Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Bus Crash

• 10-01-2019 12:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

Hi,

I was involved in a crash while on a Dublin Bus when it was hit by a Bus Eireann bus a number of months ago. I notified Dublin Bus about this but they didn't seem to want to talk to me about it.

No i am starting to experience pain in my back and neck associated with whiplash.

Any idea how long i have to process an injury claim?

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,714 ✭✭✭Xterminator

Hi Op

A person has two years less one day from the date of knowledge to bring a claim forward under Statute of Limitations Act 1957.

If you wish to bring a claim against them, get your solicitor to bring the claim.

However you would have to substantiate these claims of injury, and typical whiplash does not appear months after accident. Perhaps it would be wise to have a diagnosis from a doctor before proceeding ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 514 ✭✭✭thomasdylan

Hi,

I was involved in a crash while on a Dublin Bus when it was hit by a Bus Eireann bus a number of months ago. I notified Dublin Bus about this but they didn't seem to want to talk to me about it.

No i am starting to experience pain in my back and neck associated with whiplash.

Thanks!

A crash months ago and pain only developing now wouldn't be typical for whiplash at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 436 ✭✭incentsitive

Whiplash, the injury invented by the legal profession.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 47,975 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

did you post that in an attempt to justify your claim? if so, you may need to read it again.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,276 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

Long Term Affects

The symptoms of whiplash can last for days, weeks, months, or even years, depending on how severe the injury is to the soft tissue in your neck or upper back. Whiplash injuries that last for months or years usually follow a more serious accident, where the pain would have been more severe with difficulty moving the head and neck. Full symptoms may only appear a few days after the impact, with an injury being felt 12 hours following the accident. This is why it’s always important to get yourself checked up immediately after an accident, as sometimes there will be a delay before effects show.

The symptoms of chronic whiplash may never disappear completely. These can include:

Pain and stiffness in the neck or shoulders,
    Upper or lower back pain,
    Jaw pain,
    Severe headaches,
    Dizziness,
    Blurred vision,
    Constant weariness,
    Concentration and memory problems,
    Ringing in the ears,
    Difficulty sleeping,
    Irritability,
    Travel anxiety, and
    Numbness or weakness in the arms or legs.

So your ‘symptoms’ showed up a number of months later, what you have C&P here says it can be up to a few days.
    Interesting.

We all feel the pinch after Christmas I suppose.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 436 ✭✭incentsitive

"Full symptoms may only appear a few days after the impact, with an injury being felt 12 hours following the accident....."

Are you sure you don't just have the January blues based on that list of symptoms?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,276 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

"Full symptoms may only appear a few days after the impact, with an injury being felt 12 hours following the accident....."

Are you sure you don't just have the January blues based on that list of symptoms?

More likely mentioned the crash over Christmas and someone said “what do you mean you didn’t make a claim”.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭dhaughton99

I was recently told about the crash between the Luas and Dublin bus 2 years ago by someone in the know. The solicitors began digging through the cctv and found that 8 people jumped on after the crash looking for a payday.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,488 ✭✭✭Working class heroes

Hi,

Thanks!

Everton won the cup in '95.

Racism is now hiding behind the cloak of Community activism.

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭TCM

I don't understand why you you are asking people here for advice on such a matter. It's patently obvious that you simply go and speak to a solicitor.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭Stephen15

And who was at fault the DB bus or BE bus it doesn't make much difference as both are under CIEs self insurance policy but if it were a private bus, car or truck at fault then that private company or individuals insurance company should be made pay out.

I remember there was a case where a truck crashed into a DB bus but DB were still made pay out aswell as the truck company even though it was found the truck was at fault. Why is this?

• Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭XPS_Zero

Taking the person at their word (I hate snotty b1tchy people online who think they know all about a person based on a post on the internet)...You must have just done something recently to put a strain on it, there is no way symptoms would take that long to appear.

Slow growing cancers work faster than that let alone muscle damage.

The first report being 2 years later may mean that any judge would say they were unrelated, and the insurance would have medical experts to testify so.

I doubt you'd have anywhere to go with that.

If it is indeed that someone said "you mean you didn't claim?", then either consciously or subconsciously you decided on some level to start feeling pain, IMO just let it go it's too much time gone by.

On the wider issue of claims.

Irelands justice system is a disgrace in a number of ways, the excess suspended sentences, clear and obvious murders charged as manslaughter, the lack of a habitual offenders law so you can rack up 20+ convictions and still keep going...but the claims culture is among the worst parts.
    Nothing except pure willful negligence or at the very least incompetence and sloth should = compensation, and I've never understood how slipping a disc is fixed by you getting cash...it's not, a far bigger disincentive would be a massive disproportionate fine against the company or body with the revenue going right into the health service, not into the local pub of people whos mates tell them "you'd get a claim outta dat boss".

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,358 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

Stephen15 wrote: »
    And who was at fault the DB bus or BE bus it doesn't make much difference as both are under CIEs self insurance policy but if it were a private bus, car or truck at fault then that private company or individuals insurance company should be made pay out.

I remember there was a case where a truck crashed into a DB bus but DB were still made pay out aswell as the truck company even though it was found the truck was at fault. Why is this?

Liability can be shared regardless of who's considered to be at fault.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 655 ✭✭✭Political Wall Map

Must be broke after the Christmas

• Registered Users Posts: 31,001 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Whiplash, the injury invented by the legal profession.

So what's the correct terminology for neck pain caused by a severe vehicle collision?

I rolled a car into a field at 120kph a couple of decades ago. Was plagued with neck pain afterwards, but fixed it myself with a year of daily swimming.

Not sure how you'd get it in a low speed bus crash though, particularly given that there's no seatbelts.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 100 ✭✭obby1

Whiplash is a ‘myth’, says leading Irish neurosurgeon
    https://www.irishtimes.com/news/health/whiplash-is-a-myth-says-leading-irish-neurosurgeon-1.3058621

In One Country, Chronic Whiplash Is Uncompensated (and Unknown)
    https://www.nytimes.com/1996/05/07/science/in-one-country-chronic-whiplash-is-uncompensated-and-unknown.html

its all just a money grab

Advertisement