Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Air b and b

• 18-11-2019 7:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭

Hi
    I live in North kildare region in a house with a big yard beside my house which had old run down house sheds where people lived years ago on it.
    Last summer I decided to do 1 of these sheds houses up. i have a good bit of the work done and was thinking of doing air b and b. Is there much demand for this in this area?
    How many months would I get to rent for?
    I would have no problem renting them but I would not like it full all the time.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,153 ✭✭✭Claw Hammer

wallycool wrote: »
    Hi
    I live in North kildare region (very near sallins) in a house with a big yard beside my house which had old run down house sheds where people lived years ago on it.
    Last summer I decided to do 1 of these sheds houses up. i have a good bit of the work done and was thinking of doing air b and b. Is there much demand for this in this area?
    How many months would I get to rent for?
    I would have no problem renting them but I would not like it full all the time.

Have you got planning permission for Air b n b?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Shed would need change of use I believe.

Planning headache I'd say....

• Registered Users Posts: 879 ✭✭✭Get Real

Hi
    I live in...a house with a big yard beside my

...house people lived years ago on it....

Last summer I decided to do 1 of these sheds houses up.

Sorry if I'm misinterpreting, but the house you live in, is the big yard beside that (and an old abandoned property) or actually part of your property boundary?

People lived years ago on it, on your property or abandoned land? Might be issues with proving rights etc and land registry maps. Again, sorry if you're talking about a yard on your property. Just the way it's phrased.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,223 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Sheds aren’t housing stock. Unless you’re livestock.

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭wallycool

They are old houses which i used as a place to put tools in . It was very run down and i decided to repair but not change structure .
    they are near my house .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,982 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

They are old houses which i used as a place to put tools in . It was very run down and i decided to repair but not change structure .
    they are near my house .

If they are houses which were previously inhabited and you are just renovating, as long as you are not making material changes to it, you don’t need planning. As for Airbnb, check the new regs, shouldn’t be a problem and could be a really nice earner, not sure if this would considered letting a whole property as you are living on the property and only letting part of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,576 ✭✭✭✭listermint

No idea what area your in. Very vague.

So hard to tell if there's a market for it.

Air BnB survives of three things really.

City locations. For obvious reasons.

Tourist locations beside touristy things

Large hotels proximity. Were wedding guests want to stay local and hotel is full.

kceire wrote: »
    Simple process.
    Apply for planning and carry out the works legally.

If it is a house, previously lived in, would not need planning to renovate it?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

'years ago' would imply they haven't been used as a dwelling in quite some time so planning may still be required.

Even if planning were not required for use as a dwelling, it does not mean change of use would not be required for short term letting.

Graham wrote: »
    'years ago' would imply they haven't been used as a dwelling in quite some time so planning may still be required.

Even if planning were not required for use as a dwelling, it does not mean change of use would not be required for short term letting.

After what time span does a house become not a house? I’ve bought and renovated properties that were derelict and hadn’t been lived in for years, and did not require planning.

• Advertisement

People did live in them why would I need planning?
    The though of planning never entered my head. I haven't changed the structure.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,359 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Dav010 wrote: »
    If it is a house, previously lived in, would not need planning to renovate it?

Depends. The use may have expired.
    Not enough info from the OP, they could be out houses ancillary to the main dwelling.

After what time span does a house become not a house? I’ve bought and renovated properties that were derelict and hadn’t been lived in for years, and did not require planning.

10 years comes to mind.
    Bdjsjsjs wrote: »
    Nope. Many stupid hurdles in the way. This is why we have a housing crisis

No it’s not.

kceire wrote: »
    10 years comes to mind.

No it’s not.

Seems to depend on degree of dereliction and whether house needs to be connected to mains/water. If already connected and in reasonable condition, I can’t find any definitive answer.

Seems to depend on degree of dereliction and whether house needs to be connected to mains/water. If already connected and in reasonable condition, I can’t find any definitive answer.

For sure. Depends on local planners and how active they are in knowing their areas.

In Dublin it would be picked up promptly as there’s a dedicated section for it but I’m not sure of the more rural LA’s.

But since we obey the law in this forum, you have to advise the planning route, or at least look into it.

There is running water and electricity in them . I will look into the planning to see if I will need it r not.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,808 ✭✭✭enricoh

North kildare, should be plenty of demand.
    We have a mobile home that we rent out to builders in our yard working locally in meath mon- fri.
    They’re happy with it compared to hotel eating chips every night etc etc

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

enricoh wrote: »
    North kildare, should be plenty of demand.
    We have a mobile home that we rent out to builders in our yard working locally in meath mon- fri.
    They’re happy with it compared to hotel eating chips every night etc etc

Do you have planning?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

Mod Note

You're not imagining thread shrinkage, a few off-topic posts (and replies) have been deleted.

Advertisement