Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

coronavirus time off work to care for son?

Options
  • 20-03-2020 12:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭

hi all,
    my son has bad asthma so is at the high risk end, i have been off taking annual leave from work to limit any exposure etc.
    im wondering if i want to stay at home from work to limit any chances of me bringing the virus home, what are my entitlements? my work has already sent those who can work from home, home, and said they understand if people have to stay at home for kids who are high risk etc.
    with my job i cannot work from home.
    if i rang the doctor and asked for a sick note for this reason, i presume as its a sick note i would still get paid from work?
    any thougts or suggestions?

thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭05eaftqbrs9jlh

It would depend on the terms of your contract but some have Force Majeure leave which might enable you to get time off. Whether it's paid or unpaid would be stipulated by your employer. If they are understanding, you might be able to be temporarily laid off and brought back when things improve. This would enable you to apply for social welfare.

I hope you figure something out.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Maestro30

I've told my manager in work that I was in the 'at risk group' (asthma) he said to contact the sw and they'd pay me. But surely that would fall under illness benefit? as I haven't been let go from work I just dont feel comfortable in that environment. Anyway rang GP and she said I'm medically fit for work and completely ignored that I've been classed by the HSE to be in the at risk category.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,420 ✭✭✭splinter65

Maestro30 wrote: »
    I've told my manager in work that I was in the 'at risk group' (asthma) he said to contact the sw and they'd pay me. But surely that would fall under illness benefit? as I haven't been let go from work I just dont feel comfortable in that environment. Anyway rang GP and she said I'm medically fit for work and completely ignored that I've been classed by the HSE to be in the at risk category.
    If your GP says that your fit for work then that’s that sorted. Your employer can send you home to get Jobseekers if he agrees that he’s sending you home because his business is suffering because of the crisis. Other then that you are entitled to continue to go to work.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,323 ✭✭✭JustAThought

From your previous posts on signing on for disability is your wife not on disability and therefore able to mind your son? Or is everybody planning to just go on the dole in lieu of working and paying their way? It seems your doctor win’t give you a sick note as you are not sick. Do you really want to expose yourself to your contract being terminated as you din’t want to work for the next few years but want to draw down a ‘salary’?

I understand that after 6 weeks it is means tested.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 514 ✭✭✭thomasdylan

I'm not sure if your son is high risk. Children have been very mildly affected and I don't think there's been a death of anyone under the age of 24 (this could be out of date).

This is going to go on for months. I'm nor your GP, but if I was if give advice on hygiene and social distancing but I wouldnt give you time off. Its setting a precedent that would shut half the country down.

• Advertisement
Advertisement