Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Eating in the 50's in the UK....

Comments

• Site Banned Posts: 386 ✭✭Jimmy.

In the 50’s in Shligo they used eat sheep testicles along with watery cabbage.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,710 ✭✭✭✭Andy From Sligo

Jimmy. wrote: »

God, I haven't had that in years - I wonder if it still tastes nice? ....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

Those things always have that last sentence to let you know how much things were better back then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

They just told you there were from sheep.

people were a lot thinner in them days - no fat bastrds like they are these days (yours truly included) ...

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 386 ✭✭Jimmy.

Because there was no Macdonalds or chipper every second building. Parents are worse too to be feeding their children fast food.

Ipso wrote: »
    Those things always have that last sentence to let you know how much things were better back then.

who puts their elbows on tables anyway these days - don't think my kids ever did ..

Because there was no Macdonalds or chipper every second building. Parents are worse too to be feeding their children fast food.

well a lot of parents give their kids money ... which in turn they buy fast food and shyte with it ..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,820 ✭✭✭smelly sock

True this - Eating in the 50's - I am sure it was the same in Ireland too...

460892.jpg

Sounds fxcking miserable to be fair.

Life expetancies were shorter.

Curable and common illness killed a lot more often.

But hey we had carpenters from china and big raincoats. Great.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

who puts their elbows on tables anyway these days - don't think my kids ever did ..

I do. Next you'll be telling me holding the fork in my right hand is wrong as well.

• Advertisement

I do. Next you'll be telling me holding the fork in my right hand is wrong as well.

just had to look down at my hands then and think ... no, anyway your wrong - knife goes in right hand :) ... how can you eat properly with elbows on the table (unless your double jointed?)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

Considered bad manners or lazy and American in our household not sure which was supposed to be worse?

No one cares now though.

Coffe was that liquid Camp stuff - I think they still do it over here in Ireland but it was called irel or something like that. Liquid chicory it was ..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭Vincent Vega

Sounds pretty ****e.
    Hooray for cultural diversity :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,720 ✭✭✭Greyfox

knife goes in right hand :)

I don't know how any right handed person does this, it feels really weird.

The first fish fingers were made by Birds Eye in 1955 at its factory in Great Yarmouth, Norfolk and the official launch took place on 26 September that year.

https://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/food-and-drink/news/fish-fingers-celebrating-their-60th-birthday-how-a-simple-staple-stood-the-test-of-time-10498489.html

But hardly anyone had a fridge let alone a freezer so if you bought fish fingers you had to cook them that day.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,054 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

Cultural appropriation, and quite a slur on Cork cuisine.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,319 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Everyone had to leave their house to have a sh*te in a little shed too. Progress is good.

Coffe was that liquid Camp stuff - I think they still do it over here in Ireland but it was called irel or something like that. Liquid chicory it was ..

Irel, yes.In a glass bottle. We used it to make coffee cake, of course. Because who the hell had coffee.
    Same reason why we had cooking chocolate.

Greyfox wrote: »
    I don't know how any right handed person does this, it feels really weird.

if I am just eating with a fork only and no knife, then yeah I have the fork in my right hand...

• Advertisement

1980's Ireland was when we went eeeeew at the thought of garlic.
    None of us knew what it really was though. Just that it was bad.

Or just imitating the posh neighbours from the other park that had gone to Spain. Fancy them.

Everyone had to leave their house to have a sh*te in a little shed too. Progress is good.

at least if someone had a stinky poo the smell stayed outside ....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,891 ✭✭✭prinzeugen

my3cents wrote: »

The first fish fingers were made by Birds Eye in 1955 at its factory in Great Yarmouth, Norfolk and the official launch took place on 26 September that year.

https://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/food-and-drink/news/fish-fingers-celebrating-their-60th-birthday-how-a-simple-staple-stood-the-test-of-time-10498489.html

But hardly anyone had a fridge let alone a freezer so if you bought fish fingers you had to cook them that day.

There was a good programme on BBC2 a week or two ago about how they are made. Clever stuff. And it is 100% fillets not munched up stuff.

Even Gregg Wallace was amazed!

There was always that one family in the estate that had the multi channel first.
    But then we got soda stream too. And kiwi fruits. So feck them.

Milk was delivered to the door daily by the milkman.

I remember my mum buying the family a frozen Pizza in the UK from a store called Bejam for the first time (before iceland was about) and I remember her eating it and saying "Foreign muck!" LOL :D - we kids loved it though of course

my3cents wrote: »
    Milk was delivered to the door daily by the milkman.

and the foil on top pecked by the birds if you didnt get it off the doorstep quick enough ... and a block of ice would push the foil cap off on the bottle in the winter when it was frosty :)

I remember my mum buying the family a frozen Pizza in the UK from a store called Bejam for the first time (before iceland was about) and I remember her eating it and saying "Foreign muck!" LOL :D - we kids loved it though of course

I always thought that pizza was the frozen discs you got from Dunnes in the mid 80s with the little sachets of dried herbs.

igCorcaigh wrote: »
    I always thought that pizza was the frozen discs you got from Dunnes in the mid 80s with the little sachets of dried herbs.

My first freshly made pizza was a revelation, but I still miss the taste of the Dunnes ones though, odd!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,891 ✭✭✭prinzeugen

Frozen pizza back in the 80s & 90s were a million times better than now. Dont know why.

Had the bird issue with milk also. Was the "juice man" a thing in Ireland? We used to have a truck drop off soft/diluted drinks weekly.

You would leave the empty glass bottles out and a note just like you would for the milkman.

Advertisement