Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Famous Irish Graves -They are dead but where are they buried.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,713 ✭✭✭pappyodaniel

W B Yeats is buried in Drumcliff, about 5 miles north of Sligo town on the Bundoran Road. He was originally buried somewhere in France and then moved to Sligo, as was his wishes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,649 ✭✭✭✭CDfm

W B Yeats is buried in Drumcliff, about 5 miles north of Sligo town on the Bundoran Road. He was originally buried somewhere in France and then moved to Sligo, as was his wishes.

aha but there was a mix up over the tomb rental and the bones that came back may not be him at all !!!!!!!!!!!!

http://www.hudsonreview.com/PhillipsSp04.html

Morlar wrote: »
    Why would you politicise the thread in the first place by excluding some of the most famous Irishmen of all (on the basis that they were republicans) ? While also including politically active non-republicans such as those in the suffragette movement ?

Its for fun and folklore -now if you can find a famous and forgotten Irish Madame or Burlesque Artiste or Sportswoman or Cowboy, Bankrobber or Politician or Gigilo put them in.

No one is stopping you starting your own thread but this one is a Tabloid.

montezlola.jpg

The New York grave of Mrs Gilbert a/k/a Lola Montez from Limerick -one time lover of Franz List and mistress of King Ludwig of Bavaria. Also famous for her Spider Dance.

1224254200091_1.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭oncevotedff

CDfm wrote: »
    But you had

Ronald W Reagen 40th President of the United States

4244_109227839806.jpg

He has every right to be up there as a rockstar

Ballyporeen FTW

He wasn't Irish.

• Advertisement

rice.jpg
    Lena Rice buried in New Inn Co. Tipp. Wimbledon Singles winner 1890.

I didn't realise we were supposed to do a little bio so I've added it here;
    Helena "Lena" Rice, was born on the 21st June 1866, the second youngest of the seven children of Spring Rice and his wife, Anna. The family home was at Marlhill half a mile from New Inn, County Tipperary. She had two brothers, Henry and Spring and four sisters Bess, Connie, Annie and Lucy. Lena learned to play tennis at home against her sister Annie. She also played in Cahir Lawn Tennis Club where most of her opponents were men. Her first major competition was the Irish Championships at the Fitzwilliam Lawn Tennis Club in May 1889. Lena lost narrowly in two sets to Blanche Hillyard- five times Wimbledon Champion- in the semi-final. Lena won the Mixed Doubles, partnering Willoughby Hamilton against Mrs Hillyard and Henry Stone. In June 1889 she competed at the Lawnsdowne Handicap Challenge where she was runner up in the singles tournament and then traveled to England with her sister to compete at Wimbledon for the first time. Lena battled hard to the final but was once again beaten by Blanche Hillyard. In the 1890 Irish Championships, Lena lost the women's singles final to Louise Martin. In Wimbledon she had little difficulty reaching the final where her opponent was May Jacks of Great Britain, her semi final opponent of the previous year.The final was played on the 4th of July 1890, with Lena winning 6-4, 6-1 to become the first Irish woman to win Wimbledon. She retired from competitive tennis immediately after her Wimbledon victory, aged 24. Lena lived out the rest of her life in genteel poverty folowing the deaths of her parents. She died of tuberculosis on the 21st of June 1907, her 41st birthday.

He wasn't Irish.

OK -you have forced me to dig deep to find a really famous Tipperary person.Fr Matthew founder of the Total Abstinence Assiciation was born near Golden in Co Tipperary.

Shane McGowan is a Tipperary Man who probably wouldnt see eye to eye with him.

220px-Theobald_Mathew.jpg

10730339_111281879354.jpg

10730339_111281871194.jpg

Buried in St Joesphs Cemetary Cork City (a cemetary he founded following catholic emancipation) . There are statues to him in Cork and Dublin and the witch capital of the world Salem .

He was also an anti slavery supporter and lent his name to that cause.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

There's also one in the Claddagh in Galway which would have been one of the poorest areas in the town in the 19th Century and thus home to a lot of alcoholics. Sometimes statues seem to be just plonked down anywhere, and sometimes their placement can tell us a lot about what people were thinking when they did it.

William Burke
    [SIZE=-1]1792 - 1829
    [SIZE=-1]Resurrectionist and Murderer. An Irish navvy who came to Scotland, to work on the Union Canal. When his work on the canal was finished, he moved into Edinburgh taking up lodgings in Tanner's Close in the home of William Hare (d. c.1860). The pair frequented the drinking dens of the Old Town but soon turned to the lucrative occupation of obtaining bodies for Dr Robert Knox (1791 - 1862), the anatomist, based in Edinburgh University's Medical School, for which they were paid £7 10/- each. Initially the pair are said to have satisfied their employer by digging up freshly buried corpses, but they quickly resorted to murder, luring victims to their lodging house. Here they plied their victims with drink before smothering them. They were captured after killing 16 people, the so-called 'West Port Murders'. Only Burke stood trial in the High Court in Edinburgh, because Hare had turned King's evidence and testified against his partner. He was convicted and hanged in front of a large crowd in Edinburgh's Lawnmarket. Burke's body was subject to a public dissection by Professor Alexander Monro (1773 - 1859) and curiously a wallet made from his tanned skin remains preserved in the Anatomy Museum of the Royal College of Surgeons in Edinburgh, along with his death-mask.
    [/SIZE]

He was part of an infamous duo Burke and Hare from Ireland -who with his partner and the two mens wags killed 17 people. He gave his name toa killing method known as burking meaning getting someone drunk and smothering them. Hare his co-killer went Kings evidence and only Burke was convicted and the women also went free.

burkes-skeleton.jpg

William Burkes skeleton may be seen at Edinburgh Anatomy Museum - Edinburg College of Medicine and Vetinary.The College of Surgeons have his deathmask, and several items like a wallet made from his skin.

Below is the College where his skeleton is located.

chancellors_bldg.jpg
    [/SIZE][SIZE=-1][/SIZE]

OK -you have forced me to dig deep to find a really famous Tipperary person.

Next time I'm in Clonmel I'll get a photo of Frank Patterson's grave.

Shane McGowan is probably still technically alive.:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

Great thread. I don't know why I didn't think of this one before. Admiral David Beatty of the WW.I. Battle of Jutland fame and I include here especially for McArmalite/Rebel Heart/MarchDub etc. Saved us all from having to speak German. The family had an Irish home at Borodale not far from Enniscorthy but I don't know whether he could be described as a son of Ireland. George V honoured him with several titles for his service including 1st Earl Beatty, Viscount Borodale of Wexford, Baron Beatty of the North Sea and of Brooksby. Despite having left Ireland many years ago the family still retains its Irish title and the latest Viscount Borodale was born as recently as 1973 and sports the names Sean David Beatty - so Irish it is. Anyway Admiral Beatty is buried in St.Paul's Cathederal.
    6207_1023622412.jpgbeattyadmiralsi.jpg

Adm. David Beatty
    Memorial

Birth: 1871
    Death: 1936

British Naval Admiral. He was born on 17 January 1871 in Cheshire, of Anglo-Irish parentage. He entered the training establishment HMS Britannia, Dartmouth at the age of just under thirteen, and joined his first ship HMS Alexandria just before his fifteenth birthday. He served with distinction in the Sudan from 1896 to 1898, and it was in Khartoum in 1898 that a bottle of champagne famously was tossed ashore from Beatty's gunboat, the Fateh, to a grateful Winston Churchill. Beatty then served in China during the Boxer Rising of 1900, during which he was seriously wounded in action ashore, and promoted to captain at the age of only 29. He was further promoted to Rear Admiral on the first day of 1910, to become the youngest Flag officer in the Royal Navy, not of royal rank, since Nelson and Rodney in the eighteenth century. He subsequently refused the appointment of second-in-command of the Atlantic Fleet, for which he was put on half-pay. When Winston Churchill became First Lord of the Admiralty in 1911, he chose Beatty as his Naval Secretary, and this was a successful appointment which lasted until 1913 when Churchill appointed Beatty commander of the Battle Cruiser Squadron. He served with success in the battles of Heligoland Bight in August 1914 and Dogger Bank in January 1915. At the battle of Jutland in May 1916, his bold and aggressive tactics arguably led to what became regarded as a tactical victory for the German High Seas Fleet in terms of losses, but a strategic victory for the Royal Navy as the enemy were discouraged thenceforth from attempting any further major fleet offensives. When HMS Indefatigible and then HMS Queen Mary blew up, Beatty, carrying his flag on HMS Lion, turned to her captain and remarked "There seems to be something wrong with our bloody ships today." Captain Chatfield reported that this was a remark which required neither comment nor answer. Beatty's third cousin, Commander Barry Bingham, won a rare naval Victoria Cross at Jutland. On 21 November 1918 Beatty accepted the surrender of the German Fleet, by then anchored off Aberlady Bay in the Firth of Forth, Scotland. At 1100 Beatty signalled to Admiral von Reuter "The German Flag will be hauled down at sunset today, Thursday, and will not be hoisted again without permission." On 3 April 1919 Beatty was appointed an Admiral of the Fleet (as was Jellicoe on the same day) and effective from 1 Nov 1919, First Sea Lord and Chief of the Naval Staff, which he remained until 1927. He was granted a peerage and a gift of £100,000 for his services to his country. Towards the end of his life, a motoring accident and then a serious riding accident afflicted him. These, together with his insistence, against doctors' orders, on attending the lengthy funerals of Jellicoe and then of King George V possibly hastened his death which occurred at his home in Grosvenor Square, London, on 11 March 1936. He was interred in the crypt of St Paul's Cathedral next to Jellicoe and close to Nelson.
    (bio by: Ronald Land)

Burial:
    Saint Pauls Cathedral
    London
    Greater London, England
    Plot: The crypt, next to Jellicoe

http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=gr&GRid=6207

Next time I'm in Clonmel I'll get a photo of Frank Patterson's grave.

That would be a good addition plus a bit on his claim to fame as a Tenor.
    Great thread but I'm damned if I can think of anybody - give me time though! :D

I accept assasins , criminals,sex industry workers or madame, bootleggers & defrocked nuns and priests as well but if there is an Irish footnote like a hanging judge, ships captain or town or school founder feel free.

Mary Mallon a/k/a Typhoid Mary Cook and walking plague and typhoid carrier was from Co Tyrone. She is buried in St Raymonds The Bronx NYC.

2166_121355982064.jpg

With no idea she was infected she worked as a cook spreading the disease

typhoid_mary.jpg

In custody as a public health risk under an assumed name she got work as a hospital cook infecting 25 and killing 2 (total fatalities 3).

typhoid%20mary.jpg

Baker describes the emergence of Mallon from the closet:
    She came out fighting and swearing, both of which she could do with appalling efficiency and vigor. I made another effort to talk to her sensibly and asked her again to let me have the specimens, but it was of no use. By that time she was convinced that the law was wantonly persecuting her, when she had done nothing wrong. She knew she had never had typhoid fever; she was maniacal in her integrity. There was nothing I could do but take her with us. The policemen lifted her into the ambulance and I literally sat on her all the way to the hospital; it was like being in a cage with an angry lion.5

Incarcerated from 1907 and released in 1910 on condition she give up her career of a cook - she lied.

Read her story here.
    http://history1900s.about.com/od/1900s/a/typhoidmary.htm

Where do you get them from? Typhoid Mary....I'll be having nightmares about her tonight - yuck!! :D

Where do you get them from? Typhoid Mary....I'll be having nightmares about her tonight - yuck!! :D

Its my tabloid mind -with a name like mary she had to be irish - I read footnotes :D

i am sure there is an executed policeman or gangster out there waiting to be found.

CDfm you should start looking at local papers from about a hundred years, you'd love some of the stories that they have. Also there was a history of County Sligo written in the late nineteenth century by a priest/bishop which was full of the sort of gossipy/tabloid stories you're looking for. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,670 ✭✭✭✭Wolfe Tone

Just to be clear, what is the criteria for a persons grave to be shown here? I have a few in mind, such as Wolfe Tone....

MUSSOLINI wrote: »
    Just to be clear, what is the criteria for a persons grave to be shown here? I have a few in mind, such as Wolfe Tone....

You have to be a Protestant like Wolfe Tone? :D

I think the point is to talk about people who are not well remembered by history, as well as to look for the more tabloidy elements as CDfm puts it. Politics isn't out of the question but everyone already knows who Wolfe Tone is. On the topic of politicians I wonder does anyone know where Willie Redmond was buried? I'm fairly sure he was killed during WWI. Thomas Kettle too.

Michael John O'Leary of Inchigella won a Victoria Cross in 1915.He stormed a position and shot 8 Germans.

VCOleary.jpg
    "A machine gun was O’Leary’s mark. Before the Germans could manage to slew round and meet the charging men, O’Leary picked off the whole of the five of the machine gun crew. Leaving some of his mates to come up and capture the gun, he dashed forward to the second barricade, which the Germans were quitting in a hurry and shot three more.
    "Some of the enemy who couldn’t get away quick enough faced our men but very little bayonet work was needed. The majority did not wait and we picked them off a good lot of them from our trenches as they left their holes.
    "I had a job keeping my men in the trench. "Why can’t we go across?" they shouted at me and I wanted to go as much as they did. We soon understood how necessary it was to keep up the steady fire. We actually lost more men than the storming party.

His father Daniel was a fervent republican and was non-plussed by his sons actions, rheumatism was no excuse in West Cork at the time.
    "I am surprised he didn't do more. I often laid out twenty men myself with a stick coming from Macroom Fair, and it is a bad trial of Mick that he could kill only eight, and he having a rifle and bayonet"

and this beauty

“Mr. O’Leary, senior, father of the famous V.C., speaking in the Inchigeela district, urged the young men to join the British army. ‘If you don’t’, he told them, ‘the Germans will come here and will do to you what the English have been doing for the last seven hundred years’.” (excerpted from Frank Gallagher's Four Glorious Years, 1953. He wrote under the pen name David Hogan.)

He finished the War as A Captain and married a Ballavourna girl and headed to Canada as a Policeman.

Canada didnt go well and he was on trial twice for helping illegal immigrants etc and returned to Ireland and onto London.

He is from the same area as Peader O'Laoighaire of Mo Sceal Fein fame so could be a relative.In World War II he became a Major. After the War he became a builder.

8480928_1078685571.jpg

He died in 1961 and is buried in Paddington.

• Advertisement

There are no hard and fast criteria -but this thread is for quirky and forgotten people & the footnotes.A bit more anthropological history if you like.It was a spinoff of looking for Mr Charlotte Bronte.

I have another thread on executions here

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055944797

Matthew Tone - Theobalds brother would be a fit as would his wife or son as would Thomas Emmet brother of Robert graves be here.

The Parkeeper in Stephens Green in 1916 -tea with Countess Markiewicz during the Rising & saved his ducks - who was he ??

The thing is that it is something that someone else will get a kick out of or it is something of interest.

I suppose its for people who may not merit a thread in their own right but as a genre do.

George Charles Bingham aka the 3rd Earl of Lucan of the Charge of the Light Brigade fame and of the infamous Sligo/Mayo dynasty lies at peace in Laleham, Middlesex. Far from the Balaclava battlefield of 1854 where many died in the most heroic charge/cock-up in British military history which was largely the fault of Lucan and his commanding officer Lord Raglan. Still the spin doctors had a field day and managed to turn utter fiasco into a PR triumph for the Empire. Anyway another Irishman resting far from the old sod.

9000836_108837183168.jpg

Birth: Apr. 16, 1800
    Death: Nov. 10, 1888

British Army Officer. George Charles Bingham was born in London, the eldest son of the second Earl of Lucan and his wife, Lady Elizabeth Belasyse, the daughter of Earl Fauconberg, who had been married to and divorced from the Duke of Norfolk. Lord Bingham, as he was known until his father's death in 1839, was educated at Westminster School. When he was sixteen, a commision was bought for him in the 6th. Regiment of Foot. Within ten years, he had reached the rank of Lieutenant-Colonel in command of the 17th. Lancers. In the same year (1826), he was elected to the House of Commons, representing County Mayo in Ireland, where his family were landowners; he held this seat until 1830. In 1829, he married Anne, the youngest of the seven daughters of the sixth Earl of Cardigan. They were to have two sons and four daughters. Lucan became a Colonel in 1841 and a Major-General in 1851. In February 1854, when the British Army, under the command of Lord Raglan, was about to be sent to the Crimea, he was given command of the Cavalry Divison, which had two brigades: the Heavy Brigade under James Yorke Scarlett, and the Light Brigade under the seventh Earl of Cardigan, Lucan's brother-in-law, with whom he did not enjoy a good relationship. On the 25th. October, the Russians advanced on Balaclava and captured the redoubts, which had been held by Turkish troops. The Russians were then driven back by the Charge of the Heavy Brigade, after which Lucan placed the Heavy Brigade on the slopes. He was waiting for the approach of the Infantry, when Captain Nolan brought him the message: "Lord Raglan wishes the cavalry to advance rapidly to the front. Follow the enemy and try to prevent the enemy carrying away the guns. Troop of horse artillery may accompany. French cavalry is on your left. Immediate." The intention was for the attack to be on the Causeway Heights and the redoubts, but Lucan understood it, quite wrongly, to mean that the advance was to be along the North valley, at the end of which the defeated Russian cavalry was drawn up behind twelve guns, with other Russian troops on the heights at either side. Although he realised "the uselessness of such an attack, and the danger attending it", Lucan felt bound to obey, and sent the Light Brigade forward, with two regiments of the Heavy Brigade to cover its retirement. The Light Brigade was reduced from 673 to 195 men, the two Heavy regiments suffered, and Lucan was wounded in the leg. He was recalled and returned to England at the beginning of March 1855. He applied for a court-martial, which was refused, but was vindicated by the House of Lords. He had no further military employment, but was promoted to Lieutenant-General in 1858, General in 1865, and Field-Marshal in 1887. Also in 1858, he proposed the wording of the clause which enabled practising Jews, who could not take the Parliamentary Oath, to sit in the Houses of Parlaiment. In the 1968 film, "The Charge of the Light Brigade", Lord Lucan was played by Harry Andrews. The fourth and fifth Earls are buried on either side of him, along with their Countesses. The sixth Earl was a minister in the 1945-51 Labour Government, and the seventh Earl (b. 1934), who has not been seen since 1974, was found guilty in absentia of the murder of his children's nanny, Mrs. Sandra Rivett, and the attempted murder of his wife. (bio by: Iain MacFarlaine)

Burial:
    All Saints Churchyard
    Laleham
    Surrey, England

http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=gr&GRid=9000836

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,670 ✭✭✭✭Wolfe Tone

Excellent stuff. I will see what I can think of!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,442 ✭✭✭Firetrap

Eilís Dillon

Eilís Dillon (1920–1994) was an Irish author of 50 books, translated into 15 languages.

She was born in 1920 in Galway, Ireland. Her family was involved in Irish revolutionary politics; her uncle Joseph Mary Plunkett was a signatory of the 1916 Proclamation and was executed after the Easter Rising.

She started to produce children's books, in Irish, and later in English in the 1940s, including a string of successful teenage novels, some of which (The Lost Island, The Island of Horses) were still in print 50 years later.

In the 1960s she moved to Rome. Following her husband's death in 1970 she published her most successful historical novel, Across the Bitter Sea (1973), and in 1974 married the American-based critic and professor Vivian Mercier.

Eilís Dillon died in 1994 and is buried beside her second husband in Clara, Co. Offaly; a prize in her memory is given annually as part of the Bisto Book of the Year Awards.

midlands041.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

ahem JD

I thought the Earl of Lucan was buried in Huy, Belgium :D:D

Patrick Sarsfield was the Jacobite Earl of Lucan

Oscar Wilde is Jim Morrisons neighbour at Pere LaChaise in Paris.

wildeoscarfinga.jpg

Proust and Chopin are buried there too.The place is fairly huge with probably 100,000 plus graves and an estimated 1 milliom burials.So it is not exclusive.

Wildes funeral has been described as "cheap".

His wife Constance, had ownership of his works and refused to give him money as long as he saw Lord Alfred Douglas. The reason for this is likely to be to prevent a civil suit by his father the Marquess of Queensbury.

She refered to him as her "misguided husband" and they never divorced and predeceased him in 1898 and is buried in Genoa.

180px-Costance_Mary_Lloyd_tomb.JPG

Nice bit of info. Oscar Wildes' grave is covered in a torrent of graffiti. Stranger still is the amount of people who kiss the grave with lipstick. I dont really understand it.

The cemetary is definitely worth a visit.

If you thought Jack Lynch was the first Lynch from Cork to run a country -ahem you havent heard of this lady Elisa Lynch

220px-ElizaLynch_tomb.JPG

Elisa Lynch (1835-1886) was the mistress of Francisco Lopez President of Paraguay,he was ousted and killed in a Civil War/ brazillian war along with her 15 year old son.

Dying in Paris in the 1990s Paraguay claimed her body and her tomb is her at the Recoleta cementery in Asuncion - Paraguay

http://www.irlandeses.org/dilab_lynchea.htm

225px-Elizalynch.jpg

Now the Lynch Clan includes Che Guervara
    You might think that even George Orwell would have no cause to fret about the World Cup reigniting tensions from a war that ended 140 years ago. Au contraire. If not for its winners, the War of the Triple Alliance remains a live issue for its losers. Indeed, as recently as last November, this newspaper carried reports of an event at which Paraguay’s vice-president called on Brazil to apologise for its brutality in 1870.

That call was made, curiously, at the launch of a book by an Irishman about an Irishwoman. The former was diplomat Michael Lillis, the latter Eliza Lynch: whose dramatic life has spawned several other accounts, including one by Anne Enright. Born in Cork, Lynch left Ireland in the fateful year of 1847 and, by extraordinary twists of fate, rose to wealth and fame as de facto “Queen of Paraguay”, until the aforementioned war set her on a reverse trajectory, back to poverty.

In her lifetime, she was regarded by Paraguayan critics as a mere prostitute who had seduced the country’s leader-in-waiting while he was living in Paris and then followed him home to become the unmarried mother of his six children. She was also blamed for provoking him into the disastrous war. But history has been rather kinder to her.

The Lillis book was unveiled in her former home in Asunción, where the regard for “La Lynch”, as she was once known, is such that she is commemorated both by the mausoleum to which her remains were eventually repatriated, and by the name of a major city avenue. Her posthumous popularity does not appear to be waning either. More than 1,000 packed the house for the book launch, with more standing outside.

There are fascinating parallels between Lynch and another Eliza – Gilbert – who was among her contemporaries. Gilbert became better known to the world as the “Spanish” dancer, Lola Montez, but she was born in Limerick (or possibly Sligo). She too was famously beautiful, and also charmed her way into high places – the affections of King Ludwig I of Bavaria in particular – and a low reputation; before, also like Lynch, coming to the sad end that 19th-century morality demanded.

It might be interesting too – in an entirely different way – to compare the Queen of Paraguay with another Lynch – Che Guevara – whose grandmother came from Galway. The influence of the extended Lynch family on Latin American politics is surely worth a PhD thesis, if one hasn’t been written already. In any case, Eliza Lynch is now a national heroine in her adopted country, where her last duties included burying her husband and a teenage son – both killed in the war’s decisive battle – with her own hands.

http://www.google.ie/#q=jack+lynch%27s+grave&hl=en&prmd=bo&ei=atExTMHLO5CQjAer1IHDBQ&start=10&sa=N&fp=d40c5b9049fc65b6

On the topic of politicians I wonder does anyone know where Willie Redmond was buried?I'm fairly sure he was killed during WWI.

Loker, Belgium. He died of wounds during the battle for Messines Ridge. Not my photo but here is the headstone. Redmond was originally buried in the grounds of a convent which is now gone. The CWGC wanted to move his body into the nearby Loker CWGC but the family refused permission so his grave now stands rather oddly in the middle of a field about 50 yards away from the cemetery.

locre_hospice-3.jpg
    Thomas Kettle too.

No known grave. Commemorated on the Thiepval Memorial.

http://www.cwgc.org/search/casualty_details.aspx?casualty=798121

• Advertisement

....and the seventh Earl (b. 1934), who has not been seen since 1974, was found guilty in absentia of the murder of his children's nanny, Mrs. Sandra Rivett, and the attempted murder of his wife. (bio by: Iain MacFarlaine)

Hasn't his son been attempting to have his father declared dead and so inherit the title? There was an article in the papers many years ago about ground rents in Castlebar being owed to the estate.

Advertisement