Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Is it time to stop eating meat?

• 02-02-2017 7:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,758 ✭✭✭✭TeddyTedson

First off I will admit that I absolutely love and adore the taste of meat.
    There is no better feeling than waking up with a hangover on a Sunday morning and being treated to a plate packed with sausages and bacon by your significant other. :)

However, having so many farmed animals on the planet is a major factor in terms of climate change. People feel so passionately about protecting the planet and there is directive of being green in terms of many aspects of industry. This is people driven. I'm just wondering if we a species will eventually come to the conclusion that in order to survive we will need to all change our diets?

I'm intrigued to find out how other people feel about it. I personally feel like I am addicted to meat and cannot imagine myself being able to quit. Would we start to see sausages start appearing on the black market if we were to ban eating meat similar to crystal meth and ketamine?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,390 ✭✭✭XsApollo

I'm off to Supermacs for a snack box.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,152 ✭✭✭Rented Mule

NO!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭Burial.

Na, I'd rather not become a miserable twat who has to tell every person they meet they don't consume animal products.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,960 ✭✭✭Dr Crayfish

Drastically reducing red meat consumption would be a move in the right direction. You won't get much love for the suggestion here though.

• Advertisement

Burial. wrote: »
    Na, I'd rather not become a miserable twat who has to tell every person they meet they don't consume animal products.

You're just repeating a tired cliché

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭joejoe87

I'm conflicted , I love the taste of certain meats but I'm very aware of animal welfare and the general effects on the planet. When the lab grown meat becomes affordable I'd switch completely to laboratory grown meat and I'd definitely be willing to pay more for it

• Registered Users Posts: 7,423 ✭✭✭Hande hoche!

Under that rationale, the future diet would consist of things such as Quorn, synthetic meat and solyent. Things like avocados, exotic salad and almonds would also cease to be grown. The aforementioned are terrible in terms of water usage.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,268 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

I'd start eating my own limbs before I'd resort to becoming a veggie.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 681 ✭✭✭Mr. FoggPatches

You can't win. You farm cattle until they're ready for the factory and you get sh*t about methane causing global warming but if you eradicate the methane production by producing veal, you're a monster

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,203 ✭✭✭Parchment

It was time a long time ago. People dont care though because "MEAT IS SO YUMMY".

• Registered Users Posts: 11,170 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

For every person who goes "green".... There are 1000 people who don't care.

I am one of those 1000 :pac:

Cattle, chickens and sheep would probably be extinct now if we didn't farm then.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

No nay never

• Registered Users Posts: 4,781 ✭✭✭KungPao

Time to stop eating so much of it, at least. Our consumption of it is crazy these days.

Forget about giving up meat completely. How about halving what you eat? We eat way too much of it. Most of it processed, which contributes greatly to colo-rectal and bowel cancers. Why not?
    This whole "LOL no way bacon tastes too yummy :D:D" is just ignorance at the highest level. Your kids will suffer the way things are going, we have no idea what their kids are in for. We consume way too much meat and meat production has a negative impact on the planet. Why would you not want to do your bit?

Another thing - why can't we just let our seas replenish for a few years? Subsidise fishermen, or do whatever we have to do to keep them happy, and just let our stocks grow again. Why is everyone so short sighted?

Forget about giving up meat completely. How about halving what you eat? We eat way too much of it. Most of it processed, which contributes greatly to colo-rectal and bowel cancers. Why not?
    This whole "LOL no way bacon tastes too yummy :D:D" is just ignorance at the highest level. Your kids will suffer the way things are going, we have no idea what their kids are in for. We consume way too much meat and meat production has a negative impact on the planet. Why would you not want to do your bit?

Another thing - why can't we just let our seas replenish for a few years? Subsidise fishermen, or do whatever we have to do to keep them happy, and just let our stocks grow again. Why is everyone so short sighted?

No meat, no fish? What's left?

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭joejoe87

Simpsons "don't forget! If the cow could he'd kill you and everyone you care about."

• Registered Users Posts: 4,781 ✭✭✭KungPao

Lentils. Lentils for breakfast, lunch and dinner.

Just cut down. Did my parents eat meat 3 or 4 times a day? No. They ate way less of everything than us. Take a look at family photos from the 60s or 70s. No fat people. Just healthy looking slim folk. We're heading in the wrong direction.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭-=al=-

A serious answer in After hours? Surely not!

Well maybe...

I've just cut down a lot and embraced a lot of vegetarian/vegan food along with a better diet. Less moo cow milk and more alternative milks. The same with spreads and other things. Plenty of alternatives widely available now that are better for you, the animals and the environment!

I still enjoy the odd beef burger once in a while but maybe only a few times a year at this rate... and if I really had to give them up, I'd probably be just fine.

When it comes to eating meat it's usually salmon and chicken + the odd sneaky rasher or sausage once in a while. Grilled salmon can be just as good as bacon and veggie sausages can be just as nice as the real thing. Quorn bacon isn't really the same but it does the job.

Processed meats are just so bad that the veggie alternatives are even nicer tbh.

I've eaten all sorts of the usual meats and some strange ones like kangaroo, crocodile, snake, ostrich, puffin, whale, shark, horse, and who knows what dodgy foods I was given in Asia, but on a daily and weekly basis I've totally cut down on the old meat consumption.

It's important to try new things and small changes can lead to big ones and all that jazz

• Registered Users Posts: 14,189 ✭✭✭✭elperello

Just try cutting down to one portion of meat a day and see how you get on.
    If that works out for you then try a meat free day once a week.
    After a while you could try a second day and if that suits you then you are down to five portions a week which is not bad.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

You don't win friends with salad!

But, no, seriously, it's vital that we reduce consumption. The current levels are just not sustainable. Most people would rather cover their ears than have to hear that though.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

I never thought I'd say it but I started to cut back in the last year. This could well have coincided with my discovery of the mighty falafel (savage yokes!). Also I'd like the planet to be in some sort of fit state for the baby to grow up in.

theteal wrote: »
    I never thought I'd say it but I started to cut back in the last year. This could well have coincided with my discovery of the mighty falafel (savage yokes!). Also I'd like the planet to be in some sort of fit state for the baby to grow up in.

Good man. That's exactly what I like to hear. I'm not a veggie, but I rarely eat beef or lamb or pork (no pun intended) and I'm trying to cut down on the rest.
    Apparently factory chicken is the greenest meat you can eat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭DoozerT6

Apparently factory chicken is the greenest meat you can eat.

Do mean the most environmentally friendly?

DoozerT6 wrote: »
    Do mean the most environmentally friendly?

Yeah well I mean it has the least negative environmental impact. It's still a really horrendous practice :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭DoozerT6

Yeah well I mean it has the least negative environmental impact. It's still a really horrendous practice :(

It sure is :(

• Advertisement

For every person who goes "green".... There are 1000 people who don't care.

I am one of those 1000 :pac:

God you're so hilarious :D
    No but really that kind of makes you a bit of an assh*le.

Advertisement