Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Roundabout Query

13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,896 ✭✭✭✭Spook_ie

It doesn't matter how many lanes are on the exit. If there's 2 entering and the right isn't marked explicitly to go around, both can exit straight ahead.

If unmarked you can legally go around the round about entering from the left lane. Its just advised not to.
    tom1ie wrote: »
    Your telling me that on an unmarked roundabout you can enter on the left and exit on the right?
    How long have you your driving licence, or have you got one?
    Alun wrote: »
    The key word in the statement is "legally". AFAIK there's nothing in any SI that prohibits it, only what's in the ROTR which are guidelines and not legally binding.

This ^^^^

The only legal requirement AFAIK in the traffic regulations is that you must turn left when entering a roundabout, note traffic regulations are the SI's that courts, barristers etc. rely on rather than the RoTR which are guidelines.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,792 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

Spook_ie wrote: »
    This ^^^^

The only legal requirement AFAIK in the traffic regulations is that you must turn left when entering a roundabout, note traffic regulations are the SI's that courts, barristers etc. rely on rather than the RoTR which are guidelines.

You are also legally required to follow any regulatory road markings.
    So in effect the unmarked roundabout is a free for all?

liamog wrote: »
    You are also legally required to follow any regulatory road markings.
    So in effect the unmarked roundabout is a free for all?

If it's unmarked then yes, if it has lane markings then no but the ONLY SI AFAIK referring specifically to roundabouts is that when entering you must turn left.

http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/eli/1964/si/294/made/en/print
    21 Entering a roundabout

21. A driver shall enter a roundabout by turning to the left.

As still referenced by

http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/eli/2017/si/244

Failure of a driver to turn to the left when entering a roundabout

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭loveall

Recently i was on a dual carriage way. Two lanes into roundabout and two out for north and south traffic with the east and west roads joining the roundabout being single lane.
    I entered the roundabout in the right lane as traffic in left was indicating left. I gave way to a car coming round in the left lane of the roundabout. I'd expected the driver to take the next exit but he didn't, I had a feeling something wasn't right. He didn't take the exit for the junction i was taking either and so passed directly in front of my bonnet. He'd gone around the whole roundabout in the left lane. I had my eye on him and could see it coming so I was prepared, but the car behind me nearly flew into my rear.
    No such thing as a free for all on any roundabout!

• Advertisement
Advertisement