Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Two lines as Gaeilge in an English language movei

• 13-02-2019 9:28pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 44

Can anyone help me with getting part of the dialogue in this movie,
    The Secret of Boyne Castle, also known as Guns in the Heather.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3LRuQxrc3pg

At about 23 minutes 40 seconds, one of the characters, Seán, waves down a lorry and says to the driver something like:

".........., a dhuine uasal, tá .......... sa tóir orainn"
    and the lorry driver replies "Maith go leor, maith go leor".

I got that he said someone was chasing them, but I couldn't make out some of the actual words.

When the other character, Rich, played by Kurt Russell, asks him "What did you say to him?", Seán replies "I told him to go like a rat up a drainpipe".

The movie was filmed at various places in Clare and Galway.
    The location for this particular scene was Sixmilebridge, County Clare.

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,850 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

I'm fairly certain the second bit is "bithiúnaigh", the plural form of "bithiúnach", translated as "scoundrels" in Foclóir Uí Dhomhnaill.

The first word sounds like an error, as if he's saying "Haltaigí!" despite only speaking to one person.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 44 hugedinosaur

Go raibh maith agat.

Advertisement