Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

120GB SSD £22.99 on 7dayshop

• 22-07-2018 4:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,782 ✭✭✭bromley52

As seen on hukd

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,409 ✭✭✭jamesd

bromley52 wrote: »
    As seen on hukd

Ordered 2, thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,589 ✭✭✭corks finest

As seen on hukd
    Good find

• bromley52 wrote: »
    As seen on hukd

Thanks got 2 myself

• Registered Users Posts: 14,424 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

They will be giving these away free in cereal boxes soon.
    Saying that ,these are the prices we should have had for the last 12 months but for the price fixing rampant in the SSD manufacturing industry.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Saying that ,these are the prices we should have had for the last 12 months but for the price fixing rampant in the SSD manufacturing industry.

Big SSD ****ing us over yet again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,391 ✭✭✭micks_address

Big SSD ****ing us over yet again.
    Is this fast enough to use as a boot drive in PC?
    Thanks,
    Mick

• Registered Users Posts: 6,766 ✭✭✭RossieMan

Price fixing? You mean the nand shortage right?

• RossieMan wrote: »
    There's an ongoing price fixing investigation in China.

Price fixing is almost the default behaviour in these type of industries. Most of the big players in the electronics industry have been caught price-fixing at least once. RAM, optical drives, CRT tubes, flat screens, capacitors, you name it. Hitachi, LG, Panasonic, Sanyo, Samsung SDI etc...all these big well-known companies. The fines are so small that it's worth the risk.

In one case - I think the optical drives - the investigation found that conspirators were meeting in cinemas, huddling together in the back row to discuss prices :pac:. Like that Matt Damon movie. This was just a few years ago and involved huge, huge companies !

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Is this fast enough to use as a boot drive in PC?
    Thanks,
    Mick

Yes. It'll be great. Not the fastest SSD out there but compared to a mechanical drive it would be a huge leap. I should probably just buy one really...

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭davemie

Would this be a better drive for two pound more?

Kingston Technology SA400S37/120G SSD A400 120 GB Solid State Drive (2.5 Inch SATA 3)

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01N6JQS8C/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_fRAvBbQMT0S00

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

davemie wrote: »

Kingston Technology SA400S37/120G SSD A400 120 GB Solid State Drive (2.5 Inch SATA 3)

They are both almost identical in terms of spec. No noticeable difference between the two I'd say. Although I'd probably prefer the Kingston brand.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,424 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

RossieMan wrote: »

You think that the Nand shortage really lasted over 12 months ?
    It was the initial reason for the increases but there was rampant price fixing after a few months.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,541 ✭✭✭duridian

Based on the specifications from Kingston’s manufacturers website versus what I see on independent reviews saying the Adata can do the claimed 450MB/s write, I think the Adata is better in writing speeds.
    I don’t think there is a much difference between write speed of higher capacity ~960GB version of the Kingston and this Adata, but for some reason the low capacity Kingston models, especially the 120GB, are a good bit slower according to their official spec sheet.
    Adata 120GB with 450MB/s write versus Kingston 120GB with 320MB/s write.

So I guess the short answer as far as I can see is no, it isn’t better.

EDIT some links
    Kingston official info. Click specifications to see the claimed read and write speeds of the A400.
    https://www.kingston.com/en/ssd/consumer/sa400s37

Adata official info for SU 650.
    http://www.adata.com/rs/specification/503

Bangla review with English subs shows benchmarks of this Adata drive. Jump to about 4m55s.

This one is of the 240GB version of Adata but nearly the same write speed.

This is the Kingston 120GB

• Registered Users Posts: 4,471 ✭✭✭longshotvalue

For the sake of €30 most people would be far better of with a 250 gig Crucial or Samsung.

128 is just about enough for a win 10 pc with any software, and ssds are better not full

• Registered Users Posts: 2,782 ✭✭✭bromley52

aidankkk wrote: »
    For the sake of €30 most people would be far better of with a 250 gig Crucial or Samsung.

128 is just about enough for a win 10 pc with any software, and ssds are better not full

Iv a 2009 laptop running win7 which my 8yo uses. It takes for ever to boot so I'm hoping a €26 SSD would improve things a little bit. If not then I would have broken the bank.

Iv a 2009 laptop running win7 which my 8yo uses. It takes for ever to boot so I'm hoping a €26 SSD would improve things a little bit. If not then I would have broken the bank.

It will transform the laptop. But a fresh install of Windows 7 would probably do it a lot of favours too. For this money I'd say the 120GB SSD is worth it.

Hell I have a Windows 10 desktop running on a 64GB SSD. Works a charm, never have any issues with it. 120GB would be easy to live with tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,782 ✭✭✭bromley52

Mine was delivered this morning and I only ordered it on Sunday.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,525 ✭✭✭Daniel S

Waiting for mine to put into my old Macbook Pro, hopefully will make it usable again!

• I got mine as well this morning, very quick delivery i must say. I just cloned my dell hard drive to one of these and replaced it in, jaysus the thing took off what a change in performance.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭scamalert

well for people that had laptops for long time and never used ssd in one its like adding 30-50% performance once you put ssd and fresh windows 7-10 install. Thou not a fan of brand but cant go wrong much with 20 quid. really amazed how they gotten so cheap as memory in general has almost doubled in price in last two years.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,770 ✭✭✭ mightyreds

Still waiting on mine ordered Sunday also

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭davemie

It's now out of stock on the website.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭alastair_doom

It's now out of stock on the website.

Amazon do have the following for ~£25:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01N6JQS8C

No idea how it compares

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

aidankkk wrote: »

True, it's perfect for a budget media center build though.

• With my install of windows 10 on one of these i have about 85gigs free space left.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,541 ✭✭✭duridian

Amazon do have the following for ~£25:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01N6JQS8C

No idea how it compares

The Kingston's much slower at writing than the Adata in the 120GB size. The 240GB is pretty slow as well, though not as much as 120GB model. The 480GB and 960GB version of the Kingston are fast like the Adata.

Read back a page or two, I posted some stuff about this speed difference earlier in the week.

I actually ordered one of the Adata 120GB SSDs from Amazon rather than 7 day shop because I was ordering a few other bits there anyway. Plan to use it to liven up an old Core2 Quad core desktop that I've had nearly 11 years!

Apart from those who got them on Wednesday, has anyone received them since?

• Registered Users Posts: 777 ✭✭✭editorsean

I decided to get this for my old workplace PC. It's a 10-year old HP workstation with a Core2Duo E8400, 4GB RAM and running Windows 10.

With the last hard disk upgrade to the PC (WD 640GB 7200RPM), I short-stroked the OS partition to 100GB to help improve performance at the time as my work, OneDrive, SharePoint, etc. are stored on a second hard disk. This also made it very straight forward to migrate to SSD as I didn't have to worry about shrinking the OS partition.

Before cloning the SSD, I timed how long it takes for the PC to boot and load the main applications I use in sequence - Outlook 2016, Firefox, Publisher 2016 and GIMP. As my nickname suggests, I do a lot of content editing at work, mainly editing images, webpages and publications. Restarting has always been a slow task, so I included a restart timing to having the Firefox browser open on the homepage.

HDD stopwatch timing (m:ss) from pushing the power button to:
    • Password: 0:36.5
    • Desktop: 0:42.4
    • Outlook: 2:39.0
    • Firefox: 3:00.1
    • Publisher 3:15.5
    • GIMP: 3:42.1

HDD stopwatch timing (m:ss) from Start->Power->Restart to:
    • Password: 1:43.3
    • Desktop: 1:58.5
    • Firefox: 3:21.8

I did a 1:1 clone in Linux Mint. While the SSD has a 450MB/s write speed, this only lasts for a few GB of sustained write and averaged about 50MB/s towards the end of the clone process:

IrqXTFG.jpg

I removed the Windows recovery partition as it was outside the disk boundary and Windows 10 usually creates a new one with the next feature update. I let it boot and reboot a few times to settle in and make sure everything seemed fine. I then shutdown and performed another set of stopwatch tests:

SSD stopwatch timing (m:ss) from pushing the power button to:
    • Password: 0:20.4
    • Desktop: 0:25.2
    • Outlook: 0:43.0
    • Firefox: 0:50.1
    • Publisher 0:59.6
    • GIMP: 1:17.7

SSD stopwatch timing (m:ss) from Start->Power->Restart to:
    • Password: 0:49.5
    • Desktop: 0:57.4
    • Firefox: 1:03.0

While not as fast as a modern PC with an SSD, it's well worth the upgrade and no more stuttering with multiple applications open. :cool:

Amazing to think you can restart the PC and open Firefox in less than a third of the time!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭Fuzzy Logic

Still waiting on mine

Advertisement