Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Denis O'Brien, Catherine Murphy and the threatening lawsuit letters....

• 28-05-2015 9:03pm
    Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Denis O'Brien's lawyers have had a busy day sending letters to various media outlets (including the Broadsheet, who have bravely refused to cave) regarding his interactions with IBRC (Irish Bank Resolution Corporation).

Funny thing... the Oireachtas debates enjoy a privileged position in Irish society in that they are protected speech and TD's cant be sued for what they say on the floor. Neat huh!

That extends to the records kept of those debates.

Some of those records are even kept online.

Page 27, paragraph 3 is fascinating.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,465 ✭✭✭✭darkpagandeath

Exactly how can you stop reporting for publicly available information ? It's a simple as that it's in the public domain.

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Wow... they even made a film of it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,154 ✭✭✭silverfeather

DeVore wrote: »
    Denis O'Brien's lawyers have had a busy day sending letters to various media outlets (including the Broadsheet, who have bravely refused to cave) regarding his interactions with IBRC (Irish Bank Resolution Corporation).
    It's why the media won't tough him. Fear of powerful litigation is ....powerful.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,380 ✭✭✭✭Banjo String

Funny thing... the Oireachtas debates enjoy a privileged position in Irish society in that they are protected speech and TD's cant be sued for what they say on the floor. Neat huh!

That extends to the records kept of those debates.

Some of those records are even kept online.

Page 27, paragraph 3 is fascinating.

I will be very proudly giving Catherine a vote come election time, one of the very few politicians we have that is actually working in the best interest of the very people that elected her.

Todays acrions were a stroke of genius! Bravo Catherine.

Edit FG have just released a press statement

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭TallGlass

For someone trying to hide his personal banking matters he is going above and beyond to get this matter silenced, which absolutely stinks to me.

• Advertisement
  • Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Not so simple, Irish law is not what you see on CSI or Law & Order... you can (and he has) quite easily stop the reporting of information ... that's why what Catherine did today is really important, its one of the few areas where things that are said cant be erased or quashed.

It's why the media won't tough him. Fear of powerful litigation is ....powerful.

How can you litigate against reporting of publicly available information. You would have to somehow get the information removed from the Dail transcripts and remove the Dail videos all protected.

Exactly how can you stop reporting for publicly available information ? It's a simple as that it's in the public domain.
    It's not in the media domain though which mean certain people will not or cannot talk about it. Then it becomes not about freedom of information but lack of freedom of speech for certain people. Professional journalists are tied just as in the time of Haughey.

How can you litigate against reporting of publicly available information. You would have to somehow get the information removed from the Dail transcripts and remove the Dail videos all protected.
    Exactly.

You go and find me the (previously available) reportage from Irish media today on the content of that speech. You wont find it because they've removed it.

Hence one of the few places you CAN find it is on the protected Oireachtas site.

You can litigate who reprints it for libel. Or imply other measures will be taken.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,459 ✭✭✭Chucken

It's not in the media domain though which mean certain people will not or cannot talk about it. Then it becomes not about freedom of information but lack of freedom of speech for certain people. Professional journalists are tied just as in the time of Haughey.

It's on youtube :)

The dogs in the street will know what journalists say they didn't. Just like after every other scandal.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭goat2

it is worldwide right now, showing favouriteism to one individual, are fg and labour favouring him or miss murphy

You can litigate who reprints it for libel. Or imply other measures will be taken.

Is freedom of speech not in the constitution ? I'm not talking about everything like being Racist or hate. There are laws covering that.

Chucken wrote: »
    But why then is the professional Irish media ignoring it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭TallGlass

So this is what he was trying to keep out of the media.
    I understand that Mr. O'Brien was enjoying a rate of approximately 1.25% when IBRC could, and arguably should, have been charging 7.5%. Given that we are talking about outstanding sums of upwards of €500 million, the interest rate applied is not an insignificant issue for the public interest.

Well. I'm lost for words. Why in gods name was he getting a rate so low, this deal has robbed the tax payer of millions in interest. To me this is a little more serious than a personal banking issue, the judge has some questions to answer on this I would imagine now.

Amazing how banks can't lower interest rates for mortgage holders, yet can manage to drop more than 5% for one man!

TallGlass wrote: »

Well. I'm lost for words. Why in gods name was he getting a rate so low, this deal has robbed the tax payer of €500 million.

Amazing how banks can't lower interest rates for mortgage holders, yet can manage to drop more than 5% for one man!

Don't forget the write downs...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,459 ✭✭✭Chucken

They're all scared of Dinny. Fair play to Broadsheet for leaving it up.

Is freedom of speech not in the constitution ? I'm not talking about everything like being Racist or hate. There are laws covering that.
    No there is no freedom of speech right in our constitution, that's America you are thinking of unfortunately.

You can read what Broadsheet are under threat of here: http://www.broadsheet.ie/2015/05/28/redacteds-1-25-interest-rate/ (down the bottom of the article)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

Watch it disappear from youtube!

• Advertisement

They're not ignoring it... they have been sent letters threatening lawsuits if they didn't take down their reportage of it.

wmpdd3 wrote: »

YT are not an Irish media outlet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,843 ✭✭✭Uncle Ben

TallGlass wrote: »

Well. I'm lost for words. Why in gods name was he getting a rate so low, this deal has robbed the tax payer of €500 million. To me this is a little more serious than a personal banking issue, the judge has some questions to answer on this I would imagine now.

Lol. And when you contrast that with how Noonan and FG are treating SVR mortgage holders. No 1.25% rate for the ordinary plebs.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭goat2

it can disappear when it likes, it has been seen worldwide right now, fair dues to her for letting us know the truth, and he think he will get us to pay for water that is already paid from car tax money, he is definately dreaming,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,292 ✭✭✭RecordStraight

Huge problem with our libel laws. Our laws are so restrictive it kills investigative reporting ---> huge scope for corruption.

YT are not an Irish media outlet.
    They can abuse the copyright system to get it taken down (one of the many reasons I've been fighting those dumb copyright laws recently).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,740 ✭✭✭the evasion_kid

Can anyone save it?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭Nate--IRL--

I wonder who will win out.... DOB and public apathy, or the Constitution (15.12) and Freedom of information.

Nate

No there is no freedom of speech right in our constitution, that's America you are thinking of unfortunately.

You can read what Broadsheet are under threat of here: http://www.broadsheet.ie/2015/05/28/redacteds-1-25-interest-rate/ (down the bottom of the article)

Seems very very odd, Can a judge rule on what a protected individual can say ? Could the Ruling be challenged ?
    Freedom of expression
    You have a right to freely express your convictions and opinions. However, the Constitution asserts that the State should try to make sure that the radio, the press and the cinema are not used to undermine public order or morality or the authority of the State. It also states that it is an offence to publish or utter blasphemous, seditious or indecent matter.
    There are some limitations on your freedom of expression. For example, the Censorship of Publications Acts and the Censorship of Films Acts allow censorship of publications like books, films and DVDs.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 255 ✭✭Mechanical Clocktail

The slimy little Maltesian.

Advertisement