Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buying near a phone mast

• 14-03-2019 10:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 28

I've been house hunting for well over a year now and have found a place I like. However there is a 24 metre high mobile phone mast on a neighbour's land which is very close to the house and is also an eyesore. Other than potentially affecting resale value when the time comes (it's very visible to one side of the house) is there anything else I should consider an issue?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36,162 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Nope.

The phone you hold to your head is irradiating you much more than it ever will.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,861 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

ED E wrote:
    The phone you hold to your head is irradiating you much more than it ever will.

100 percent correct.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,468 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

if it comes down is it within reach of your house would be my only concern...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭Effects

I don't know. What happens when they switch it over to 5G. That's a whole new can of worms.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,847 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Effects wrote: »
    I don't know. What happens when they switch it over to 5G. That's a whole new can of worms.

Still less radiation than most everything in their house will be emitting.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,221 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Bananas are radioactive.

Be grand. Don't listen to hippies with access to Facebook.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,861 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

I used to laugh at the water meter protesters ranting about how we are all going to die because the meters are so radioactive. The meter buried in the ground twenty feet away from their house. Outside their house. Then you see them protesting & everyone had the most radioactive device the would come into contact with that day in their hands recording themselves shouting "peaceful protest". :)

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,479 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

5G will be absolutely no different in terms of emissions.

If you are that worried about RF, you really shouldn't be using a computer

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,168 ✭✭✭Ursus Horribilis

If you've got misgivings, it's better to walk now. If your thoughts about the house are "it's lovely but...." it's going to eat away at you. Regardless of what radiation may or may not come from the mast. Bear in mind too that most people you ask in person will sit on the fence and not give you a truthful opinion.

For what it's worth, I wouldn't buy and not because of radiation fears.

L1011 wrote: »
    5G will be absolutely no different in terms of emissions.

If you are that worried about RF, you really shouldn't be using a computer

I don’t use a computer exactly for just reason.
    I don’t use mobile phones either.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,418 ✭✭✭✭banie01

So you are posting to the internet via carrier pigeon?

Technology truly is wonderful!

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,479 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Unless you're dictating your posts to someone in another room via speaking tube for posting - this isn't a place for jokes.

There is absolutely zero evidence (from reputable sources) that non-ionizing radiation is in anyway harmful. It is literally tin-foil hat stuff worrying about it.

As for the ops question. The eyesore aspect would be the only concern but on the other hand you are guaranteed excellent phone reception so that's a positive.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 jellybellyelly

Thanks for the replies.

Radiation had crossed my mind briefly when I first saw the mast but it doesn't concern me too much. I think it's a case that I'd prefer the property minus the mast (it's missing in the EA photos!) and don't think I could gaze out at it every day over breakfast.

And yes, even though the property is out in the sticks the mobile coverage is 100% :P

It being missing from the EA photos says it all.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 56 ✭✭bluetractor

and is also an eyesore.

How is it an eyesore? Is the electricity pole or copper wire telephone pole an eyesore. Is a neighbours house and eyesore?
    This is just in your mind and fair play for the right thinking of the day you buy is the day you sell. But I and probably many others would love to have a mobile mast within a couple of hundred metres of my house. Think of the benefits - high speed mobile broadband for €30/month. Assuming its 4g, expect 20mb-30mb download and then true high speed when 5g comes along. Think of the cost savings over having FTTH or the saving of your sanity of having to deal with eir.

If I had that house and i was selling it - this would be a sales feature. I'd add at least €5k to the price :D

• Administrators Posts: 53,275 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Ah EA photos are always a bit suspect.

Rooms made to look enormous with wide angle lenses, exposure increased to make every room look really bright, bright and sunny skies in the photos so the garden looks spectacular.

Wouldn't read too much into that.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,530 ✭✭✭✭listermint

ehh...

What estate agents do you know include any details that they would not like....

• Registered Users Posts: 28 jellybellyelly

How is it an eyesore?

It's a rural property with a hefty premium on it for the 'unspoilt panoramic views' - the EA is marketing it as an area of natural beauty, stunning unspoilt views etc...except for the phone mast in the middle of that unspoilt view. The neighbour's house is on a lower level (down a slight hill) so their house isn't really too visible in the line of sight. The phone mast is on a raised piece of land behind their house which is on the boundary with the house I'm thinking about and extends 24 metres up from there, directly in the line of sight and in the middle of the 'panoramic views'. That's why I'd consider it an eyesore, and the closeness of it makes it more prominent.

It's a probate sale and the house has been empty for a number of years so the owners may not have known the mast was going in.

listermint wrote: »
    ehh...

What estate agents do you know include any details that they would not like....

??

• Advertisement
  • Administrators Posts: 53,275 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

It's a rural property with a hefty premium on it for the 'unspoilt panoramic views' - the EA is marketing it as an area of natural beauty, stunning unspoilt views etc...except for the phone mast in the middle of that unspoilt view. The neighbour's house is on a lower level (down a slight hill) so their house isn't really too visible in the line of sight. The phone mast is on a raised piece of land behind their house which is on the boundary with the house I'm thinking about and extends 24 metres up from there, directly in the line of sight and in the middle of the 'panoramic views'. That's why I'd consider it an eyesore, and the closeness of it makes it more prominent.

It's a probate sale and the house has been empty for a number of years so the owners may not have known the mast was going in.
    So the fact it's a phone mast is irrelevant really, it's just that there's an unnatural structure in your view that spoils it for you. Could be anything, electric poles, wind turbine etc.

So really it just comes down to whether or not you'd ever get used to it being there, or it would just annoy you forever. Nobody else can answer this one for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,424 ✭✭✭Markcheese

How close to the house (and garden) is the mast, and is it the first thing you see? (largely hidden by the hedge or casts a shadow on the garden,
    If everything else about the house works for you, and the mast isn't going to impact, then go for it..

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Registered Users Posts: 33,530 ✭✭✭✭listermint

??

"EA didnt take picutures of the mast... says it all"

EA's dont take pictures of alot of things. I dont understand your point.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

the EA is marketing it as an area of natural beauty, stunning unspoilt views etc...except for the phone mast in the middle of that unspoilt view.
    If you got the house at a bit cheaper, would the eyesore still annoy you? If yes, look at another house, if no, haggle the price down.

banie01 wrote: »
    So you are posting to the internet via carrier pigeon?

I have someone print off the threads I'm interested in and I handwrite responses, which they then type up. It can mean delays, but keeps me clear of harmful radiations.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,790 ✭✭✭2Mad2BeMad

I have someone print off the threads I'm interested in and I handwrite responses, which they then type up. It can mean delays, but keeps me clear of harmful radiations.

Be careful you might get artritus from that.

Op try haggle the price down. They might expect it seen as how they didn't include it in pics.

Advertisement