Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

TV's with MPEG4 DTT decoder

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

good for 4:3 content and PC though.
    esp. if it 1920 x1200 instead of 1920 x1080 (review confirms it is PC Widescreen 1920 x1200)

2 x 576 lines = 1152, not 1080.
    1920x 1200 will run 1600x1200, 960 x 600 or 800x 600 games very nice.

16:10 = 1.6:1 format Dr Strangelove will be good if you can find an 1.66 version! :)

Most decent films are wider than 16:9 (1.78:1), varying from 1.85:1 to 2.7:1. A few are black bars at side 1.66:1 apart from Classics in Academy format (almost anything before 1951) which is close to 4:3 = 1.33:1 and usually cropped to 1.33 from the native 1.375:1(only Silent Era was actually 1.33:1 and Electronic TV started as 5:4 = 1.25:1 and switched in 1949 or 1950 I think...)
    All studio films shot in 35mm from 1932 to 1952 were shot in the Academy ratio. However, following the widescreen "revolution" of 1953, it quickly became an obsolete production format. Within several months, all major studios started matting their non-anamorphic films in the projector to wider ratios such as 1.66, 1.75, and 1.85, the latter of which is still considered a standard ratio along with anamorphic (2.35). 1.37:1 is not totally obsolete, nonetheless, and can still be found in selected recent films such as Gus Van Sant's Elephant.

Get used to black bars for Classic content and OAR films.

However, for any normal sized room I'd regard 37" as minimum WideScreen size (28" WS is like 21" or less 4:3 set). For HD you want bigger.

It's a very intimate study that would want 28" for WS or esp. WS HD.

I'd be happier with that as a console or PC monitor that's for occasional TV in a Den/Study/Workshop/Kitchen.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 lor2ie

http://www.vmaxx.ie/index.php/default/catalog/product/view/id/10573/s/q-media-q15a2d-lcd-dvd-combo/category/530/

hi, I was wondering if anyone knows if this has mpeg 4 to view the digital rte stations. Yes i have Google it but no help... all it says on the website is..(The Q15A2D Q-Media combines a 16:9, 1366x768-pixel television with an MPEG4-compatible DVD player, making it ideal for smaller rooms.)

I recently purchased a lcd television (TOSHIBA 32AV733F LCD Television)from same site and it works perfect on the DTT channels. I have tried contacting the website to ask but all i get is "if you have a look at the TV in question later today it will give you all the specs." I did but see nothing new, as confused as ever.. As to argos, they don't seem to have a clue...

• Registered Users Posts: 15,476 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

lor2ie wrote: »
    http://www.vmaxx.ie/index.php/default/catalog/product/view/id/10573/s/q-media-q15a2d-lcd-dvd-combo/category/530/

hi, I was wondering if anyone knows if this has mpeg 4 to view the digital rte stations. Yes i have Google it but no help... all it says on the website is..(The Q15A2D Q-Media combines a 16:9, 1366x768-pixel television with an MPEG4-compatible DVD player, making it ideal for smaller rooms.)

Not MPEG-4. From the specs "MPEG2 tuner"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭STB

Thanks again STB. Email sent to Panasonic, hope it gets some results. As you've said, all recent Panasonic customers who don't have MHEG5 middleware set up should pester these guys. Just wondering, is it just D25 models or all Panasonics sold in Ireland that don't have MHEG5? Although my understanding from other posters is that a lot of them have the UK option in set up. I figure why they don't have MHEG5 on the D25L is down to freesat availability outside the UK & the inbuilt DVB-S tuner on the D25. (Am I making sense here?)

Any response ?

• Registered Users Posts: 27 lor2ie

ah. thanks "The crush" so just look for the tuner specs the fact that it has MPEG4-compatible DVD player won,t work. Wonder what that is used for then!! Right got small lcd telly to return to argos....they really should get someone in there that knows all this stuff... thanks again.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭STB

lor2ie wrote: »
    ah. thanks "The crush" so just look for the tuner specs the fact that it has MPEG4-compatible DVD player won,t work. Wonder what that is used for then!! Right got small lcd telly to return to argos....they really should get someone in there that knows all this stuff... thanks again.

MPEG4 in this case refers to the DVD player and it ability to play Divx files from Disc. Its a common mistake. The part level is important. This will not MPEG4 decode broadcast streams.

When you see MPEG4 in the tuner it is MPEG4 H264 or MPEG4/AVC.

• Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭Machinehead

@ STB.
    No response yet. Their last reply took a couple of weeks "due to technical problems". Their website & the manual, which they reiterate, says that the TV was only compatible with operational services in specific countries as of 01/01/2010, Ireland is not included & I don't think anything I say or do will alter their position on the fact that the TV is not guarenteed to work on any other systems. I guess that I will just have to hold out for an upgrade that I hope will activate MHEG5 functionality.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

Ended up returning the Ex503, had a noticeable delay for gaming.
    Anyone know if the ex401 would get Irish digital?
    Theres no freeview hd.
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Sony-KDL40EX401U-40-inch-Widescreen-Freeview/dp/B003BVI4BW/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1287352527&sr=8-1

• Pangea wrote: »
    Ended up returning the Ex503, had a noticeable delay for gaming.
    Anyone know if the ex401 would get Irish digital?
    Theres no freeview hd.
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Sony-KDL40EX401U-40-inch-Widescreen-Freeview/dp/B003BVI4BW/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1287352527&sr=8-1
    Can't find it on the sony site but a number of the reviews include the spec sheet stating an mpeg 4 tuner so yes it would work if thats the case but get the manual in the shop and see the spec sheet hard copy

Heres the dabs spec sheet for it

http://www.dabs.com/products/sony-kdl40ex401u-40--lcd-tv-70J5.html

Click on the specs tab at the bottom left.

Pangea wrote: »

Yes, Sony specs - http://www.sony.co.uk/product/t32-ex-series/kdl-40ex401#pageType=TechnicalSpecs

Some non DVB-T2 TVs listed on the Sony UK site now have the following in the specs (including the one above) High Definition TV Tuner (MPEG-4) - H.264 (with supported operators) - YES

• Advertisement

Thanks for that guys, thats good then , might go for the 401 then , the 403 looks good for gaming too but I think that the currys deal has expired by now.

Just found the 403 on argos for the same price as Gwen Zealous Teammate got it for in Currys a few weeks ago.
    Doubt you will get it cheaper anywhere else at the moment.

http://www.argos.ie/static/Product/partNumber/5368981/c_1/1|category_root|Home+entertainment+and+sat+nav|14419512/c_2/2|cat_14419512|Televisions|14419667.htm

Im not very tempted at the thought of buying a tv in argos though, think I would prefer a tv shop. Maybe I am being old fashioned.

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭rsmike

Just found the 403 on argos for the same price as Gwen Zealous Teammate got it for in Currys a few weeks ago.
    Doubt you will get it cheaper anywhere else at the moment.

http://www.argos.ie/static/Product/partNumber/5368981/c_1/1|category_root|Home+entertainment+and+sat+nav|14419512/c_2/2|cat_14419512|Televisions|14419667.htm

Im not very tempted at the thought of buying a tv in argos though, think I would prefer a tv shop. Maybe I am being old fashioned.

I have that feeling also, but the Argos price 599.99 looks really good, I just had a look in Curry's at the weekend and the 403 (40") was €749.99, I mean Argos have the 401(U?) at 829.99, makes me wonder if the 403 price is a mistake?

BTW, Curry's (Mahon Point, Cork) told me they can't get the 503

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Volcane

The 503 seems to have come into stock in lots of places during the past few days. Amazon had them at £555 (sterling) for a short time yesterday evening with a 3 year Sony warranty, they are now back to 600 but are out of stock for a while.

I bought this evening from John Lewis, got the Sony KDL 40ex503u with the Sony 307 Blu-ray for £663 delivered, 5 year warranty on the TV and 2 on the Blu-ray. (a benefit of a Northern address!)

A panasonic plasma may have been better but couldn't get enough info on the tuner specs, Panasonic seem to be doing nothing until saorview is launched. I'm hoping that the Sony will be able to take a update if required.

rsmike wrote: »
    I have that feeling also, but the Argos price 599.99 looks really good, I just had a look in Curry's at the weekend and the 403 (40") was €749.99, I mean Argos have the 401(U?) at 829.99, makes me wonder if the 403 price is a mistake?

Thanks for that,
    The 503 is over priced ,trust me , I just returned it.
    Argos may be the way to go, Yes the prices dont make sense , but they are not a tv company so hopefully its not a mistake.
    Argos comes with one year warranty right?
    If something goes wrong where do you go to , That why I would prefer a tv shop.
    If anyone has prices on the 40EX403 from their local store , please drop it here.
    I think companies are putting up the price of tvs now for christmas.

Good news the 401 is now down to 589 and 403 is down to 591

http://www.argos.ie/static/Product/partNumber/5296383.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 704 ✭✭✭20/20

May i ask a silly question,what is the difference between the 401 and 403 that can justify that huge price hike,two euro?

lol, well in the electrical shops the price is a lot more different, i found the 403 was 200 euro dearer than the 401 in one sony centre.

The main differences are, (I am taking this from a thread somewhere on avforums )

-BRAVIA ENGINE 3 instead of BRAVIE ENGINE 2 for the EX401
    -Wifi ready capability with a USB stick
    -Bravia Internet Video
    -DLNA
    -Freeview HD vs simple freeview
    -cosmetic differencies

I am not too sure if there is much actual real difference in terms of picture quality etc.
    Also as a gamer I might just go with the 401, it has bravia engine 2 , which is a bit better with game lag than engine 3.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,340 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

20/20 wrote: »
    May i ask a silly question,what is the difference between the 401 and 403 that can justify that huge price hike,two euro?

Simple 403 - 401 = 2

Volcane wrote: »
    . Amazon had them at £555 (sterling) for a short time yesterday evening with a 3 year Sony warranty, they are now back to 600 but are out of stock for a while.
    We cant purchase tvs on amazon from the Republic im afraid.

• Advertisement

Hi Pangea, Thanks for the update on Argos prices, that is a significant drop, hopefully puts some downward pressure on everyone else's prices also.

For various reasons I am holding off until mid November before purchasing, so if you do go for the 401 (or 403) in the meantime, interested to hear how you think its picture quality is versus the 503 you returned.

I guess the main difference between 403 and 503 is 50Hz versus 100Hz, some say the benefits of 100Hz are over-rated, though I have been sucked into believing it may be a better feature to pay some extra dosh on, rather than on LED backlighting?

Was your disappointment with the 503 only because of the slow response time for gaming, or were there other aspects also?

Rsmike ,The EX503 is a pretty sublime tv in my opinion ,just not for gaming.
    Picture was great on it.
    However a lot of people have issues with Banding on the their ex503.
    I noticed a bit of vertical banding on my set, nothing major but if you dont know what banding is then dont go looking for it, its a bit like when someone tells you a tap is dripping ,but you didnt notice it dripping before but now that you noticed it is it just keeps annoying you soo much that you have to get a new tap. lol
    On the HZ matter , HZ is only really important for people that watch sports , for gaming and movies HZ is recommened to be switched OFF anyways , so in my opinion unless you really want to spend your cash, just go for a 50hz.

100 hz reduces blur on a football for instance in a match. But is not worth an extra 200 euro in my opinion , plus the more hz there is generally more lag for gaming too.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

It might increase blur!

On the HZ matter , HZ is only really important for people that watch sports , for gaming and movies HZ is recommened to be switched OFF anyways , so in my opinion unless you really want to spend your cash, just go for a 50hz.

100 hz reduces blur on a football for instance in a match. But is not worth an extra 200 euro in my opinion , plus the more hz there is generally more lag for gaming too.

OK, thanks for that, my main TV viewing is movies, so maybe 50 Hz is even recommended.
    PS: I was into x-box games at one point but found it sucked up so much time, I discontinued it in favor of real world activities, :D

OK, thanks for that, my main TV viewing is movies, so maybe 50 Hz is even recommended.
    PS: I was into x-box games at one point but found it sucked up so much time, I discontinued it in favor of real world activities, :D
    Youre right it does suck up a lot of time, but its great though :D

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭pigeon1916

Good news the 401 is now down to 589 and 403 is down to 591

http://www.argos.ie/static/Product/partNumber/5296383.htm

I bought the 403 today in Power City. I got it off them just below the Argos price.
    Very happy :D with the purchase. Picked up all the Irish DTT channels with no problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭EdmondShiels3

pigeon1916

What is the EPG like on the 403, does it give full listings and does it give seven days of listings. Digital text does that work as well. I am thinking of buying one and want to know how well it pick up the new Irish dtt. are you receiving any of the hd test.

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭pigeon1916

pigeon1916

What is the EPG like on the 403, does it give full listings and does it give seven days of listings. Digital text does that work as well. I am thinking of buying one and want to know how well it pick up the new Irish dtt. are you receiving any of the hd test.

Yes, It gives you the 7 day EPG.
    Digital Text works well.
    Yes, The RTE HD Test is now showing some views of Dublin with music.
    The remote has a handy button that brings up the instruction manual.

The TV seems to have a lot more extras that I am still getting used to.

• Registered Users Posts: 548 ✭✭✭p.oconnor

hi lads we are thinking of buying a television for christmas i have found a 32in in power city just wondering what yer views on it are and weather it would definatly pick up saorview

thanks for any replys

http://www.powercity.ie/?par=10-12-WP3211

• Advertisement

p.oconnor wrote: »
    hi lads we are thinking of buying a television for christmas i have found a 32in in power city just wondering what yer views on it are and weather it would definatly pick up saorview

thanks for any replys

http://www.powercity.ie/?par=10-12-WP3211

It's the only manufacturer whose products are currently licensed to carry the Saorview (100% Irish DTT compliant) logo.

It will definitely work with Saorview DTT. It's the first product I've seen on sale to carry the logo.

eon44.png

Advertisement