Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Newbridge to Leeson St - bus or train?

Options
  • 09-01-2018 2:46am
    Registered Users Posts: 756 ✭✭✭

Hi

I will need to go from Newbridge to Leeson St Mon-Fri
    Working the usual office hours of 9-5

Is the Silver Dawn now run by JJ Kavanaghs bus service from Newbridge to UCD reasonably accurate in relation to the timetable?
    Would it tend to get stuck in traffic much ?

Looks like I have 3 main options by public transport

1. The private JJ Kavanagh bus from Newbridge to Leeson St
    This might be tricky to catch on the return journey

2. Train to Tara St then a walk or cycle

3. 126 Bus Eireann bus to Custom House and thena walk

Any opinions on which of these 3 would be the most sensible option.
    I'm assuming either 1 or 2 ?

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,108 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Where does the JJ Kavanagh bus drop you?

**edit
    Just checked the site. It would seem the obvious choice. Why do you think there would be a difficulty catching it back? A couple of days and the driver will know you and expect you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 Kfagan10

Train to Pearse or Grand Canal Dock and either walk or take DublinBikes the rest of the way.

• Registered Users Posts: 756 ✭✭✭Laneyh

spurious wrote: »
    Where does the JJ Kavanagh bus drop you?

**edit
    Just checked the site. It would seem the obvious choice. Why do you think there would be a difficulty catching it back? A couple of days and the driver will know you and expect you.

That's true. I suppose I meant more from the point of view that there is only one return option. Chances of someone nabbing you as you're heading out the door would be quite high.

I suppose I can try it out anyway.. just wondered if anyone is already making this journey

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭tubbs26

Trian to Heuston and 145 bus to leeson St is another option

• Registered Users Posts: 2,110 ✭✭✭Ben D Bus

I presume the bus options travel via the North Quays in the morning? The train would avoid that mess. Although in fairness the Quays were OK yesterday & this morning around 8am.

• Advertisement

Ben D Bus wrote: »
    I presume the bus options travel via the North Quays in the morning? The train would avoid that mess. Although in fairness the Quays were OK yesterday & this morning around 8am.

yeah I'm thinking the bus could sometimes get delayed in heavy traffic but I suppose the only thing to do is try it out and see what works best

• Registered Users Posts: 10,885 ✭✭✭✭Riskymove

I work around the Green and get Train to Pearse and walk up (10 mins)

beats bus - especially the quays

Leeson st would be 15-20 mins I'd guess

• Registered Users Posts: 743 ✭✭✭Roadtoad

Is a motor bike an option? Lots of 'suits' are hidden under scruffy bike gear, no need for tattoos and a beard. Save the brainless commute for snow, ice, deluges. In a year there are about 5 such days, and very predictable with weather forecasting the way it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭Vic_08

Laneyh wrote: »
    Hi

I will need to go from Newbridge to Leeson St Mon-Fri
    Working the usual office hours of 9-5

Is the Silver Dawn now run by JJ Kavanaghs bus service from Newbridge to UCD reasonably accurate in relation to the timetable?
    Would it tend to get stuck in traffic much ?

Looks like I have 3 main options by public transport

1. The private JJ Kavanagh bus from Newbridge to Leeson St
    This might be tricky to catch on the return journey

2. Train to Tara St then a walk or cycle

3. 126 Bus Eireann bus to Custom House and thena walk

Any opinions on which of these 3 would be the most sensible option.
    I'm assuming either 1 or 2 ?

Some of the Bus Eireann 126 services go to Stephen's Green, they are the ones listed as Merrion Row on the timetable. For you the 07.20 that doesn't serve Naas would be the best option. The 07.30 via Naas might also get you in on time.

For the return there is a 17.20 and 17.40 that start from Kildare St and pick-up at Earlsfort Terrace. These run via South Circular Road, Crumlin, Long Mile Road not the City Centre/Quays. These do go via Naas though.

There is a morning bus that goes the same way but it leaves Newbridge at 06.40 so probably too early for you unless you can start at 8.

The big advantage of the 126 over Kavanaghs is that if you are late or want to stay on you can go to the CC and get a later bus. The morning buses should be similar as they take the same route, in the evening Kavanaghs may be quicker depending on how long it takes throuth the city.

http://www.buseireann.ie/timetables/1425902350-126.pdf

For the train, the 07.19 direct to Pearse would give you plenty of time to walk up. Via Heuston.

The 07.29 and 07.40 fast trains are from Galway and Waterford so will be already busy at Newbridge and you may have issues getting a seat. The 07.35 starts in Newbridge but is slower. You would then need to get the Dublin Bus 145 to Leeson Street or Luas Red line to Abbey and walk or change to Green line to Stephen's Green.

For the return the 17.31 from Pearse is the best option, 18.05 from Heuston next best. 18.01 from Pearse requires changing at Hazelhatch.
    If you could get to Heuston for 17.30/17.32 you would be home quickly, realistically bike would be the only way you could even consider making that though.

http://www.irishrail.ie/media/16_dublin-portlaoise_valind_from_20112016.pdf

Really the best thing to do is to try out all the possibilities and see which suits you best, then you can look at the options for saving money on tickets such as Taxsaver. Unfortunately due to our fragmented transport system you will need to commit to one option to get the best value fares.

Vic_08 wrote: »
    Some of the Bus Eireann 126 services go to Stephen's Green, they are the ones listed as Merrion Row on the timetable. For you the 07.20 that doesn't serve Naas would be the best option. The 07.30 via Naas might also get you in on time.

For the return there is a 17.20 and 17.40 that start from Kildare St and pick-up at Earlsfort Terrace. These run via South Circular Road, Crumlin, Long Mile Road not the City Centre/Quays. These do go via Naas though.

There is a morning bus that goes the same way but it leaves Newbridge at 06.40 so probably too early for you unless you can start at 8.

The big advantage of the 126 over Kavanaghs is that if you are late or want to stay on you can go to the CC and get a later bus. The morning buses should be similar as they take the same route, in the evening Kavanaghs may be quicker depending on how long it takes throuth the city.

http://www.buseireann.ie/timetables/1425902350-126.pdf

For the train, the 07.19 direct to Pearse would give you plenty of time to walk up. Via Heuston.

The 07.29 and 07.40 fast trains are from Galway and Waterford so will be already busy at Newbridge and you may have issues getting a seat. The 07.35 starts in Newbridge but is slower. You would then need to get the Dublin Bus 145 to Leeson Street or Luas Red line to Abbey and walk or change to Green line to Stephen's Green.

For the return the 17.31 from Pearse is the best option, 18.05 from Heuston next best. 18.01 from Pearse requires changing at Hazelhatch.
    If you could get to Heuston for 17.30/17.32 you would be home quickly, realistically bike would be the only way you could even consider making that though.

http://www.irishrail.ie/media/16_dublin-portlaoise_valind_from_20112016.pdf

Really the best thing to do is to try out all the possibilities and see which suits you best, then you can look at the options for saving money on tickets such as Taxsaver. Unfortunately due to our fragmented transport system you will need to commit to one option to get the best value fares.

Thanks for your comprehensive reply.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,913 ✭✭✭GavMan

Trains will be a lot more consistent. Traffic hasn't been too bad with the M7 roadworks but has the potential to be really bad and if there is a crash or breakdown, goodnight Irene because there is no hard shoulder in long stretches

Advertisement