Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

General Arcade & Retro Chat' Special Championship Edition

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,056 ✭✭✭Sparks43

Well the result is in.........

Super Mario Kart Player of the Year 2019 goes to........

Me :o

In the 19 years of the awards the winners have mostly been World Champion or at least medaled at a major event. To be in a list with them is an amazing honor.

Now my focus is to keep improving towards August and the next world championship.

This whole journey came initially from my being on this forum. The tweet from Playersxpo which the UK champion then enlisted me to the site was the start of it all. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,529 ✭✭✭✭briany

Bought a DMG-01 Gameboy at the start of the year just gone and have to say I've used it more than my PC. What a great little device. Many second-hand carts still floating around that can be got for a few euro in most cases and offer hours of fun in return. I got an import copy of Donkey Kong for about 3 euro, for example. Many people are of the opinion that it's the best game on the console, and it's hard to disagree.

Mad to think how I wrote the GB off back in the day as cheap mainly due to the monochrome graphics. The funny thing is that I'm now of the opinion that the monochrome graphics have insulated it from ageing in the same way as full colour handhelds have suffered from. The Gameboy was dated from its inception and I think this subconsciously forced most players to accept the graphical style as its own thing, whereas if you had a Game Gear (like I did), you were always conscious of the fact that you were often playing a crappier version of something on the MegaDrive.

Games collected so far

Mario Land 1, 2, 3
    Wario Land 2
    Tetris
    TMNT Fall of the Foot Clan
    Donkey Kong Land 1 + 3
    Mario's Picross
    Qix
    Dr. Mario
    Yoshi
    Game and Watch Gallery 2
    Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening
    Pokemon Yellow
    Kirby's Dreamland 1 + 2
    Gargoyle's Quest
    Boxxle
    Kwirk
    Top Ranking Tennis
    Solar Striker
    Metroid 2
    Mole Mania
    Mega Man: Dr Wily's Revenge
    Motocross Maniacs
    Bubble Ghost
    Bomberman GB
    Q*Bert
    Donkey Kong 94

Anything else that's good? Particularly anything that can be got relatively cheap. I know there are a few games like Final Fantasy and other Mega Man iterations, but they seem to fetch quite high prices.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,526 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

The GB is the most persistent and loved handheld in my collection, but I would lean towards the GB Pocket myself.
    The screen is so sharp and battery usage more efficient, not to mention a lovely slim form factor.
    Tons to collect, as you say, I used to love the version of Lemmings on the console back in the day, unplayable on the original screen, but the Pocket sharp display is perfect.
    As you say, so many colour screens of the era demand either modding or serious rose tinted goggles, aside from the Neo Geo Pocket Color which is awesome.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭Touch Fuzzy Get Dizzy

Happy new year you sexy bitches. Hope it’s a great one.

From your fave sporadic drunk,
    Atavan

Xoxo

Gossip girl
    My favourite tradition <3
    Hope everyone enjoyed the holidays and happy new year.

Got to play Chulip in the end on PS3, forgot it was on there, it's great craic

• Registered Users Posts: 4,056 ✭✭✭Sparks43

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    The GB is the most persistent and loved handheld in my collection, but I would lean towards the GB Pocket myself.
    The screen is so sharp and battery usage more efficient, not to mention a lovely slim form factor.
    Tons to collect, as you say, I used to love the version of Lemmings on the console back in the day, unplayable on the original screen, but the Pocket sharp display is perfect.
    As you say, so many colour screens of the era demand either modding or serious rose tinted goggles, aside from the Neo Geo Pocket Color which is awesome.

Definitely some Boulder Dash needs to be added to his collection though surely?

Gameboy version is very enjoyable.

Feels like a decade since I played the greatest game of all time :p

• Advertisement

I'm looking at getting an Advance SP sometime early in this new year. The frontlit 001 model, mind, as the backlit 101 models are more money than I'd want to spend.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,526 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Feels like a couple.of minutes ago you posted about it on this very thread... In the post before this one!

What game pushed the Gameboy the hardest?
    Was it the likes of Donkey Kong Land 3?
    Or is there some other insane jewel on the Nintendo portable?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,993 ✭✭✭Nerdkiller1991

What game pushed the Gameboy the hardest?
    Was it the likes of Donkey Kong Land 3?
    Or is there some other insane jewel on the Nintendo portable?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,793 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

The Gameboy and handheld gaming gets over looked so much. It's a fantastic system with an amazing library.

It's one of my favourite systems.

Speaking of Gameboy games. Currently playing links awakening remake and while it's good it's not a patch on the Gameboy original. The slowdown and 30 fps cap just totally afftects the game and it's just not where near as fun as the Gameboy original.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,793 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

As for good Gameboy games

Megaman 2 to 5 are all good but 5 in particular is amazing
    Final Fantasy Legend 1 to 3
    Trip World but good luck finding it cheap
    Kid Dracula
    Castlevania 2 Belmont's revenge
    Ninja Gaiden Shadow
    Chalvo 55
    Catrap
    Mole mania
    Bill and Ted
    Revenge of the gator
    Avenging spirit
    Sword of hope 1 and 2
    Balloon kid

Megaman games should be cheap from Japan as V in the west is insane.

Got the final fantasy legend games for peanuts from eBay a few years ago. They aren't rare at all.

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    The Gameboy and handheld gaming gets over looked so much. It's a fantastic system with an amazing library.

Speaking of Gameboy games. Currently playing links awakening remake and while it's good it's not a patch on the Gameboy original. The slowdown and 30 fps cap just totally afftects the game and it's just not where near as fun as the Gameboy original.

What I like about the Gameboy is the amount of pick up and play titles available. This suits me as the thought of having to put an hour or two into something like Fallout 4 makes me feel fed up with before I'd even sit down to it. Tetris is the very epitome of this. Mario's Picross or Mole Mania is the same thing - play a puzzle or a few screens, respectively and set it aside, only to pick it up again a half hour later. Do this over the course of a rainy weekend and you end up finding you've played a few hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,465 ✭✭✭Inviere

The slowdown and 30 fps cap just totally afftects the game and it's just not where near as fun as the Gameboy original.

That's a shortcoming of the Switch really though, the hardware just isn't up to the task (from a technical standpoint, it's basically a fancy tablet). While there's a way to go before I'll bother with Switch emulation (shader compilation stutter is a deal breaker for me, so I'm waiting on a better shader cache solution), I've seen already that games run a lot smoother when emulated, as opposed to the actual console itself. The Swamp is notoriously demanding for the Switch hardware, but on Yuzu, it's far smoother (6:11)..

• Registered Users Posts: 34,392 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Definitely raised an eyebrow the first time Link's Awakening slowed down alright, thought there was something wrong with my Switch! Just goes to show how odd it is to see in a big first party Nintendo title.

Actually I'll have to get back to that, took a break to finish off Valkyria Chronicles and one of my sisters also bought me Mario Odyssey which I'm only playing for the first time.

I actually have Valkyria Chronicles 4 and Batman Telltale Series ready to go on my Switch too, not to mention a fresh new Xbox One (bit late to that party!) sitting under my TV which has barely been played.

You'll all be sad to hear that I actually, for the first time in almost 20 years, caved and bought a new, modern television. I don't know who I am anymore. My CRTs all collectively emanated electrons of scorn when I carried it into the house.

Of course, the next logical step is to sell everything (the PVM/BVM displays can find a new home in my house) and play all your retro games on a 55" display, with lag measured in seconds, and in full screen, 16:9...
    Oh, and then post it to a FB group and call the cries of horror out as a bunch of haters....

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,102 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

o1s1n wrote: »
    Definitely raised an eyebrow the first time Link's Awakening slowed down alright, thought there was something wrong with my Switch! Just goes to show how odd it is to see in a big first party Nintendo title.

Actually I'll have to get back to that, took a break to finish off Valkyria Chronicles and one of my sisters also bought me Mario Odyssey which I'm only playing for the first time.

I actually have Valkyria Chronicles 4 and Batman Telltale Series ready to go on my Switch too, not to mention a fresh new Xbox One (bit late to that party!) sitting under my TV which has barely been played.

You'll all be sad to hear that I actually, for the first time in almost 20 years, caved and bought a new, modern television. I don't know who I am anymore. My CRTs all collectively emanated electrons of scorn when I carried it into the house.

Odyssey is fantastic!

Went and bought a PS4 Pro before Christmas to play Death Stranding and other exclusives I never got to play (having sold my PS4 previously) - it’s nice being late to the party and picking up decent games for cheap. :)

Speaking of displays, my beloved B&O MX4000 won’t come back to life for me - just doesn’t turn on anymore. Changed the 3A fuse in the plug to a new 5A but no luck, not sure if it has to be 3A? Probably going to bin it which will be a shame. Then one of my work monitors decides to short out on me and that’s fecked too.

The closest to retro gaming I got this Christmas was packing up my pcbs for their new home in the attic. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 6,179 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

Yeah I'm surprised at how many cheap good games there is, lots of good stuff in Smyths/Argos for €20. Horizon Zero Dawn, Uncharted Collection etc. Hard to believe the likes of Horizon is 2 years old now. It wasn't on my radar at the time but I knew it was well received, tempted to pick it up...but it would collect dust on my shelf along with Metro Redux, Doom and Wolfenstein II.

After getting NFS Heat for €45 on Black Friday and Ace Combat 7 for €28 I've decided to wait on games from now on. Unless it's GTA or Rockstar or the likes of Spyro remaster for €40.

In the last 2-3 years I've had the luxury of buying new games day 1 without thinking about it, now I'll wait for a discount, especially if it's a new IP or something I'm not sure about like Ace Combat or the new Star Wars game. It'll give me more time to complete what I have too.

DaveyDave wrote: »
    Yeah I'm surprised at how many cheap good games there is, lots of good stuff in Smyths/Argos for €20. Horizon Zero Dawn, Uncharted Collection etc. Hard to believe the likes of Horizon is 2 years old now. It wasn't on my radar at the time but I knew it was well received, tempted to pick it up...but it would collect dust on my shelf along with Metro Redux, Doom and Wolfenstein II.

After getting NFS Heat for €45 on Black Friday and Ace Combat 7 for €28 I've decided to wait on games from now on. Unless it's GTA or Rockstar or the likes of Spyro remaster for €40.

In the last 2-3 years I've had the luxury of buying new games day 1 without thinking about it, now I'll wait for a discount, especially if it's a new IP or something I'm not sure about like Ace Combat or the new Star Wars game. It'll give me more time to complete what I have too.

I’ve decided to go digital as much as I can so that January sale on at the minute is great timing. Picked up God of War, Yakuza 0, GT Sport, TLoU, Spider-Man, SotC, The Last Guardian and Dark Souls 3 all pretty cheap. Will pick up Tetris Effect too, just waiting to see if it goes on sale some time soon. Anyway, other than TLoU 2 and Ghost of Tsushima I’m sorted til PS5 comes out. :pac:

Master of the Universe

Andrew76 wrote: »
    Speaking of displays, my beloved B&O MX4000 won’t come back to life for me - just doesn’t turn on anymore. Changed the 3A fuse in the plug to a new 5A but no luck, not sure if it has to be 3A? Probably going to bin it which will be a shame.

Noooooo! :( that's awful.

Any standby light at all or is it completely dead?

o1s1n wrote: »
    Noooooo! :( that's awful.

Any standby light at all or is it completely dead?

None unfortunately. Changed the plug adapter itself (the power lead coming out of the TV is a two pin jobbie) but still no joy. Will hold onto both remotes for the time being and try sell them at some stage. Still have the Sony trini so that’s something. :)

Crazy how much stuff you can accumulate over the years.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 3,180 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dr Bob

30 fps minish cap? Eh , eh?

Screenshot_116.png
    Happy new year!

Good News:

Sega have finally acknowledged that Revenge of Death Adder exists and are rereleasing it. If you don't know what Revenge of Death Adder is, it's a golden Axe game that is so good it may melt cidermans heart and change his mind about the series.

Bad News:

It's being released as an expensive 1up arcade cabinet

The Royal Mail are issuing a collection of retro gaming inspired stamps, they look pretty nice and the collectors edition also comes with some nice bits and bobs.
    It also includes a Tomb Raider specific set of stamps and information sheet.

link

ap470-2-video-games-presentation-pack-visual.jpg

ap470-4-video-games-presentation-pack-outer.jpg

ap470-3-video-games-presentation-pack-inner.jpg

All homegrown british made games and not a bad one out of the lot of them. Wipeout might have aged poorly but it's a massively influential game.

It's a great idea. Pity Ireland couldn't really do something similar. Or maybe it could... would have to think about it.

More stuff from arcade one up.

https://twitter.com/cooltoy_23/status/1213975430363013122?s=19

Big buck hunter!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 5,380 Mod ✭✭✭✭Optimus Prime

All homegrown british made games and not a bad one out of the lot of them. Wipeout might have aged poorly but it's a massively influential game.

It's a great idea. Pity Ireland couldn't really do something similar. Or maybe it could... would have to think about it.

Dunno if they could do stamps with Irish games only , but they did a stamp collection a few years back with Mario etc on them. Think I still have them here somewhere. Those ones are much better though.

Master of the Universe

The Royal Mail are issuing a collection of retro gaming inspired stamps, they look pretty nice and the collectors edition also comes with some nice bits and bobs.

Nice find! Will definitely nab one of those collectors editions.
    Dunno if they could do stamps with Irish games only , but they did a stamp collection a few years back with Mario etc on them. Think I still have them here somewhere. Those ones are much better though.

Picked those Irish ones up myself, they were really lovely.

One of my far less cool (!) hobbies when I was younger was stamp collecting. My mam got me into it when I was about 6 or so. We actually managed to put together a really good, big collection over the years. Actually to be honest I blame it for sparking off the collector in me.

Haven't bought any in years mind you, apart from those Irish ones and a massive lot of Nazi stamps I got for the craic last year.

It was hilarious, I dropped out to my folks one evening and gave my mam an envelope full of stamps.

'Mam, do you mind adding these into our stamp album?'

'Sure!'

/opens envelope and spills hundreds of Hitler heads all over the dining table.

'WTF?!'

The stamp album now has a new double page spread. On the right page, our Queen Elizabeth stamps looking to the left and on the left, a page of oul Adolf giving her the stink eye to the right. :pac:

Well,
    VVVVVV and Super Hexagon are probably some of the highest profile Irish made games in recent years, unless you make a set of stamps about every game that used the Havok engine!

Would League of Legends count?

Maybe some Dave Perry made games but pretty sure he considers himself british despite being from our fair island and those games he worked on were made in Britain/US by a sizable team of non irish people.

Speed Freaks?

There was definitely an irish 8-bit studio making spectrum games at one point.

And what about Atari considering a lot of their arcade cabs were made here.

• Advertisement
    Master of the Universe

Well,
    VVVVVV and Super Hexagon are probably some of the highest profile Irish made games in recent years, unless you make a set of stamps about every game that used the Havok engine!

VVVVVV and Super Hexagon were Irish made? I did not know that.

I remember seeing Chipzel live years ago and thinking it was really interesting that an Irish person did the Super Hexagon soundtrack.. that would explain why.

Actually, I went with a few heads from here to see her supporting Anamanaguchi. I think it was in the Workmans club?

Did a search and of course there was a thread for it :D

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056099571

Advertisement