Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Strong Winds/Severe Gusts January 14/15th 2015

• 11-01-2015 6:38am
    Registered Users Posts: 23,434 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Latest guidance suggest sharp cyclogenesis or rapid deepening and tightening of the pressure gradient in transition off the west coast and the potential for storm gusts along with strong average wind speeds. It is still early to speculate numerically the actual speed that can be expected but certainly potentially damaging to structures. The west is most vulnerable but should it occur as progged it is a nationwide problem all be it to varying and dynamic extents.

Warnings will almost certainly be issued on Monday.

334452.png

334453.png

Keep up to date as this is a developing situation and strength and intensity are not nailed on just yet. The track has cross model agreement.

00z ECM is slightly less dramatic because it does not deepen the LP so much with damaging winds for the southwest but not as intense elsewhere - still an upgrade on the 12z.

ECM1-96.GIF?11-12

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭sparrowcar

And so it begins... :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,542 ✭✭✭Tactical

Tickets at the ready for the roller coaster.

Oh goody :):):)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

A pretty big difference between the models still.

ECM has a 964mb low with some strong winds but mainly confined to the south of the country.

150111_0000_96.png

GEM has a strong 950mb low crossing the country.

UV_PN_UU_VV_090_12000.gif

GFS is similiar.

96-21UK_pjl0.GIF

GFSP is the strongest of the models with a 945mb low and very strong winds.

96-21PUK_ljw2.GIF

ECM does best in these scenarios, but there's still enough time for significant changes either way.

• Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭Strangegravy

We've done well so far this year to escape all the crazy lows that have passed well to the north of Ireland, but this one does look like it'll be a lot further south, going on current predictions.

I'm wondering will my new garden fence finally get a decent test here in Limerick, after last February's storm destroyed the old one. It looks like a similar trajectory on some of the models. Will be watching this closely.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

EC places gusts >90mph along south coast midnight Wednesday

• Advertisement

Still a large variety of outcomes on the ECM postage stamps. Most have a low in the 960-965mb range though there is a cluster with deeper lows similar to the GFS and GEM.

06Z GFS has pushed the low further south. Strong winds over the southern half of the country on this run.

96-21UK_ivx4.GIF

Theme for peak intensity to be just before pushing making landfall. Still looks likely to be a very windy day but with the low filling as it approaches.

• Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭downwiththatsor

06Z GFS has pushed the low further south. Strong winds over the southern half of the country on this run.
    GFSP a little further North?

GFSP a little further North?

Not much difference in position. Strongest winds are again into the southwest on the GFSP. A bit stronger than the GFS.

90-21PUK_ngc6.GIF
    96-21PUK_ves5.GIF

Very stormy runs, for southern parts especially. But with a 20mb difference between this and the ECM.... I'm not sure I believe the GFS here.

• Advertisement

p8FbaKH.png
    p1LdxxW.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭legomaniac

A rather conservative forecast there by MT. I was expecting at least a low level alert for the strong winds for today and tonight. Wednesday's event is still not set in stone and a good call by him not to make to much of it at this stage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Looks like a hide under the table event to me!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,466 Mod ✭✭✭✭mickger844posts

For Southern parts who rarely see storms of this intensity this is for sure something we need to keep a close eye on over the next few days. We all know its track will dictate all but currently all the ingredients are there for an event type situation. Interesting model watching ahead.

Definite trend for a more southerly track on the latest 6z GFS Ensembles

Definite trend for a more southerly track on the latest 6z GFS Ensembles

And a trend for it to deepen sooner in the Atlantic.

For some areas, the GFS and GFSP had stronger winds than any of the 20 members.

I smell a downgrade coming. Or at least something less deep and more like the ECM (960-965).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 655 ✭✭✭RED L4 0TH

From ME's national forecast, outlook section, issued at 11.50. For later Wednesday it says:
    With the clearance of the rain the wind will veer southwest again and it will become stormy for a time, especially along western coasts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 230 ✭✭AnotherYear

Met office also giving support for a Southerly track with this warning issued today
    2015-1-14

They expect gusts of 50-60mph quite widely and isolated gusts of up to 75mph on exposed coasts and hills so pretty much a non event for them at least regarding the 50-60mph

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Harps

Yep just got a warning on my phone for severe gales and an active and squally front for Wednesday in SE England. Plenty of time for changes yet but UKMO agreeing with a southerly track

60-75mph gusts might not sound too severe but SE England isn't used to storms so it'd cause a lot more disruption than a similar event in the west of Ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 230 ✭✭AnotherYear

I agree but 50-60 over the populated areas, 75mph reserved for coasts and hills. Still could change

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭cyclops999

M E advising to batten down the hatches by midweek

• Registered Users Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭goat2

p8FbaKH.png
    p1LdxxW.png

looks like scary stuff, had alot of damage done last year at my place, am dreading another blowdown, but at least i have the dangerous trees cut back

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

The mean of the ECMWF ens have the low slightly further north, and slightly deeper than the op run. Indicating a unnerving bit of spread.

7M5fiy.jpg

New Moon

• Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭legomaniac

I have a distant relative who lives in a very exposed coastal location and he is 84. Good health etc but lives alone so when we get wild storms I bring him up to my place as I'm well in from the sea. Last year the sea was crashing shingle and stones against his gable. He hates a fuss but if this storm is as bad as some forecast then I better evacuate him on Tuesday evening. But I will make that decision Tuesday morning. Many in the locality are talking about a big wind midweek. I missed the Met Eireann farming weather as I was out dosing some ewes. What did they say?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

met.ie latest is not very apocalyptic
    During Wednesday the moderate southwest wind will increase fresh to strong southerly bringing a rise in temperatures for a time. Along with the change in wind direction will come a more persistent spell of rain, extending from the west to all areas, turning heavy as the day goes on. The rain will clear to showers again by early night, again wintry in nature at times as temperatures fall to near freezing again overnight. With the clearance of the rain the wind will veer southwest again and it will become stormy for a time, especially along western coasts.

The southwest winds will slowly ease through the course of Thursday and the wintry showers will continue in the west, while it will be mainly fair elsewhere, although initially the strong winds will carry the showers further eastwards.

The further outlook to next weekend is for a continued westerly flow bringing showers on to western coastal counties and temperatures around normal for the time of year.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,955 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

legomaniac wrote: »
    I have a distant relative who lives in a very exposed coastal location and he is 84. Good health etc but lives alone so when we get wild storms I bring him up to my place as I'm well in from the sea. Last year the sea was crashing shingle and stones against his gable. He hates a fuss but if this storm is as bad as some forecast then I better evacuate him on Tuesday evening. But I will make that decision Tuesday morning. Many in the locality are talking about a big wind midweek. I missed the Met Eireann farming weather as I was out dosing some ewes. What did they say?

Jean Byrne said "batten down the hatches". She seemed to expecting extremely stormy conditions on coastal areas on Weds evening/night, I think she emphasised the west more than the south though.
    That's good of you to keep an eye on your uncle. Be a good idea to give him a shout and make sure he has a working torch anyway as quite a few people on the west coast have been without elec due to the wind in the last week.

12Z GFS. 945mb. Intense gradient aimed at the southwest. Slightly further north than the 06Z, otherwise not much difference at first glance.

gfs-0-84.png?12?12

Looks very stormy for you guys!

GFS P a little further south but still a very powerful storm

gfs-0-90.png?12

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

Looks very stormy for you guys!

We must wait for the ECM to be on board! interesting few days weather ahead

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement