Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

DCM 2018 - Mentored Novice Thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭skyblue46

Rossi7 wrote: »
    You’ll see on my Strava exactly the point were I’ll get lost ��

Google Maps is your friend! :D

So good luck to anyone racing tomorrow. Remember one thing which will also be vitally important come DCM day, stick to your planned pace from the gun. Don't get caught up in the charge from the line and run a ridiculously fast first mile. That would come back to haunt you. Stay with your plan and finish strong. Run well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,250 ✭✭✭coogy

skyblue46 wrote: »
    So good luck to anyone racing tomorrow. Remember one thing which will also be vitally important come DCM day, stick to your planned pace from the gun. Don't get caught up in the charge from the line and run a ridiculously fast first mile. That would come back to haunt you. Stay with your plan and finish strong. Run well.

Cheers!

I've been doing the entire race in my head for the last couple of days! :D

No excuse to mess it up!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,020 ✭✭✭Kellygirl

Best of luck everybody! Enjoy the races you are doing and I second Skyblue’s advice. Build up to your pace rather than taking off and having to slow back down to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭Dealerz2.0

Got my half marathon in this evening running home from work again. Delighted and tired in equal measure.

Things I noticed:

Felt great in first 3 miles, really felt the miles from 4-6, then felt energised again from 9-13, but don’t think I’d make it to 14 miles on today’s energy levels, so now my head is thinking how am i going to be able to double that mileage by October, I know and believe I will but as of today, it does feel a bit daunting.

Sorry if it appears I’m dragging the positive buzz down before others do their weekend lsr’s!

• Advertisement

Dealerz2.0 wrote: »
    Got my half marathon in this evening running home from work again. Delighted and tired in equal measure.

Things I noticed:

Felt great in first 3 miles, really felt the miles from 4-6, then felt energised again from 9-13, but don’t think I’d make it to 14 miles on today’s energy levels, so now my head is thinking how am i going to be able to double that mileage by October, I know and believe I will but as of today, it does feel a bit daunting.

Sorry if it appears I’m dragging the positive buzz down before others do their weekend lsr’s!

Well done!! The way to make sure you will do it? You know what I'm going to say? Haha...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,701 ✭✭✭Mr. Guappa

Things I noticed:

I felt similar yesterday during my 11 mile LSR. The middle miles felt really tough, but i got a second wind for the final few miles. DCM is still what, 15 weeks away? Plenty time to get our minds and bodies prepared (I hope!!), but I'll grant you that the distance is daunting.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,412 ✭✭✭Lazare

Things I noticed:

Felt very similar last year. Was bushwacked after finishing my 13 miler. Couldn't imagine another step, nevermind twice the distance.

Ran a 14 mile LSR the following weekend, and felt the same. Then a 16, an 18, a 19 a 20 and a 26.2., not imagining another step after any of them.

By October, 13 miles will feel like 5k. Believe me.

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭Dealerz2.0

Lazare wrote: »
    Felt very similar last year. Was bushwacked after finishing my 13 miler. Couldn't imagine another step, nevermind twice the distance.

Ran a 14 mile LSR the following weekend, and felt the same. Then a 16, an 18, a 19 a 20 and a 26.2., not imagining another step after any of them.

By October, 13 miles will feel like 5k. Believe me.

Well when you put it like that! Ha ha! Fair play.

• Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭sumsar

Doing the HHN1 plan so a Stepback week this week in preparation for the South Dublin 10k next week, looking forward to it!

Someone mentioned recently posting about things they learned.. I learned not to trust treadmills you've never used before.. as in not all treadmills are the same.. I travel a lot for work so I'll be looking to keep most my runs outdoors and avoid treadmills as much as possible :pac: :D

Below are my stats for the week

Total Distance: 15 Miles
    Total Time: 3 Hrs 10 Mins

Week 3 Day 1

Distance: 3.0 mi
    Moving Time: 36:01
    Avg Pace: 11:56/mi
    Elev Gain: 79 ft

Week 3 Day 2

Distance: 4.0 mi
    Moving Time: 51:28
    Avg Pace: 12:50/mi
    Elev Gain: 0 ft

Week 3 Day 3

Distance: 3.0 mi
    Moving Time: 38:37
    Avg Pace: 12:50/mi
    Elev Gain: 0 ft

Week 3 Day 4

Distance: 5.0 mi
    Moving Time: 1:04:20
    Avg Pace: 12:52/mi
    Elev Gain: 180 ft

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭racersedge

Completed my fourth run of the week early this morning. Lovely morning for it with the sun deciding to reappear and the morning was relatively cool. I have to say it felt strange stopping at 10K this morning after racking up the higher mileage the previous weeks. As tempting as it was to keep going, I just kept saying to myself 'follow the plan!' Plenty of time for going longer.

Happy with how my mid-week runs went. I ended up going back-to-back on Monday and Tuesday because I needed to be somewhere on Wednesday. Tuesday felt odd, only because I had an unsettled stomach at the start of it. I honestly thought the run was going to record horribly but when I compared it to the week one PMP run it looked much better! So what do I know! I'm blaming gorging on some of the kids jellies before I left work.

Changed up some my usual runs during the week as well. Specifically did it on Tuesday when I felt I was a little off my game. Said I'd change it up on the fly to make it interesting. This morning's 10K incorporated some of that route, which includes a quick trip over a railway bridge to provide some elevation to it. As the runs get longer, hoping to keep some variety. Home town has a wooded area that I'm going to try to get a few runs in as well. Just to keep things mixed up. Given that my plan (HHN2) has this as a shorter LSR week, I'm going to try and get my dad's bike out tomorrow for some cross-training and get a mileage on that. Perfect opportunity to introduce that into it and make things a little bit different for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭Helenasca

I've strained my achilles tendon
    :( started out on my 8km run yesterday and had to stop after 1km. Ice, elevation and wrapped it, hope it's just short term. Already feel behind and its only one run.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,701 ✭✭✭Mr. Guappa

Helenasca wrote: »
    :( started out on my 8km run yesterday and had to stop after 1km. Ice, elevation and wrapped it, hope it's just short term. Already feel behind and its only one run.

That's a blow. Hopefully it turns out to be not too serious. I was ill during the week and missed one run, so I know that frustrating feeling of thinking you're behind. The advice is always don't chase the lost miles.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 7,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭**Timbuk2**

4170583.jpg

Was holding off posting.
    Started running properly in January 2017.
    Training for Dublin Half last year but injured knee (patellar tendonitis) two weeks out and didn’t run it!
    Few months off but back running now. Marathon has always been a dream so going for it this year. Plan is to take a much more gentle approach to training to avoid another over-use injury – slow paces etc.

Have you raced before? If so what are your PBs? (Date and distance please!)
    5k: 24:35 (Docklands 5k, July 2017)
    10K: 52:35 (RnR 10k, August 2017)
    10mile: 1:36:20 (Frank Duffy, August 2017)
    Bit out-dated now as few months off due to knee injury, will be training to slower paces than the above suggest.

Do you still need to take walk breaks in your training? (No problem if you do)

No

How much training do you currently do ? Distances, how many days a week, cross training - whatever you think is relevant to your current fitness level.
    Before injury: 4 days running per week, no x-training.
    Few months off all activity (guilty!) while injured
    Now: 4 days running per week, 1 day of cycling, 1 pilates class.

What do you want to achieve? Dream finishing time and realistic finishing time?
    Or just complete it in no specified time?
    Target is to cross the start and finish lines without limping! Was so disappointed with last year’s injury I’m not going to target a time!

How many days a week can you train? And what plan do you intend to follow?
    4 days running, following HHN1. Few months off means I have a relatively poor base so being as gentle as possible.

What is your biggest worry/fear/doubt (if you have any!) in signing up?
    Injury, particularly a return of my left knee issues!

Why are you running this marathon?

Unfinished business.
    Love the headspace of training runs.
    Because I live near the Phoenix Park so have no excuse.
    So I can drink chocolate milk without feeling guilty.

Really looking forward to getting further in the training. Have been following the thread and all of the advice and support given so far has been amazing.

Try not to worry. Is it a sudden thing or has it been niggling at you? Maybe book physio? Loads of time yet for training.

4170583.jpg

Was holding off posting.
    Started running properly in January 2017.
    Training for Dublin Half last year but injured knee (patellar tendonitis) two weeks out and didn’t run it!
    Few months off but back running now. Marathon has always been a dream so going for it this year. Plan is to take a much more gentle approach to training to avoid another over-use injury – slow paces etc.

Have you raced before? If so what are your PBs? (Date and distance please!)
    5k: 24:35 (Docklands 5k, July 2017)
    10K: 52:35 (RnR 10k, August 2017)
    10mile: 1:36:20 (Frank Duffy, August 2017)
    Bit out-dated now as few months off due to knee injury, will be training to slower paces than the above suggest.

Do you still need to take walk breaks in your training? (No problem if you do)

No

How much training do you currently do ? Distances, how many days a week, cross training - whatever you think is relevant to your current fitness level.
    Before injury: 4 days running per week, no x-training.
    Few months off all activity (guilty!) while injured
    Now: 4 days running per week, 1 day of cycling, 1 pilates class.

What do you want to achieve? Dream finishing time and realistic finishing time?
    Or just complete it in no specified time?
    Target is to cross the start and finish lines without limping! Was so disappointed with last year’s injury I’m not going to target a time!

How many days a week can you train? And what plan do you intend to follow?
    4 days running, following HHN1. Few months off means I have a relatively poor base so being as gentle as possible.

What is your biggest worry/fear/doubt (if you have any!) in signing up?
    Injury, particularly a return of my left knee issues!

Why are you running this marathon?

Unfinished business.
    Love the headspace of training runs.
    Because I live near the Phoenix Park so have no excuse.
    So I can drink chocolate milk without feeling guilty.

Really looking forward to getting further in the training. Have been following the thread and all of the advice and support given so far has been amazing.

Welcome Timbuk2. Sounds like you have a sensible approach planned. I hope you have no issues this year and can train away. Your times were great last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭bluestone

coogy wrote: »
    Thanks, I'm doing it tomorrow, really excited about it now.

Anyone else doing it?

I did it. Found it very tough in the heat & not an easy course either. Went off too fast (again) & struggled in second half but got through it. How did you get on?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,070 ✭✭✭Baby75

Try not to panic and I would advise booking an appointment with a physio if you can. look after it right now and you will be back at it in no time, it's still early and missing one run is ok don't worry about it and let it go :D

Do you have any swelling or have you been having any little niggles beforehand!
    well done for stopping and looking after it!

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭Helenasca

I've a friend that's a physio so she told me what to do for the wkend and if not better early in the week she'll have a look at it. Felt a slight twinge during the day once or twice and then when started running constant shooting pain. Never had issues with it before. No swelling. Stairs are the worst at the moment so trying to avoid bending the ankle. Fingers crossed nothing serious

• Registered Users Posts: 2,070 ✭✭✭Baby75

I've a friend that's a physio so she told me what to do for the wkend and if not better early in the week she'll have a look at it. Felt a slight twinge during the day once or twice and then when started running constant shooting pain. Never had issues with it before. No swelling. Stairs are the worst at the moment so trying to avoid bending the ankle. Fingers crossed nothing serious

You are doing everything right and hopefully, it will settle :) ask your friend to show you some exercises to do when it is feeling better to make it stronger so it does not become a problem

• Advertisement

bluestone wrote: »
    I did it. Found it very tough in the heat & not an easy course either. Went off too fast (again) & struggled in second half but got through it. How did you get on?

I think I did ok. Enjoyed it from start to finish, am just about to write up a little piece on my experience over on the Training Logs thread......

Hmmm....legs quite sore today, even after plenty of stretching and foam rolling yesterday.

To be expected I suppose! :o

• Registered Users Posts: 6,241 ✭✭✭corcaigh07

Hmmm....legs quite sore today, even after plenty of stretching and foam rolling yesterday.

To be expected I suppose! :o

Well done Coogy. I was at it as well, was a great day out. I purposely want to do about 6/min km as I’d like to run DCM at about that pace.

Came in at 1.35.38. Only bit I raced in any shape or form was the last 1k or so down Chesterfield Avenue.

Any other boardies at it?

corcaigh07 wrote: »
    Well done Coogy. I was at it as well, was a great day out. I purposely want to do about 6/min km as I’d like to run DCM at about that pace.

Came in at 1.35.38. Only bit I raced in any shape or form was the last 1k or so down Chesterfield Avenue.

Any other boardies at it?

Chesterfield Avenue is a cruel mistress. It constantly plays tricks with my mind and I keep forgetting just how long it is!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭dixierip

I strained Achilles the week before last. Physio advised a weeks rest and to start back slowly. Very frustrating as you feel you are being left behind but a week later and I was much better. Get the niggles early and listen to your body. 10 miles lsr today and no pain . Good luck

• Registered Users Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭juke

Well, do what physio says at any rate, hoping for the best.

I'm still on the injured list. I'm still able to do the shorter runs, they seem to help. I'm doing my physio's exercises, but not feeling benefits. Was told if there's no real improvement by next Tuesday, I'd need an MRI...I preempted that and had one today. That was a painful 40 minutes trying to stay still :eek:

I'm not going to get my LSR in this week - for 2 reasons,
    1. I think that long on my feet would do my shoulder more worse than good, and
    2. My OH would kill me. Given the meds. (when I take them properly) really knock me out, he has visions of finding me under a bus.

Will head out later for an hour or so .....in the RAIN :)
    (I had to put socks on earlier, because my feet were cold, what a wonderful feeling)

Week 4 DCM Training

Another week along the journey to Fitzwilliam Square to begin the day of your running lives! No doubt ariana will be back refreshed from her holiday to give you your weeks plan next week but for now you'll have to make to with me. :)

For those of you on the Boards plan the miles have increased quite quickly in the early weeks of the plan. Congratulations on reaching a long run distance of 13 miles so soon. I have seen some great runs logged on Strava and mostly done at sensible paces. Those on the HH plan have been establishing a good LSR base and will be dramatically increasing the distance in the coming weeks. Well done to all.

Huge kudos to anyone who ran the Irish Runner 10 mile race yesterday. There were some really great races run and it bodes well to be able to race 10 miles this early in the plan particularly in the hot temperatures. A great confidence booster I'm sure!!

I see a few have been struck down by a niggle or two. Listen to your bodies, take rest if it's needed, slow down, run on grass....do whatever it takes not to make the issue worse. If you think it needs physio then go do that. Thankfully we're far enough from the big day for an injury not to totally derail you.

This coming week brings with it the start of the Race Series proper, in the form of the South Dublin 10k.

Race info can be found here: http://sseairtricitydublinmarathon.ie/race/south-dublin-10k/

It's a new race venue so no reports from previous years to glean information from. I have heard that the only drag of note is in the first km and that after that it is a very fast course. So keep your powder dry early days and grow into the race. I'm confident that we'll see a few PBs in this one. If nothing else, it should give you a better idea of your current race fitness and give you a time to put into the training paces calculator which is truly representative.

With this in mind, for the coming week we have two sets of plans as follows:

Here’s the plan for those racing next Sunday.

Plan|Monday|Tuesday|Wednesday|Thursday|Friday|Saturday|Sunday
    NNH1|rest|3m easy|4m easy|4m easy|rest|rest|South Dublin 10k
    Boards|rest,cross or 3m rec|3m easy|1m w/u, 4m pace, 1m c/d|3m recovery|rest|3m easy|South Dublin 10k

Note that the pace element of the session steps back from 5m to 4m.

Here's the alternative plan for those who are not racing.

Plan|Monday|Tuesday|Wednesday|Thursday|Friday|Saturday|Sunday
    NNH1|rest|3m easy|4m easy|4m easy|rest|9m LSR|Cross
    Boards|rest,cross or 3m rec|3m easy|1m w/u, 4m pace, 1m c/d|3m recovery|rest|13m LSR|3m rec

Hydration and sleep are hugely important prior to a race. Try to keep well hydrated and rested during the week particularly with the current warm weather. Even if it stays similar to today which is mild compared to the last few weeks it is still warm to be racing in. To be honest this is important whether you are racing or not.

Best of luck to everyone from all on Team ariana!

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭bluestone

Chesterfield Avenue is a cruel mistress. It constantly plays tricks with my mind and I keep forgetting just how long it is!!!!

Just lookin up the results and there is 5min difference between my chip time & gun time which doesn’t seem right even allowing for the wave. My friend who started beside me has 2 min difference which would be more in line.
    Anyone else with similar discrepancy?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,206 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

Catching up on this, fair play everyone on the weekends LSR's / race in. Continuing again with the things I noticed / learned on this weeks LSR.

1. 13 miles covers a fair amount of Dublin! Was kinda cool seeing the route covered on Strava afterwards.

2. I think it's almost impossible to run that distance around Dublin without encountering some hills/inclines. For those of is in Dublin, it'll stand to us!

3. Last week, I ran about 4 miles of the 10 far too quickly. My new watched arrived in time for this weeks LSRs, which shows current pace, really helped me rein this in (even if 1 or 2 miles were still a touch too quick).

4. Also last week, I forgot to bring water with me. Flipbelt arrived as well this week sorted that. Tho I need a bit of practice on getting the water bottle out while on the move! :)

5. After the first 4-5 miles, I still felt great, like I was just getting going. It got progressively more difficult from there tho (unlike others, I didn't get any second wind unfortunately). From 10 miles in, it was tough going (particularly as there was an uphill section) but I dug in and got through it.

6. That was my longest training run and also my longest ever run, time-wise. Tho, I'll be able to say that a lot before the end of this!

All-in-all, a far better run than last week, but still room for improvement. Think I need to start thinking about a fueling and hydration strategy, so if anyone had any suggestions on what to try, I'd appreciate it. I'm a bit wary of trying gels as I've heard they can be heavy on the stomach, particularly those with caffeine.

• Advertisement

aloooof wrote: »
    Catching up on this, fair play everyone on the weekends LSR's / race in. Continuing again with the things I noticed / learned on this weeks LSR.

1. 13 miles covers a fair amount of Dublin! Was kinda cool seeing the route covered on Strava afterwards.

2. I think it's almost impossible to run that distance around Dublin without encountering some hills/inclines. For those of is in Dublin, it'll stand to us!

3. Last week, I ran about 4 miles of the 10 were far too quick. My new watched arrived in time for this weeks LSRs, which shows current pace, really helped me rein this in (even if 1 or 2 miles were still a touch too quick).

4. Also last week, I forgot to bring water with me. Flipbelt arrived as well this week sorted that. Tho I need a bit of practice on getting the water bottle out while on the move! :)

5. After the first 4-5 miles, I still felt great, like I was just getting going. It got progressively more difficult from there tho (unlike others, I didn't get any second wind unfortunately). From 10 miles in, it was tough going (particularly as there was an uphill section) but I dug in and got through it.

All-in-all, a far better run than last week, but still room for improvement. Think I need to start thinking about a fueling and hydration strategy, so if anyone had any suggestions on what to try, I'd appreciate it. I'm a bit wary of trying gels as I've heard they can be heavy on the stomach, particularly those with caffeine.

Well done!!

I used have trouble with gels but can tolerate the High 5 isogels no problems. They are already diluted and much easier on the tummy. They come with and without caffeine. I don’t bother with caffeine until a practice run before D Day and then maybe coming up to 20 miles on the day.

Advertisement