Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Can I register my car in a differant County than the one in which I'm living in?

• 07-09-2009 4:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭

Can I register my car in a differant county to the one in which I'm living in. I'm considering buying in the North but when I take it into the south, there is a Particular county I would rather have it registered in. Is this possible?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭Bogger77

I registered mine at the Revenue office in Cork, with a non Cork reg, but then again my pps number is registered to a non Cork address.

They'll assign you a number based on your PPS, I think, unless you state different, but I'd expect you'd need proof of address to use any other address.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 510 ✭✭✭biggus

It will be registerd to whatever county the address of the new registered owner lives even if you pay the duty in a different county.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,534 ✭✭✭SV

D reg eh..

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭Toyota_Avensis

anyone shine any light on this?

• Registered Users Posts: 51,060 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

As already mentioned, the car will be registered to the county of the address that Revenue have in reference to your PPS number. So if for example your PPS number has your address as in Dublin then the car will be registered with a D reg number. You cannot choose what county you want to register it in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,147 ✭✭✭✭Berty

bazz26 wrote: »
    As already mentioned, the car will be registered to the county of the address that Revenue have in reference to your PPS number. So if for example your PPS number has your address as in Dublin then the car will be registered with a D reg number.

Not true. The car will be registered to the address that you provide the garage with. I bought a new car and was given a L address even though I bought and taxed the car in Cork.

I researched this recently for my father who wants to buy a car in Little Island Cork which is not registered yet and wants an L address even though he lives in County Clare. Boundary issues anyway....................

he is registering the car at his mothers address in Limerick to get the L address.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,060 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Berty wrote: »
    Not true. The car will be registered to the address that you provide the garage with. I bought a new car and was given a L address even though I bought and taxed the car in Cork.

I researched this recently for my father who wants to buy a car in Little Island Cork which is not registered yet and wants an L address even though he lives in County Clare. Boundary issues anyway....................

he is registering the car at his mothers address in Limerick to get the L address.

But the OP is importing a car which afaik means the VRO will issue a registration number based on the address that they have via his/her PPS number. Maybe the rules are different when importing?

• Registered Users Posts: 73,364 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

you fill in your address manually on the registration application. the PPS number doesn't determine that.
    you need to use an actual address for receiving the registration cert.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,043 ✭✭✭2 Espressi

You'd think at a grand a pop for "privileged" plates, they'd let you put any county on it? Madness...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭Saab Ed

Well all I can say is I've registered lots of cars with Louth address's to Meath plates but I think the best one ever was " Drogheda Co Dublin. " I know a dealer who registered a car to Dundalk Co Dublin because the owner wanted a D plate. The VRO will reg a car to what ever address you give them, thats my experience anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,672 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

Saab Ed wrote: »
    Well all I can say is I've registered lots of cars with Louth address's to Meath plates but I think the best one ever was " Drogheda Co Dublin. " I know a dealer who registered a car to Dundalk Co Dublin because the owner wanted a D plate. The VRO will reg a car to what ever address you give them, thats my experience anyway.

Even if you go in to the VRO?

I know the online system will take any combination for new cars, but I thought they had a bit of cop on in the VRO.

Oh, wait a second - it's a Government department......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭Saab Ed

R.O.R wrote: »
    Oh, wait a second - it's a Government department......

They twig fcuk all. Too busy playing pac man or their other favorite game , lets see how long he'll stand there without complaining :o

• Registered Users Posts: 718 ✭✭✭fastrac

Jackie Healy Rae got grief from the Kerry folk for having a C reg on his new Merc.Common practice in The Kingdom to keep up the trade in value.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

Got a friend that lives in the county you want it registered to? just put your name, your friends address and then you're done. When you get the ownership papers then, just send them back with a change of address!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

2 Espressi wrote: »
    You'd think at a grand a pop for "privileged" plates, they'd let you put any county on it? Madness...

you'd think they'd let you put whatever you want on it! personal plates should have been introduced years ago!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,320 ✭✭✭v3ttel

Sorry to drag up an old thread from the dead, but I see a lot of different answers posted above, ranging from PPS numbers to addresses you supply the garage....I'm not sure which is correct.

Basically, I'm thinking of buying a car in Munster, and I have a rented Munster address, but I'm from KK and therefore I want the car to have a KK plate. Can I just give my KK address and I'll definitely get a KK registration?

Cheers

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭kikel

Use your kilkenny address and you will be fine. I wanted a personal reg a few years ago so I told them that I was moving to kilkenny in a few weeks and could i use my new address. The address I used was a mates address. I never moved to Kilkenny. :D Any way things may have changed now that the NCT are looking after these matters

• Registered Users Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

Rooney10 wrote: »
    Sorry to drag up an old thread from the dead, but I see a lot of different answers posted above, ranging from PPS numbers to addresses you supply the garage....I'm not sure which is correct.

Basically, I'm thinking of buying a car in Munster, and I have a rented Munster address, but I'm from KK and therefore I want the car to have a KK plate. Can I just give my KK address and I'll definitely get a KK registration?

Cheers

Only if the car has never been registered in the state before, if it's already registered you can't change it.

kikel wrote: »
    Use your kilkenny address and you will be fine. I wanted a personal reg a few years ago so I told them that I was moving to kilkenny in a few weeks and could i use my new address. The address I used was a mates address. I never moved to Kilkenny. :DAny way things may have changed now that the NCT are looking after these matters
    NCT only assess imports for VRT purposes, they've nothing to do with new cars sold through dealers. They don't have any further input into registering the car which is still the remit of the Revenue folks.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,320 ✭✭✭v3ttel

slimjimmc wrote: »
    Only if the car has never been registered in the state before, if it's already registered you can't change it.

Yep, sorry, I meant I would definitely be buying new. I presume you'd have zero hope of changing the reg of a second hand car.

Advertisement