Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

3 Broadband coverage map is up

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Its clunky in use and is a tad optimistic in my opinion ...showing cells at their absolute maximum extent before breathing kicks in .

• Registered Users Posts: 8,819 ✭✭✭rymus

very slow and doesn't seem to get on too well with firefox at all. Boo urns!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Eurorunner

Do vodaphone or 02 have an equivalent checker? If so, can someone provide a link please.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

The map doesn't work well in anything as far as I can see. We got this and the guy in the store was trying to use the map and it wouldn't work properly for him.

Anyway we got it and although we are miles inside the coverage area, we only get one bar reception and fall outside coverage if it isn't near a window. Speeds are 50KB/s max, usually about 25KB/s. Pings are 300ms.

Software installation is a breeze and it frees up the phone line which is the main advantage of this for my parents so as it is cheaper and faster than dial up, they'll stick with it.

http://dispatch.mapflow.com/lav3-irl/Dispatch/Map_3188097.jpg

Head west from Tullamore to find it then enable the 3G data thing. As you can see, we are miles inside the coverage area yet we only get one bar. I hope this can be used as a guide for other people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭Urban Weigl

Works well enough for me in Safari 3 public beta. I'm picking up a 3 signal many miles outside of the coverage indicated, but only in the attic. Only getting 220kbps though.

I wish they'd just let you download the entire map as a high resolution PNG.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Works for me fine on Firefox. A bit slow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

My signal strength varies between none and 3 bars and I can get a max of 1300 kbps even on zero signal strength.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭Quackles

Map puts my town right in the middle of a 3g coverage area. In reality, can't get speeds better than dialup either in my own house on outskirts of town or in my parent's house smack bang on the main street.

Quackles wrote:
    Map puts my town right in the middle of a 3g coverage area. In reality, can't get speeds better than dialup either in my own house on outskirts of town or in my parent's house smack bang on the main street.

If you are getting a good signal, that issue has nothing to do with coverage.

If you are getting a good signal, that issue has nothing to do with coverage.

The signal is patchy at best, too.. Some days I'll be able to connect, others not. I didn't know that, though.. if download speeds aren't connected by coverage, what does connect them? If it's traffic, I seriously can't imagine there'd be that many around here on the 3 network, it has to be something else.. Doesn't matter that much to me, didn't buy it for use at home, but I'd still be interested to know.

• Advertisement

I was saying if you are getting a good signal, your problem with slow download speeds have nothing to do with the coverage in your area, but rather another issue... but since you now say you get very poor signal, they are likely related. Have you tried connecting outdoors? Because HSDPA operates at 2.1GHz, it doesn't work too well in some houses, e.g. if you have thick walls.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

I can get 1300 kbps during the daytime but as soon as 6 in the evening comes the speed drops to almost dial up rates. Signal strength remains constant throughout the whole day. I think it is down to all the people that are on 3 in the evenings, not just those in your local area.

I was saying if you are getting a good signal, your problem with slow download speeds have nothing to do with the coverage in your area, but rather another issue... but since you now say you get very poor signal, they are likely related. Have you tried connecting outdoors? Because HSDPA operates at 2.1GHz, it doesn't work too well in some houses, e.g. if you have thick walls.

Haven't tried outdoors, it rains a lot in Leitrim :) Thick walls could explain my parent's house, 100+ years old, stone walls.. Wouldnt in mine, but we get poor mobile coverage too (o2 network) so I wasn't surprised there.

Quackles wrote:
    Haven't tried outdoors, it rains a lot in Leitrim :) Thick walls could explain my parent's house, 100+ years old, stone walls.. Wouldnt in mine, but we get poor mobile coverage too (o2 network) so I wasn't surprised there.

In fairness to Leitrim it has been raining a lot everywhere these past few weeks. ;)

Advertisement