Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

So who's going to see the Pope?

• 25-06-2018 9:18am
    Registered Users Posts: 29,294 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

So free tickets became available this morning for the Popes visit to Knock and The Phoenix Park, with Knock already filling its allocation, he must really say a great Mass.

I'm going, didn't get Knock, but did get Phoenix Park. I'm not an overlly religious person, I pick and choose want I want to believe from the bible, I believe that this life we have is not the end. I dont go to Mass every week, I am the Christmas, Weddings, and Funerals kinda person, might only recieve once a year. I have my morals, and know what is right and wrong.

I have issue with some of the stuff has done in the past, the abuse and treatment of our children, the cover ups, even my home parishs invitation to Youth Defence, which nearly wanted to make me leave the Church mid Mass, but was sitting with my Gran, so would have not looked right, and me making up a lie to her.

But this even interests me, not sure if it is the event junkie, and to say that I was there, or as as the leader of my faith, and to say I was there, more leaning towards that one. I seen Pope John Paul on his English visit back in the early 80s, only remember him waving from his balcony, hopefully as an adult, even with my religious laspes, I hope to appreciate this visit more.

I would like to think those who attend, do repect that its a religious event, and dont protest. If you want to do that, which I do also respect your reasons and want, hopefully thats done during a none religious part of his trip.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭ Florence Harsh Iceberg

LOL

(That' a 'NO' btw)

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭kuntboy

LOL

(That' a 'NO' btw)

How disrespectful to those of the Catholic faith. Would you be so to those of other certain faiths, I wonder. You wouldn't dare. How cowardly.

Mods please ban this bigot.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,630 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Nope, not even if it was on across the road from me.

Not necessarily for 'atheist' reasons, just seems like a lot of waiting and queuing for my liking.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,060 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Mint Sauce wrote: »
    So free tickets became available this morning for the Popes visit to Knock and The Phoenix Park, with Knock already filling its allocation, he must really say a great Mass.

"Free" with a suggestion to make a donation to cover "expenses".

• Registered Users Posts: 6,481 ✭✭✭Fighting Tao

Oh my he Irish event junkies do love a big event regardless of what it is. FOMO!

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 32,846 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

I just hope there are no traffic restrictions anywhere I need to be that might affect me because of this. That's as close as I'll get to attending or watching any of these things.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,060 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Nope, not even if it was on across the road from me.

As Bill Shankly once said about Everton FC "If they were playing in my front garden i would close the curtains"

kuntboy wrote: »
    How disrespectful to those of the Catholic faith. Would you be so to those of other certain faiths, I wonder. You wouldn't dare. How cowardly.

LOL

(That means 'I don't give a sh*t for you or anyone's religious faith/s)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

If he was in my front garden I'd move house.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,448 ✭✭✭✭Cupcake_Crisis

If it was in my back garden I’d close the blinds. Think it’s a disgusting waste of money.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,697 ✭✭✭DickSwiveller

I'll be going. Looking forward to it. Also looking forward to the trendy atheists whinging incessantly about how much they don't care

• Registered Users Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭hawkelady

No , I don’t subscribe to some old man wearing a table cloth who’s company hands around a basket for the unwashed to put money in ! Twice.
    It’ll be interesting to see how many turn up to this farce

• Closed Accounts Posts: 318 ✭✭Mikenesson

I already seen him back in 78

• Closed Accounts Posts: 965 ✭✭✭verycool

Mikenesson wrote: »
    I already seen him back in 78

I wouldn't bother going again, I heard it's all the same material. Only playing the hits from the first two albums.

He might drop "The Tombs in Tuam" and "It's just my finger child". Heard they don't get a great response from the crowd.

• I'll be at Knock with most of my family. We're barely Catholics at all now (I'm completely Agnostic), but I don't accept this wave of hatred towards the C.Church. It's not for me. I have nothing but good experiences from my upbringing with them. I'd also have to cut away a rather large percentage of my family who are either priests or nuns.

I can certainly appreciate the people hurt by some priests as being justified, but there seems to be a rather general hatred going on by people who have never really experienced anything negative from the Church themselves. I'm not signing up to that negativity.

Ok for some reason Stephen Fry on God via Youtube isn't embedding for me.

But here's my feelings on a God, and covers my belief in all the something like 3,500 Gods out there.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-suvkwNYSQo&t=8s

• Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

hawkelady wrote: »
    No , I don’t subscribe to some old man wearing a table cloth who’s company hands around a basket for the unwashed to put money in ! Twice.
    It’ll be interesting to see how many turn up to this farce

It'll be packed. There's still plenty of old folk about. Another generation or so and the Pope will be needing to pay people to show up however. Shame I won't be around to see it though.

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭kuntboy

LOL

(That means 'I don't give a sh*t for you or anyone's religious faith/s)

How bigoted.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,494 ✭✭✭Beta Ray Bill

It's not the faith I (Or a great many others) have a problem with.
    It's the Catholic church as an organisation.

I won't be going... I plan to not be anywhere near Dublin for it as the crowds will be a killer.

MODS or OP.

Can we get a poll on this? Who's going, who's not

How bigoted.

Then forgive him?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 8,561 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rhyme

Went into the application process to see what the process was, the queues are like etc and ended up getting a ticket as there was fuck all queue (must not be many people signing up at this time of day). I doubt I'll go but sure anything can change between now and then.

For clarity, I'm an on-the-fence Catholic as I appreciate some of the teachings and a lot of what is at the 'core of the faith' but absolutely despise the church. Priests/nuns individually may be nice but what they represent should be burned to the ground.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,480 ✭✭✭wexie

grahambo wrote: »
    It's not the faith I (Or a great many others) have a problem with.
    It's the Catholic church as an organisation.

Isn't it odd how so many people can't seem to make that distinction?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,453 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shenshen

Will he pull the same size crowd as Garth Brooks, though?

• Subscribers Posts: 32,846 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

I'll be at Knock with most of my family. We're barely Catholics at all now (I'm completely Agnostic), but I don't accept this wave of hatred towards the C.Church. It's not for me. I have nothing but good experiences from my upbringing with them. I'd also have to cut away a rather large percentage of my family who are either priests or nuns.

I can certainly appreciate the people hurt by some priests as being justified, but there seems to be a rather general hatred going on by people who have never really experienced anything negative from the Church themselves. I'm not signing up to that negativity.

Sure the Nazis never harmed me personally either. I don't see what the big deal is.

Did I just Godwin the thread already? Godwin is an ironic name actually in this context.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 207 ✭✭Chaos Tourist

How many will turn up at the Phoenix Park -- possibly tens of thousands? Many know how mental it is to make a scramble for the car a few minutes before the end of mass down the country. It's going to be bedlam trying to get out of there.

Shenshen wrote: »
    Will he pull the same size crowd as Garth Brooks, though?

I mean, they both have friends in low places.

It'll be packed. There's still plenty of old folk about. Another generation or so and the Pope will be needing to pay people to show up however. Shame I won't be around to see it though.

Dunno.

I was chatting to a young lad in work recently who said he was going to Krakow, Poland.. Now I fvcking LOVE Krakow so got to telling him what a lovely place it is, the people are great, cheap beers, Auschwitz etc

Then he tells me he's been there before, with the Catholic Youth Council ~ I nearly lost my sh*t. I actually thought he was messing.

A few tours of duty to places where Muslims, Jews and Christians are slaughtering each other in equal measure and all in the name of their own particular God and he might learn.. (we're soldiers btw).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭ Chad Shrilling Rule

I’d rather go see Larry Murphy

• Registered Users Posts: 4,871 ✭✭✭paulbok

If you are getting upset over that comment, you may need to consider if the internet is for you.
    Definitely After Hours should be approached with caution.

• Advertisement

• 5starpool wrote: »
    Sure the Nazis never harmed me personally either. I don't see what the big deal is.

Did I just Godwin the thread already? Godwin is an ironic name actually in this context.

TBH it just shows your ignorance about both the Nazis and the Catholic Church.

Advertisement