Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Calf price chitchat

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,940 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

moll3 wrote: »
    ya calves took a big drop in Listowel today

Sold 4 fr bulls today enniscorthy.
    80 to 150. Averaged 120 between the 4.
    I was expecting more to be honest.
    Square type, mostly 3 weeks of age.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

whelan2 wrote: »

It would be in their interest to try soften the market abit with ads like that ha...

• Registered Users Posts: 28,912 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Timmaay wrote: »
    It would be in their interest to try soften the market abit with ads like that ha...
    I'd say they will get a load of calls on that ad and just say they are sold BUT they have other more expensive calves...

• Registered Users Posts: 24,343 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,394 ✭✭✭kk.man

Timmaay wrote: »
    I'd say they will get a load of calls on that ad and just say they are sold BUT they have other more expensive calves...
    Did they ever exist???....no sorry they are sold but I've ones here for a €150 ...maybe it's the cynic in me !

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 851 ✭✭✭Pidae.m

• Registered Users Posts: 4,523 ✭✭✭White Clover

Being honest, that's what the best of them are worth to anyone buying them to try and make a few job.

Being honest, that's what the best of them are worth to anyone buying them to try and make a few job.
    I wonder how much they bought them off the farmer for ?

Pidae.m wrote: »
    There mothers might be Charolais :)
    That's a big might

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭adam14

They are some group of chancers in general

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,940 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

The thing is if that's all that's paid for square fr, lads won't breed the square fr anymore. The advantages to breeding such stock was always the bull calf and cull cow price. If that disappears you're better off breeding jersey.

Not saying these were square fr but you know what I mean.
    The add just seems a cynical ploy by Wicklow cattle company to drag down the market and get cheaper calves for themselves. They shot themselves in the foot by putting their name to it. Although they will get new buying customers from this add.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,013 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

Reggie. wrote: »

Na I will wait until they are for sale as weanlings or 18 month stores

Slava Ukrainii

I wonder how much they bought them off the farmer for ?

They may be calves out of several bunches that were unsuitable for export. They may be some with jex on the card and because they are young are only hassle on a yard like that

Slava Ukrainii

Na I will wait until they are for sale as weanlings or 18 month stores

Smooth operator :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,070 ✭✭✭visatorro

120eur fr bulls out of the yard here to a farmer. He's happy not to go to the mart.
    Dealer is collecting fr bulls from a neighbour twice a week for thirty euro. This guy would be milking a lot more than me so I can understand why he's happy to get rid.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,701 ✭✭✭dar31

have the next 50 sold to a farmer, €65 at 7 -10 days old,
    collect once a week till he has enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭Sheep breeder

They may be calves out of several bunches that were unsuitable for export. They may be some with jex on the card and because they are young are only hassle on a yard like that

Exactly with the numbers they handle each week and the exports and the age factor, they are required to get these rubbish fr out of the country to give the good beef cattle a chance.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,898 ✭✭✭alps

Did PM in January, and felt we were missing payment for a few calves.

Had time tonight to give the thing a proper trawl, and lo and behold 6 calves to an exporter, normally paid electronically...but no payment showing..

We'll find out tomorrow where that went to....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,701 ✭✭✭dar31

alps wrote: »

Had time tonight to give the thing a proper trawl, and lo and behold 6 calves to an exporter, normally paid electronically...but no payment showing..

Had the same issue last year payment received a year late, no apologies.

dar31 wrote: »
    Had the same issue last year payment received a year late, no apologies.

Think Whelan had similar issues one year

• Advertisement

Reggie. wrote: »
    Think Whelan had similar issues one year

Payment on day here now. Stopped dealing with the messers altogether. No wonder they can advertise cheap calves if they're not paying for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,843 ✭✭✭kevthegaff

Had a problem myself before, arrived into the man's yard with a trailer load g bales , he soon paid

• Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭oxjkqg

Friesian bulls 100 euro - collected out of the yard 7 days old
    Whitehead bulls from springers 200 - collected out of the yard 7 days old
    whitehead heifers from springers 170- collected out of the yard 7 days old

No room in the calf shed keep the wheels turning

Exactly with the numbers they handle each week and the exports and the age factor, they are required to get these rubbish fr out of the country to give the good beef cattle a chance.

I am afraid that you did not read my post . I expect taht these cales are unsuitable for export. At the end of the day if you cost a suckler calf at 500 euro dropped on the ground these calves leave maybe more of a margin for expenses than lots of suckler bred cattle
    Payment on day here now. Stopped dealing with the messers altogether. No wonder they can advertise cheap calves if they're not paying for them.

It is hard to know if these are cheap calves, all will be on there third movement to next owner. Looking at the photo we can see maybe 7-8 of the calves two are white cales and look on the extreme HO side. Some look to be tall calves and as I posted earlier they may be out of different bunches and some may have JE breeding. No transport included usually if buying off large dealers like this they will deliver so if you want them for the 300 you have to collect. I imagine they will cost another 100 if you require delivery.

Slava Ukrainii

alps wrote: »

Did you get sorted?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,556 ✭✭✭simx

Sold 4 fr bulls @ 130 each and 2 hex heifers @ 250 each in yard this eve happy enough

Fr 10-14 days
    Hex 3-4 wks

• Registered Users Posts: 5,480 ✭✭✭giveitholly

simx wrote: »
    Sold 4 fr bulls @ 130 each and 2 hex heifers @ 250 each in yard this eve happy enough

Fr 10-14 days
    Hex 3-4 wks

Not bad money for the Fr

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭RedPeppers

simx wrote: »

Fr 10-14 days
    Hex 3-4 wks

You did better than me sold 5 Fr bulls at mart yesterday 2 weeks old ave €110.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,898 ✭✭✭alps

Did you get sorted?

Emailed last night and again at lunch time...no reply..

Going to let their local rep know in the morning, and let him know that if not rectified by 10am Monday., it will just have to go on their Facebook page....

If I remember, did you get sorted that way?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭Sheep breeder

When you sold the calves was it direct or through an agent

Advertisement