Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Catastrophic condition of roads in Cork city (pic heavy thread)

• 31-05-2018 7:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,726 ✭✭✭Diabhalta

Okay, so this a long term issue but after this winter the situation is not acceptable anymore and the city council is not doing anything, or enough to improve the road network in Cork city.

In Cork city there are thousands and thousands of spots that need to be repaired and replaced. Kilometers and kilometers of roads need to be resurfaced. And if the council is repairing something it is done very poorly.

I find it very strange that the city council is rebuilding a roundabout at the airport instead of fixing and resurfacing the roads. They made the centre island of that roundabout bigger for some weird reason and the whole thing makes no sense whatsoever. These people are not competent to do their job and should be replaced by somebody who actually knows what they are doing.

I cycled a bit in the past few days and weeks and only then I realised that the roads are absolutely horrible! I found myslef braking quite often and I had to just change direction suddenly many times because the roads are that bad. Riding a motorbike must be a nightmare.

So here is a bit of documentation done by me. Pictures are few months old, some of the potholes have been "repaired" (if you can call it that) and generally the roads got worse and nothing is happening. So yeah, third world coutnry roads and we supposed to be ok with that? I don't think so.

Harbour View rd., outside Supervalu. There are 3 pedestrian crossing there with lights, one outside the library, one further up after the roundabout (it's the worst one from all 3) and one more further up. All of them are aboslutely horrible.

IMG_3403.jpg

IMG_3405.jpg

IMG_3401.jpg

IMG_3402.jpg

ped xing outside library

IMG_3400.jpg

ped xing further up after the roundabout. Currently totally destroyed.

IMG_3398-01.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,726 ✭✭✭Diabhalta

Cronin's field. From Lidl towards the park (Bakers rd.).

IMG_3396.jpg

IMG_3395.jpg

Shanakiel road. Are we still in Western Europe?

IMG_3427.jpg

IMG_3429.jpg

IMG_3430.jpg

IMG_3426.jpg

IMG_3431.jpg

IMG_3432.jpg

IMG_3434.jpg

they went there to fix this like 3 times in last few months and it's still bad.

IMG_3424.jpg

IMG_3425.jpg

this is what it looks like today.

20180518_182856.jpg

Shanakiel rd. X Sunday's well rd.

IMG_3436.jpg

IMG_3437.jpg

Lee rd. X Western rd. junction. One of the busiest junctions in Cork city and it looks like this.

IMG_3438.jpg

IMG_3439.jpg

IMG_3440.jpg

IMG_3442.jpg

IMG_3443.jpg

IMG_3444.jpg

IMG_3441.jpg

Pictures taken today. Still a mess.

20180531_120329.jpg

20180531_120257.jpg

20180531_120248.jpg

20180531_120319.jpg

• Advertisement

Going further, right after the bridge. Still looks more less the same today.

IMG_3445.jpg

IMG_3446.jpg

Bridge over the River Lee, heading towards Victoria X.

IMG_3447.jpg

IMG_3448.jpg

IMG_3449.jpg

IMG_3450.jpg

Victoria cross heading towards city centre... there are 2 manhole covers by the side of the road. Lower than the rest of the road. Way lower than they should be. And it seems they are clogged.

IMG_3451.jpg

IMG_3457.jpg

IMG_3452.jpg

IMG_3453.jpg

IMG_3454.jpg

IMG_3455.jpg

IMG_3458.jpg

pedestrian crossing further up towards Dennehy's cross. Pothole filled, but still a mess.

IMG_3456.jpg

IMG_3460.jpg

Model Farm rd., from Dennehy's cross

IMG_3467.jpg

IMG_3468.jpg

IMG_3469.jpg

IMG_3471.jpg

IMG_3472.jpg

IMG_3473.jpg

IMG_3475.jpg

• Advertisement

Rendezvous pub->IDA business park

IMG_3477.jpg

IMG_3478.jpg

IMG_3479.jpg

IMG_3480.jpg

this is interesting ... it's a quite big bump on the road. I was driving behind a bus once and it went up and almost all the way down to the ground.

Somebody did a bad job that day apparently. Well...

nothing to see on pictures really, but it is there and it's not supposed to be.

IMG_3484-1.jpg

IMG_3486.jpg

IMG_3485.jpg

outside IDA business park

IMG_3487.jpg

IMG_3488.jpg

IMG_3490.jpg

Roundabout outside CIT

IMG_3491.jpg

IMG_3494.jpg

IMG_3495.jpg

opposite side of the roundabout. Cork city council's engineering masterpiece. They even painted a line over that abomination.

IMG_3493.jpg

IMG_3492.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭Schorpio

You must be a mind reader Diabhalta! I have been meaning to get out and take some pictures of literally the exact same spots you've done. I was going to write a letter to the Council.

I totally agree, it's a complete disgrace. I dread to think of the years it adds to my poor car too. I think the shoddy 'repairs' are the bits which annoy me the most. It's one thing for the highway to fall into disrepair, it's another thing altogether for someone to have the audacity to walk away from some of those 'repair' jobs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,001 ✭✭✭ Hailey Colossal Toffee

This post has been deleted.

Heading to town, Western rd. passing UCC

cracks in the road

IMG_3500.jpg

Google maps:

western_rd.jpg

there is about 8 manhole covers on this road and 5 of them are bad.

IMG_3505.jpg

IMG_3503.jpg

IMG_3504.jpg

IMG_3506.jpg

Greenville place, pass Mercy hospital in town. This pedestrian crossing.

The drop is too big. Badly built, has to be done again properly.

IMG_3509.jpg

IMG_3507.jpg

IMG_3508.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 24,211 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Christ is it ever dry down there?

Strawberry hill, above the Gaol

last year in April they were doing something there and digging a big hole for I don't know what reason...

This is what it looked like after they were finished:

20170426_230612.jpg

20170426_230617.jpg

20170423_134704.jpg

20170423_134743.jpg

20170423_134749.jpg

20170423_134757.jpg

I emailed them and told them that this not ok. They can't do a job like this and expect us to drive over this. Seriously, what a mess.

So they went back and did this:

20170501_134006.jpg

20170501_133920.jpg

20170501_133941.jpg

still sharp edges around

20170501_134037.jpg

20170508_230333.jpg

I emailed them again telling them that the repair work was waste of time and that spot is still a mess.

They went back and did it the way it should be:

IMG_3420.jpg

Why they couldn't do it properly the first time? Where is the problem here? Maybe the people doing the job should do some course or even be replaced by somebody else?

It would be really nice if the people working there would be more effective and conscientious. The main problem here is that they are wasting our money. My money, your money and everybody else's. How are they even allowed to be so ineffective I don't know.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,641 ✭✭✭zilog_jones

Diabhalta wrote: »
    I find it very strange that the city council is rebuilding a roundabout at the airport instead of fixing and resurfacing the roads.

That's the county council though. The city boundary has officially changed yet, has it? The work started months ago anyway.

Saying that, there are many areas of the south side suburbs (outside of the old boundary) with awful roads too.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,802 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

These photos make for interesting viewing.

To be honest, many of the roads around Derry city are in that sort of state too, although we have a lack of a functioning government to blame it on.

• Registered Users Posts: 705 ✭✭✭Pops_20

I travel the roads you pictured above several times a week (Western Road, Victoria Cross etc), and at this stage I've just had to learn where the potholes/cracks are and drive around them. The cracks on the western road are the worse as they span the width of the road and you really can't avoid them.

If the council saved the money the spent idiotic closing down of Patrick street then perhaps they could have done a half decent repair on the roads.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭Kensei

Looks like the original contractors skipped adding condoms to the asphalt.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,802 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

If Cork is anything like Derry, a lot of these patches are in place due to some other contractor coming along and digging up the road to lay something extra, like broadband, or gas or something.

There should be a requirements that if a part of the road is dug up, then the whole road to a certain amount of metres either side has to be properly resurfaced. That should be in the contract before they are allowed to break ground.

Most of these holes and damaged areas are from patches put in afterwards. If they had to do a full section of road as new, it would be less likely to end up in this awful state.

Pops_20 wrote: »
    and at this stage I've just had to learn where the potholes/cracks are and drive around them.

You see the thing is that you shouldn't remember where all the potholes/cracks are. The roads should be 100% smooth everywhere. It's very expensive to run a car in Ireland at the moment so in return the roads should be excellent.

In central Europe (countries like Poland, Czech rep., Slovakia, Hungary) the motor tax is included in the petrol price. The roads are very good over there. Occasionally you might end up driving over a pothole but it's a rare occurrence. The busiest roads in bigger and smaller cities are perfect.

So when I compare roads in Cork city to those roads over there it seems like we are in Asia, not in Western Europe.

I don't understand how somebody spends thousands of euros on a brand new car and then drives it in Cork. That's just absurd.

Winning in lottery let's say €100M there's no way I would live here. Driving a brand new Lamborghini or Ferrari in Cork? Pffff hahaha :D:D lol that's just not possible. There are other places in Europe with much better infrastructure than Cork city.

North Mall, outside Franciscan Well pub.

This road is decades old. It needs to be resurfaced. There is this big drop at the side of the road so if you can't drive around it you just have to drive over it. It's strange.

2018-06-02_13.47.12.jpg

College rd.

Screenshot_20180602-162018.png

South Mall

Screenshot_20180602-163027.png

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭shivermetimber

Daily motorcyclist and cyclist here in Dublin. The state of the roads in the city is absolutely abysmal the past few years. Seems almost on par with what you have down in Cork. The overall quality is nowhere near good enough and some of the craters are just like in your first picture, inches deep and near lethal on two wheels.

Advertisement