Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Apps for iPhone / iPod touch

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭abouttobebanned

ok...a quick look through my phone...

Here are my favourite apps at the moment:

FACEBOOK - Handy for updating the work sites.
    Toodledo - My to do list...I add them online and then it syncs to the phone. My calendar is also synced with my gmail calendar.
    PING - I'm deisesupes on ping if anyone wants to ping me
    APP CRATE - Loads of cool **** in one app
    Winterboard - For updating the themes of my phone (from cydia - jailbroken)
    Sky News and Sky Sports - Sports is a very slow app and loses as much as three stars for that fact. But it would appear that I'm not actually rating these apps so that's irrelevant.
    EBAY - For my buying and bidding on the go!
    *snip*
    Butcher - For all my meat advice
    Drunkalizer - Great fun - make people sound pissed
    Nike + - for eh...keeping up with my workouts. Must get around to using this particular app actually. Whenever I sync the phone it sends info to nike plus...from my walk with the dog up the fields.
    Bookreader - For reading ebooks
    Boggle - One of many word based puzzles i have. Not my fav though..will get to that.
    Irelandcinematimes - Great for...you know...finding out cinema times
    Word warp - another good word puzzle game..still not the fav tho
    Text Twist 2 - My fav word puzzle game. Great fun.
    Demotivation - I love all those posters. they make me lol as the kids say
    Daft.ie - So I can annoy myself daily with how cheaper the house is across the road then what i paid for my own.
    Fake caller - Great for getting rid of annoying people who are talking to me. "I really better take this Jim...yea..yep...I'll catch up with ya later...eh hello?...ah Mick how are ya..."
    Eurosport - Excellent app. Was following the aussie open on this sunday morning cause I forgot it was on BBC
    Fake Text - More fake fun
    Empire Guide - Great little movie guide although some of their reviewers are a bit too generous
    Irish Independent - Handy Irish news app
    RTE 1, 2fm, RTE news - all very good
    Family Feud - The american family fortunes - this is brilliant.
    IEphonebook - this used to be very handy but doesn't work anymore
    i powersaver - tells you what you need to do to save battery
    Irish weather - grand app
    Oldbooth - makes you look like a 1970s nerd. fun little app
    Planets - Brilliant app if you have any interest in all things astronomical
    PSmobile - mini photoshop for the iphone
    #1 hits - for telling people what was number one when they were born. Aren't I just a treat to go on a night out with?
    PGAtour - for keeping up with my 10 year old favourite golfer
    pic2shop - Scan barcodes and see how much stuff is
    My bill - to see when O2 will be cutting me off
    Racing Post - Brilliant app
    SHOUTcast - great internet radio app. some great movie scores stations
    SKY+ - recording programmes on my SKy + when I'm out and about. I've never used it but handy
    Stop it free - A great game when you're in a pub...everyone puts in a quid to have a goo at stopping the clock on exactly 5:00...sounds incredibly sad...but really is fun
    Sexy coupons - Send them to random people in the hope of a handjob in the handicapped toilets
    Textropolis - go around the world and try to make as many words using the letters from each city
    Yahtzee adventures - My absolute favourite app cause I love yahtzee. This is a game based around it.
    20 min meals - Jame Oliver shows me how to cook stuff
    Where's Waldo - Cause you know, sometimes you can be that bored
    XE - converting my currency since May 2009
    Scramble 2 - another good word game
    World facts - facts about...the world!
    TodayFM - sometimes people send me texts "todayfm" which means I'm supposed to find a radio and tune in to hear some song that is supposed to mean the world to me. It sometimes does in fairness...at least i don't have to find a radio now to hear it
    WFM2009 - a footie manager game that i haven't got around to playing yet
    TWI - texting while intoxicated...americans taking pics of their friends stripping while pissed. Not a time to be decorating in my opinion.
    UK-Ireland - TOM TOM GPRS
    Ifry - a sausage sizzling on a frying pan. genius.
    Fantasy football, or to quote the name properly Fntsyfoot09 - Great for updating my team on the go
    FHM - daily smut and jokes and facts of the day
    Fake coversation - another fake one...but this time there's actually a voice on the other end of the line.
    Dexter - Game of the TV show
    FFM - Fantasy football app telling me who's injured and suspended etc.
    Experimenter - loads of cool experiments...like putting mentos into pepsi and what not
    GTA - grand theft auto for the iphone
    Sleep Cycle - put it beside your pillow and it tracks your sleep cycle and wakes you gradually so you'll feel more refreshed in the morning. Would work great if I didn't work for myself and have no real reason to ever set an alarm
    Sex position - you can never know enough of these.
    SI movies - that DVD board game, SCENE it...for the iphone - loads of fun
    PDC darts - good fun
    Shrek Karting - like mario kart...great little game (that I've played for about 5 seconds..like most other games to be hoenst)
    Scoreboard - a darts scoreboard
    Live cams - cams from all over the world
    3D camera - take shots and turn them into 3d
    Wunderradio - another great internet radio app
    Trailers international - trailers.
    Trivial Pursuit - the game.
    Toon Effects - This is brilliant....loads of sound effects from cartoons
    Iblacklist. The reason I love my jailbroken Iphone. I even paid 13 dollars for the registered version of this.
    And that'll do yiz for now!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Leiva

ok...a quick look through my phone...

Here are my favourite apps at the moment:

FACEBOOK - Handy for updating the work sites.
    Toodledo - My to do list...I add them online and then it syncs to the phone. My calendar is also synced with my gmail calendar.
    PING - I'm deisesupes on ping if anyone wants to ping me
    APP CRATE - Loads of cool **** in one app
    Winterboard - For updating the themes of my phone (from cydia - jailbroken)
    Sky News and Sky Sports - Sports is a very slow app and loses as much as three stars for that fact. But it would appear that I'm not actually rating these apps so that's irrelevant.
    EBAY - For my buying and bidding on the go!
    *snip*
    Butcher - For all my meat advice
    Drunkalizer - Great fun - make people sound pissed
    Nike + - for eh...keeping up with my workouts. Must get around to using this particular app actually. Whenever I sync the phone it sends info to nike plus...from my walk with the dog up the fields.
    Bookreader - For reading ebooks
    Boggle - One of many word based puzzles i have. Not my fav though..will get to that.
    Irelandcinematimes - Great for...you know...finding out cinema times
    Word warp - another good word puzzle game..still not the fav tho
    Text Twist 2 - My fav word puzzle game. Great fun.
    Demotivation - I love all those posters. they make me lol as the kids say
    Daft.ie - So I can annoy myself daily with how cheaper the house is across the road then what i paid for my own.
    Fake caller - Great for getting rid of annoying people who are talking to me. "I really better take this Jim...yea..yep...I'll catch up with ya later...eh hello?...ah Mick how are ya..."
    Eurosport - Excellent app. Was following the aussie open on this sunday morning cause I forgot it was on BBC
    Fake Text - More fake fun
    Empire Guide - Great little movie guide although some of their reviewers are a bit too generous
    Irish Independent - Handy Irish news app
    RTE 1, 2fm, RTE news - all very good
    Family Feud - The american family fortunes - this is brilliant.
    IEphonebook - this used to be very handy but doesn't work anymore
    i powersaver - tells you what you need to do to save battery
    Irish weather - grand app
    Oldbooth - makes you look like a 1970s nerd. fun little app
    Planets - Brilliant app if you have any interest in all things astronomical
    PSmobile - mini photoshop for the iphone
    #1 hits - for telling people what was number one when they were born. Aren't I just a treat to go on a night out with?
    PGAtour - for keeping up with my 10 year old favourite golfer
    pic2shop - Scan barcodes and see how much stuff is
    My bill - to see when O2 will be cutting me off
    Racing Post - Brilliant app
    SHOUTcast - great internet radio app. some great movie scores stations
    SKY+ - recording programmes on my SKy + when I'm out and about. I've never used it but handy
    Stop it free - A great game when you're in a pub...everyone puts in a quid to have a goo at stopping the clock on exactly 5:00...sounds incredibly sad...but really is fun
    Sexy coupons - Send them to random people in the hope of a handjob in the handicapped toilets
    Textropolis - go around the world and try to make as many words using the letters from each city
    Yahtzee adventures - My absolute favourite app cause I love yahtzee. This is a game based around it.
    20 min meals - Jame Oliver shows me how to cook stuff
    Where's Waldo - Cause you know, sometimes you can be that bored
    XE - converting my currency since May 2009
    Scramble 2 - another good word game
    World facts - facts about...the world!
    TodayFM - sometimes people send me texts "todayfm" which means I'm supposed to find a radio and tune in to hear some song that is supposed to mean the world to me. It sometimes does in fairness...at least i don't have to find a radio now to hear it
    WFM2009 - a footie manager game that i haven't got around to playing yet
    TWI - texting while intoxicated...americans taking pics of their friends stripping while pissed. Not a time to be decorating in my opinion.
    UK-Ireland - TOM TOM GPRS
    Ifry - a sausage sizzling on a frying pan. genius.
    Fantasy football, or to quote the name properly Fntsyfoot09 - Great for updating my team on the go
    FHM - daily smut and jokes and facts of the day
    Fake coversation - another fake one...but this time there's actually a voice on the other end of the line.
    Dexter - Game of the TV show
    FFM - Fantasy football app telling me who's injured and suspended etc.
    Experimenter - loads of cool experiments...like putting mentos into pepsi and what not
    GTA - grand theft auto for the iphone
    Sleep Cycle - put it beside your pillow and it tracks your sleep cycle and wakes you gradually so you'll feel more refreshed in the morning. Would work great if I didn't work for myself and have no real reason to ever set an alarm
    Sex position - you can never know enough of these.
    SI movies - that DVD board game, SCENE it...for the iphone - loads of fun
    PDC darts - good fun
    Shrek Karting - like mario kart...great little game (that I've played for about 5 seconds..like most other games to be hoenst)
    Scoreboard - a darts scoreboard
    Live cams - cams from all over the world
    3D camera - take shots and turn them into 3d
    Wunderradio - another great internet radio app
    Trailers international - trailers.
    Trivial Pursuit - the game.
    Toon Effects - This is brilliant....loads of sound effects from cartoons
    Iblacklist. The reason I love my jailbroken Iphone. I even paid 13 dollars for the registered version of this.
    And that'll do yiz for now!

You have been a busy boy !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭abouttobebanned

Lol some would say I've been the total opposite.

When I come in from work at about 2:30 am I can never get to sleep...so just lay in bed playing with the phone...Also, I don't watch television! That frees up quite a bit of time.

.Also, I don't watch television! That frees up quite a bit of time.

Not for much longer...heres an great App your missing .

TVUPlayer ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 168 ✭✭francie BradyII

Concert Vault, found it yesterday, it's already my favorite app. A must for all music lovers. You can access over 2950 live concert recordings some dating back to the 60s. And it's FREE, works on 3g too

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,095 ✭✭✭✭ Heaven Worried Thinner

I got the Logitech Touch Mouse app the other night and i'm very very impressed with it :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,684 ✭✭✭MoodeRator

Bryn wrote: »
    I got the Logitech Touch Mouse app the other night and i'm very very impressed with it :D

I must try that! I have just started using Air Mouse whic I use to control my HTPC and it is superb!

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭dazedandlost

mixednuts wrote: »

TVUPlayer ;)

Mixednuts, is this app good, I have the light version which is not bad but reviews of full version are not great?

Mixednuts, is this app good, I have the light version which is not bad but reviews of full version are not great?

I find it grand to be honest , I only view files with a bandwidth of <290.
    There are lots and lots of channels ( mostly foreign) I just have most of the British and RTE as faviourites , and like browsing the others .

• Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Sype
    Echofon (free version) for Twitter
    Facebook
    Foursquare
    XE.com
    Flickr (brilliant app)
    Amsterdam (a city guide for Amsterdam as I'm working over there right now)
    London Tube map
    Entertain Me (from entertainment.ie)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,589 ✭✭✭Hail 2 Da Chimp

Great thread guys,
    Was just wondering: Can anyone recommend a free SMS application? I have a vodafone.ie account but rarely use any web texts.
    Can anyone recommend an App which will synch up to that account to send free texts?

I am using an iTouch - so will be connecting over wi-fi, if thats an issue.

Ninja edit: I've checked the Apps page and seen the message for the Jelly Bean Free App - can anyone recommend it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 doneill2003

did you get the iphone from IOS or O2

• Registered Users Posts: 3,906 ✭✭✭J-blk

Was just wondering: Can anyone recommend a free SMS application? I have a vodafone.ie account but rarely use any web texts.
    Can anyone recommend an App which will synch up to that account to send free texts?

That's exactly what EirText does (syncs to your Vodafone/O2/Meteor web account)... the basic edition is free.

Cool stuff J-blk, is it any good? Have you used it?

Cool stuff J-blk, is it any good? Have you used it?

There's actually a desktop version for Mac OS X, which I use a lot more and it's great. The basic free iPhone version has worked well for me too, does exactly what it says on the tin really... Since it can access the phone contacts, it's much handier than using Vodafone's site directly and that's the best thing about it. It's free anyway, so why not give it a go?

Will do - thanks for the advice!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 doneill2003

J-blk wrote: »
    There's actually a desktop version for Mac OS X, which I use a lot more and it's great. The basic free iPhone version has worked well for me too, does exactly what it says on the tin really... Since it can access the phone contacts, it's much handier than using Vodafone's site directly and that's the best thing about it. It's free anyway, so why not give it a go?

Hi there did u get ur iphone from IOS and if so how long were you waiting for it, thanks

Hi there did u get ur iphone from IOS and if so how long were you waiting for it, thanks

That's kinda off topic for this thread :) - I'm sure someone will post in your other thread about IOS delivery... no need to post in other threads instead... FWIW, no, I didn't get my iPhone from IOS or O2 :D...

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭gartcork

mixednuts wrote: »

TVUPlayer ;)

Bought this on your recommendation..... :) Very impressed.
    It's a great app. Try the lite version first before you buy. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭dazedandlost

gartcork wrote: »
    Bought this on your recommendation..... :) Very impressed.
    It's a great app. Try the lite version first before you buy. :D

Hi Gart,

I have the lite version and its not bad.

Could you let me know how full version runs for you over wifi and 3g?

Is stream good quality?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭gartcork

Hi Gart,

I have the lite version and its not bad.

Could you let me know how full version runs for you over wifi and 3g?

Is stream good quality?
    Works perfect for me over 3g and edge!!
    Obviously it takes a little longer to load/buffer and as MixedNuts said ideally stick to channels with a bandwidth of 290 or less.
    I have four TV's at home and I still watched Match of the Day on my iPhone just because I could!!!
    I showed it to a few guys in work today and they all downloaded it straight away.
    Hope this helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 751 ✭✭✭greenie

Concert Vault, found it yesterday, it's already my favorite app. A must for all music lovers. You can access over 2950 live concert recordings some dating back to the 60s. And it's FREE, works on 3g too

Downloaded this app after your recomendation and I love it! Thanks francie:)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,849 ✭✭✭Cianos

My favourite apps (so far)

Dropbox (allows access to view large files you can store online)
    ToDo (the best "to do" app I've come across yet)
    BatteryMaster (more precise battery info giving remaining times for various usages of the phone)
    Shazam (hold the mic up to any song being played and it'll tell you what it is)
    Dictionary (offline access to full dictionary)
    Flashlight (via Cydia, way better than the app store ones in that it automatically maximises the brightness upon launch, and restores it back after closing)
    Guitar Toolkit (very nice app with a big chord library and even a mic-based guitar tuner)
    iVideoCamera (for 3g phones, lets you record video and works quite well)
    Skype (make cheap calls to anywhere in the world - use 3g unrestrictor and it'll work outside of wi-fi too)
    Sleep Cycle (Haven't used it much, but it's supposed to wake you in the morning at the ideal stage of sleep so that you'll wake up feeling refreshed. Records your sleep patterns overnight too.)
    Imageshack/Photobucket (very handy, take a photo with the phone and upload it immediately online)
    AppBox Pro (A bunch of useful mini-apps like convertors, rulers, spirit level etc)
    SketchBookx (pretty good sketching app that has layers)
    Palringo (amalgamates google talk, MSN and other chat apps in to one contact list)
    Dessid (Hack a lot of Eircom router passwords)
    RulerPhone (Use a credit card as a reference measurement then use the phones camera to tell the height of stuff)
    Pumps.ie (Community driven price comparison for local fuel)
    iHandyLevel (spirit level)
    Ocarina (Play your phone like an Ocarina :) )
    TouchMouse (Tested this last night and it works great. Lets you use your phone as a trackpad, very handy if you have your computer hooked up to the TV. Even lets you pull up a keyboard so you don't need anything else for browsing)
    Scooter XL (Rat on a scooter...great game :D )
    Starmap (A map of the stars based on your location and time of day. Very impressive)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

Some of mine that I don't think have been mentioned yet:

Movie Genie: An IMDB app with great interface, I had been just using a bookmark from Safari but this is miles better.

PixUp: Handy for uploading photos to Facebook or Picasa, particularly when you don't have the usb cable handy and want to see them on a computer.

Empire Movie Guide: Reviews for thousands of films over the years from film magazine Empire. The reviews are stored in-app, so you don't have to go online to access them.

Akinator: This is a terrific app that will kill hours of boredom. Think of a character, either real or fictional, and Akinator will predict who it is using a 20-questions type approach. Only it takes far less than 20. You can try it online too: http://uk.akinator.com/

Stanza: Great ebook reader.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 688 ✭✭✭lalee17

Latest one I've been using a lot.. It's a game called Dark Nebula. Pretty simple accelerometer based game, but the graphics are unreal.

J-blk wrote: »
    That's exactly what EirText does (syncs to your Vodafone/O2/Meteor web account)... the basic edition is free.

Have tried the free EirText and Jelly SMS, both work very well but Jelly sends an advert URL in each text, which is annoying.

So I'll be sticking to Eirtext - very easy to use and setup as well.

Some great ideas in here!

Thank you , thank you , thank you ... Why ain't I heard if this before , I am an App whore ? Must have missed it some how.

If you like your music this is a must .
    Just finished listening to the Boomtown Rats recording ( San Diago 1979) Geldolf rattling on before each song , pure magic ! Especially just before they play "Dont like Mondays" , he talks a bit and tells how this song was only finished days earlier ... Pure nugget of musical gold right there.

Love the way it's only live concerts and not studio recordings , always guaranteed to get that little bit more interaction .

I am hooked .... Only 15,000+ more tracks to listen to :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 14 McBain!

Hi
    Not sure if this is the best place to post this question but I was wondering if anyone could offer any advice or point me to a more relevant thread....
    I was downloading the Jamie Oliver App from the app store on my iphone but as the file was to large, i was told to connect to itunes on my pc and download it there.
    I was at work at the time so I downloaded onto itunes on my work laptop.
    When I connected my phone to sync, it said it would replace all the apps on my phone with the apps in "this itunes library" (ie....just the Jamie Oliver one! - everything else is on my itunes library on my personal laptop)
    Anyone know how I can transfer to my iphone without loosing all my other apps or paying for the app again

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 9,820 ✭✭✭grames_bond

McBain! wrote: »
    Hi
    Not sure if this is the best place to post this question but I was wondering if anyone could offer any advice or point me to a more relevant thread....
    I was downloading the Jamie Oliver App from the app store on my iphone but as the file was to large, i was told to connect to itunes on my pc and download it there.
    I was at work at the time so I downloaded onto itunes on my work laptop.
    When I connected my phone to sync, it said it would replace all the apps on my phone with the apps in "this itunes library" (ie....just the Jamie Oliver one! - everything else is on my itunes library on my personal laptop)
    Anyone know how I can transfer to my iphone without loosing all my other apps or paying for the app again

Thanks

when you connect your iphone set it to "update songs, apps etc manually" then when you sync the phone it wont transfer anything across untill you click and drag it to the iphone itself!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14 McBain!

when you connect your iphone set it to "update songs, apps etc manually" then when you sync the phone it wont transfer anything across untill you click and drag it to the iphone itself!

Thanks for replying. Im already aware of that and I have set the settings to sync manually. Im still getting a warning message that all apps will be deleted and replaced with the one in that library.
    As for click and drag....I dont seem to have that option

Advertisement