Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Guess what Mad_Lad got this time?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭oodles19

DrPhilG wrote: »
    Has she had a test drive? The i3 seats are a bit of a debate, some say they're horrendously uncomfortable while I quite like them.

Yes, she had a test drive, she loved the car, driving position, driver visibility etc!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,278 ✭✭✭mordeith

Regarding the seats I sometimes find the lower back part (toward the outside) a bit too noticeable at times but overall I like them.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,153 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

I'm sure there's a graph somewhere, but just how much does the ambient temperature affect charge speed?

Up here in the North West we have had a shocking CCS shortage for years. The rapid in Letterkenny has just been upgraded to a triple standard charger but it seems very slow!

In the first 30 minutes I've added 14.5kwh. The display on the back of the charger shows a charge rate of 34.3kw.

Its 2.5 degrees, and I had a "spirited" 25 mile drive before plugging in at 6%.

Edit - I left after 40 minutes. 21.6kw added, and when I unplugged the charger was reading 50.3kw output.

DrPhilG wrote: »
    I'm sure there's a graph somewhere, but just how much does the ambient temperature affect charge speed?

Up here in the North West we have had a shocking CCS shortage for years. The rapid in Letterkenny has just been upgraded to a triple standard charger but it seems very slow!

In the first 30 minutes I've added 14.5kwh. The display on the back of the charger shows a charge rate of 34.3kw.

Its 2.5 degrees, and I had a "spirited" 25 mile drive before plugging in at 6%.

Edit - I left after 40 minutes. 21.6kw added, and when I unplugged the charger was reading 50.3kw output.

Yes that sounds correct, a cold battery will charge slower s it's internal resistance increases slowing down the chemical reaction, sounds like the battery temp was 10-12 Deg C which is normal for any EV.

The battery heater will only come on when plugged in, pre heat selected and an depart timer set at least 4 hrs before departure, it will heat only to 10 Deg C which is really only to provide max regen and acceleration.

My i3 was charged for a few hrs last night and today was sitting all day so by the time I was heading to work tonight I noticed acceleration was sluggish and the power meter did not go all the way to the top.

In the Leaf 24 Kwh I noticed as little as 20-22 Kw regen when the battery was very cold.

The whole thing about battery heating on the i3 is that the i3 always wants to charge to 100% and if plugged in , charged and battery pre-heated to 10 Deg C BMW engineers probably thought that by the time the car needs a fast charge it will be plenty warm, and they are correct, by the time you need a charge it should be close to optimum for max fast charge current, about 20 Deg C.

You can easily check the battery temp , it's super easy, google "BMW i3 hidden menu" and you can easily see battery temp and battery capacity health in Kwh.

All electric cars suffer slower charging speeds with a cold battery.

Charging at higher rates on AC might help to keep it warmer and 11 Kw AC particularly so.

When we went to Galway in December, after staying the night charging speed was about the same 35 Kw and at about 50-55% I unplugged and by the time I got to the next one after charging and driving it was plenty warm.

Highest reading I saw from the charger with the i3 was around 58 Kw.

Again, the Rex saves the day, if your battery is very cold and charging slower you can simply fire up the rex and give it a good trashing which helps to keep it in shape instead of sitting idle for long periods. And after a good drive the battery should be warm enough.

If your battery temp is 8 Deg C it might warm 8 Degrees after 70 odd kms, the faster you go the warmer it will get but the faster you go the more energy you use lol.

Who says the i3 is small ? :D

This is a pretty big lawnmower.

jYZePNF.jpg?1

fA6kDIj.jpg?1

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭Sherfin

Awaits Rex jokes

• Registered Users Posts: 64,548 ✭✭✭✭unkel

Is that what the genny looks like? :eek: :p

Yeah told ye it doesn’t drive the wheels ! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,825 ✭✭✭Patser

Which are narrower, tyres on i3 or the mower ?

I3 :D

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,165 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

I spent the day playing Tetris. Otherwise known as fitting all my crap and work gear into the boot!

I got the 120 Ah i3 BEV while my own i3 is in for service (quoted 400 euros ) lol

Anyway, it feels different , it feels as if BMW numbed it down , the steering feels less engaging and the suspension feels different. I wonder did they try make it feel more normal because the S is available now ?

I didn't really notice any power difference to be honest.

The motor is more audible.

I love the apple car play integration because the BMW connected no longer works with Spotify or Tune In and I'd say it's more down to Spotify and Tune in. That really p1ssed me off !

I'm really disappointed they didn't have the "S" registered !

I'll probably take it to some back roads in the morning on the way to work and I'll get a much better feel for it, if there's much of a difference I'll probably notice it more when I get mine back, anyway, I've only driven it about 8 -10 Kms.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,295 ✭✭✭n97 mini

400 sounds a lot.

I got the Ampera serviced in Charles Hurst (to keep the warranty). £250, which I felt was also very expensive. It bugged me that while they looked at a lot, they did less work than the €180 service the Civic IMA got. Granted that was years ago but the price of parts hasn't really changed.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,165 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

I noticed the service on my i3 BEV was 260 Sterling for the original owner.
    I wonder how much the BEV is to service over here.

I'll get a break down of the cost but the secretary said the oil was expensive , I didn't ask the price.

Oil filter can't be much and brake fluid has to be done then labour + main BMW dealer. I wasn't expecting it to be cheaper to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,153 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

Mine came with a service pack and isn't due until October 2020. I'll be close to changing by that stage.

I left work with 93% charge and got to work return trip with 31% after 140 Kms which would have been 38% after 100% charge and the GOM said 98 Km in Eco Pro and 76 Km in Comfort but I would estimate 220 Kms not too hard to achieve and maybe 240-250 in Summer and possibly if I could manage 230 Kms in the 33 Kwh could get maybe 280 Kms same conditions in the 44 Kwh.

In the pics below, notice below the Apple car play and Spotify , tune in as you'd expect, what surprised me was having Mixcloud and Qmusic which is the App for my Nas at home that was pretty cool I have to say.

OH, the headlights, Holy Crap ! the high beams are the brightest I've ever seen, they are absolutely amazing !!!

Battery capacity 39.2 Kwh available.

Speeds heading home last night were 100 KM/h N7 to roadworks the 60-80 to M7/M9 Split and 110 Km/h to the Carlow/Castledermot turn off on M9.

Back up this morning, 110 Km/h to M9 Kilcullen turn off, back roads to N7 at Athgoe turn which I rejoined the N7 then the usual 60-80-100-60 etc to Kingswood turn off and 4 km to work.

DvvxHTc.jpg?1

evlav9c.jpg?1

Remember I set off with 93% charge not 100%.

n40A77F.jpg?1

lpY3XQw.jpg?1

I missed the keyless entry, and I only realise how bloody convenient it is when I haven't got it !!!

The car felt different alright, the steering didn't feel as sharp at all and a bit more artificial but still great to throw into bends.

I guess my i3 has more over steer and this i3 more "normal" probably more normal to account for the Sport i3 and let that be the more fun car, again I'll know when I get back into mine.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭Kramer

I guess my i3 has more over steer and this i3 more "normal"

Gees Abram Unkempt Risk, do you drift your i3 through roundabouts? Kick her rear out sideways? Are you "diffing" in the small hours of the morning, laying down skinny black rubber donuts, welded diff/boy racer style?

:D

Kramer wrote: »
    Gees Abram Unkempt Risk, do you drift your i3 through roundabouts? Kick her rear out sideways? Are you "diffing" in the small hours of the morning, laying down skinny black rubber donuts, welded diff/boy racer style?

Sometimes I like to have some fun particularly in the wet and RWD is fun , off road of course ! ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,224 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

EV diffing. Responsible and fun.

Oh yeah , remember I said you hear the motor more in the 120 Ah , it's not the motor it's some God Damn pedestrian warning fake noise and you have to go into the menu to turn it off every time, that's the first think I would have in the i3 !

Since I had the Prius for 4 years, the Leaf for 3 years and the i3 for almost 1.5 years I have never, ever had an incident where I could say that fake noise makers in electric cars was justified.

I've never had a blind person walk out under me, no one ever landed on my windscreen, EV's are dangerous due to their silence is a pure and utter myth.

Yes you as a driver have to be more aware even with fake noise makers because people will walk without looking because they don't hear but it's their responsibility to hear.

Having said that when I was driving horribly noisy VW group diesels people still walk out under you so whether you have EV or not people do dumb things and with the amount of people with earphones in their ears and texting while walking even having a horn can sometimes make no difference as they crank up the volume to get rid of the traffic noise.

ELM327 wrote: »
    EV diffing. Responsible and fun.

Yes when you turn off traction it's a good laugh when you let it loose, responsibly of course and again on private ground. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭Kramer

Maybe the i3s I had, with the wider profile tyres, had more grip. It was summer so roads were dry etc. but I never managed to get her sideways.

Thing was like a go cart, gripped like crazy & shot out of roundabouts like a scalded cat.
    Very stiffly sprung though & with the low profile tyres, handling was too prioritised over comfort IMO. It was very uncomfortable much of the time, far too harsh a ride & even on certain motorways.

But it was great craic, addictive & enjoyable to drive, some of the time. Just not a car many could live with, day to day.

Drove the regular fossil ReX PHEV hybrid, self charging pram wheeled one straight after, far more sedate.

Maybe the i3s I had, with the wider profile tyres, had more grip. It was summer so roads were dry etc. but I never managed to get her sideways.

Thing was like a go cart, gripped like crazy & shot out of roundabouts like a scalded cat.
    Very stiffly sprung though & with the low profile tyres, handling was too prioritised over comfort IMO. It was very uncomfortable much of the time, far too harsh a ride & even on certain motorways.

But it was great craic, addictive & enjoyable to drive, some of the time. Just not a car many could live with, day to day.

Drove the regular fossil ReX PHEV hybrid, self charging pram wheeled one straight after, far more sedate.

No in the Dry it's very difficult to get it to misbehave unless you really really trash it.

The wet is a different story , it's easier to have fun but you still need to trash it but not as much and the skinnier tyres probably help. It still has tonnes more grip for acceleration than an ioniq or especially the 40 Kwh Leaf.

I would like to try the S, I wouldn't like it if it was very uncomfortable.

It would be nice if there was adjustable suspension. :D

Still the i3 is a good fun car decent cushy ride and decent handling to have a lot of fun as it is.

Eco Pro + showing 350 Km after full charge

3Lf79qr.jpg?1

Eco Pro 309 Kms

T8AeTA3.jpg?1

Comfort 250 Kms

IgCSAjK.jpg?1

When I got home 72.5 Kms driven , 71% battery left showing 185 kms left in eco pro. which might indicate 250 kms but not at 120 Km/h

Speeds 100 Km/h N7 to M7 roadworks, 110 Km/h M7/M9 split to few Kms before Carlow Town.

xEIqNYw.jpg?1

• Registered Users Posts: 898 ✭✭✭Tazium

I’m in too. Collected my i3s on 5th March before going home for a week without it �� first decent drive today and first time to plug it in.

Couple of additional coding options on the way.

475456.jpeg

475457.jpeg

475458.jpeg

Nice one, well wear, welcome to the i3 Club. I'd say the S goes like stink ? and handles like it's on rails better than the standard version.

I'd be interested what you think of the suspension on Irish roads ?

What year is it, battery ?

• Registered Users Posts: 898 ✭✭✭Tazium

Unlikely to ever have it at home Abram Unkempt Risk, it's a company car, brand new. I know feck all about the battery which is probably the best result for EVs. - just get in and go! It's 42.2kWh, 135kW according to the order dockets. I've posted previously about which car to go for and the personal taxation on BEV's is just 4% rather than 20-25% for ICE this really helped the decision. Still have a lego-car feeling about it, expect that won't last though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Oh my god these are really growing on me.

At 1st I was like God they're awful looking yokes but I see one now and have a really wanting for one.

I really wish I had the money as I've moved and doing at least 180km a day and getting 54mpg in a 1.5 diesel.

Just bought a house so no hope of a loan to go with it but it's something I will have to be seriously considering at some point in the future as costs will be high running and ice.

Advertisement