Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

"BMW First"

• 15-05-2017 12:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,845 ✭✭✭v10

I was just emailed details of a new service being offered by BMW .. what are your thoughts on it ? ...
    Get exclusive BMW FIRST advantages for an even better driving experience.
    Basically for €49 per month you get :

• Monthly exterior hand-wash and monthly interior vacuum at any BMW Dealer for free.
    • For each BMW Service choose between pick-up and delivery or replacement vehicle free of charge.
    • In-depth leather care and interior cleaning with original BMW cleaning products included.
    • Drive a BMW model of your choice for 3 days a year for free
    • Rent a roof box or bicycle holder for your vacation for free.
    • We take care of your scratches and dents up to an amount of € 100.00 / year.
    • 10% discount on toll road expenses (up to € 100.00 / year).
    • Get 5 cents on each liter of fuel at partnering petrol stations.

€600 per year .. what do you think ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,386 ✭✭✭JoeA3

Completely daft imo!

Most of those things should be a given, such as the service items.
    I wouldn't let a main dealer near my car to "wash" it.
    100 quid per year for scratches? WTF.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,136 ✭✭✭Stallingrad

You're basically paying them so they can have multiple opportunities to try and sell you a car during the course of the year. If they gave me €600 a year I would consider it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,845 ✭✭✭v10

JoeA3 wrote: »
    Completely daft imo!

Most of those things should be a given, such as the service items.
    I wouldn't let a main dealer near my car to "wash" it.
    100 quid per year for scratches? WTF.

I agree, and in fairness I've always been offered pick-up and delivery or replacement vehicle free of charge any time my car has been booked in for anything.

Also agreed, €100 per year for scratches is ridiculous, €100 wouldn't fix any scratch !

I wouldn't have any problem with a main dealer washing/vacuuming my car though, I'm sure they'd do as good a job as a lot of places.
    You're basically paying them so they can have multiple opportunities to try and sell you a car during the course of the year. If they gave me €600 a year I would consider it.
    They do that anyway !

• Registered Users Posts: 432 ✭✭TGJD

Does the model of your choice 3 days a year include the m5?

TGJD wrote: »
    Does the model of your choice 3 days a year include the m5?
    ha I asked the same thing and was told yes any car is available, apparently a lot of people asked if the i8 was an option too !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,410 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

v10 wrote: »
    ha I asked the same thing and was told yes any car is available, apparently a lot of people asked if the i8 was an option too !

hmm..?600 to drive a M5/i8 for 3 days.. that might be tempting.
    The rest of it is only muck. Well maybe the 5 cents off fuel but the service parts will easily cost you a fortune.
    Whatever about the dealer cleaning the inside of my car I point blank refuse to let them wash the outside as they strip off the wax and sealant and it ends up looking manky with water drops afterwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭Theboinkmaster

I wouldn't have any problem with a main dealer washing/vacuuming my car though, I'm sure they'd do as good a job as a lot of places.

Not a chance - I've bought a premium selection car from a main dealer as well as dropped it into 3 different ones.

All of them "hand washed" and hoovered it and they all did a terrible job, and some of them actually damaged the interior trim of the car. Outside of the car just looks like they wet it.

And most of them let the premium selection cars go out the door in a terrible state, just a quick hoover and wipe with damp cloth :eek:

None of them have a clue when it comes to valeting or detailing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,192 ✭✭✭PGE1970

They do that anyway !

If you care about your paintwork, as I do, I wouldn't let any dealer near my car. Chances are, the sponge that is used is full of grit that they will pass, with force, over the vehicle.

Never mind the damage of a strong power hose close to alloys etc.

Save your cash, buy yourself a DA polisher, some decent products and look after it yourself rather than leaving it with some 17 year old in for a summer job.

Not a chance - I've bought a premium selection car from a main dealer as well as dropped it into 3 different ones.

All of them "hand washed" and hoovered it and they all did a terrible job, and some of them actually damaged the interior trim of the car. Outside of the car just looks like they wet it.

And most of them let the premium selection cars go out the door in a terrible state, just a quick hoover and wipe with damp cloth :eek:

None of them have a clue when it comes to valeting or detailing.

Fair enough, can't say I've much experience of them valeting my car to be honest, in fact other than a couple a free washes with a service I have no experience!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,136 ✭✭✭Stallingrad

I came across the 'valeting bay' at a main dealer recently, the power hose brush was resting face down on the ground. They are not all bad but why chance it?

• Advertisement

the valeting part is not mandatory anyway guys !

I personally get my car washed about every fortnight by some local power wash guys (so that's about €17 without interior clean) and haven't had any issues, I don't know but didn't think my dealer would be any worse.

But anyway what about the other features of the offer ?

OP, I wouldn't let a valeter at my car either! Basically, anyone using a sponge, a blade, one bucket, someone else's dirty water or a product that might strip my car of wax, LSP etc is not welcome!! ;)

Regarding the rest of the offer:

Monthly exterior hand-wash and monthly interior vacuum at any BMW Dealer for free. Already well dealt with!
    • For each BMW Service choose between pick-up and delivery or replacement vehicle free of charge. Is a replacement car not usually given?
    • In-depth leather care and interior cleaning with original BMW cleaning products included. - A bottle of Gliptone leather cleaner is under a tenner. Dakota leather is already treated with a protectant so doesn't breathe like natural untreated leather. Only needs cleaning and not conditioning.
    • Drive a BMW model of your choice for 3 days a year for free - It's not free - it's €600!
    • Rent a roof box or bicycle holder for your vacation for free. - If you need it.
    • We take care of your scratches and dents up to an amount of € 100.00 / year. - :eek:
    • 10% discount on toll road expenses (up to € 100.00 / year). Might be of use if you are a regular user not exceeding €1000 per annum.
    • Get 5 cents on each liter of fuel at partnering petrol stations. Depends on mileage I suppose and if a partnering station is close to you and is not more expensive than a closer competitor.

As a driver of a 3 series, I wouldn't be tempted!!

• Registered Users Posts: 51,060 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

What a waste of €600. There is no way you would be given a M or i model once, not to mind up to 3 times a year. Realistically more like a 116d/316d or whatever trade in is taxed out back.

All in all, this is comically bad value for money.

I'd categorise it with the ludicrous insurance policies Currys try to push on you if you whether its a USB key or a telly you're buying :pac:

bazz26 wrote: »
    What a waste of €600. There is no way you would be given a M or i model once, not to mind up to 3 times a year. Realistically more like a 116d/316d or whatever trade in is taxed out back.

I did speak to them (they called because I registered interest) and asked this question and they did say an M or i model would be available, I also asked could the 3 days be taken separately and was told yes that's not a problem.

The fuel and toll parts where the only other that I thought might be useful but again depends on an individuals usage.

They are giving the first 6 months half price as an introductory offer so year 1 would be €450, but still over priced for what you're getting imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,009 ✭✭✭mikeecho

Their washing technique will leave you with more than €100 worth of paint damage over the course of the year.

€600 would also allow you to rent a bmw for more than 3days.

I've never needed a roof box

I don't spend anywhere near €100 on tolls, let alone €1,000.

I already get 4¢off a litre of fuel.

mikeecho wrote: »
    Their washing technique will leave you with more than €100 worth of paint damage over the course of the year.

€600 would also allow you to rent a bmw for more than 3days.

I've never needed a roof box

I don't spend anywhere near €100 on tolls, let alone €1,000.

I already get 4¢off a litre of fuel.

Yeah and I think that would be the general opinion, but could I rent a M or i series BMW for less than €600 ? Where ? (genuinely curious)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,009 ✭✭✭mikeecho

Yeah and I think that would be the general opinion, but could I rent a M or i series BMW for less than €600 ? Where ? (genuinely curious)

Here, http://www.autoeurope.ie/luxury.cfm

Or you could head to BMW Welt, and take a car out for a day.
    Daytime autobahn blasts, and night time steins of beer.

If you're a good customer of the dealer and they know you well, getting the keys for a "test drive" shouldn't be too difficult. Maybe not for 3 days though.

mikeecho wrote: »
    Here, http://www.autoeurope.ie/luxury.cfm

Or you could head to BMW Welt, and take a car out for a day.
    Daytime autobahn blasts, and night time steins of beer.

Best car available there for this weekend is a 5 series (and I'd a assume a 2L diesel) for €330, a long way off an M or i series.
    JoeA3 wrote: »
    If you're a good customer of the dealer and they know you well, getting the keys for a "test drive" shouldn't be too difficult. Maybe not for 3 days though.

I would consider myself 'a good customer' but anymore than an accompanied test drive doesn't really seem to be an option from my experience, maybe some dealers would be different though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭quadrifoglio verde

the valeting part is not mandatory anyway guys !

I personally get my car washed about every fortnight by some local power wash guys (so that's about €17 without interior clean) and haven't had any issues, I don't know but didn't think my dealer would be any worse.

But anyway what about the other features of the offer ?

If you're in Dublin, I highly recommend going to Ian in elite autoclean. For 20 Euro, your car will be washed to a completely different level than a power wash guy.
    The after result speaks for itself.

If you pay 17 Euro already to have your car washed every 2 weeks you clearly like keeping it clean.
    Itd be a shame to miss out on the condition Ian would leave it in for an extra 3 quid

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,006 ✭✭✭bmwguy

I was just emailed details of a new service being offered by BMW .. what are your thoughts on it ? ...

Basically for €49 per month you get :

• Monthly exterior hand-wash and monthly interior vacuum at any BMW Dealer for free.
    • For each BMW Service choose between pick-up and delivery or replacement vehicle free of charge.
    • In-depth leather care and interior cleaning with original BMW cleaning products included.
    • Drive a BMW model of your choice for 3 days a year for free
    • Rent a roof box or bicycle holder for your vacation for free.
    • We take care of your scratches and dents up to an amount of € 100.00 / year.
    • 10% discount on toll road expenses (up to € 100.00 / year).
    • Get 5 cents on each liter of fuel at partnering petrol stations.

€600 per year .. what do you think ?

Monthly wash - put a value of a tenner on this same as a garage wash
    Free pick up/delivery or replacement vehicle for each service - zero value to me as I wouldn't get it serviced in dealers
    Leather care - maybe worth something
    BMW model.of choice for 3 days - ok deal if you could get something exotic, i8, m car, convertible and take on a weekend down the country but can't see them honouring it. 116d from Tuesday to Thursday maybe.
    Roof box or bicycle holder- no interest
    Scratches and dents - not much for 100 euro. Might put it towards an alloy refurbished if allowed. Car currently has no body scratches
    Toll roads - would not save me much maybe a euro a month.
    5 cent a litre fuel - save me about a fiver a month at most

Overall, nothing much to see here. Getting a top notch car to drive for 3 days about all that is here. Insurance could be a killer.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,398 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

OP, I thought you said that they would give you an M car or an I car, if they were available?

What do you think the chances are of one being available to any old Tom, Dick or Harry that asks for one? Do you really think a 23 year old 116 driver with a whiff of 'just out of college and in his first real job' coming off him is going to get an M car for three days? More likely he'd be told it was 'unavailable'. I'd say that would be reserved for the current owner of a higher end BMW.

r3nu4l wrote: »
    OP, I thought you said that they would give you an M car or an I car, if they were available?

What do you think the chances are of one being available to any old Tom, Dick or Harry that asks for one? Do you really think a 23 year old 116 driver with a whiff of 'just out of college and in his first real job' coming off him is going to get an M car for three days? More likely he'd be told it was 'unavailable'. I'd say that would be reserved for the current owner of a higher end BMW.

I only know what they told me, I drive a 2015 6 series so would have no interest in anything less than that so I asked the question, I specifically asked if I could take an M or i series for 3 separate days and was told no problem. I didn't ask about insurance admittedly, so not sure how that's done.

OP,

You're in a 2 year old 6 series and you have it down the local garage for a wash😨😨

Get yourself up to Ian in Elite asap. You won't recognise it after he's done!

Whilst you're there, pop over to Detailing Shed and stock up. Dave there is a good fella and has a beemer himself so will recommend products to match your paint, colour etc. Soon, you'll be driving by the local garage tut tutting at the queue!

Lovely car by the way.

PGE1970 wrote: »
    OP,

You're in a 2 year old 6 series and you have it down the local garage for a wash😨😨

Get yourself up to Ian in Elite asap. You won't recognise it after he's done!

Whilst you're there, pop over to Detailing Shed and stock up. Dave there is a good fella and has a beemer himself so will recommend products to match your paint, colour etc. Soon, you'll be driving by the local garage tut tutting at the queue!

Lovely car by the way.

Unfortunately, I don't be in Dublin too often so Elite is a bit too far for me!

As for stocking up on product, I'm far too lazy to clean my own car :o

Thanks !

I'm far too lazy to clean my own car :o

Thanks !
    A fairly new 6 series and you don't wash it yourself?? Blasphemy!!!!!!

Blazer wrote: »
    A fairly new 6 series and you don't wash it yourself?? Blasphemy!!!!!!

Don't tell the lads in the Detailing forum!!!:P

PGE1970 wrote: »
    Don't tell the lads in the Detailing forum!!!:P

It would be like that episode of Friends where Monica called to Ross's ex to clean her apartment as it was so dirty.

• Advertisement
  • Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭J.pilkington

bmwguy wrote: »
    Monthly wash - put a value of a tenner on this same as a garage wash
    Free pick up/delivery or replacement vehicle for each service - zero value to me as I wouldn't get it serviced in dealers
    Leather care - maybe worth something
    BMW model.of choice for 3 days - ok deal if you could get something exotic, i8, m car, convertible and take on a weekend down the country but can't see them honouring it. 116d from Tuesday to Thursday maybe.
    Roof box or bicycle holder- no interest
    Scratches and dents - not much for 100 euro. Might put it towards an alloy refurbished if allowed. Car currently has no body scratches
    Toll roads - would not save me much maybe a euro a month.
    5 cent a litre fuel - save me about a fiver a month at most

Overall, nothing much to see here. Getting a top notch car to drive for 3 days about all that is here. Insurance could be a killer.

You are admitting yourself that you are not their target market(not interested in BMW aftercare) so I don't think they will be too bothered about your lack of interest.

They are launching a new product, obviously not going to appeal to everyone but I'm sure it makes economic sense to plenty of their customers

Advertisement