Existing-Customers/PDH-Offer

You need to get a valuation to confirm your LTV bracket, but that's it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 548 ✭✭✭Q&A

Thanks

Banks won't price match. However, you might be in a situation where your LTV has reduced sufficiently that you might be eligible to move to a lower rate (if based on LTV). However, KBC have some good rates so it's likely they would still be cheaper.

Yes some work involved in switching (and cost) but the €3k should more than cover that.

Advertisement