Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

DCM 2019 - Mentored Novices Thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭passinginterest

rizzee wrote: »
    Thank you! It's not great to be honest. Only 20-30KMs but I obviously plan on upping that and following the beginners plan in the OP.

Thanks for the advice :)

Staff Relay Race today, I'm looking for a sub 25:30, did 23:01 last year but I had a little niggle in the ankle the weekend so haven't trained how I would have liked.

Did the staff relay last night. It’s a tough course with a big downhill in the first mile, fairly sharp climb in the second and then a lot of grass for the third. I had planned to run it fairly steady but got a bit caught up in the buzz and not wanting to be slowest in the team so ended up running it pretty close to max effort. Was delighted to get around in 22.36.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,789 ✭✭✭rizzee

Did the staff relay last night. It’s a tough course with a big downhill in the first mile, fairly sharp climb in the second and then a lot of grass for the third. I had planned to run it fairly steady but got a bit caught up in the buzz and not wanting to be slowest in the team so ended up running it pretty close to max effort. Was delighted to get around in 22.36.

Well done!! I surprised myself and did 22.49 (pb!!) . I was the first one out (A), and was very comfortable in the run. Perfect weather for it, nice and cool

• Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭Prospector1989

Did the relay tonight myself. Was the last leg on the team. Lots of waiting around. Very decent crowds.
    Think the team time came in at 2:32:xx, was a nice evening out was great to see people of all abilities taking part. May have turned one or two of them into runners!

Personal target was sub 24:30.
    Went out hard down the hill and managed to maintain a decent pace up the hills. Happy with my own time of 24:01 on a difficult course!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,754 ✭✭✭ReeReeG

Ballybog wrote: »
    Dipping my toe into this post. I missed out on the DCM tickets, but will be on standby as soon as the second wave is release to try ans secure one.

I am a novice runner, started with local parkruns last summer and gently built up my fitness levels.

Looking to get into a formal plan, even if I don't get an entry into the DCM, might look at alternative marathons later on in the year.

Current PB's:
    5km 28min
    10km 58min
    Wicklow half 2h 17min

Looking forward to hearing all the advice here !

Hey Ballybog. Hope you get an entry when it reopens!

Have you looked at the plans in the opening post? What sort of mileage are you typically doing in a week at the moment?
    Was that Wicklow half time from this year?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭Bananaleaf

An ultrasound tomorrow will hopefully confirm for sure, but it looks like I have a hernia. Swelling began on Thurs. Went to A&E last night. I'm not looking for medical advice, I will get that tomorrow from my doc, but just in a bit of a mood about it at the moment. My training has been very good and very consistent.

Just wondering if anyone knows how much of an issue this is likely to be? I've private health insurance so would be hoping to have what needs to be done ASAP. I know I haven't yet been diagnosed and that everyone is different, but am expecting to be waiting 6weeks until I can return to training. Say 7 when you factor in getting the diagnosis and the procedure if needed.

Boards plan starts in 5weeks if I've done my maths right.

Am I screwed or am I lucky that it has happened now rather than later?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,701 ✭✭✭Mr. Guappa

Bananaleaf wrote: »
    An ultrasound tomorrow will hopefully confirm for sure, but it looks like I have a hernia. Swelling began on Thurs. Went to A&E last night. I'm not looking for medical advice, I will get that tomorrow from my doc, but just in a bit of a mood about it at the moment. My training has been very good and very consistent.

Just wondering if anyone knows how much of an issue this is likely to be? I've private health insurance so would be hoping to have what needs to be done ASAP. I know I haven't yet been diagnosed and that everyone is different, but am expecting to be waiting 6weeks until I can return to training. Say 7 when you factor in getting the diagnosis and the procedure if needed.

Boards plan starts in 5weeks if I've done my maths right.

Am I screwed or am I lucky that it has happened now rather than later?

First off, I'm really gutted to hear about this setback, and fingers crossed that tomorrow delivers better news than you expect. The good news is that you've a really great base built up which will stand to you, whenever you get the all clear.

The plans actually start in 4 weeks, and coming back from a 7 week layoff into week 4, I'd be wary of doing too much too soon, ideally you'd spend a few weeks gradually and cautiously building the mileage back up. I'd always lean towards the sensible, conservative option, but let's see how tomorrow goes first?

Mr. Guappa wrote: »
    First off, I'm really gutted to hear about this setback, and fingers crossed that tomorrow delivers better news than you expect. The good news is that you've a really great base built up which will stand to you, whenever you get the all clear.

The plans actually start in 4 weeks, and coming back from a 7 week layoff into week 4, I'd be wary of doing too much too soon, ideally you'd spend a few weeks gradually and cautiously building the mileage back up. I'd always lean towards the sensible, conservative option, but let's see how tomorrow goes first?

Oh no, 4 weeks! Okay, yes, lets see what happens tomorrow first. I'm totally fine with gradual buildup - will be just delighted to get back into it.

It was the gym that did it. Not the running. I've been very good with my running, taking it very slow. But it looks like 5days running and 3days gym has finally taken its toll. Lifting weights that were obviously too heavy for me. LEARN FROM MY MISTAKE PEOPLE!!

We will see what tomorrow brings. My plan was in 2 weeks time to drop back from 3gym to 1gym per week. Why oh Why didn't I do this earlier?

Thanks Mr Guappa. Will let you know how it goes tomorrow. Fingers crossed for good news.

So, just 4 weeks now to go until the plans kick off, and only 22 weeks to go until DCM! It will come around a lot quicker than you'd think. If you haven't done so already, use the next 4 weeks to gradually build your mileage, get accustomed to running at least 4 days a week, and most importantly, getting used to slowing it down!

As you may have seen on Strava, I was away last week so it's great to see a few more recruits have joined the party in that time. Speaking of Strava, I'll plug our group again: https://www.strava.com/clubs/523351. Just remember to pop myself, ReeReeG or Huzzah! a PM with your Strava name.

I'd also like to note that if you've signed up for DCM but for some reason can't now take part, that you can avail of a refund between the 3rd-16th June. Do ask our opinion though if it's a confidence or fear thing, we'll give you honest feedback. The additional entries will go on sale at 9am on the 1st July, so mark that date in your diary if you're waiting to claim an entry!

I've noted some great racing over the past week or two as well, please keep us updated on any upcoming races you have pencilled in. If you haven't done many races before, they are a great test run for the big day, and we definitely recommend getting in a couple during the training block.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,726 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

Aw bananaleaf :o
    That is crap news. But hopefully things won't look as bad once you've got your diagnosis... I'm sure I'm not the only one here who's keeping everything crossed for you :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,280 ✭✭✭positron

Wow this thread is already 250 posts long and I never said hello. well.. Hello.

I am a DCM graduate from 2017 batch (Wubbles wonders), really looking forward to reading updates here, reports on the trials and tribulations of putting your body and mind thru the training plan, the excitement and the reports after the d-day. All the very best wishes to Mr. Guappas' 2019 batch, you are all in for such a treat, the very first marathon journey is just so special.

I have signed for 2019 although I have been running a lot less this year than I have in the last two years. Yet to pick a plan but I have never been too successful in sticking to plan really close. I will follow the boards plan in general, building up distances with everyone in this thread. It's going to be great... going to be the best DCM to date.. :D

• Advertisement

Hi all. Me again, just wanted to put this in a separate post.
    I got a CT scan today rather than an ultrasound. Don't know why. The results of that suggested that rather than having a hernia it is just a pulled muscle which has lead to quite a lot of subcutaneous inflammation, hence the abnormal swelling. I was delighted with life until the idea of getting a second opinion was put into my head on account of this person's opinion (from personal experience - they are not a doctor nor are they trying to be) that CTs can miss hernias as you are lying down for them.

If the swelling abates, I'm tempted to leave well enough alone. The hospital wants me back in 2 weeks to see how things are and I'm in with GP tomorrow hopefully, so might just see what she thinks too.

Anyway, if my scan is correct, I could be back running in 2 weeks. Am holding off on the celebrations just yet.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,726 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

Oooohhhhh bananaleaf! Keeping everything that can be crossed, crossed for you :D

• Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭Soulsun

Hi folks
    In terms of pace are these stats SLOW enough?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭skyblue46

Soulsun wrote: »
    Hi folks

It all depends on what your race pace for a distance is and what pace you hope to run DCM at. It sound about right for a 4:45-5:00 hour marathon plan.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 873 ✭✭✭Casey78

Classy medal imo

The pink is a bit odd, but the medal itself is nice

Hi folks

Do you have a recent race time that you can use to calculate your paces? If not, try and get to a parkrun one of the coming Saturday's and get an up-to-date gauge on where you're at. I know you listed 2017 PB's before, but you should train to current fitness, not previous fitness, and not to a goal time. Train at suitable paces for where you are now.

• Registered Users Posts: 926 ✭✭✭Irishder

Hi all,
    As i am upping the mileage i might buy a few gels to try out, never took them before. I think they are using HIGH5 gels in the DCM this year. Whats the best place to buy these?

Thanks

Irishder wrote: »
    Hi all,
    As i am upping the mileage i might buy a few gels to try out, never took them before. I think they are using HIGH5 gels in the DCM this year. Whats the best place to buy these?

Thanks

I used those last year, and will probably do so again this year. They have them in Elverys if you want to pick up a few to try out, then you could bulk buy online if you're happy with them.

You should only need them once the long run time starts getting past the 90 minute mark. Like anything in running, gradually break them in, I started by taking a half one during an 8 mile run, then a full one the next week. They don't agree with some people, but everybody will need fuelling during the marathon so now is the time to start experimenting and identifying what suits you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,217 ✭✭✭cullenswood

And don't rely on getting the gels they give out during the actual marathon. Make sure you are carrying your own, just in case you don't pick one up at the actual station.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,250 ✭✭✭coogy

Irishder wrote: »
    Hi all,

Thanks

Definitely a case of trial and error in terms of what suits you. Last year, I went straight for the High 5 gels and they just happened to work for me. Occasionally I took in some Cliff Bloks but I stuck with the gels for the most part all the way through training and during the marathon. As your training progresses and your long run distance increases, you'll get to know what your body needs in terms of fuelling.
    Very important too to know when to take in fuelling during your run. If you leave it too long, then it won't have the desired effect and you'll just end up bonking. Again, this is something you'll be able to perfect in time.

As Mr. Guappa said, Elverys is a good place to buy, also most cycle stores and I think Supervalu are stocking them now too.

• Registered Users Posts: 422 ✭✭clickhere

Just a quick question for our mentors. Currently doing 2 or 3 10ks during the week and 15k at the weekend until the plan starts. Will we be cutting back the distance to fit the plan or carry on until the plan catches up. Sorry if it sounds like a stupid question. Thanks..

Controversial opinion perhaps but the best energy boost is a humble banana... cheaper, tastier and probably safer. It even comes with it's own biodegradable wrapper...! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 347 ✭✭Rossi7

positron wrote: »
    Controversial opinion perhaps but the best energy boost is a humble banana... cheaper, tastier and probably safer. It even comes with it's own biodegradable wrapper...! :D
    You'd get some funny looks with that stuck down your shorts on a LSR

• Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭skyblue46

Rossi7 wrote: »

And even more funny looks with the 6 you'd need for DCM!

Rossi7 wrote: »

Hmm... is she checking me out or she is just hungry..? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 735 ✭✭✭Treviso

I've used Maurten gels during my 25k and found them excellent. Granted its been a while since I tried other gels but I had no ill effects from them. They have a slightly sweet taste and I was able to take them without water. Disadvantages are they are pricier and they seem to be bulkier than other gels. Can't imagine having 4 or 5 of them on me at the start of DCM!

clickhere wrote: »
    Just a quick question for our mentors. Currently doing 2 or 3 10ks during the week and 15k at the weekend until the plan starts. Will we be cutting back the distance to fit the plan or carry on until the plan catches up. Sorry if it sounds like a stupid question. Thanks..

Not a stupid question at all! The advice is usually to wait for the plan to catch up. Keep an eye on the weekly total as well as the daily totals. On the Hal Higdon plan, you'd never be doing 3 x midweek 10k's, the Tues and Thurs runs max out at 8k.

Also, you might have noticed that the plans have step-back weeks every third week or so, where the mileage drops. No harm in doing the same over the next week or two if you've recently upped the mileage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 422 ✭✭clickhere

Mr. Guappa wrote: »
    Not a stupid question at all! The advice is usually to wait for the plan to catch up. Keep an eye on the weekly total as well as the daily totals. On the Hal Higdon plan, you'd never be doing 3 x midweek 10k's, the Tues and Thurs runs max out at 8k.

Also, you might have noticed that the plans have step-back weeks every third week or so, where the mileage drops. No harm in doing the same over the next week or two if you've recently upped the mileage.

Thanks a lot Mr Guappa for the quick response. I'll try to carry on with the same distance so. One of the other mentors has given the advice to try and keep your LSR distance to 50% of your weekly runs which I have been trying to stick too. One of best statements was if your mates see you when you are doing your LSR and your not embarrassed. Your not running slow enough. 😠Thanks everyone for the advice so far.

Advertisement