Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The Steak Thread SEE OP

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭garfie1d

Thargor wrote: »
    Anyone got a pic of the burgers? Are they frozen or fresh (chilled?)

There fresh, This was the old packaging, can’t seem to find a pic of the current one, it’s still Tipperary dry aged rib steak burger but in a clear plastic container now

• Registered Users Posts: 28,076 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Anyone got a pic of the burgers? Are they frozen or fresh (chilled?)

There the only rib steak burgers they do I think, as usual reach for the packets in the box behind. Should hold for 7 days or more without freezing. Don't forget the broche buns.
    Local butchers are good, lidl aren't even close, only burgers the Mrs will eat now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,266 ✭✭✭dinorebel

No fillets in Aldi today - loads of all the other cuts though. Sad face.
    Aldi Letterkenny was the opposite plenty of fillets but nothing else. Grabbed the fillets for me and the wife and the last pack of rib eyes for the kids.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 20,862 Mod ✭✭✭✭inforfun

garfie1d wrote: »
    Second that, These burgers and buns are a weekly staple for us. Grab some American cheese too (the only reason I buy the stuff!)

The Marks & Spencer’s burger sauce is just like McDonald’s sauce.

The smoky tomato sauce from the same M&S range is also really nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Why did they have to get rid of the sesame seed variety though? Those were perfection.

they should be back. I was asking the same in the food forum before and was told they are seasonal, so should come back in the next few months for BBQ weather. The hot dog ones are also gone and are brilliant.

Tesco have potato buns which are commonly used in the US in proper burger places. Bunsen use a potato brioche type bun, they can be called Amish dinner rolls.

The tesco ones were called the "firepit" range, but did not seem to sell well, they are quite expensive. After BBQ season was over they changed the name to finest potato rolls (or something like that). Can't see them online though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,381 ✭✭✭yannakis

Heya chaps, I bumped on these so called "Beef Bonds" where with €100-150 you seem to be getting plenty of meat but something doesn't feel right. Especially the
    slow cook cuts, and the steak burgers I have a feeling they might be garbage meat. What's the culprit?

So according to their website you get the following:
    - 5lbs selection of Roast Joints
    - 3lbs selection of Steak Cuts
    - 3lbs selection of Braise/Slow Cook Cuts
    - 2lbs of a selection of Steak Mince & Steak Burgers
    - Selection of Offal, some marrow bones and some great stock bones

• Registered Users Posts: 7,244 ✭✭✭CH3OH

Beef Bonds

Seems complex and IMHO is overpriced.

14 weeks seems like a long time if you fancy a steak for dinner.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

CH3OH wrote: »
    Beef Bonds

Seems complex and IMHO is overpriced.

14 weeks seems like a long time if you fancy a steak for dinner.

Owned by Dunnes Stores too

• Registered Users Posts: 7,793 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

yannakis wrote: »
    Heya chaps, I bumped on these so called "Beef Bonds" where with €100-150 you seem to be getting plenty of meat but something doesn't feel right. Especially the
    slow cook cuts, and the steak burgers I have a feeling they might be garbage meat. What's the culprit?

So according to their website you get the following:
    - 5lbs selection of Roast Joints
    - 3lbs selection of Steak Cuts
    - 3lbs selection of Braise/Slow Cook Cuts
    - 2lbs of a selection of Steak Mince & Steak Burgers
    - Selection of Offal, some marrow bones and some great stock bones

While I wouldn't class them as garbage cuts they usually are derived from the cuts that are the least expensive because they are the toughest meat.

The selection of offal/bones is the garbage that most butchers would give you for free because otherwise it costs them money to dump.

He's got a lovely worded advertisement but read it again and you'll see his cattle could be fed on the cheapest gm based grain for all we know.

Even if they were reared in the cattle equivalent of Utopia it seems very expensive for what you get.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,427 ✭✭✭Markcheese

13 lb of meat so nearly 6 kg ... Of mixed cuts ,
    At 17 euro a kg ,
    At some time in the future , it's not cheap

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 664 ✭✭✭starbaby2003

All valentines steaks are half price in M&S so €7.50 including pepper sauce.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,609 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

There the only rib steak burgers they do I think, as usual reach for the packets in the box behind. Should hold for 7 days or more without freezing. Don't forget the broche buns.
    Local butchers are good, lidl aren't even close, only burgers the Mrs will eat now.

Aldi have another rib steak burger, I think its a new product. They're wrapped in maple cured bacon and topped with either cashel blue or cheddar cheese. Big chunky 8oz burgers, 4.49 for two of them. The other rib steak burgers for 2.79 are a lot smaller, 4oz each.
    Markcheese wrote: »
    13 lb of meat so nearly 6 kg ... Of mixed cuts ,
    At 17 euro a kg ,
    At some time in the future , it's not cheap

Seems like a bit of a gimmick to me as they're not clear on what joints and steak cuts you get. You could end up with 5lbs of housekeepers cut and 3lbs of minute steak.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 875 ✭✭✭mean gene

[HTML][/HTML]
    garfie1d wrote: »
    There fresh, This was the old packaging, can’t seem to find a pic of the current one, it’s still Tipperary dry aged rib steak burger but in a clear plastic container now

2.79 for 2 bo11ix to that wheres the bargain

• Registered Users Posts: 8,578 ✭✭✭OmegaGene

mean gene wrote: »
    [HTML][/HTML]

2.79 for 2 bo11ix to that wheres the bargain

Try a pack they are the dogs wotsits

The internet isn’t for everyone

From tomorrow 7 May until 13th May in Supervalue Cowboy steaks are back with 25% off. 12.49 per kilo.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭wonski

Oh, this reminds me Centra has Angus Striploin 454g for 6 euro.

Mine were well over half kilo anyway :)

Not a bad deal especially in Centra.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,331 ✭✭✭.red.

wonski wrote: »
    Oh, this reminds me Centra has Angus Striploin 454g for 6 euro.

Mine were well over half kilo anyway :)

Not a bad deal especially in Centra.

I'd much rather rib eye but couldn't leave those striploin behind when I saw them yesterday with a plan to put them on the BBQ. Nice long date on them too so you could buy a few packs.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,793 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Muahahaha wrote: »
    From tomorrow 7 May until 13th May in Supervalue Cowboy steaks are back with 25% off. 12.49 per kilo.

Got it on the last day of the offer ...fantastic. I reckon its the best supermarket steak available.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

odyssey06 wrote: »
    Got it on the last day of the offer ...fantastic. I reckon its the best supermarket steak available.

Great minds think alike, I literally only got one yesterday and Im reverse searing it in the oven right now. It looks like a fine piece of meat, I should have bought more for freezing.

Thats it there, was delish

cowboy.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭dennispenn

odyssey06 wrote: »
    bought two of these steaks, really enjoyed them. Never had them before, I don't think I did anyway. Thanks for the recommendation guys.

Got text there to say Sirloin is on half price in SuperValu from Thursday

• Registered Users Posts: 17,863 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

TheTorment wrote: »
    Got text there to say Sirloin is on half price in SuperValu from Thursday
    And very nice it was too, thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,325 ✭✭✭Bandana boy

dennispenn wrote: »
    bought two of these steaks, really enjoyed them. Never had them before, I don't think I did anyway. Thanks for the recommendation guys.

It’s a ribeye on the bone

• Registered Users Posts: 27,793 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Got a text from Supervalu:
    From Thurs SuperValu Fresh Irish Fillet Steak Half Price/Cowboy Save 33% (Counter) & Italian Wine Sale now on.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

Cowboys are back, oh baby thats the weekend BBQ sorted

• Registered Users Posts: 1,725 ✭✭✭bigron2109

Asked for two pieces of fillet steak today at the butchers counter as they were 50% off. He gave them to me and I was shocked by the price . €14.21 for 0.406 kg. Not much of a bargain I though. Put them back in the fridge.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,336 ✭✭✭MacDanger

bigron2109 wrote: »
    Asked for two pieces of fillet steak today at the butchers counter as they were 50% off. He gave them to me and I was shocked by the price . €14.21 for 0.406 kg. Not much of a bargain I though. Put them back in the fridge.

That's E35/kg, he charged you full price

• Registered Users Posts: 1,725 ✭✭✭bigron2109

MacDanger wrote: »
    That's E35/kg, he charged you full price

Here’s the picture . I didn’t even question it. I just put it back.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

https://shop.supervalu.ie/shopping/product/1019169000

SuperValu Beef Fillet Steak - Butchers Counter
    €17.49 per kg
    Usuals
    WAS 34.99, NOW 17.49, SAVE 17.50

Valid: May 21st - May 27th

Advertisement