Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Share Picks 2020

• 28-12-2019 8:16pm
    Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,052 ✭✭✭✭

Shoot.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭Mach 3

beertons wrote: »
    Shoot.

Did 'Share picks 2019' beat the S&P 500?

Portfolios 2020?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,246 ✭✭✭Scottie99

Early 2019 I bought heavily in Shopify. It’s a quality stock for keeps, have a look.

• Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭bizidea

Would anyone recommend a good book or website where I could learn about investing I want to start investing this coming year probably a couple of hundred a month but nothing too risky

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

smurfit kappa
    crh
    shell
    glanbia ( only because its been beaten down so much )

• Registered Users Posts: 2,710 ✭✭✭crushproof

Scottie99 wrote: »
    Early 2019 I bought heavily in Shopify. It’s a quality stock for keeps, have a look.

Didn't have the courtesy to share on the 2019 Share Picks? :D Some returns YTD, can they continue that momentum into the New Year.

For me, a few safe bets for the year ahead. I believe Mastercard and Visa will continue to grow this year as the world continues to move from cash to card. I only bought into both in the past couple of months. Delayed the trigger for ages and finally bought in, the growth over the past couple of years has been relentless.

Facebook will continue to dominate social media advertising revenue so I can the stock continuing its recent upswing.

• Advertisement

crushproof wrote: »
    Didn't have the courtesy to share on the 2019 Share Picks? :D Some returns YTD, can they continue that momentum into the New Year.

My apologies. This is the first year I’ve started seriously investing.

Yep Visa/MasterCard is a solid pick. In financials, I’ve invested (small) in Square and Stone Co.

Edit - I did https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057977740

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,625 ✭✭✭Millionaire only not

Mad_maxx wrote: »
    smurfit kappa
    crh
    shell
    glanbia ( only because its been beaten down so much )

U were dead right with Disney shares last year

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 9,978 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

Yep Visa/MasterCard is a solid pick.

Really, take a look at the level of private credit and the the general consensus that personal credit is likely to be the next source of a financial crisis. How are either of those companies set up to take the hit?

U were dead right with Disney shares last year

0ver a 12 month period it is called being lucky.

Jim2007 wrote: »
    Really, take a look at the level of private credit and the the general consensus that personal credit is likely to be the next source of a financial crisis. How are either of those companies set up to take the hit?

These companies are facilitators. Visa doesn't directly lend money to consumers through its branded credit or debit cards. The money being borrowed comes from the financial institution that actually issues the card, such as JPMorgan Chase or Capital One.

• Advertisement

These companies are facilitators. Visa doesn't directly lend money to consumers through its branded credit or debit cards. The money being borrowed comes from the financial institution that actually issues the card, such as JPMorgan Chase or Capital One.

You think the brands will survive without the funding..... they need a plan...

And if you think the brands are worth it, then buy when they get hit and everyone else wants out.

You think the brands will survive without the funding..... they need a plan..

Yes they’ll survive, they did during the last Financial Crisis. They’re financially strong..

As for the future - e-commerce had the potential to drive explosive growth for the company.

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭XMG

SAAS seems to have fallen out of favour, bios for the win in 2020

• Registered Users Posts: 4,359 ✭✭✭jon1981

+1 got in to that stock 3 yrs ago. Amazed by it's performance

0ver a 12 month period it is called being lucky.

I'm thinking of putting some money in the city of London investment Trust, would you view this choice as a well balanced investment?

I'm slightly put off by the trust being exclusively UK - sterling based?

• Registered Users Posts: 929 ✭✭✭sternn

I bought some Tesla shares a few months back and has performed very well since. I'm unsure whether growth will stagnate as market cap is already pretty significant - however if they get their supply chain and battery development right in the medium term, they will perform very well.

I also think Workday might have a better year next year but it might take some time to make any decent returns.

Mad_maxx wrote: »
    I'm thinking of putting some money in the city of London investment Trust, would you view this choice as a well balanced investment?

I'm slightly put off by the trust being exclusively UK - sterling based?

I'm not familiar with this trust, so my comments will be general in nature.

The first thing to consider is just the act of investing in a UK based trust. The value of a fund is based on it's holdings, so allowing for timing, you should not have much of an FX exposure in that sense.

The second one is the big issue - the holdings. If the fund holds a broad global portfolio, the currency that the fund is designated in is not a big issue, but this fund seems to have a strong bend towards LSE stocks, so you would seem to be investing in the UK economy and not just choosing a currency that the fund is dominated in.

So the question for you is why would a Euroland resident want to invest in the UK economy? Presumable you will also spend in Euros...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭Dots1982

Anyone here like Bango?

• Registered Users Posts: 567 ✭✭✭stretchaq

Banco Santander
    GVC HOLDINGS
    Nuformix

My three to follow

I'm not familiar with this trust, so my comments will be general in nature.

The first thing to consider is just the act of investing in a UK based trust. The value of a fund is based on it's holdings, so allowing for timing, you should not have much of an FX exposure in that sense.

The second one is the big issue - the holdings. If the fund holds a broad global portfolio, the currency that the fund is designated in is not a big issue, but this fund seems to have a strong bend towards LSE stocks, so you would seem to be investing in the UK economy and not just choosing a currency that the fund is dominated in.

So the question for you is why would a Euroland resident want to invest in the UK economy? Presumable you will also spend in Euros...

It has a solid reputation but perhaps is more suitable for UK residents?

It's difficult to buy funds without being stung for the exit tax after seven - eight years?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,858 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Is anyone in cash waiting for a drop?

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭JMMCapital

Thargor wrote: »
    Is anyone in cash waiting for a drop?

Buffet is.... 130B+

• Registered Users Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭Darc19

Visa / mastercard are payment processors

And where is this "general consensus"

Just because there was a deep recession recently, doesn't mean there's one coming anytime soon.

Before the last recession, the previous one was in the mid 80's

Darc19 wrote: »
    Visa / mastercard are payment processors

And where is this "general consensus"

Just because there was a deep recession recently, doesn't mean there's one coming anytime soon.

Before the last recession, the previous one was in the mid 80's

Do you mean in an Irish context?

Irish recessions have no effect on global equities, there was a recession in the US post 9-11

jon1981 wrote: »
    +1 got in to that stock 3 yrs ago. Amazed by it's performance

Yep, you must have bought at a fantastic (looking back) price. The forecast stock price for the next 5 years looks encouraging (no guarantees). Know doubt they’ll be ups and downs along the way..

• Registered Users Posts: 15,314 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Long term holds BAM, BIP, STOR. The oil stocks also are interesting, watching OXY there, seems to be in recovery (early days, watching for a cross of the 100 ema and staying there before buying) but like all others in the sector oil prices need to continue their recent upward trajectory.
    Short term speculative (targeting $12 in 2020 , currently around $7): APPS
    May add SPG to long term hold/dividend account if price stabilises, not convinced we are there yet. MAC is another REIT I'm watching for the same reasons.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,644 ✭✭✭antimatterx

If it wasn't for the deemed disposable rule I'd just invest in the S&P 500. Are there any funds that Irish tax residents can invest in, allow the value to roll up, and only pay tax when we sell?

• Registered Users Posts: 43 cosybeach

petrel resources best performing aim stock in 2019 hoping for a similar bounce in 2020

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭JMMCapital

Stock Buybacks

2019: $705B*
    2018: $810B
    2017: $520B
    2016: $535B
    2015: $575B
    2014: $550B
    2013: $480B
    2012: $400B
    2011: $400B

Sectors*

Tech: 32%
    Fins: 24%
    ConsDesc: 10%
    Indust: 9%

*20 companies account for 50% through Q3, Citi data.

via @BearTrapsReport

No wonder we’re seeing such high PE ratios...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭Mach 3

20283.jpeg

None of the above tech was around at the end of 2009.
    As above - tech buybacks 2019 ~ 34%

Advertisement