Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Times when you were made to feel really self conscious?

• 20-10-2020 9:17pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,355 ✭✭✭

Horrible.

No I meant to say,

HORRIBLE!!

You know when you get that prickly heat, face goes super red, the air feels like it's become heavy like glue, or molasses.

AW LAWD SAVE ME!!

lol - gotta hate it.

One time I was dancing at an outdoor festival and basically started losing my shit to this awesome remix that came on.

After a minute or so, I noticed there seemed to be some source of amusement emanating from my general area, based on responses of the other dancers to me - laughing, in some cases pointing and laughing etc.

Then I noticed there was this overweight female dancer stood behind me, flossing - like this,

tenor.gif

Basically clowning me in front of everyone.

This had been going on unnoticed for about 60 seconds.

Hell even a security guard looking on was having a good laugh at my expense.

I wanted to fucking crawl out of there.

Feel free to post times when you made some else feel really self conscious also, so we can hear both sides.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 412 ✭✭Alejandro68

When I first arrived here and my English wasn't that great. I struggled to understand conversations and there was always one person in the group who made fun of me for it .I have come a long way since then, and if I met them today would give them a run for their money.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,457 ✭✭✭✭Kylta

To be truthful I don't get embarrassed I leave that to other people

• Registered Users Posts: 4,323 ✭✭✭Homelander

I work in live broadcasting and once I forgot how to say the work conservation, I literally attempted it several times which made it worse, it was horrendous and everyone was laughing at me. You could actually hear studio laughter over me trying to say it.

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭Lockheed

Driving test. So nervous I hit a bush parking up and my instructor that really pissed me off (wasn't talking to him at the time) was watching me and saw it. I just wanted to fall into a bottomless hole.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,355 ✭✭✭bo0li5eumx12kp

Lockheed wrote: »
    Driving test. So nervous I hit a bush parking up and my instructor that really pissed me off (wasn't talking to him at the time) was watching me and saw it. I just wanted to fall into a bottomless hole.

Did the air feel like molasses?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,489 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

Homelander wrote: »
    I work in live broadcasting and once I forgot how to say the work conservation, I literally attempted it several times which made it worse, it was horrendous and everyone was laughing at me. You could actually hear studio laughter over me trying to say it.

Still struggling in that general area I see. :)

#thoughtsandprayers.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,323 ✭✭✭Homelander

Ahaha! I won't even edit it, that's too good.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,568 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

I had an interview today over Skype and there were 4 people on the panel throwing questions at me, right from the off it was a nightmare. 45 minutes of Gestapo style interrogation. It's so weird having to deal with the gaze of 4 people for that long, even remotely.
    Probably the most self conscious I've felt is years ago when I've gone to parties, been passed a joint, and then being stoned out of my head in a room where I don't actually know anyone and I don't know what to do with myself or where to even look, and then not even knowing where I am or where I should go or where the exit or toilet is and still trying to play it cool. It doesn't get much worse than that.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,497 ✭✭✭auspicious

When I realised my use ( purchase power ) of animal exploitation was so intrinsic to my daily routine that I was forced to accept my conditioned values didn't actually align with who I wanted to be.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭Antares35

auspicious wrote: »
    When I realised my use ( purchase power ) of animal exploitation was so intrinsic to my daily routine that I was forced to accept my conditioned values didn't actually align with who I wanted to be.

Cognitive dissonance?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,497 ✭✭✭auspicious

Antares35 wrote: »
    Cognitive dissonance?

Inconsistent with the status quo, absolutely.

auspicious wrote: »

Antares35 wrote: »
    Cognitive dissonance?

Cognitive dissonance - is technically a synonym for, lack of self awareness?

So, lack of self awareness = potential for induction of that horrible self consciousness?
    Inconsistent with the status quo, absolutely.

As in, feeling like you stick out from the crowd and the air turns into molasses?

Is that what we're getting at here?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,831 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

First job as a web developer. Probably my second or third day. I was taking over a project from someone who had already left the company, and there was a standing appointment for two people from the client company to come in for a meeting. The account manager was unavailable for some reason, so at the last minute they asked me to meet them alone. I hadn’t a clue about the project, the client, my own company, anything.

I was dressed on the scruffy side of casual, and they turned up in business suits, so I immediately felt out of place. I was alone with them in a room and they were asking questions i had no idea what the answers to were, requesting things I had no idea if we should be doing or not.

My mouth went completely dry - felt like it was made of sand. My voice became this broken, squeaky croak - my throat felt tight, closing in. I felt my face getting red and hot. My hands were shaking and I had to force every word out individually. I just wanted it all to end, for the ground to swallow me up, but the meeting seemed to go on forever. I seriously contemplated just getting up and running out without saying a word.

In the end they thanked me and left. Despite my absolute panic and embarrassment, they acted completely normal - never showed a single sign that they knew that I was incredibly uncomfortable. Which actually made it worse, because I kept asking myself “is this really happening? How can’t they see that this person is falling start in front of them?”

But no, the air didn’t feel like molasses. The air was fine, like a normal gaseous mixture of nitrogen, oxygen and carbon dioxide.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,807 ✭✭✭ShatterAlan

All I can say is don't "quietly" sing along to the song you are listening to in your earphones in a crowded lecture theatre. You CAN be heard.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,387 ✭✭✭Badly Drunk Boy

Horrible.

No I meant to say,

HORRIBLE!!

You know when you get that prickly heat, face goes super red, the air feels like it's become heavy like glue, or molasses.

AW LAWD SAVE ME!!

As in, feeling like you stick out from the crowd and the air turns into molasses?

Is that what we're getting at here?
    Do we even have molasses in this part of the world?!? I know you can get Lyle's Black Treacle in Tesco...

• Registered Users Posts: 34,283 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Do we even have molasses in this part of the world?!? I know you can get Lyle's Black Treacle in Tesco...

Any time I hear the word molasses all I can think of is:

She had a west coast strut
    That was sweet as molasses
    But what really knocked
    Me out was her cheap sunglasses

First job as a web developer. Probably my second or third day. I was taking over a project from someone who had already left the company, and there was a standing appointment for two people from the client company to come in for a meeting. The account manager was unavailable for some reason, so at the last minute they asked me to meet them alone. I hadn’t a clue about the project, the client, my own company, anything.

I was dressed on the scruffy side of casual, and they turned up in business suits, so I immediately felt out of place. I was alone with them in a room and they were asking questions i had no idea what the answers to were, requesting things I had no idea if we should be doing or not.

My mouth went completely dry - felt like it was made of sand. My voice became this broken, squeaky croak - my throat felt tight, closing in. I felt my face getting red and hot. My hands were shaking and I had to force every word out individually. I just wanted it all to end, for the ground to swallow me up, but the meeting seemed to go on forever. I seriously contemplated just getting up and running out without saying a word.

In the end they thanked me and left. Despite my absolute panic and embarrassment, they acted completely normal - never showed a single sign that they knew that I was incredibly uncomfortable. Which actually made it worse, because I kept asking myself “is this really happening? How can’t they see that this person is falling start in front of them?”

But no, the air didn’t feel like molasses. The air was fine, like a normal gaseous mixture of nitrogen, oxygen and carbon dioxide.

That's rough kid (and I been there also), but if the air didn't feel like molasses then no dice.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,831 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

That's rough kid (and I been there also), but if the air didn't feel like molasses then no dice.

You run a strict regime. No compromise. Good luck with your search for molassesy air.

You run a strict regime. No compromise. Good luck with your search for molassesy air.

Well I mean, I guess I could settle perhaps for a good thick adhesive oil of some nature?

10w30 Castrol Syntec® Motor oil or equivalent may be sufficient.

Something of a heavier viscous nature than regular atmosphere - I may be able to work with.

• Advertisement

Let me give another example, try to get the ball rolling.

This was where I INDUCED self consciousness, mmmkay?

I was stood in a check out aisle in the grocery store with this big ass basket full with groceries.

Some chick came up from behind me who had just one candy bar and asked to skip ahead; she was the real uppity self entitled type (and hot) also and she asked me in a kind of bitchy way so - I just blanked her - lol.

When I turned about after a few seconds to check out my handy work, her face was tomato red (she's probably used to being able to make dudes do whatever she wants), and out of pity at being made to look so humiliated in front of the other shoppers, another adjacent cashier offered her to come to the front of his line.

There were three aisles all full with shoppers and basically everyone heard me openly disrespect this princess.
    This seemed to elicit a respectable degree of amusement but LAWD - the air turned into heavy set, Cuban style molasses.

You could have cut it with a knife it was so thick.

"Could have cut the air with a knife"

That's self consciousness, right?

Have I defined matters correctly?

Or is it just the potential for confrontation?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,654 ✭✭✭ablelocks

Posted before, but still think of this now and again. And cringe.
    Summer, 1985, just before I started secondary school so I was only just gone 12. We went to visit a friend of my mothers in Howth (might as well have been Monaco to us culchies). Go in there to my son and his friends says she, they're watching live aid (they had taped it. A Video Recorder!).

The other boys were about a year older, dressed in standard mid-80's teen clothes. To me, they were cooler than any kid I had ever seen.

I was dressed in :

Hand knitted, cream Aran Jumper, burgundy school type trousers and black patent shoes. With white socks.

2 hours I was in that room. They couldn't hide their shock. I assume they had heard of culchies, but here was a live one in their sitting room. I don't recall any conversation, just 6 pairs of eyes trying their hardest to keep watching live aid. Every so often I'd catch one of those pairs of eyes looking at me.

More pitied than scorned, but the same result

• Registered Users Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭wally1990

That is absolutely awful, shocking and unfair to a new hire

Okay, I've determined it.

It's understanding has actually come into practice only relatively recently and is an area of physics characterized as "plasma physics".
    Plasma, in physics, an electrically conducting medium in which there are roughly equal numbers of positively and negatively charged particles, produced when the atoms in a gas become ionized. It is sometimes referred to as the fourth state of matter, distinct from the solid, liquid, and gaseous states.

https://www.britannica.com/science/plasma-state-of-matter

In states of high tension where the air goes "thick", strong neural depolarizations (electromagnetism) associated with powerful emotional states induce ionization of surrounding gaseous elements, giving them a thick, visceral (viscous) property and feeling.

= the air feels like molasses.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭Church on Tuesday

When I first arrived here and my English wasn't that great. I struggled to understand conversations and there was always one person in the group who made fun of me for it .I have come a long way since then, and if I met them today would give them a run for their money.

What a vile person.

Advertisement