Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Official Conor McGregor Thread (READ MOD WARNING IN OP)

1286287288289290292»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,305 ✭✭✭splashthecash

Conor 1\4 to win or Conor to win by KO in round 1 currently at 17/10...

Looking forward to this press conference - t'will be interesting to see what the lads come out with.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,984 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

Aldo fought twice a year barring the injury hit 2015

Aldo defended the belt twice in 2014, twice in 2013, once in 2012, twice in 2011, twice in 2010, fought four times in 2009. (Check how he stacks up to the rest and you will see he is anything but the inactive fighter some people try to portray him as)

He was not an inactive champion.

The gaps between his last 5 fights were: 14 month, 8 months, 6 months, 6 months, 13 months.

The fact you’re saying that this record isn’t even what you’d deem to be one of an inactive champion actually strengthens the point that I’m making that Conor is being treated with complete double standards by those that are calling for him to be forced to vacate after not defending for 2 months (FFS).

• Registered Users Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

Conor walking around at 177 pounds this week, so he still has a 7 pound cut. Interesting that he was gonna cut 22 pounds fight week for Dos Anjos, still a pretty big cut.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,017 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

evo2000 wrote: »
    Considering alot of other champs are a joke when it comes to defenses that doesnt really say much

Aldo turned down his shot at a rematch after whinging for it he should be let stew same for frankie.

Frankie is injured ffs

Aldo should have stayed in shape, damn right, but if he isn't and can't make 155 in 10 days I can understand that. That's before we get into whether or not he could have been cleared by medical to get back in again before the end of his medical suspension.

Your first point? It doesn't matter whether it says much, it says enough to say he isn't an inactive fighter, which is all it needs to say.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,269 ✭✭✭Gamebred

You could say frankie and Jose are the ones holding the division up,neither of them are fit to fight now so they can sit out and wait till the call comes,the person with the belt and numbers calls the shots all they gotta do is stay ready and in some sort of un injured shape when hes due to fight,

Not saying Conor would've cut to 145 but say RDA pulled out 3 weeks ago,a 145 title fight could've been done,but neither were fit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,017 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

Foxtrol wrote: »
    The gaps between his last 5 fights were: 14 month, 8 months, 6 months, 6 months, 13 months.

The fact you’re saying that this record isn’t even what you’d deem to be one of an inactive champion actually strengthens the point that I’m making that Conor is being treated with complete double standards by those that are calling for him to be forced to vacate after not defending for 2 months (FFS).

I'm not someone who said Conor should vacate for not defending for 2 months (FFS) so don't lump me in there, who said that?

My only point is that Aldo has not been an inactive fighter, McGregor is practically a hyper active fighter, he could do it but I can't see him fighting at 145 again, he should have defended against Frankie, he probably should defend against Aldo really but hard to make enough of a case given what happened.

Again, I am not calling for McGregor to be stripped of the belt already, I am pointing out the inaccuracy of trying to paint Aldo as inactive, it has been shown many times now but still needs to be repeated apparently.

If McGregor knows himself he isn't going to go to 145 again he will vacate once he wins the LW belt, I'm sure of that. Makes no sense for them to limit their options as of yet though. Keep all avenues open, a WW title shot would not be beyond him with how his physique is developing, he is a natural LW to me right now, and always has been in the UFC at least but as he gets a bit older he is showing he will be capable of moving up also.

He has been extremely clever with his career thus far, the cutting to FW was extremely tough on him, we know that, but it gave him huge advantages in that division, in LW I still think he gonna be a problem match up for most, when it comes to WW he could face problems but while the dream is still alive to hold (potentially) 3 different weight class belts at once I can't see him giving up any belt.

I'd imagine the image of a strap on each shoulder and one around his waist is something very appealing to Conor, as it would any fighter, and by going to a weight limit below himself and taking that, potentially taking the belt where he would be most natural, and then trying to extend himself a little more to take a belt from a higher weight class? That is GOAT territory right there and though he would obviously relinquish the FW belt after he achieved it I can see that being a target for him.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Registered Users Posts: 5,885 ✭✭✭stephenl15

Gotta cut Frankie some slack. I have no doubt he'd have taken this fight if he wasn't injured. Just like with RDA, injuries happen and it's not always somebodies fault.

• Registered Users Posts: 796 ✭✭✭Deadst4r

If this fight had of been scheduled for 145 against Frankie, Frankie would have had to pull out, Aldo wouldn't have been ready and Conor would be looking at facing Max Holloway again.

:pac::pac::pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,118 ✭✭✭shrapnel222

Gamebred wrote: »
    You could say frankie and Jose are the ones holding the division up,neither of them are fit to fight now so they can sit out and wait till the call comes,the person with the belt and numbers calls the shots all they gotta do is stay ready and in some sort of un injured shape when hes due to fight,

Not saying Conor would've cut to 145 but say RDA pulled out 3 weeks ago,a 145 title fight could've been done,but neither were fit.

there's very little depth in the featherweight division at the moment anyway. apart from the 2 mentioned you could only build a case for Holloway (and may be just Mendes) to get a title shot. There's no real rush as both Edgar and Aldo are unavailable.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,269 ✭✭✭Gamebred

Deadst4r wrote: »
    If this fight had of been scheduled for 145 against Frankie, Frankie would have had to pull out, Aldo wouldn't have been ready and Conor would be looking at facing Max Holloway again.

:pac::pac::pac:

Wrong Holloway is injured too :pac:

So much for Conor Holding the division up.

• Advertisement

I'm not someone who said Conor should vacate for not defending for 2 months (FFS) so don't lump me in there, who said that?

My only point is that Aldo has not been an inactive fighter, McGregor is practically a hyper active fighter, he could do it but I can't see him fighting at 145 again, he should have defended against Frankie, he probably should defend against Aldo really but hard to make enough of a case given what happened.

Again, I am not calling for McGregor to be stripped of the belt already, I am pointing out the inaccuracy of trying to paint Aldo as inactive, it has been shown many times now but still needs to be repeated apparently.

If McGregor knows himself he isn't going to go to 145 again he will vacate once he wins the LW belt, I'm sure of that. Makes no sense for them to limit their options as of yet though. Keep all avenues open, a WW title shot would not be beyond him with how his physique is developing, he is a natural LW to me right now, and always has been in the UFC at least but as he gets a bit older he is showing he will be capable of moving up also.

He has been extremely clever with his career thus far, the cutting to FW was extremely tough on him, we know that, but it gave him huge advantages in that division, in LW I still think he gonna be a problem match up for most, when it comes to WW he could face problems but while the dream is still alive to hold (potentially) 3 different weight class belts at once I can't see him giving up any belt.

I'd imagine the image of a strap on each shoulder and one around his waist is something very appealing to Conor, as it would any fighter, and by going to a weight limit below himself and taking that, potentially taking the belt where he would be most natural, and then trying to extend himself a little more to take a belt from a higher weight class? That is GOAT territory right there and though he would obviously relinquish the FW belt after he achieved it I can see that being a target for him.

I don't mean to be picking just a couple of points from this will written post, but I disagree with the part that McGregor "should have" defended his title vs Edgar or Aldo. I personally think Edgar and Aldo should fight each other to set up a title match. Aldo was the champion, and a great one at that. But he beat Edgar when they fought last, then he lost to McGregor. Nobody deserves a straight rematch regardless of how great they were. Edgar has no right to call out McGregor when he lost to the man that McGregor beat IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,427 ✭✭✭✭El Guapo!

Locking this thread as it's nearing the post limit.
    New thread here: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057565178

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement