Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Submitting Photos to TV3 Weather or Rte Weather?

• 10-01-2010 9:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭

With all the snow recently, and with the amount of photos people posted in the Snow Photos thread, I was wondering whether many on the Boards Photography section submit to the tv weather programmes???
    Would you ever submit a photo you put value on or was decent quality to these stations?? Just saw the amount of photos that Rte have up on their site and interested to hear others views...

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,046 ✭✭✭democrates

It's nice to see RTE receive donated content and I applaud the citizens who do their bit for the good of the nation. We're in a recession and they've been forced to fill air time with ads telling us to pay the tv licence. I probably need to see the ad a few more thousand times, even though I've already paid as usual, but what's sunk in so far is that there are dire consequences for failure to pay, they've heard all the excuses so actually the recession doesn't count.

Ok that doesn't sound great but it's important to remember that the licence fees are crucial to motivate our broadcasting stars to dazzle, fascinate, and reduce us to tears of laughter on a daily basis. I for one would be happy to pay double the current fee because we're all in this together, and such is my gratitude to our selfless heroic patriotic talking heads.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭pixbyjohn

I will answer your question without any drivel :rolleyes:
    I have submitted 3 photos to TV3 and 1 was shown after the weather with Martin King.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭xia

I sent some to RTE. Not sure if they used one (probably not;)). Don't see many on their website and didn't find the time to watch TV today...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭Masada

I sent one into TV3 once and it was featured, they then did the charity book thing were they printed the best picks of the submissions too.

Its not exactly hard to get featured though, theres some very point and shoot looking photos on there, just as long as it looks interesting. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭tororosso

Thanks Guys,

Not really sure if I was thinking much along the lines of the tv licence question when I posted this!!

Its interesting to hear back from people who have submitted photos and I was wondering Masada: do they still do that charity book for the weather or what??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,735 ✭✭✭mikeanywhere

What sizes are they sent as ie full size at 72dpi/300dpi or 500pixels at longest side etc??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,764 ✭✭✭Valentia

Imagine. Sending a pic to TV3!! Jazus, I'd have to watch it then to see if they showed it..... No thanks ;-)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

I had some photo's in an Ad that was on TV3 between Xmas & New Year. I have a copy of the Ad as a WMV file but did not see it when broadcast.

What sizes are they sent as ie full size at 72dpi/300dpi or 500pixels at longest side etc??

I sent in full size jpegs 300dpi

I think TV3 did the charity book one year only.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,924 ✭✭✭Nforce

Same deal...sent in one pic to TV3 and it was featured on MK's weather program.

tororosso wrote: »
    Not really sure if I was thinking much along the lines of the tv licence question when I posted this!!
    Ok without the sarcasm then: if you send in a photo there is the question of what license you grant in doing so and your focus of concern is photos upon which you'd place a value.

It would be nice to know the thought process behind other posters sending shots in. I can guess that the mix of motivations include being happy to share, enjoying the bit of fame, and anticipating potential value in being attributed for the work. In any case the message so far seems to be a unanimous "no regrets" which is good to hear.

Those who don't send photos can also have their reasons. Weighing against the motives above, some people couldn't be bothered, or the potential reward is not worth it, or they might want to enter the photo in a competition where the rules stipulate entries must not have been published before.

Others like me also consider points within a wider frame : RTE are quite happy to be funded by the tv license fees we're amply warned to pay, but also to receive the work of photographers under a licence where no fee is forthcoming. It strikes me as an unfair double-standard so I'm not inclined to sign up to those terms.

Granted this is voluntary and it's worse when media outlets steal photographs but in general I don't see a rosy future in photographers being expected to work so cheaply.

democrates, I sent my 3 photos to TV3. I suppose my main reason was to see 1 of them on television and be able to "boast" that one of my photos was selected to be shown. Vanity on my part but maybe its the same for me when I post a photo on Boards.ie !
    I can understand where you stand in regards submitting a photo.

• Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭tororosso

democrates wrote: »
    Ok without the sarcasm then: if you send in a photo there is the question of what license you grant in doing so and your focus of concern is photos upon which you'd place a value.

It would be nice to know the thought process behind other posters sending shots in. I can guess that the mix of motivations include being happy to share, enjoying the bit of fame, and anticipating potential value in being attributed for the work. In any case the message so far seems to be a unanimous "no regrets" which is good to hear.

Those who don't send photos can also have their reasons. Weighing against the motives above, some people couldn't be bothered, or the potential reward is not worth it, or they might want to enter the photo in a competition where the rules stipulate entries must not have been published before.

Others like me also consider points within a wider frame : RTE are quite happy to be funded by the tv license fees we're amply warned to pay, but also to receive the work of photographers under a licence where no fee is forthcoming. It strikes me as an unfair double-standard so I'm not inclined to sign up to those terms.

Granted this is voluntary and it's worse when media outlets steal photographs but in general I don't see a rosy future in photographers being expected to work so cheaply.

Democrates, I never intended any sarcasm in my response to you raising the tv llicence issue. I just never really thought about it from that perspective and was more concerned with the issues, which you have addressed, people might have with sending their work in and under what terms and conditions etc.

The point you make above is quite a strong one as it argues that RTE is charging people for the service (that many dont use) while asking people to supply them with a photographic service free of charge. They will always get people who are not really into photography sending in photos but I suppose my original post was trying to find out would anybody with a "decent" enough photo be happy to send it in to either station for weather?? Some people seem happy enough but I suppose the real question, irrespective of not getting paid for it, is: Under what terms are these photos received??
    Can RTE and TV3 claim to own the rights to use the photographs even for non weather related purposes??

Just like the threads people bring up about the terms and conditions of the photo grabbing competitions, I am interested to hear who might be put off submitting photographs to the Weather bulletins on this basis alone?!

You did raise another issue as well: If a photograph was shown by Martin King on the TV3 weather bulletin is it realistic to say that it would not qualify for a comeptition where it is stipulated that the photograph has not been published before??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 94 ✭✭ro09

With all the snow recently, and with the amount of photos people posted in the Snow Photos thread, I was wondering whether many on the Boards Photography section submit to the tv weather programmes???
    Would you ever submit a photo you put value on or was decent quality to these stations?? Just saw the amount of photos that Rte have up on their site and interested to hear others views...

My brother was a runner up one year in the RTE weather comp, his picture appeared on a few occasions on the backdrop to the weather forecast. So I suppose it would give you some satisfaction to see your photo appear on tv.

Democrates, I never intended any sarcasm in my response to you raising the tv llicence issue.
    Ah no worries bud I got what you meant ok and was referring to my own post as sarcastic there not yours! Was in a satirical mood but of course we all have different tastes in these things, Vincent Brown regularly makes me laugh for example when he turns Dame Edna on some guest but I know others who can't stand him.

Anyway back on topic I'd have assumed that a photo shown on tv would count as having been published, though granted it's probably down to how strictly any given competition applies the rule, eg would a flickr or pix.ie appearance be a problem? If your photo was in 2nd place but the 1st place winner had been featured on a TV weather report, you might well be tempted to raise that with the judging panel...

Advertisement