Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chromecast

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 511 ✭✭✭col.in.Cr

• Registered Users Posts: 2,786 ✭✭✭BionicRasher

col.in.Cr wrote: »
    Why Parcel Motel? He seems to ship to here.

His shipping costs £8 to Ireland
    so with that it comes to about €46
    With Parcel Motel shipping is free and therefore comes to approx €40
    hence the bargain!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 511 ✭✭✭col.in.Cr

hence the bargain!!

Gotcha,cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭TakeTheVeil

For me - at least right now - it's not worth the money. It kinda sucks in its current form. And its not as robust as I thought it would be.

I think one of those Chinese Android USB TV sticks would be a better option for most people.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,355 ✭✭✭cruhoortwunk

Widi is much better if your laptop/pc is compatible

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭groom

For me - at least right now - it's not worth the money. It kinda sucks in its current form. And its not as robust as I thought it would be.

I think one of those Chinese Android USB TV sticks would be a better option for most people.

What do you mean by it's not robust as you thought? I think it always did what it claimed to do extremely robustly.

My experience of Chinese TV stick is that they normally come with very flaky ROMs so are definitely not robust. They tend to suffer heating issues and reboot intermittently and need custom ROMs to make them useful.

The Chromecast SDK has been now been released so the flow of apps is steadily increasing. Now pretty much anything that is displaying / playing on your phone/tablet/pc can be cast to the cc.

I've had an Android stick in the past and will probably have more in the future but I would argue that a Chromecast would definitely suit more people because of it's absolute ease of use and it's performance.

groom wrote: »
    What do you mean by it's not robust as you thought? I think it always did what it claimed to do extremely robustly.

My experience of Chinese TV stick is that they normally come with very flaky ROMs so are definitely not robust. They tend to suffer heating issues and reboot intermittently and need custom ROMs to make them useful.

The Chromecast SDK has been now been released so the flow of apps is steadily increasing. Now pretty much anything that is displaying / playing on your phone/tablet/pc can be cast to the cc.

I've had an Android stick in the past and will probably have more in the future but I would argue that a Chromecast would definitely suit more people because of it's absolute ease of use and it's performance.

I agree, with the opening of the Chromecast environment to app developers there should be huge innovation with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,661 ✭✭✭Crimsonforce

i have four of these and they are amazing for the price..

There is an extension (called file manager) which allows you to open anything up
    on chrome and cast it to the chromecast. Videos of any codecs, powerpoint, images etc..

• Registered Users Posts: 882 ✭✭✭acalmenvoy

Keep an eye on this, Its updated regularly.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,118 ✭✭✭shrapnel222

i can do this with my phone so just wondering if there are any other advantages i'm missing?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 905 ✭✭✭mikep

hence the bargain!!

Dumbass question: How do I go with the parcel motel option??

• Registered Users Posts: 3,118 ✭✭✭shrapnel222

mikep wrote: »
    Dumbass question: How do I go with the parcel motel option??

open an account with parcel motel and use their address as the delivery address (include your PM number you will get when opening the acount). it's all explained when you open your account

• Registered Users Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭Dudda

Curry's said they will start selling the Chromecast in the UK on the 1st March which is only a few days away. If it's like the way they sell the Nexus 7 then you'll be able to purchase it here too. Although they haven't released prices yet I'd expect it to be less than €40.

I own two since it launched and looking to buy another one when it launches in the UK. Couldn't recommend it more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭spank_inferno

I have one but am finding we are hardly using it.

I'd love if RTE or BBC iPlayer were available for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭leck

I have one but am finding we are hardly using it.

I'd love if RTE or BBC iPlayer were available for it.
    BBC iPlayer will work with Hola (install as Chrome extension) and Chromecast.

I have a Chromecast and a HuluPlus subscription but my internet speed here with Sky is too slow for proper streaming. This is aggravating.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭lbj666

Have people received their yet, wanna double check to see if everything is legit

• Registered Users Posts: 5,225 ✭✭✭Redsoxfan

Arrived this evening and I installed it. Went to cast a movie from Plex app on my phone to the TV where I have the Chromecast installed and I got a message to say that this option is currently only available to Plex Pass subscribers - is there any way around this at present?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭spank_inferno

Redsoxfan wrote: »
    Arrived this evening and I installed it. Went to cast a movie from Plex app on my phone to the TV where I have the Chromecast installed and I got a message to say that this option is currently only available to Plex Pass subscribers - is there any way around this at present?

Are you connected to a VPN?

Are you connected to a VPN?

No, well, connected to UPC home network on which Plex server also resides.

From reading, Plex is still in 'Pilot' and so only available if you have Plex Pass. Plex are saying that us non-subscribers will have access eventually.

I should point out for anyone waiting that the plug I received seems to be a European model. No big deal as I have other micro USB chargers. And I'm not even sure if you need to use mains power (vs USB from TV) but they seem to recommend.

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭mickotoole

Redsoxfan wrote: »
    No, well, connected to UPC home network on which Plex server also resides.

From reading, Plex is still in 'Pilot' and so only available if you have Plex Pass. Plex are saying that us non-subscribers will have access eventually.

I should point out for anyone waiting that the plug I received seems to be a European model. No big deal as I have other micro USB chargers. And I'm not even sure if you need to use mains power (vs USB from TV) but they seem to recommend.

Plex Android app got an update last night, apparently Chromecast compatibility has been added with this update

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭captain_boycott

mickotoole wrote: »
    Plex Android app got an update last night, apparently Chromecast compatibility has been added with this update

Still requires a plex pass.

I use bubble upnp, it just got chromecast support & combined with It's free media server will transcode and play almost anything you throw at it.

I really don't know what I'm doing with Plex but I have been streaming all formats from laptop with Plex Media Server to CC with it. I'm not paying for anything.

groom wrote: »
    I really don't know what I'm doing with Plex but I have been streaming all formats from laptop with Plex Media Server to CC with it. I'm not paying for anything.

Not an option for me to stream directly from the server or from my laptop so I am trying to cast what's playing on my phone or tablet via the Plex app.

Anyway, I'll bide my time until they relase the casting option via the app for the rest of us.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,848 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Is there no VLC or Media Player Classic type application yet that I can just click on a film or tv ep, avi, mp4 or mkv, and just say "Cast This" and watch it on the Chromecast on the tv? I dont mean playing it in a Chrome tab and casting that in super-stutter mode, I mean proper casting like Youtube etc...

There are players that will play local media
    e.g. AllCast, LocalCast

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chromecast#Chrome_and_mobile_apps

• Registered Users Posts: 17,848 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Are they using all the Chromecasts resourses or just workarounds though? Apps like those were being reccomended before the SDK was released and they were all basically broken.

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭kirkfx

Did everybody else's chromecasts get delivered in amazon packaging, I was very confused when I got it out of my parcel motel!?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,557 ✭✭✭GrumPy

Thargor wrote: »
    Are they using all the Chromecasts resourses or just workarounds though? Apps like those were being reccomended before the SDK was released and they were all basically broken.

The SDK has been released a few weeks now, and alot of apps now have/ soon will have antive support. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭lemon_remon

The actual UK version of the chromecast is coming out in a few weeks so you'd probably be better to wait for that.

• Advertisement

The actual UK version of the chromecast is coming out in a few weeks so you'd probably be better to wait for that.
    What will be different about it (other than the optional plug)?

Advertisement