Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Deal or no deal , UK preparing for 35 % drop in property prices with no deal

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,121 ✭✭✭amcalester

Why so blue OP?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭handlemaster

amcalester wrote: »
    Why so blue OP?

indeed that is the question

• Registered Users Posts: 3,841 ✭✭✭Jet Black

Says one guy in the bank who's been predicting the end of the UK, recessions and a 18% drop in property prices between 2016-2018...

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭pnecilcaser

Honestly I have been watching this with a lot of interest as I was considering buying a property in Belfast or another major UK city. There seems to be an insurgence of youtube videos talking about the re-unification of the North of Ireland with the Republic in the wake of Brexit as they voted to stay in the EU.

Take a look at: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gBtuwSixYoE

In my opinion, property prices in the UK generally represent better value for money (with the exception of London of course) compared to Ireland. However, while we have a property tax they have water charges and council taxes though, which usually work out a lot more. The cost of running a property there is more.

I had heard some people say that Brexit could have up to a 10% impact on property prices here in Ireland but the story changes depending on who you listen to. There are so many opinions out there that confirmation bias is easy to achieve for whatever unfolding of events you would like to see. My plan is to watch closely and be prepared with a healthy deposit and all the paperwork in place in case there is a good deal to be had somewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Honestly I have been watching this with a lot of interest as I was considering buying a property in Belfast or another major UK city. There seems to be an insurgence of youtube videos talking about the re-unification of the North of Ireland with the Republic in the wake of Brexit as they voted to stay in the EU.
    If Belfast joins Ireland, it'll be like Limerick. A city far away from Dublin with gang problems. Would you buy property in Limerick?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭fret_wimp2

the_syco wrote: »
    Would you buy property in Limerick?

Depends, if I live there , have family there or have some reason to then perhaps.

Dublin, Carlow, limerick, sligo, cork, insert town here all have problems including gangs which you specifically mention.

Lots of people find reason to buy property in limerick, Belfast and a all other other places all the time . Your statement is pointless.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭handlemaster

Jet Black wrote: »
    Says one guy in the bank who's been predicting the end of the UK, recessions and a 18% drop in property prices between 2016-2018...

Has Mark Carney been saying this ?

If Belfast joins Ireland, it'll be like Limerick. A city far away from Dublin with gang problems. Would you buy property in Limerick?

Short answer is yes. Longer answer is, if the investment gave a good return and my the due diligence that I carried out on the property and the surrounding area all checked out ok, then yes.

Name a place that doesn't have social problems. I wouldn't be base any significant financial decision on people's perceptions, I'll stick to the facts and figures.

• Registered Users Posts: 467 ✭✭utmbuilder

belfast has serious investment potenial if prices do tank, belfast in 10 years will be a very different place

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

I'll stick to the facts and figures.
    That's true. Ensure you pick your side of the fence.

• Advertisement

That's true. Ensure you pick your side of the fence.

An investment doesn't need to pick a side of a fence. It simply needs to offer a good ROI.

Advertisement