Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

My first creative effort

• 06-07-2019 10:16pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,794 ✭✭✭

My first ever attempt as an adult to write something.

I just sat down at the computer half an hour ago with no idea what I was going to write, and these few words came out.

I'd love people's opinions. I don't know if I'll continue with this, but would like some feedback. I tried pasting the words in here, but the formatting came out awful, so I'm going with an image.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭km85264

Hi SL
    Great piece of writing if that really is your first attempt. I'd highly recommend you don't make it your last.

I'm going to make some constructive critical comments to guide, hoping that you do keep writing: have a few reads before you post, make sure it's the best you can do before you ask somebody to read, because you may only get once chance. Watch the punctuation and grammar (e.g. ****er,' not ****er', - the comma goes inside); trivial stuff but people get really upset at such things. Wind down on the exclamation marks and italics, use your language to portray the emotion. Put in a section break before you switch character viewpoints, though in a piece this short you should stick to one character.

A tip for the future: you just sat down and wrote this so you don't know where it's going yet, but if you were starting off a short story or a novel, I'd want to get more of a clue. I want some buy in to get me through the euuuugh! moments of pools of vomit. Those are gorgeously awful, but help me to believe that there will be something worth wading my way through this for.
    Kieran

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,794 ✭✭✭Squall Leonhart

Hi Kieran,

Thanks a million for the feedback. Yes, it really is my first attempt at anything. I know the imagery is a bit bleurgh in spots haha, sorry about that. It wasn't meant to be gross, it just kinda went that way when I was trying to imagine myself in that situation.

Wind down on italics and exclamations, noted. I was unsure how to write what she was thinking without italics or adding "she thought to herself" or similar.

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭km85264

And that comes back to my first point: read and read and read again. You know yourself what's right and wrong but it won't be until the eighth or ninth time you go through it that you'll realise those italics are just annoying.
    Do keep writing though, you have a very natural style.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,288 ✭✭✭✭branie2

It's very good :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Sheridan81

It's not bad.

• Advertisement
Advertisement