Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Accounting Technician Apprenticeship

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭Vladi_

I've got an email today asking me if I want my application to be resent with batch 4 on 12.07. :( 3000! Wow! All hope is gone now, haha.

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭Dubh73

Just got an email asking if I had been contacted by any employers. It seems I was batch 3, I have requested to be submitted again with batch 4 :-(

Vladi 12.07.3000 ah well I didn’t get a year I just got July 12th :-) looking very doubtful unless those selected do not decide to go through.

No, Garzard said that 3000 applied. :O

Just seen a comment on their ad on Facebook from a girl who had phone interview in March and still didn't get any interviews. I wish I only knew how this system even works.

3000!! Just see Garzards message now that’s depressing especially when you know for a fact most of them don’t really want to do it or will see the 2yrs on min wage. Better start job hunt

• Advertisement

I have a job but no chance for progress there. And no decent money in retail. :( I was considering taking the accounting course but is there a point when I won't have any experience after?

Hi Vladi

Are you at the entry level in retail? I was an area manager in retail for the last two years worse industry I ever came across. The work demanded for the salary is unreal!! I do honestly think you need experience with ATI which is why the apprenticeship appeals to me so much. Any change of becoming retail manager in another store

I'm a cinema manager. Cinema is kind of a specific industry and not doing very good atm and has many different areas and loads of responsibility. The pay is ridiculous. And my cinema is not a part of any big chain so the only progress I can make is if the general manager leaves and she's only new. Also I'm sick of crazy rosters, working all bank holidays, no weekends and coming home at 1am. Too old for that. :( Rant over. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭Garzard

Got the same email today lads. I requested my application be resent also, as I've still heard nothing from the two firms I last interviewed with. I'm staying optimistic and hoping they just haven't selected anyone yet or any other logical reason, but it's getting extremely frustrating. I'd love to contact them and ask for a simple Yes / No answer but this is highly frowned upon and would probably destroy any chance of receiving an offer. Chasing companies up would reek of impatience / desperation.

Sorry to hear that I thought you may have gotten through. Were you submitted at stage 3 also or sooner? Vladi pm sent

• Advertisement

Sorry to hear that I thought you may have gotten through. Were you submitted at stage 3 also or sooner? Vladi pm sent

Finally heard back from one of the companies I was waiting on - despite the excellent interview they're not offering a position. Absolutely fuming.

Garzard wrote: »
    Finally heard back from one of the companies I was waiting on - despite the excellent interview they're not offering a position. Absolutely fuming.

Oh Gosh serious!!!! No wonder you are fuming such a waste of time. For a professional body it is acting in the most unprofessional way, months and months of the unknown making it impossible to plan. There isn’t any need for employers to drag it out they either know they are interested or they are not.

Dubh73 wrote: »
    Oh Gosh serious!!!! No wonder you are fuming such a waste of time. For a professional body it is acting in the most unprofessional way, months and months of the unknown making it impossible to plan. There isn’t any need for employers to drag it out they either know they are interested or they are not.

Very disappointed and feel robbed if I'm honest. I'm not sure it's fair to call it unprofessional - it just unfortunately boils down to the decision of an external HR generally, no matter how well the interview goes so it's out of the hands of the actual partners / managers you interview with. It's never wise to get your hopes up but I really felt by far this one seemed to have the most potential - 4 apprenticeship positions were open and it was by far the best interview out of the lot, was confident I had a 70 -80% chance of success in getting this one. The company I interviewed with the following week on the other hand only had 1 position open they said and more candidates would be interviewing for it, plus I didn't seem to click as well with these managers. I'm still waiting for a reply though so won't write it off entirely.

Vladi congrats on the match tonight :-)

Haha! Thank you! :D Hope you'd be able to say the same tonight. :)

Very disappointed and feel robbed if I'm honest. I'm not sure it's fair to call it unprofessional - it just unfortunately boils down to the decision of an external HR generally, no matter how well the interview goes so it's out of the hands of the actual partners / managers you interview with. It's never wise to get your hopes up but I really felt by far this one seemed to have the most potential - 4 apprenticeship positions were open and it was by far the best interview out of the lot, was confident I had a 70 -80% chance of success in getting this one. The company I interviewed with the following week on the other hand only had 1 position open they said and more candidates would be interviewing for it, plus I didn't seem to click as well with these managers. I'm still waiting for a reply though so won't write it off entirely.

Sorry to hear that. :/ Sounds awful.

Any news guys? :/

• Registered Users Posts: 37 Cov

I am in the same boat as you guys. Still no word, my application was re-sent two weeks ago.

I don't know how accurate any of the following information is as I don't know the guy who told me (I just met him in a bar in Dublin), and I never asked him what firm he worked for, but I spoke with someone who said he works with an accounting firm and I mentioned the apprenticeship, and he had some very disheartening things to say about nepotism going on as part of it. At least where he works. He told me two years ago his firm hired a client's niece, and one of the board member's relatives - both had applied for the apprenticeship. He was not entirely sure they were hired on as apprentices, but he was 90 percent sure. He said both left after about a year because they were not prepared for the schoolwork. This guy was very drunk mind you, so he might have just been screwing with me.

I hope its not true, but that mixed with the 3000 applicants figure mentioned above (if that is also accurate) has pretty much blown my confidence in even getting called for an interview. It's a shame, I know I am absolutely perfect for it even though I am not usual college age.

• Advertisement

Hi Cov

Are you currently in employment? I am unemployed and had remained that way as I thought it would be unfair to a new employer to start and then leave if I got the apprenticeship. I have started the job hunt and put it to the back of my mind.
    Cov wrote: »
    I am in the same boat as you guys. Still no word, my application was re-sent two weeks ago.

I don't know how accurate any of the following information is as I don't know the guy who told me (I just met him in a bar in Dublin), and I never asked him what firm he worked for, but I spoke with someone who said he works with an accounting firm and I mentioned the apprenticeship, and he had some very disheartening things to say about nepotism going on as part of it. At least where he works. He told me two years ago his firm hired a client's niece, and one of the board member's relatives - both had applied for the apprenticeship. He was not entirely sure they were hired on as apprentices, but he was 90 percent sure. He said both left after about a year because they were not prepared for the schoolwork. This guy was very drunk mind you, so he might have just been screwing with me.

I hope its not true, but that mixed with the 3000 applicants figure mentioned above (if that is also accurate) has pretty much blown my confidence in even getting called for an interview. It's a shame, I know I am absolutely perfect for it even though I am not usual college age.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 Cov

Hi Cov

Are you currently in employment? I am unemployed and had remained that way as I thought it would be unfair to a new employer to start and then leave if I got the apprenticeship. I have started the job hunt and put it to the back of my mind.

Hey,

Yes I am currently unemployed and have applied for several positions in the public service which I am still waiting to hear on, and some other things also, but this apprenticeship was really my first choice as it is a very suitable path to a specific career goal I have in mind.

I think I just have to accept that its not going to happen :/

Cov wrote: »
    Hey,

Yes I am currently unemployed and have applied for several positions in the public service which I am still waiting to hear on, and some other things also, but this apprenticeship was really my first choice as it is a very suitable path to a specific career goal I have in mind.

I think I just have to accept that its not going to happen :/

I guess we're all on the same boat. And what you said would explain a lot of things unfortunately. I really had high hopes after the phone interview. :(
    Btw Public services can take months between two stages of interviews (tried that already, haha).

I just don't get why they keep advertising it. It keeps popping on my facebook and instagram making me mad every time. :/

Vladi_ wrote: »
    I just don't get why they keep advertising it. It keeps popping on my facebook and instagram making me mad every time. :/

Hugs given and hugs required, this is soul destroying

Thought I'd inform you all that I've finally received an offer from one of the firms I interviewed with - starting in September. Thrilled but do feel like the rest of you have been screwed around, no updates or interviews whatsoever with your applications???

I am so happy for you after all you seem to have gotten further than us, at least you had an interview with an employer. When do you start? The very best of luck, I am sure you will be great.

Thought I'd inform you all that I've finally received an offer from one of the firms I interviewed with - starting in September. Thrilled but do feel like the rest of you have been screwed around, no updates or interviews whatsoever with your applications???

Delighted for you! Enjoy it and I hope you'll love it. :)

No change with me.

Thanks lads! Interviews are still being held in August because I got called for another two later in the month. I'd consider ringing up and asking what's happening with your applications at this stage. I'd have thought anyone who passed the phone interview would surely be called for at least one interview with a company?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 BJUSTINA97

you should definitely try applying in your area!!!
    I know they have selected firms you can work with but i have found my own place and it was no problem! it makes the job easier for them :)

Advertisement