Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Lack of chippers serving fresh chips!

• 24-02-2019 3:04am
    Registered Users Posts: 18,101 ✭✭✭✭

Other than Giovanni's and Vinnie's, it's very hard to find fresh cut chips to satisfy the occasional cravings in Galway! Almost everything else is frozen chips which do the job sometimes, but not always!

What happened the traditional Irish chipper?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,855 ✭✭✭Redo91

Haven’t been in ages so maybe it’s dropped in quality but McDonaghs used to be very good.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 477 ✭✭brutes1

Redo91 wrote: »
    Haven’t been in ages so maybe it’s dropped in quality but McDonaghs used to be very good.

Vinnies good have not been impressed with Mcdonaghs recently unfortunately alsthough have been in late Sundays so maybe not best time..
    Snackbox was great...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,834 ✭✭✭?Cee?view

Redo91 wrote: »

McDonaghs really just surviving now on its location and reputation.

Far far better Fish and Chips in Hooked.

Lovely handcut (in front of you) chips in Wholly Cow. Great burgers too!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,964 ✭✭✭testtech05

Not quite in the city center but Jack Jordans out in Doughiska does nice fresh cut chips too.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,190 ✭✭✭bobbyss

?Cee?view wrote:

Yes I never thought much of their chips at all. Never understood what the fuss was all about.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 636 ✭✭✭smurf492

Hooked don't do fresh cut chips... Lovely food though

• Registered Users Posts: 18,101 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Agreed on McDonaghs, but all I'm hearing about is restaurants which is not what I'm after, granted Vinnie's has delicious chips, but they're not the traditional Irish chipper chips. (If that's at all understandable)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,385 ✭✭✭inisboffin

Giovannis chips are nice (place that was formerly 10 million things) down from Taylor's - not sure if they are fresh cut or not but better than Vinny's imo as they have less shrapnel and ancient chips (some people prefer shrapnel chips but not my thing).

• Registered Users Posts: 4,385 ✭✭✭inisboffin

JCX BXC wrote: »
    Agreed on McDonaghs, but all I'm hearing about is restaurants which is not what I'm after, granted Vinnie's has delicious chips, but they're not the traditional Irish chipper chips. (If that's at all understandable)

Do Jack Jordan's? I am the other side of town so don't know, but hear it's a good chipper? What about Norios?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,634 ✭✭✭jenno86

Chips in Wholly Cow Burgers are great. You can see them cutting them fresh on front of you also which is a plus!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,016 ✭✭✭Paddico

?Cee?view wrote: »

Far far better Fish and Chips in Hooked.

Lovely handcut (in front of you) chips in Wholly Cow. Great burgers too!

No I disagree. Pop in there about 3 times a year as I dont live in Galway anymore. There again last month and still the best I've ever had.

No bull

• Registered Users Posts: 2,834 ✭✭✭?Cee?view

Paddico wrote: »
    No I disagree. Pop in there about 3 times a year as I dont live in Galway anymore. There again last month and still the best I've ever had.

No bull

Fair enough. There is a unique atmosphere and almost a sense of occasion going in there. If you like Fish and Chips though, you should give Hooked a go as well.

Advertisement