Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Exercise Bikes

• 15-12-2009 9:04pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5

Hi there,

I'm looking to buy an exercise bike for my home... Have heard they are a great cardio workout and for overall fitness.

I have done some research into different bikes given their specifications and prices and want to know if anyone can advise me on some good exercise bikes to buy based on their own experience???

Thanks!

G

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,265 ✭✭✭youtheman

I bought one in Maher sports in Cork about two weeks ago. It is a Horizon Fitness make, model Focus 308. It cost me 650 euros, which I would consider to be the upper end of the domestic range. You can get them cheaper, around 250 euros, but as the saying goes 'you get what you pay for'.

see it here : http://www.gymworld.co.uk/prodpage.asp?ProdID=4626

5hag it, I could have got it cheaper in the U.K.

I'm delighted with it. When I was trying various models in the shop I was looking for a sturdy model (i.e. doesn't shake to bits when you cycle), has a smooth action (under load), is compatible with a Polar heart rate monitor and has a basic computer (giving you speed, distance, rpm, watts, heart rate etc) plus the option of various modes (mountain, flat, etc.)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 174 ✭✭horizon26

I have a horizon bike as well they are alright.Do you have a road bike,I find that the indoor bike is a bit upright for me.I prefer to be able to get a more aggressive position so I dont use it that much.

If you are a cyclist a spin bike would be a better buy I think.You can put road bike pedals on them and you can sprint as hard as you want.Although with a magnetic bike (the horizon) has no maintenance only just to clean it a big plus.:D Its also very quite so you can put it in front of the tv and spin away.

The spin bike is geared for intence work outs more for serious sports people, buy it needs to be serviced a negative.:( Although i lost a lot of weight useing my horizon but I bought a road bike to get some fresh air ( I got a little bored inside all the time.)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 specialone

I am 65 and i need to excerise , walking in this area i live is dangerous due to road directions and traffic load , also i have 2 steels knees , i have been told to get an excerise bike and there are so many on the market , i found a company called irish sports direct with free delivery , there is a model there
    Body Sculpture BC-6710G

could anyone tell me is this would be a good bye or not

thank you Niall.

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭Black Bloc

GGPG wrote: »
    Hi there,

I'm looking to buy an exercise bike for my home... Have heard they are a great cardio workout and for overall fitness.

I have done some research into different bikes given their specifications and prices and want to know if anyone can advise me on some good exercise bikes to buy based on their own experience???

Thanks!

G
    More than likely you have thought about a gym membership - cheaper and better in the long run. Is there one near you? Exercise bikes have come a long way from the unsophisticated resistance machines of the 80s but you still get what you pay for.

The Finnish exercise bike company 'Tunturi' sell reconditioned units through their agents. They are super machines. I bought one for the times I spend in Italy in the cold season from their Italian agent and it cost 60% of the new price with a full warranty, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,652 ✭✭✭Worztron

What are the best ways to use exercise bikes and stave off boredom? Watch TV and/or listen to music while cycling {mute TV and turn up stereo}? Any other ideas?

Mitch Hedberg: "Rice is great if you're really hungry and want to eat two thousand of something."

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭_sheep

• Registered Users Posts: 31,001 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Worztron wrote: »
    What are the best ways to use exercise bikes and stave off boredom? Watch TV and/or listen to music while cycling {mute TV and turn up stereo}? Any other ideas?

The sun is shining. Use a real bike. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,265 ✭✭✭youtheman

When I use a threadmill or gym bike I find boredom the biggest hurdle. I used to cover the panel 'cause I just could not look at the time. Then I changed my routine and went for 'interval' type training. On my current bike I can select a 'hill' option and this varies the load from low to hign and so on. Now I can look at the panel and boredom is no longer a problem as the routine is constantly changing.

A gym instructor also told me that this interval type training was also better for my goal of weight loss. Something to do with metabolism.

Advertisement