Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

My '72 Challenger project

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,230 ✭✭✭Daved_XB

This is a lengthy process but it does work if you take your time

IMG_7612_zpsmcipywht.jpg

IMG_3218_zpsi6ipsxdk.jpg

It’s still not right & needs a little more work… but it was a 47 degree day in Melbourne when I was working on this & that made the temp in the shed well over the mid 50’s & add to that the fact that I was welding in full welding gear… this was as good as I could get on the day

IMG_7616_zpsy9koj0s3.jpg

IMG_3219_zpsfwardhzd.jpg

The lines are starting to look good now… still some to go before it’s good enough to go to paint but I’m getting there…

IMG_7618_zpslw01pmfb.jpg

IMG_7619_zpsz7nxzugb.jpg

I’m travelling again for work a bit now… but plan on getting back into this as a priority to get the car to paint so I can then focus on the XB again…

Started the finishing off work on sections of the Challenger, so wire brushing the bare metal sections & then coating in a thick rust proofer… next step will be to seam seal these sections.. doesn’t look exciting but it means that some areas are officially finished & getting prepped for paint… happy days

IMG_7622_zpsmlixvuwq.jpg

IMG_7621_zpso6nwjugb.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,428 ✭✭✭quietsailor

you must be so glad to be finished the tear down part of the restoration and move onto the painting things end of it!

you must be so glad to be finished the tear down part of the restoration and move onto the painting things end of it!

Fear not there is still a lot of smacking with hammers, welding & grinding to go here.... I just wanted to start finishing some sections to make myself feel better, in a oh look I'm actually going to finish this thing one day kind of way

I’ve been a bit slack at updating this thread… there has been some movement at the station as they say… so he’s what I’ve been up to the last few weekends that I had at home.

I decided it was time to fit all the structural bracing that I had for the front end, now this was always going to be good fun as the instructions where as detailed as follows:

Fit the front brace to the car.
    This is not an exact fit & may need some modification to fit.
    Clamp & weld the brace to the car.

To add to this the pic on the instructions was postage stamp sized & so blackened that it could have been a pic of bigfoot water skiing behind the lockness monster for all I could tell. Also I actually had two front braces, this C channel one with large holes in its front that when fitted up missed most of the cars actual front rad brace.

IMG_7657_zpsjilr01xu.jpg

Then it also had this thick flat bar that had little holes on it

IMG_7658_zpsxeatv88u.jpg

So I emailed the company some pics as I had an idea as to how it was supposed to fit but I wanted their confirmation.. turns out I was on the money, the steps are to affix the flat plate first

IMG_7659_zpssrkxmdgr.jpg

Then you fit the C channel plate over that flat plate

IMG_7660_zpsvtwi5taz.jpg

First up grind off the excess metal on the flat plate until you can clamp it neatly into the spot it’s meant to go

IMG_7661_zps6rh6m15k.jpg

IMG_7662_zpst4ayqrfg.jpg

IMG_7666_zpsghvtcte9.jpg

Then clamp it tight to the car so that you can plug well thru the small holes to the cars support metal

IMG_7667_zps9alivn50.jpg

IMG_7669_zpsb3wk6i0c.jpg

I also welded around the top to the plate to where it met the support panel so that it was fully integrated with the car

IMG_7672_zpslxzstmon.jpg

• Advertisement

Then I cleaned up the welds & coated everything in weld proof primer, which is something I hate as it makes the mig splatter like a bugger… makes it feel like I’m using a gasless mig really.

IMG_7676_zpsi2hbavos.jpg

With that done I was able to test fit the bigger outer brace piece

IMG_7681_zpsgtyvqo3b.jpg

These needed a lot of patience & clamps to make it fit tight up against the new flat plate

IMG_7682_zpsbdp0eq24.jpg

IMG_7684_zps66xgpbho.jpg

IMG_7685_zpsnfglveoy.jpg

The process was clamp a section tight, tack weld in place that section that was in place & then move the clamps again to get the next bit flat… it took hours as I was also not wanting to put too much heat into the car & risk warping something.. but in the end it turned out great… or at least I think it did

IMG_7686_zpskl8lv49g.jpg

Then I cleaned the welds & coated in primer as another section hopefully finished

IMG_7688_zpszy8xg95p.jpg

IMG_7689_zpsm2cxcshf.jpg

IMG_7690_zpsjraemmbl.jpg

Next up was the inner wheel arch support braces, these consisted of 4 parts, two small uprights that welded either side of the factory shock mount bracing panel, then a flat section that sits across both of these to box in the factory shock mounting plate… then the big section that joins these guys to the inner fender upper & lower & back to the firewall. Have I lost you yet? Don’t worry once you see the pics below you’ll get what I mean.

First up the pieces of course are only roughly the right shape, in the companies defense all the bits where over sized & only needed grinding down to fit… much better that the alternative of needed extra material welded to them I guess.

You can see daylight between this brace section & the factory inner fender shape

IMG_7693_zps9mx07oen.jpg

Once I had them test clamped in place & fitting I removed them & cleaned them up & coated the backside of them in primer as I’d never get to them again once they are in

IMG_7696_zps1mrjvius.jpg

IMG_7699_zpsra0rnjwa.jpg

Once the bits where shaped to fit it was a simple job of clamp & weld, clamp & weld.. once I had a few good solid tacks in place I could remove the clamps out of the way & fully weld

IMG_7701_zpsi7myubhn.jpg

IMG_7702_zpsmlvr8oxi.jpg

IMG_7705_zpsnaqijtmi.jpg

IMG_7706_zpsebdvsl6f.jpg

Always nice when you can see behind what you’re welding to ensure you’re getting good penetration… it’s all about the penetration folks

IMG_7709_zpsoc9r0kdr.jpg

With the vertical supports welded in I was then able to play about with the flat cover plate that joins them… there was no way at all to clamp these in place so it was a case of holding them in place as best I could just to get a tack on one corner & then pushing in or pulling out to get tacks on all the corners… took forever to get it right

IMG_7715_zpsgrxlncuc.jpg

IMG_7718_zpsxapxzhhv.jpg

Once I had them tacked in place then I was able to fully weld them in

IMG_7719_zpsuh8nybjd.jpg

Now you’ll notice in this pic that the flat under section of the big brace is nearly an inch away from the flat section of the piece I’ve just welded in… well these need to touch, so rang the company & pointed out that the gap couldn’t be clamped up as such as it was just bending the top of the inner fender where the guards bolt too… turns out the instructions are missing a section where you have to cut & bend that lip to suit… great…

IMG_7716_zpsxiqqtd6x.jpg

IMG_7749_zpsfehm88kv.jpg

IMG_7750_zpshfkqreb9.jpg

With that done I was able to clamp on the big brace section & tack that into place

IMG_7731_zpsfpulsvhn.jpg

IMG_7752_zpsye8dbmqh.jpg

Then it was just a question of slowly working my around & stitch welding small sections at a time so as to not put too much heat into any one place & risk warping the panels at all

IMG_7727_zpsoy7vi8kr.jpg

IMG_7754_zpsvjinemnv.jpg

Then a coat of primer over everything & we’re down with the new bracing & I think it looks awesome

IMG_7732_zpsrgh6b2rc.jpg

IMG_7730_zpstpwhhytw.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭Krombopulos Michael

Bracing looks fantastic. The company you got the kit from should take a look at your thread and update their instructions leaflet.

Next up was a small job, as you may remember I’m filling in the front & rear side marker lights on the car to smooth out the side profile. The last one I hadn’t done was drivers side front side marker below

IMG_7760_zpsmkvxfmpl.jpg

First up grind off the paint the panel shipped covered in

IMG_7763_zps2mizrape.jpg

Then spray it in weld thru primer as I won’t be able to get to the back of it later

IMG_7764_zps3zeih9px.jpg

Then using the tried & test cardboard method of marking out the right shape for a filler panel, I cut out a patch to go in & again painted the back side of it in primer now.. then using my welding magnets held it nicely in place

IMG_7767_zps8ccn7btp.jpg

IMG_7768_zpsancqv8ld.jpg

Then slowly weld it in using many many spots or tacks if you will, again so as to not put too much heat into the panel & warp it

IMG_7769_zpszmwarjzj.jpg

Then linish the welds back to flat & coat in primer

IMG_7770_zpsqcpdph2o.jpg

IMG_7771_zpsowdmkhpu.jpg

• Advertisement

Then it was time to move back to the arse end of the car, back to fitting the rear valence panel & the rear bumper so that I can work on the gaps & make sure they are right before paint.

IMG_7781_zpsmoeiho8k.jpg

IMG_7783_zpsbgwn0rdy.jpg

IMG_7784_zpsna5iu0dh.jpg

Now the rear valance panel doesn’t really fit great where it joins the rear Qtr panels, it lines up at the top but it’s just not the correct curved shape as it goes gone to the bottom… I played around with this for a while & it’s definitely the rear valance, it’s simply not the same curved ends as the original, so I decided to section the ends.

This involved cutting a slice in the panel so that I could take the folded ends, pull them to the correct shape & bolt them to the rear Qtr panel where they need to be

IMG_7788_zpsw8dvkipc.jpg

IMG_7789_zps9ha2vmdz.jpg

IMG_7790_zps86woqay0.jpg

Then I made up a thin filler plate that I was able to tack onto the rear valance to fill the void between the end plates & the rest of the panel I’d just created with my cut

IMG_7794_zpsrlqcxrmz.jpg

IMG_7795_zpszvsma1cw.jpg

Then I pulled the panel back off so I could fully weld in the filler pieces on the bench & be sure to get it right

IMG_7796_zpse0zrqmws.jpg

IMG_7797_zpsaezw8p1a.jpg

Now with the rear valence back on the ends actually line up & it looks good… not great but good, great comes a few pics later

IMG_7798_zps5iyuld77.jpg

IMG_7799_zps1vqosmbj.jpg

IMG_7800_zps2yeuqm7a.jpg

I’m doing my best to have as close to zero bog in any of my cars as I can have, yes they will probably end up with a light skim in certain places but I’m not slapping it on thick anywhere & sculpting the shape out of it… so it was back to lead wiping as the best option I could think of to make the panel smooth & the gap just right… very happy with how this is looking now

IMG_7808_zpsamjdlcwi.jpg

IMG_7809_zpshbxruzh3.jpg

Whist I has the blow torch & lead out I figured I’d do the door gaps I’d been working on too & also the join between the rear Qtr & the lower rocker, I haven’t filled this smooth yet so you can see how rough the first coat of lead looks before you get it smooth

IMG_7815_zpsszszrz8f.jpg

IMG_7810_zpssqwhusg8.jpg

There are two final tiny spots of rust on the car that I’ve also addressed now… one was in the bottom inner of the B pillar, so first step is to cut out the offending metal

IMG_7812_zpsvjvtg75h.jpg

Then make up a patch to go in, I’ve drilled it so that I can also match the original spot weld locations

IMG_7813_zps1kzqp1nq.jpg

Rust, what rust

IMG_7814_zps6kiclqby.jpg

There was also a spot on the floor just behind where the drivers seat would be.. so again cut that out & made it out of two overlapping sections so that it matches the original floor & rolled in a crease line to add rigidity whilst I was at it

IMG_7816_zpsutl9wk63.jpg

All in & finished & painted in the same thick black as the rest of the floor

IMG_7817_zps52nis51l.jpg

Right & now you’re up to date again…

• Registered Users Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭Krombopulos Michael

Daved_XB wrote: »

Right & now you’re up to date again…

Fantastic job mate. Can't wait to see the next updates.

More finishing work is happening on the Challenger, I finished up the under side of the boot floor supports & coated in primer

IMG_7841_zpsznagq9r4.jpg

I finished up the passenger side sill… there where holes in the sill from an old molding that had been bogged up so I’ve filled them with lead instead & then primered the whole sill

IMG_7839_zpsnebgkonr.jpg

IMG_7840_zpsisdsjyjr.jpg

I’ve now started on the drivers side, back to bare metal to ensure no hidden nasty surprises, next I’ll lead wipe these trim holes too then that’ll be another section finished

IMG_7876_zpskzzhzii8.jpg

IMG_7877_zpsxgnztr9a.jpg

Very happy with the driver’s side B pillar it’s spotless in there

IMG_7878_zpsfgjdckns.jpg

Small update… well it looks like a small update but it’s hours of work… finished up the B pillars, the sills & the A pillars now. Went with the option of lead wiping the old trim holes rather than using bog.

IMG_7890_zpsmrudonc9.jpg

IMG_7888_zps4jcncmly.jpg

IMG_7887_zpsce4qdzfs.jpg

Hopefully I can throw the doors back on this weekend (assuming I can find someone to help with the job) & then get to test fitting the front light panel & the front valence & start getting the front end gaps sorted.

Just a bit of an update on the Challenger, so whilst the car is pretty much a complete car shaped well car for want of a better word there is a lot more welding that I want to get done. If you take bits like this front chassis leg or the inner fender section where is attaches to the firewall, you can see that there good strong spaced welds holding the car together..

IMG_7896_zpsszenlebd.jpg

IMG_7898_zpsse9bkwnt.jpg

But I’ve decided that I want to seam weld as much of the car as I can, like this…

IMG_7894_zpsbqqzfjwd.jpg

IMG_7895_zpswynliynq.jpg

With that done I moved back to the boot section of the car… it’s been sitting in raw steel for a little too long & surface rust is starting to appear, so as well as finishing up the welding back here I’m also having to sand back that, treat it & then prime to ensure that it’s all gone… might have to look into a dehumidifier for the shed too perhaps long term

IMG_7915_zpsno0vx5ko.jpg

You can see the joins in the boot floor here that I’m being told I should just put a layer of sealant over & that that will be fine as that’s how Dodge did it back in the day

IMG_7916_zpsuqckalfl.jpg

IMG_7917_zpsyilly43b.jpg

I decided against that & I’m seam welding all of these joins & then I’ll run the sealant over the welds in the end to make it look factory & to ensure that there is a perfect seal too

IMG_7933_zpsae7bx2qe.jpg

IMG_7934_zpsgj44444i.jpg

IMG_7932_zps1i3jz71d.jpg

The boot floor is now rock solid & you can really hear the difference if you strike the floor, so glad I did this

IMG_7938_zps1gqvdlm1.jpg

The next bit that is way harder to get to & seam weld is where the rear taillight panel joins the floor, this is going to need me to spend a lot longer that I’d like curled up inside the boot contorted practicing what I can best describe as yoga welding

IMG_7939_zps2dq4lus7.jpg

IMG_7940_zpscjdj7npc.jpg

IMG_7942_zpst4t0q8bh.jpg

IMG_7943_zpseke3whhk.jpg

IMG_7947_zpsbh94zaww.jpg

Once I have the above welded solid then I need to rework the curves of the Qtr panels, they are two sharp & don’t roll like the original light panel does

IMG_7919_zpsxustlyzc.jpg

IMG_7921_zpsvnrbk4bx.jpg

Also have to finish off the bootlid

IMG_7922_zpsfnethdrs.jpg

There is a small patch of rust that needs to be cut out off the top & the rear lip & replaced

IMG_7927_zpskiacmotr.jpg

IMG_7928_zpse92z0qcn.jpg

Along with the top corners of where the boot channels join too

IMG_7929_zpsoinztke5.jpg

IMG_7930_zpsrmf3kkcu.jpg

I’m sitting in an airline lounge right now, but this should be my last flight for a full 4 weeks so I hope to have lots of time in the shed over the Xmas/NY’s period to get more done & who knows maybe even get to the point that the car could be painted early next year…. Fingers crossed

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,286 ✭✭✭OAOB

I’m not really a car guy and I don’t always understand what you’re at but it’s clear that your attention to detail is second to none and that no corners are being cut in restoring these cars. I absolutely love seeing updates to these threads

Keep up the good work and I can’t wait for the day you can post a pic of your four fully refurbished cars side by side

Thanks OAOB…. I too dream of the day that all 4 are lined up on the concrete outside the skunk works shed finished… maybe one day…

Time to get back at this one, I keep changing my mind as to whether I should be working on all the projects at the same time or if I should be focused on one only at a time.. so as you saw from the updates to the GTO thread I had focused on that car & that car only once the lock down started… now I’ll commit to focusing on this one only for a bit until I get bored or until the engine finally shows up for the GTO

Anyway I did a shed tidy up & moved some bits about & put the Challenger in the middle where she can be worked on easy, I’ve opted not to put her back on the hoist as it will be so much easier to put the engine & gearbox back in the GTO with the GTO still on the hoist & it’s a ****er with a capital F to push the GTO off & onto the hoist as it’s a heavy car… but there is plenty that can be done with the car on the ground or on some axle stands anyway

IMG_8415_zpsq909tvwv.jpg

My plan is to start at the rear of the car & work my way forward finishing each section as I go to a point where its ready to go to the painter, so when I get to the front I should be done & by then hopefully the painter is free & looking for work. Job 1 was the boot floor, I linished back all the welds & double checked that I hadn’t missed anywhere, then rust treated the floor & painted in a sound deadening black paint

IMG_8416_zpsgqxdhmed.jpg

IMG_8417_zpswuy8b0zo.jpg

IMG_8419_zpskrem5fzz.jpg

It will need a 2nd coat but I’ll do the whole car floor again in a 2nd coat soon… I stood & stared for a while trying to work out how the fuel filler runs.. then I realized that they supply the new floor pans without the hole cut for that for my convenience, so if you look at the slightly raised flat area in this pic that should have a hole cut thru it to allow the filler neck to run from the Qtr panel to the tank.. so I’ll have to dummy up the tank & filler neck & cut that out

IMG_8425_zpskx9xbivj.jpg

The top corners of the boot channels need some tidying up, I’ve been told by a few people now that I shouldn’t be too fussed here as I have to cover the joins in seam sealer anyway & the underlying metal join will never be seen.. but I can’t leave it looking this shocking

IMG_8421_zpscdoh234q.jpg

IMG_8420_zpse6kqiryz.jpg

I’ll be linishing these back & then making up some filler plates to fill in the gaps so that it looks only halfarsed & not fullyarsed as it does now

IMG_8426_zpswrldh44t.jpg

The bottom corners of the boot channels need work too obviously, again there needs to be some seam sealer applied here but I’d like the join to be solid metal underneath that if I can

IMG_8427_zpssvhq9llx.jpg

Now the bits that very literally keep me awake at night at the corners where the rear Qtr panel meets the tail light panel, here you can there is a very clean sharp line as the panel curves up from the bumper cut in & then turns 90 deg upright

IMG_8423_zpsvyh8wo3n.jpg

That shape bares **** all resemblance to how the tail light panel looks in that spot

IMG_8424_zpsxyqrizyd.jpg

When I was taking the car apart this gap that you could push a small dog thru was filled only with hardened seam sealer, I just don’t think I can do that, I think that I’ll have to fill that gap with a little metal, I’ll recess the metal in so there is space to cover it in the seam sealer but I can’t leave it know that that gap is there.

A year ago I was travelling thru the US for work (ah, remember travel) & I passed a car museum in California that had a less that 2000 mile never restored concourse 1970 Challenger, now the taillight panel is a different shape to my 1972, but if you look at these pics you can see how shocking the fit & finish was back then & you can see that it’s all seam sealer holding the taillight panel to the Qtr panel

IMG_5990_zpsokpqxnsv.jpg

IMG_5987_zpsrl6edkam.jpg

You can also see how the trim doesn’t line up with the panel

IMG_5988_zpspwl9aih7.jpg

IMG_5991_zps3weoosx4.jpg

The rear lower valance isn’t lined up great either

IMG_5992_zpsq1xwfqys.jpg

Let’s not even talk about the door gaps & shapes at the front of the car

IMG_5994_zpsmticof3m.jpg

IMG_5995_zpskksfvj84.jpg

So I have to keep reminding myself that I’m building a driver car to be driven & not some show car to be trailered to collect trophies… so if the above is good enough to be pride of place in a museum then maybe my standard of work is good enough to pull this off…. But I’ll be honest I love doing big things like cutting panels off of welding new ones on but the fine detail work I don’t have the patience or the skill for so I’m struggling to push myself to try & get it somewhat right

Right so onto these parts on mine.. I cleaned up the seam welding I’d done & then I fitted the lights & the old trim piece up so I can see how they fit & how the panels & joins are looking when the car together again

IMG_8428_zpsbourgsxj.jpg

IMG_8432_zpsvktnhsbd.jpg

IMG_8431_zpskymqyzlq.jpg

IMG_8435_zpspjvtrjyc.jpg

Now this old trim piece is dented & always was the 9 years (can’t believe I’ve owned this car 9 years now) I’ve owned it

IMG_8436_zpspxwcobdi.jpg

This means I can’t gauge the fit correctly as it sits way too high on the Qtr panel

IMG_8433_zpsun8w4etp.jpg

Sticks out a little too much on the side too

IMG_8434_zpspjfejcas.jpg

I do have brand new chrome trims to go on, so I’ll search the shelves of parts & find them & then fit them on, no point in adjusting the fit & finish with these old ones, I also need to cut this bit of rust out of the boot lid too & then I can finish & prime that panel so that I can put that back on to work out the gaps & put the rubber on too to work out the height

IMG_8418_zpsxppx1s6e.jpg

Cut the rusted section out of the boot lid

IMG_8452_zpsdeq3m3yx.jpg

I’ll clean up & treat the inner section tomorrow & then make up a patch to weld in

IMG_8453_zpsoayohmni.jpg

I’ll use the rubber boot from the fuel filler neck to work out where the hole needs to be for the neck to pass thru the boot floor

IMG_8437_zpsuqmpbndj.jpg

The new chrome trim fits nicer than the old one do to be honest, the holes may not be in the right spots mind you.. it looks like the hole is a little high, tomorrow I’ll fit the mounts to the back of the trim & see then if I need to move that hole down a few mm

IMG_8438_zpsbyfj3b1m.jpg

IMG_8439_zpshjkkp0al.jpg

IMG_8440_zpsa7invaio.jpg

There are no trim holes in the passenger side so I’ll make them out & drill them exactly where I need them

IMG_8441_zpssuarcivt.jpg

IMG_8442_zpsztp1ktym.jpg

Decided to jack the back up a bit to make the panels at a more comfortable height, I had planned on buying a second hoist a few months ago & I’m wishing I had, but I’ll make do with the car on stands for now

IMG_8443_zpsfl8btcos.jpg

I’ve taken the rear valance back off for now, I’ll sort the bumper & lights first & then move down to the valance

IMG_8446_zpscjldqkdy.jpg

I’ve polished the metal back to get rid of any surface rust

IMG_8447_zpsbx9ojv2c.jpg

On the passengers side behind where the light housing covers there is a small hole from rust

IMG_8448_zpseqte459i.jpg

So I’ve welded that up to make it whole again

IMG_8449_zps1qse3rba.jpg

Spent a while getting the rear bumper on where I want it

IMG_8454_zpsuon49l3b.jpg

The drivers side gap started off looking like this

IMG_8455_zps0clt3na8.jpg

This is where I have it now, I might pull it in a few more mm but I’m happy with this as a fitment

IMG_8456_zpsutoyfbq2.jpg

The passenger side is still way off for now, I’ll spend some time tomorrow on that to make it match the driver’s side

IMG_8458_zpskhkoll9e.jpg

IMG_8457_zpsznvesbxj.jpg

I’ve gotten all of the adjustment I can out of the passenger side of the bumper now so the next course of action will be to cut a section out of the mounting bracket & reweld it back together at a new angle to make it work.. you can see the thick bracket below has lots of room to be sectioned

IMG_8460_zpsqojhpon8.jpg

IMG_8462_zpsctu9cqth.jpg

It won’t be a hard task but it will be a two person task… so back to the body work. I’d almost forgotten about this little rear panel that sits just below the taillight panel & just above the bumper

IMG_8468_zpsmd800b49.jpg

This took a bit of fettling too to make it fit the car, seems that by me making the two rear chassis rails the same length both this panel & the bumper brackets no longer fit nicely… can’t remember if I had this little fact in the thread yet but the factory chassis rails where out by 7mm…. as in the passenger side rail was 7mm longer than the driver’s side one was

IMG_8469_zpsyvwv5fng.jpg

IMG_8470_zpsqmymemwg.jpg

No you may have noticed in the pics above that I’ve moved on from just using vice clamps… I’ve now invested in some Cleco pins too

IMG_8465_zps6q37dhmr.jpg

What’s a Cleco pin or clamp literally no one asked.. they are an ingenious little springed clamp that work almost like a reusable rivet… you pop one in the Cleco pliers

IMG_8463_zpso9jf9orw.jpg

Compress & the two prongs slide out & move closer together.. once you release the grip on the pliers the two prongs pull back in & widen out at the tip to hold the two panels together just like a rivet would, but unlike a rivet you can just use the pliers to pop them off again

IMG_8464_zpsdyi4lyy8.jpg

They also make actual side clamps too that use the same pliers to open & close, very very good for singlehanded clamping

IMG_8467_zps9yfhha5d.jpg

These are my fave tools this week in the Skunk Works now…

IMG_8466_zpsijv7qrl9.jpg

I finished up the welding where the tail light panel meets the bumper support panel

IMG_8471_zps3qnnp6gb.jpg

It was only welded in sections & had gaps that I had been told it would be fine to just cover with seam sealer… but I have a welder & I like using it, so stuff that

IMG_8472_zpsytl7z3wo.jpg

Now I’ve stitch welded the whole panel

IMG_8482_zps1htacaim.jpg

IMG_8481_zpsvrvbes0x.jpg

Getting the drivers side rear trim to line up exactly as I wanted it wasn’t too hard really

IMG_8474_zpstmiwei55.jpg

But the passenger side had me almost wanting to covert the car in petrol & just burn it again… the last inch of the panel was just not right & was not the right shape at all

IMG_8473_zps8xmmivny.jpg

After spending a long time getting it right my next issue was that it was too low & with the top & side of the trim held in place there was a 2mm gap between the lower inch of the panel & the trim, so in the end I went with the option of making a little 2mm thick pad of weld on the end of the panel to bring it out far enough to meet the trim… this took a long time so as to not over work the area or put too much heat into the panel & to not lose any shape or contour of the panel at all… all up getting these two trim sections right took about 4hrs of my life that I will never get back…..

IMG_8477_zpsqfg6pi0b.jpg

IMG_8478_zpslxqa6s6p.jpg

IMG_8479_zps57cabv0z.jpg

IMG_8480_zpsmei70ion.jpg

Just a little more to be done & cleaned up & I can spray this panel with primer & call it done… or lose my mind & beat the car within an inch of its life with a large branch Basil Fawlty style…. Find out in my next update which way I go… smart money is on the latter right now

• Registered Users Posts: 18,921 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

Only discovered this thread when the update a couple of weeks ago popped it to the front page.

Been reading it obsessively every night since then and finally caught up!

It's practically a new car at this stage!

Amazing amazing work.

Nearly there!

• Advertisement

Only discovered this thread when the update a couple of weeks ago popped it to the front page.

Been reading it obsessively every night since then and finally caught up!

It's practically a new car at this stage!

Amazing amazing work.

Nearly there!

Thanks... still a ways off yet, but I think I can actually allow myself to see a light at the end of this tunnel now...

If you liked this one, I have 3 other project builds threads on here too you may have missed... you may like them too

Cheers

Advertisement