Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2019 All Ireland Senior Football Championship *Mod note: Post #1*

• 14-04-2019 12:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14,931 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Well since the league thread was shut I think it's time for a championship thread

Second year of The Senior Football Championship Quarter Final Group stages.

Groups are

Group 1
    Munster Winner
    Ulster Winner
    Connacht final loser or qualifier
    Leinster final loser of qualifier

Group 2
    Connacht winner
    Leinster winner
    Munster final loser or qualifier
    Ulster final loser or qualifier

In a change from last year the first round of QF games will be
    13-14.07.2019 (Sat/Sun)
    Provincial winner home v Qualifier

20-21.07.2019 (Sat/Sun)
    Provincial winner v Provincial winner at CP
    Qualifier v Qualifier at CP

03-04.08.2019 (Sat/Sun)
    Qualifier at home v Provincial winner.

New rules like the advance mark and sin bin that were used in the league will not be used in the championship

So obviously Dublin are going for five in a row.
    They had a (by their standards) poor league but I would not read anything into that
    They will again breeze through Leinster.
    Meath had a good league and could make the final as even Kildare are on the other side

Munster is equally as straight forward with Cork getting relegated, Kerry will breeze through it too

Ulster has a bit more spice
    There are three decent teams in Ulster, in no particular order Tyrone, Monaghan and Donegal
    Tyrone and Donegal potentially meet in a SF thus leaving the loser with 3 games to get past to get to the group stages , and thus end up in any of the two groups.

Tyrone finished the league very strongly which is a good sign for them

Monaghan have the easier side on paper so have a good chance of getting to the final

Connacht is a two horse race
    Newly minted League champions Mayo go to NYC next months an then play Roscommon or Leitrim if they win in NYC
    Galway go to London first and if they win play Sligo
    So that sets up a very important Connacht final in Salthill between Galway and Mayo
    Galway have owned Mayo this last few years but have done little else
    Even in the league they were 7 points up at 35 mins away from a league final the they conspired to lose the game and the final place

Winning this is very important for both and it makes the groups stages much easier

The Senior Football Championship Quarter Final Group stages.

Group 1 is an absolute stinker
    Consider this
    Kerry
    Tyrone
    Mayo/Galway
    Donegal

All very possible
    Kerry after they win Munster will be lauded as the team most likely to beat Dublin

But as we say in the league where they struggled v a stronger more experienced team in Mayo they ill meet similar opposition in Group 1 in the form of Tyrone/Monaghan/Donegal, Mayo/Galway etc.
    Its far from a given that Kerry will get out of their group if the group is made up of anything like the above.
    I'll say it now, if Kerry v Mayo is the first game in Group 1 then we may well see the end of Kerry's 20+ year unbeaten streak in Killarney

i can see Tyrone being strong here and getting to another SF

Group 2
    Getting in here is vital for Mayo or Galway
    You get to play Dublin in CP in July and avoid them in the SF
    It is not as tough a group as Group 1 in my opinion, although it will also contain the Ulster loser or qualifier.

I can't see anyone stopping Dublin getting to the final and the only team I can see beating them or even getting close to beating them in the final is Mayo

Mod Note: Do not bring the Dublin financial advantage argument into this thread. The thread basically descends into trench warfare with neither side of the debate moving from their positions. It also means that nothing else gets discussed for pages and pages.
    This can be discussed here.
    Cards and bans will be issued if this rule is brought up here from now on.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,354 ✭✭✭irishgeo

Well since the league thread was shut I think it's time for a championship thread

Second year of The Senior Football Championship Quarter Final Group stages.

Groups are

Group 1
    Munster Winner
    Ulster Winner
    Connacht final loser or qualifier
    Leinster final loser of qualifier

Group 2
    Connacht winner
    Leinster winner
    Munster final loser or qualifier
    Ulster final loser or qualifier

In a change from last year the first round of QF games will be
    13-14.07.2019 (Sat/Sun)
    Provincial winner home v Qualifier

20-21.07.2019 (Sat/Sun)
    Provincial winner v Provincial winner at CP
    Qualifier v Qualifier at CP

03-04.08.2019 (Sat/Sun)
    Qualifier at home v Provincial winner.

New rules like the advance mark and sin bin that were used in the league will not be used in the championship

So obviously Dublin are going for five in a row.
    They had a (by their standards) poor league but I would not read anything into that
    They will again breeze through Leinster.
    Meath had a good league and could make the final as even Kildare are on the other side

Munster is equally as straight forward with Cork getting relegated, Kerry will breeze through it too

Ulster has a bit more spice
    There are three decent teams in Ulster, in no particular order Tyrone, Monaghan and Donegal
    Tyrone and Donegal potentially meet in a SF thus leaving the loser with 3 games to get past to get to the group stages , and thus end up in any of the two groups.

Tyrone finished the league very strongly which is a good sign for them

Monaghan have the easier side on paper so have a good chance of getting to the final

Connacht is a two horse race
    Newly minted League champions Mayo go to NYC next months an then play Roscommon or Leitrim if they win in NYC
    Galway go to London first and if they win play Sligo
    So that sets up a very important Connacht final in Salthill between Galway and Mayo
    Galway have owned Mayo this last few years but have done little else
    Even in the league they were 7 points up at 35 mins away from a league final the they conspired to lose the game and the final place

Winning this is very important for both and it makes the groups stages much easier

The Senior Football Championship Quarter Final Group stages.

Group 1 is an absolute stinker
    Consider this
    Kerry
    Tyrone
    Mayo/Galway
    Donegal

All very possible
    Kerry after they win Munster will be lauded as the team most likely to beat Dublin

But as we say in the league where they struggled v a stronger more experienced team in Mayo they ill meet similar opposition in Group 1 in the form of Tyrone/Monaghan/Donegal, Mayo/Galway etc.
    Its far from a given that Kerry will get out of their group if the group is made up of anything like the above.
    I'll say it now, if Kerry v Mayo is the first game in Group 1 then we may well see the end of Kerry's 20+ year unbeaten streak in Killarney

i can see Tyrone being strong here and getting to another SF

Group 2
    Getting in here is vital for Mayo or Galway
    You get to play Dublin in CP in July and avoid them in the SF
    It is not as tough a group as Group 1 in my opinion, although it will also contain the Ulster loser or qualifier.

I can't see anyone stopping Dublin getting to the final and the only team I can see beating them or even getting close to beating them in the final is Mayo

Great analysis.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,026 ✭✭✭C__MC

Definitely Dublin’s to lose, surprised the media are claiming there falling in back in the pack. They played the league without some of the great great players. Full back line is a worry but it has been since 2015. Doesn’t get exposed thar much as they cover so well and score at will at the other end.

Connolly and o Carroll returning ?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

No and oh hell no.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,003 ✭✭✭blowitupref

Galway reaching NFL final and their first AI semi final for a decade last year can hardly be classed as "done little else" to be fair. I don't see how Kerry will be lauded as the team most likely to beat Dublin off the back of winning a poor Munster championship? they aren't good enough in defense or midfield to challenge Dublin and i won't be surprised if they make another quarter final exit.

I'm not convinced will Donegal do much better than last year either, a tough Ulster draw for them this year and could miss out on the quarter finals depending on the draw.

Dublin were in pre-season mode for the league and worrying for Mayo they were well beaten by Dublin in game that Rob Hennelly was MOTM. I think the last four will be Dublin,Tyrone,Galway and Mayo and eventhough they were well beaten in the final last year i think Tyrone will be the side that gets the closest to Dublin this summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,931 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Galway reaching NFL final and their first AI semi final for a decade last year can hardly be classed as "done little else" to be fair. I don't see how Kerry will be lauded as the team most likely to beat Dublin off the back of winning a poor Munster championship? they aren't good enough in defense or midfield to challenge Dublin and i won't be surprised if they make another quarter final exit.

I'm not convinced will Donegal do much better than last year either, a tough Ulster draw for them this year and could miss out on the quarter finals depending on the draw.

Dublin were in pre-season mode for the league and worrying for Mayo they were well beaten by Dublin in game that Rob Hennelly was MOTM. I think the last four will be Dublin,Tyrone,Galway and Mayo and eventhough they were well beaten in the final last year i think Tyrone will be the side that gets the closest to Dublin this summer.

In 2016 they beat Mayo in Connacht and lost a QF to the footballing giants that are Tipperary.

In 2017 they beat Mayo in Connacht and lost the final to Roscommon, a team that went on to lose thier QF to Mayo by a mamoth 22 points, all be it after a replay.
    Galway woosed out weakly to Kerry.

In 2018 they beat Mayo in Connacht and even though they beat Kerry in a non knockout game in CP they conspired to make things as tough as possible on themselves they losing at home to Monaghan and setting up a SF with Dublin which could have been avoided.
    Oh and they woosed out weakly to Dublin.

I think the above is the definition of doing little else.

4 seasons on from breaking Mayo's grip on Connacht they are no closer to getting to an AI final, let alone winning one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,078 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

C__MC wrote: »
    Definitely Dublin’s to lose, surprised the media are claiming there falling in back in the pack. They played the league without some of the great great players. Full back line is a worry but it has been since 2015. Doesn’t get exposed thar much as they cover so well and score at will at the other end.

Connolly and o Carroll returning ?

Why would it be surprising that the media are going with the "decline" angle.
    Dublin to ease to 5 in a row is a hard story to sell all summer.

4 seasons on from breaking Mayo's grip on Connacht they are no closer to getting to an AI final, let alone winning one.

Far be it from me to get caught up in the cross fire of (yet more) Mayo/Galway border wars, but I would have thought that getting to an All Ireland semi final is a definite, measurable sign of getting closer to an All Ireland final? After all, only 4 counties do it every year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭spurshero

In 2016 they beat Mayo in Connacht and lost a QF to the footballing giants that are Tipperary.

In 2017 they beat Mayo in Connacht and lost the final to Roscommon, a team that went on to lose thier QF to Mayo by a mamoth 22 points, all be it after a replay.

In 2018 they beat Mayo in Connacht and even though they beat Kerry in a non knockout game in CP they conspired to make things as tough as possible on themselves they losing at home to Monaghan and setting up a SF with Dublin which could have been avoided.

3 seasons on actually . They made a semi
    Final last year although well beaten by Dublin . Always easy spot the Mayo fans that have a fear of Galway team winning all Ireland before them

ProudDUB wrote: »
    Far be it from me to get caught up in the cross fire of (yet more) Mayo/Galway border wars, but I would have thought that getting to an All Ireland semi final is a definite, measurable sign of getting closer to an All Ireland final? After all, only 4 counties do it every year.

There was no quarter final (knock-out) for them to lose...

;) bit early for this but sure is it ever too early.

They made it to an All Ireland semi final last year, which is more than Mayo (or Kerry) did. They might have made an unmerciful haims of how they got there, but I wouldn't be so quick to rubbish the accomplishment over all.

Until Meath prove their promotion to Div 1 is more than just a flash in the pan, I'll have to make do with sticking my nose into your festering hatred of a neighbour to ease the boredom. Apols etc etc...

• Advertisement

But they had an easy way to avoid Dublin an thus give themselves a better chance to get to a final, but they lost at home to Monaghan

Just as they lost to Tyrone this year after being 7 up at HT and thus blew their chances of getting to a league final.

That sort of stuff cannot be good for ones confidence in them.

spurshero wrote: »
    3 seasons on actually . They made a semi
    Final last year although well beaten by Dublin . Always easy spot the Mayo fans that have a fear of Galway team winning all Ireland before them

Oh totally agree, give me Dublin's 5 in a row before Galway's one in a row

They made it to an All Ireland semi final last year, which is more than Mayo (or Kerry) did. They might have made an unmerciful haims of how they got there, but I wouldn't be so quick to rubbish the accomplishment over all.

Until Meath prove their promotion to Div 1 is more than just a flash in the pan, I'll have to make do with sticking my nose into your festering hatred of a neighbour to ease the boredom. Apols etc etc...

Too early for me. We'll have to beat New York & Leitrim first.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,003 ✭✭✭blowitupref

2016 Galway were a side that couldn't get out of Div 2 so winning Connacht (first since 2008) was achievement in itself

2017 Galway recovered to reach the quarter finals by giving Donegal a good trimming. Roscommon you shouldn't forget were close to beating Mayo in that drawn game.

2018 as i stated already another Connacht title won along with NFL final and first AI semi final for over a decade which is not the definition of doing nothing else.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,779 ✭✭✭Happyilylost

At least we know how to win one when we have a decent team. Up until Mayo won a Mickey mouse league that no one cares about anymore ye hadn't a FBD let alone a Connacht title to your name in years. As we love to say in Galway. Come back to us when ye win one.

But they had an easy way to avoid Dublin an thus give themselves a better chance to get to a final, but they lost at home to Monaghan

Just as they lost to Tyrone this year after being 7 up at HT and thus blew their chances of getting to a league final.

That sort of stuff cannot be good for ones confidence in them.

Oh they made a complete pigs ear of the Super 8's, there is no doubt about that. Whether they peaked too early & fell flat against Monaghan, or they just had an off day, or they underestimated Monaghan, who can really say? Six of one, half a dozen of another. Personally, I think they got cocky & underestimated Monaghan. But is it fair to slate Galway for it, when a case could be made for the very same thing being behind Mayo losing to Galway 3 years in a row?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,151 ✭✭✭The_Honeybadger

Good OP with a good summary of how the summer might shape up.

At the moment it’s very much Dublin’s to lose but I believe it will be Tyrone rather than Mayo that might have the best chance of toppling them. They finished the league very strongly and if they carry that form in to the summer they will be a dangerous opponent.

Mayo still have all the old failings that saw them fall short in the past and have gotten too much credit from some for beating a lightweight Kerry side in the league final. It’s not beyond them but I cannot see them beating Dublin in Croke Park, though I would certainly wish them well if they get that far. JMO

Hard to know what we will get from Donegal, Galway, Monaghan and Kerry. All have their flaws but any of them can take a big scalp on their day.

Are there signs that things may be levelling off and we may be in for a genuinely competitive championship? I hope so

Do ya know what I actually shouted for mayo in league final cause I thought it was the least they deserved after the last 8 years having come close to the big one . However due to the small kindness of a couple of posters on here I won’t be shouting for them in come summer time .would love to see Moran Higgins etc win an all Ireland but there supporters would be too much to bear seen as most of them live in Galway !

• Registered Users Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭Always_Running

Oh they made a complete pigs ear of the Super 8's, there is no doubt about that. Whether they peaked too early & fell flat against Monaghan, or they just had an off day, or they underestimated Monaghan, who can really say? Six of one, half a dozen of another. Personally, I think they got cocky & underestimated Monaghan. But is it fair to slate Galway for it, when a case could be made for the very same thing being behind Mayo losing to Galway 3 years in a row?
    They were already into the semi final before that game was played and it meant a lot more to Monaghan a must win for them. Galway beat Kerry in Croke Park and Kildare in Newbridge to reach the last 4 the latter wasn't easy to do as Mayo found out.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Do ya know what I actually shouted for mayo in league final cause I thought it was the least they deserved after the last 8 years having come close to the big one . However due to the small kindness of a couple of posters on here I won’t be shouting for them in come summer time .would love to see Moran Higgins etc win an all Ireland but there supporters would be too much to bear seen as most of them live in Galway !

The whole of Mayo will be sad not to have your backing.
    Most of us live in Galway, jaysus we know Galway GAA boys don't know how to count receipts at gates but to come up with a finger in the air statement like that says enough. :rolleyes:

Good to see another thread hounded by Galway trolls.

• Advertisement

yop wrote: »
    The whole of Mayo will be sad not to have your backing.
    Most of us live in Galway, jaysus we know Galway GAA boys don't know how to count receipts at gates but to come up with a finger in the air statement like that says enough. :rolleyes:

Good to see another thread hounded by Galway trolls.
    Galway trolls . Lol . Good lad .

Anyway I think it’s fairly obvious that Dublin are going to be very hard to stop . Not sure they went to hard for league think it’s all about the 5 in a row . Hopefully they will get it a bit tougher then they did last year

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Edgware

"Anyone for the last of the five in a row scarves"
    Either Galvin is playing a cute game or the pack is catching up with Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,422 ✭✭✭flasher0030

Galway trolls . Lol . Good lad .

What??? You are from Galway. And you are trolling. Hence "Galway trolls"

What??? You are from Galway. And you are trolling. Hence "Galway trolls"

Where was I trolling ? Unless ya mean when I said most of mayo live in Galway ?? And let’s be honest there’s a fair bit of truth in that .

Edgware wrote: »
    "Anyone for the last of the five in a row scarves"
    Either Galvin is playing a cute game or the pack is catching up with Dublin.

Neither

Gavin is not playing a cute game, he is not hiding anything, everyone knows how good they are.

And if you look at Donegal 2014, Mayo 2016 and 2017 and even Kerry 2015, the pack are not as far behind Dublin as people think.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,378 ✭✭✭Duffy the Vampire Slayer

At least we know how to win one when we have a decent team. Up until Mayo won a Mickey mouse league that no one cares about anymore ye hadn't a FBD let alone a Connacht title to your name in years. As we love to say in Galway. Come back to us when ye win one.

As if Galway wouldn't be happy to win the league.

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭Pocaide

I'm with Trump on his one we need to build a wall. Keep hose pesky Mayoers out of Galway :):):):)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,370 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hammer Archer

Mod:
    The NFL thread was closed because it turned into a Galway/Mayo sh!tshow! This is going the same way but we obviously can't close it. Cut out the back and forth or we'll start handing out cards/bans.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,779 ✭✭✭Happyilylost

As if Galway wouldn't be happy to win the league.

I think any team would be happy to win a competition. But it's third on a list of four. And with the reformatted championship it's importance has waned further for me.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement