Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Orangutans make and use medicine

Comments

AllForIt wrote: »
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-5259125/Orang-utans-use-medicinal-plants-create-ointment.html

Great apes have been observed chewing plants to make an ointment to treat their aching limbs.

Isn't this just proof that the only difference between animals and humans is that our brains are in most cases simply further developed than animals brains and that this planet we live in was not specifically designed for us, not that I think it was designed at all.

No.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-5259125/Orang-utans-use-medicinal-plants-create-ointment.html

Great apes have been observed chewing plants to make an ointment to treat their aching limbs.

Isn't this just proof that the only difference between animals and humans is that our brains are in most cases simply further developed than animals brains and that this planet we live in was not specifically designed for us, not that I think it was designed at all.

http://www.sciencemag.org/news/2012/06/bonobos-join-chimps-closest-human-relatives

Bonobos and chimps share 99% of human DNA they lack some higher features but this report doesn't surprise me

• Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

We share over half our genes with the Fruit Fly.

The-Fly-Promo-2.gif?resize=450%2C248&ssl=1

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,617 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

I honestly believe that if you sent an orangutan or chimp through the education system they would come out smarter than some of the people I went to school with

• Registered Users Posts: 8,265 ✭✭✭AllForIt

Stheno wrote: »
    http://www.sciencemag.org/news/2012/06/bonobos-join-chimps-closest-human-relatives

Bonobos and chimps share 99% of human DNA they lack some higher features but this report doesn't surprise me

I didn't know that but I'm sure to your average believer that would all be irrelevant because all it would prove is that the raw material we are made up of is largely the same.

What I think the report shows is that the difference between animals and humans is much smaller than some would think in terms of mental abilities, emotions etc... thus making a very good case against the idea that this planet was designed specifially for us.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,131 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

Shouldn't we wipe out all the other intelligent animals so they don't try to out-compete us or try to kill us all off.

I honestly believe that if you sent an orangutan or chimp through the education system they would come out smarter than some of the people I went to school with

Is that a comment on the education system or the ppl who engage in it?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,187 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

Elephant, lizards, giraffe, buffalo and other antelope have been observed eating specific plants to self medicate. Not just primates.

Honeyguides have learned to lead humans to bees nests to feed on the leftovers

Animals are amazing

• Registered Users Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭Rory28

Oranage2 wrote: »
    Shouldn't we wipe out all the other intelligent animals so they don't try to out-compete us or try to kill us all off.

Yes. Yes we should. Start with he ants tho. They have the numbers and are quite gross.

What do you mean like assassinate president Trump?

• Advertisement

IvySlayer wrote: »
    Elephant, lizards, giraffe, buffalo and other antelope have been observed eating specific plants to self medicate. Not just primates.

So this is old news? How embarrassing.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Will I Am Not

He said intelligent...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

Yes, its ok to joke about that. But if someone says to assassinate Obama or Hillary, then they're alt-right.

Ipso wrote: »
    Yes, its ok to joke about that. But if someone says to assassinate Obama or Hillary, then they're alt-right.

Orangutan for president.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,434 ✭✭✭✭banie01

Orangutan for president.

Weirdly was a 2000a.d/Judge Dredd storyline aling those lunes!
    Dave the Orang Utan.

banie01 wrote: »
    Weirdly was a 2000a.d/Judge Dredd storyline aling those lunes!
    Dave the Orang Utan.

I'm on to something.

Ipso wrote: »

I'm just glad no one said Obama, considering the H&M thread

I'm just glad no one said Obama, considering the H&M thread

Monkes not so stupid after all, maybe even a compliment in some cases.

• Registered Users Posts: 668 ✭✭✭Fizzlesque

I think this possibly shows that animals still know stuff that we used to know before we became disconnected from nature. And before making money became bigger (in some minds) than working with nature and accepting its offerings as a way to make our lives better/healthier.

I don't think it was designed for us at all. One look at our dirty plastic deposits in the sea tells me that we are the blight the planet could most do without.

Monkes not so stupid after all, maybe even a compliment.

Well I'd say monkeys are smarter than the people who made those sort of comments about Obama and his family

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

The great thing about animals is that you can eat them for your dinner.

The great thing about animals is that you can eat them for your dinner.

I'm sure your tasty too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭donegaLroad

If it ever gets to a stage where a robot can build another robot which is more intelligent than itself, then it would be a time to start re-assessing how for mankind should continue to advance technology.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,017 ✭✭✭mr_edge_to_you

Before you know it there will be Orangutans on Facebook giving out about Orangutan pharma companies and their conspiracy tactics.

They’ll also be campaigning against modern day vaccination programs in baby Orangutans.

• Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭daveyeh

They'll be refining the poppy next Joe. Where'll we be then? It's a bloody disgrace is what it is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭Fox_In_Socks

It’s an amazing thing to read alright. Is this passed along through their culture or is it something that is done instinctively?

As regards there being little difference between us and other animals...not true. Our ability to use abstractions and plan and be self aware puts us in almost alien territory

And those that say that we are a blight on the planet? Sure we are in
    a way. But we have the ability to see our mistakes and fix them.

Don’t forget that we are in a fight with nature all of the time. We’re going to loose when we die.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Didn't orangutan cause HIV?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

I read a few months ago about an experiment ran on a type of bird (it may have been a crows? It was a fairly common one) where they were testing problem solving skills by giving them a puzzle. The bird was smart enough to use a small stick they were given to unlock a second stick, then use that second stick to unlock the prize - I thought that was pretty remarkable.

Took a check there, and either I misremembered the test they ran or I was a bit off on what it was, but it was Hawaiian and New Caledonian crows.

http://www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-37354588
    That task consisted of logs with holes and crevices that were baited with food that was just out of a bill's reach.

"They were able to pick up sticks from the aviary," said Dr Rutz, "and of all the birds we tested, 93% used [the sticks as] tools. This suggests this is a species-wide skill.

"They were incredibly dextrous in the way that they handled the sticks, shortened them when they were too long, and discarded them if they were not happy with them."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,277 ✭✭✭Your Face

Didn't orangutan cause HIV?

And now they're looking to find a cure.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Coolest monkey in the jungle

Advertisement