Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sex is Not Rent

• 18-09-2019 12:44pm
    Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,202 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

https://twitter.com/RuthCoppingerTD/status/1174296581639745537?s=20

Is this where the debate has gone?

That one scumbag represents the entire pool of landlords in this country? Apparently the landlords has too much power!

Context is everything (and aside from the pervert) but how does this relate to the housing crisis? She appears to be leaving freely (and probable understandable). Whether she could afford the rent isnt the issue

How is this linked to the housing crisis?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭heebusjeebus

Was there a similar ad posted on Broadsheet.ie last year?
    I remember it as some old fella looking to provide a room in exchange for "company".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 702 ✭✭✭Portsalon

The thong-waving, brain dead Coppinger seeks publicity and is prepared to post any old tripe on twitter to help her to gain it.

Unfortunately, the opener of this thread has unintentionally helped her to achieve her objective.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,202 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Portsalon wrote: »
    The thong-waving, brain dead Coppinger seeks publicity and is prepared to post any old tripe on twitter to help her to gain it.

Unfortunately, the opener of this thread has unintentionally helped her to achieve her objective.

There maybe voters on here in her constituency. If it helps get her out I'd post it again 1000 times !

• Registered Users Posts: 13,864 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

How does Ruth’s tenant feel about her discussing his texts in the Dail? I’d be making a GDPR complaint if I was him.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,283 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

Am I the only one who actually doesn't really see an issue here, he made her an offer , she said no, thats it. Standard transaction really. Theres no duress or 'ill kick you out if you don't' its an offer she could decline handy, pure and simple.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,131 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

Dav010 wrote: »
    How does Ruth’s tenant feel about her discussing his texts in the Dail? I’d be making a GDPR complaint if I was him.

Oooohhh Ding Dong GDPR

Or Dail privilege probably covers it.

Fcuk Putin. Glory to Ukraine!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,292 ✭✭✭TheBoyConor

There's absolutely no reason to believe that Coppinger didn't just concoct that WhatsApp conversation all by herself as the basis of a nice bit of anti landlord propaganda.

Am I the only one who actually doesn't really see an issue here, he made her an offer , she said no, thats it. Standard transaction really. Theres no duress or 'ill kick you out if you don't' its an offer she could decline handy, pure and simple.

You're actually dead right.

It might be sleazy at but at the end of the day nothing illegal. He asked, she said no, he accepted that. No crime committed, no laws broken.

Jog on Coppinger

• Registered Users Posts: 24,214 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Coppinger is such a gobsh^te

• Registered Users Posts: 35,339 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

You're actually dead right.

It might be sleazy at but at the end of the day nothing illegal. He asked, she said no, he accepted that. No crime committed, no laws broken.

Jog on Coppinger

I thought law changed regarding this. It's illegal for a guy to offer money for sex, but not illegal for a girl to accept. Something crazy like that.

• Advertisement

I thought law changed regarding this. It's illegal for a guy to offer money for sex, but not illegal for a girl to accept. Something crazy like that.

what's crazy about that?

lawred2 wrote: »
    what's crazy about that?

Its like prosecuting drug users but not dealers.

what's crazy about that?

everything

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,676 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

Oooohhh Ding Dong GDPR

GDPR only applies to a company or entity which processes personal data as part of their activities. Doesn't apply to individuals, private citizens or foghorn TDs.

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭Moomoomacshoe

Tabnabs wrote: »
    GDPR only applies to a company or entity which processes personal data as part of their activities. Doesn't apply to individuals, private citizens or foghorn TDs.

Was just going to post same.

He didn't actually ask for sex. And he didn't offer money.

And on the GDPR point, three conversation didn't reveal any personal data like names or phone numbers. It is just an anonymous conversation.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,864 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

Oooohhh Ding Dong GDPR

Think you are taking my post a little bit too literally.

everything

Really? Everything?

Really? Everything?

Absolutely.

Its like prosecuting drug users but not dealers.

Except that in a lot of cases these women aren't 'dealers' by choice..

It's a false equivalence

• Advertisement

Absolutely.

Cool

Yeah, I'm a bit lost, too, to be honest.

I'm sure many tenants would probably love to have that choice. As you say, he didn't wrangle her into a 'get your clothes off or get your stuff packed and be out by 6' kind of situation.

The message seemed polite enough. Sounds like he was just chancing his arm and it didn't work out for him.

What I don't get about it, is how the message ended up on her twitter? did someone actually send it to her? I don't get that part at all. If I was gonna be propositioning a tenant, or if i was a tenant in the situation, I'm not sure how that would turn into a tweet by yer one... unless it's been made up on the spot.

Yeah, I'm a bit lost, too, to be honest.

I'm sure many tenants would probably love to have that choice. As you say, he didn't wrangle her into a 'get your clothes off or get your stuff packed and be out by 6' kind of situation.

The message seemed polite enough. Sounds like he was just chancing his arm and it didn't work out for him.

What I don't get about it, is how the message ended up on her twitter? did someone actually send it to her? I don't get that part at all. If I was gonna be propositioning a tenant, or if i was a tenant in the situation, I'm not sure how that would turn into a tweet by yer one... unless it's been made up on the spot.

its a trend, women screenshot any messages guys send them and upload them to twitter as a "woo look at all the attention I get" kinda thing.

Except that in a lot of cases these women aren't 'dealers' by choice..

It's a false equivalence

not really, people are often forced to deal or mule to pay debts, many are trafficked into countries to work as low level dealers for high level ones. The industries are very similar in that regard.

not really, people are often forced to deal or mule to pay debts, many are trafficked into countries to work as low level dealers for high level ones. The industries are very similar in that regard.

our drug peddlers are predominantly home grown working for our own Irish born gangs so I wouldn't be so sure about the levels of trafficking.

Either way, I'd prefer to see the whole industry legalised and regulated. But while it's not, I think the purchaser should face sanction for knowingly and willingly supporting the trafficking of young girls.

our drug peddlers are predominantly home grown working for our own Irish born gangs so I wouldn't be so sure about the levels of trafficking.

Either way, I'd prefer to see the whole industry legalised and regulated. But while it's not, I think the purchaser should face sanction for knowingly and willingly supporting the trafficking of young girls.

What if he only visits more mature irish women? What if it's other men he's paying?
    What if a women hires a man?

You also can make the argument that punters are similar to drug addicts in that they are addicted to sex enough to pay a lot of money for it - and risk a criminal conviction.

However a bit off topic. This kind of sensationalism is nonsense.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,687 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

There's absolutely no reason to believe that Coppinger didn't just concoct that WhatsApp conversation all by herself as the basis of a nice bit of anti landlord propaganda.

Like Clare Daly and her "Bart's People" letters during the Repeal campaign!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭Scoundrel

Awww the poor landlords the most persecuted people in the land can't a creepy landlord suggest sex as rent without being judged and hounded by leftists?? Can't they make obscene profit off the desperation of others in peace? Can't they charge people to share a bed without judgement? Can't they put too many people in unsafe hellholes without interference? The poor creatures just trying to profit off the misery of others is all.

Scoundrel wrote: »
    Awww the poor landlords the most persecuted people in the land can't a creepy landlord suggest sex as rent without being judged and hounded by leftists?? Can't they make obscene profit off the desperation of others in peace? Can't they charge people to share a bed without judgement? Can't they put too many people in unsafe hellholes without interference? The poor creatures just trying to profit off the misery of others is all.

Mate can you show me what properties produce the returns to be one of these landlords, most that i know are making a few quid on top of the mortgage and the government bends them over arseways to make it barely worth it.

Also we have absolutely no confirmation that this guy is the landlord and not just the flatmate...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,424 ✭✭✭garhjw

Don’t believe a word that comes out of coppingers mouth. What a waste of democracy

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement