Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UFC 242: Khabib Nurmagomedov vs Dustin Poirier [7 Sep, 19:00]

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 38,924 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Khabib Nurmagomedov on Points
    Mellor wrote: »
    The main reason I think Khabib mauls Dustin. Is the fact that Alvarez was doing similar and in a position to finish him in their fight.
    Khabib does it better than Alvarez.

This is the part of that fight that I'm referring to.
    Eddie didn't do a great job here, Khabib would have got the finish.
    Not dissimilar to the finish of Khabib v McGregor.

https://streamable.com/8qhqo
    Makhachev v Ramos could be an interesting one.

This is Davi Ramos being Davi Ramos

https://gfycat.com/allforsakenamericanwigeon
    https://gfycat.com/allforsakenamericanwigeon.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 1,372 ✭✭✭Gamb!t

Think Khabbib will get the sub.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,438 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Dustin Poirier by Sub
    Great angle from the new footage.

https://twitter.com/streetfitebanch/status/1168584400059142148?s=19

• Registered Users Posts: 3,933 ✭✭✭Tazzimus

Dustin Poirier by Sub
    Dustin won't make it easy for him, but I don't think he'll have enough to beat Khabib.
    Realistically, Tony looks to be the only one that can survive and have enough energy left to pour it on in the later rounds when Khabib starts to tire.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,145 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

Dustin Poirier by KO/TKO
    mailburner wrote: »
    Dustin
    This will be his 23rd fight
    bisping got a shot in his 26th fight

I'm pretty sure nobody has had close to this number
    of fights before getting a shot though

First name that came to mind was RDA, but he's nowhere even close. 18 fights if I count correctly.

Really pulling for Dustin this weekend!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 559 ✭✭✭gibgodsman

The only person in that division that can beat Khabib is Tony, the rest will get taken down and cuddled, you cannot do that with Tony has his BJJ is elite level and he could tap Khabib

Dustin Poirier by Sub
    gibgodsman wrote: »
    The only person in that division that can beat Khabib is Tony, the rest will get taken down and cuddled, you cannot do that with Tony has his BJJ is elite level and he could tap Khabib
    Khabib would likely nullify his BJJ easy enough, he's all about smothering and trapping limbs while he pummels you.
    Tony has a very strong wrestling background though, that'd help more than BJJ. Plus his inhuman cardio.

“Elite” is kinda arbitrary when we’re talking about professional fighter.
    Tony’s bjj is good. But he’s not on the level of the top guys. He deserved the black bekt but that was relatively recently. I think Eddie Bravo is in the best position to make that call.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,588 ✭✭✭derfderf

Dustin Poirier by KO/TKO
    People keep talking about Tony's BJJ, but i can't remember the last time i saw a top level wrestler being submitted.
    Tony's best bet is to use his wrestling to keep it standing.
    I actually think Justin Gaethje would give Khabib as good a fight as anyone in the division for that reason, but he may be a bit small. He barely cuts, and Khabib cuts a lot.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,797 ✭✭✭✭mailburner

Dustin Poirier by Sub
    I think outside of tony dustin has possibly the best chance though as he probably won't tire like most even late on (would love to see gaethje khabib also)
    It's a chance of a lifetime for him and I really believe he'll push khabib very very close and leave no stone unturned

conor had some success round three, if dustin has a similiar good spell midfight I think he could actually stop khabib when fatigue eventually kicks in late rnd 4 or 5
    Khabib did look fairly ordinary in rnd 3 v conor understandably but I think a mixture of conor being exhausted helped there

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,290 ✭✭✭xtal191

Dustin Poirier by Sub

I think Gaethje could cause Khabib a few problems

• Registered Users Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭Tangatagamadda Chaddabinga Bonga Bungo

Dustin Poirier by KO/TKO
    Is this the best ever fight card on at a normal time for Europe to watch?

7pm 'kick off' is literally a perfect time for an event to start.

Think Dustin will give Khabib a lot of problems. Will have a small bet on "Paid in Full" Porrier and Feldor double.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭US2

Dustin Poirier by KO/TKO
    Is this the best ever fight card on at a normal time for Europe to watch?

7pm 'kick off' is literally a perfect time for an event to start.

Think Dustin will give Khabib a lot of problems. Will have a small bet on "Paid in Full" Porrier and Feldor double.

It's a terrible card besides the main event, not worthy of ppv

• Registered Users Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭Tangatagamadda Chaddabinga Bonga Bungo

Dustin Poirier by KO/TKO
    US2 wrote: »
    It's a terrible card besides the main event, not worthy of ppv

A big title fight at a normal time is an absolute treat. Plus a main card with high profile fighters. I'll take it.

There's been a lot worse PPV cards in the recent past.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,663 ✭✭✭JoeyJJ

It would pain me to miss this fight live, however the card isn't that good and its PPV.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,461 Mod ✭✭✭✭Axwell

Poll added...

• Registered Users Posts: 17,840 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Its a really poor card but could throw up some good fights. The return of Khabib is something I can't wait for though, he'll have too much Dustin. Hopefully we get Khabib vs Tony fight before the end of the year.

Tony has the only chance of beating him I believe but Khabib's style is just so difficult to compete with. He drags you down, ties you up, smothers you and just pounds on you. He proved in the McGregor fight he won't respect your striking, he has the confidence to stand there and wait for an opening.

Dustin Poirier by Sub
    fancy felder to get that loss back also

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

I say Dana and the Ufc are banking on a Khabib victory. I can see Khabib vs Tony and a co-main event of Diaz vs Masvidal for the big end of year card.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,116 ✭✭✭dashoonage

I'm having an emotional battle with myself here do i want to pay 30 euro for the card on BT this weekend. My erm...ship for the high sea's sunk and the new one wont be delivered in time so ive no options.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭pastorbarrett

dashoonage wrote: »
    I'm having an emotional battle with myself here do i want to pay 30 euro for the card on BT this weekend. My erm...ship for the high sea's sunk and the new one wont be delivered in time so ive no options.

Join the mma discord chat.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,056 ✭✭✭sticker

I've SKY Ireland - But UFC 242 does not seem to be listed - even in pay per view.

Is it PPV - How do I order it?!

Thanks.

dashoonage wrote: »
    I’ll be watching it on my TV.
    Is that an option?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,056 ✭✭✭sticker

I’ll be watching it on my TV.
    Is that an option?

Ditto! - Any options to watch this elsewhere?

• Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭average hero

Dustin Poirier by KO/TKO
    Khabib on points for me.

I think Dustin has a chance alright and I am not writing him off but for me it is about 75%/80% a Khabib win. Dustin has a shot if it remains standing. If Khabib is rocked at all, I think he will shoot like he has never shot before in his life. Then he will grind out the win.

While again not impossible, I don't see Dustin being submitted. Khabib probably does enough to at the very least, ensure Dustin doesn't get the points victory.

Agree with all of the posters above who say that Tony has the best chance of beating Khabib.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭tommyboy26

Dustin Poirier by KO/TKO
    as much as i would love to see dustin win and i think he has a good chance of doing it. in the end i see khabib winning by points.

If dustin does pull it off im sure khabib will want a rematch straight away and if the ufc grants him that does Tony sit out for another 6-8 months?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

sticker wrote: »
    I've SKY Ireland - But UFC 242 does not seem to be listed - even in pay per view.

Is it PPV - How do I order it?!

Thanks.

https://www.sky.com/boxoffice/btsport/ufc

Dustin Poirier by Sub
    30 is enough for it considering outside of khabib a lot won't any interest in this event
    If ever an event was priced up on one fight it's this one.
    I think it's way overpriced for the uk tbh and would love to see
    the uk figures for this one as I think it will bomb.
    while most of us here will also look forward to felder barbosa I'd imagine 60% of the casuals won't be too familiar or won't have seen their first fight

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭ Briana Mango Detective

McGregor destroyed Poirier so I can't see how Khabib won't easily take him out..

• Advertisement

Dustin Poirier by Sub
    Salon quality Poirier at 155 is a different fighter. He's looked very impressive.

Advertisement