Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Repair tyre with puncture in side wall??>

• 16-09-2011 12:32am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,664 ✭✭✭

I went in to get a puncture repair on what is a relatively new tyre - and they say they can't do it as the puncture was on the side of the tyre.

Is there no point in patching it up in these cases?

Very frustrating if I have to shell out another €75 to replace a tyre that is otherwise 100%...:confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,088 ✭✭✭✭CiniO

Punctures on the side are irrepairable.

• Registered Users Posts: 896 ✭✭✭UnkieKev

You can repair it, but there is so much movement in the sides of the tires, especially whilst turning that it would be extremely dangerous to do so. Last you want is a blow out and lose control. Better to spend the money mate!

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,520 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

and they say they can't do it as the puncture was on the side of the tyre.

Is there no point in patching it up in these cases?

They say they can't do it as they can't do it. Nobody can.

Sidewall damage is irreparable.

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭aido 1976

MYOB wrote: »
    They say they can't do it as they can't do it. Nobody can.

Sidewall damage is irreparable.

From my experience, you can chance your arm, but no way any respectable puncture repair place will not go near it.

I did try chancing my arm and still "no way"
    For me it was €10 for puncture + €10 for the young fella to patch or plug it, And still he would not touch it, Cost me €165 for a new tyre.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭easygoing39

Its a bin job,new tyre needed.Fixing it is too risky,as tyre would be prone to a sudden blow out.Bad luck,time to fork out for a new tyre,but safety comes 1st.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭THall04

Same happened to me.
    My local Advance Tyres refused to fix it (found a metal screw stuck in the side wall).
    Only had the tyre a few weeks...cost another 200Euro to replace

• Registered Users Posts: 9,222 ✭✭✭keithclancy

If its in the sidewall its a dead duck.

You can plug it if its in the threaded bit as long as its a pin hole and not a gash.

• Registered Users Posts: 724 ✭✭✭Paddy001

What size is the tyre? If it is not rough inside it would be okay with a tube in it, as long as the hole is a pinhole it would be fine, otherwise steel from the tyre would puncture the tube

• Registered Users Posts: 3,953 ✭✭✭aujopimur

I just spotted a part worn with a repaired sidewall, it was patched on the inside.
    I'd say if they fitted it I'd have been none the wiser.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭furtzy

Chuck it in the bin. I had a blowout years ago and nearly flipped the car. Not worth it for the sake of €75

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,664 ✭✭✭makeorbrake

Thank you all for your comments. I tried another tyre place and they wouldn't fix. Suggested sticking a tube in it - but they said not possible where it's an alloy wheel.

Got a KUMHO Solus KH17 for €70 fitted. They didn't stock hankook - but I looked up a few reviews of the Kumho - and it seems to get reasonably good press. Also, price on blackcircle.co.uk was just the same as the fitted price I got...(I mention that as whenever a tyre place say they don't have x tyre, they usually offer some sort of sh1te tyre which has a disproportionate price).

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,635 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

Nonsense.
    Had several punctures in the sidewall, tire needs to come off and a patch fitted.
    Never went wrong.
    The tire is fcuked when you have a bulge in your sidewall, that means some of the steel belting has torn and the structural integrity of your tire is compromised, i.e. tire go bang on motorway. You don't need to have a puncture for this. You could even have a bulge on the inside of a tire and not notice. Very dangerous.
    If there's a pinhole in the sidewall but no bulge, it means that the steel belting is pretty much intact, it can be fixed.
    Had two patches to my two front tires (lousy Kormorans and they're paper side walls), replacing both tires would have cost a bomb, but it was fixed and since put at least 40k km on the tires.

So, to recap:
    If it's a pinhole and no bulge, yes get it fixed! Anyone who says replace is in need of some extra income.

what size tyre is it? where you get it done? €70 seems alot for a kh17 fitted. I got same fitted for €50(175/65 R14).

• Registered Users Posts: 23,252 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

aujopimur wrote: »
    I just spotted a part worn with a repaired sidewall, it was patched on the inside.
    I'd say if they fitted it I'd have been none the wiser.

Who was selling this?

Nonsense.
    Had several punctures in the sidewall, tire needs to come off and a patch fitted.
    It was the second place I tried. Both of them said no. I asked him to patch it but he said it would be akin to putting a bandaid on a cut - it would come off.
    If it's a pinhole and no bulge, yes get it fixed! Anyone who says replace is in need of some extra income.
    It was more than a pinhole. There was a diagonal slash across the side - about 1-2 inches long.
    Songok wrote:
    what size tyre is it? where you get it done? €70 seems alot for a kh17 fitted. I got same fitted for €50(175/65 R14).
    It was a 195/60/R15. I checked blackcircles.com - and their fitted price for same tyre was the very same.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,635 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

It was more than a pinhole. There was a diagonal slash across the side - about 1-2 inches long.

Well, in that case it sounds too far gone to fix.
    Had numerous patches on my tires, but always for pinholes.
    One pinhole was caused by a small branch from a bush, the other was cause by a tiny little thorn that wouldn't even has pricked me.
    Warning on Kormorans: They wear well, are fairly good alround, but their sidewalls are made of chewing gum. If there are any bushes in your area and they get cut, forget it.

Warning on Kormorans: They wear well, are fairly good alround, but their sidewalls are made of chewing gum. If there are any bushes in your area and they get cut, forget it.
    Thanks for the heads up - will avoid like the plague - as they don't sound they would last 2 minutes on the roads i'm driving on!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭sundodger5

Nonsense.

The tire is fcuked when you have a bulge in your sidewall, that means some of the steel belting has torn and the structural integrity of your tire is compromised.
    If there's a pinhole in the sidewall but no bulge, it means that the steel belting is pretty much intact, it can be fixed.
    Not wishing to put a downer on your expertise, but you have no steel in the sidewall of a tyre, The sidewall on a car tyre is made up of Nylon (or similar material) threads.
    Yes you can fix a sidewall but you shouldnt. The sidewall is constantly flexing so repairs are not the way to go.
    Can you chance it yes you can, will you get away with it maybe, but do you want the additional risk? roads are dangerous enough keep the odds on your side as much as possible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 Kategill

do not touch a tyre with side wall repair... it could cost you a lot more than 100 or 200 euro... go to a proper dealer and they will refuse to fix it because they know the danger... there are new guys set up selling second hand tyres with repairs but they might be in for a quick buck in the hard times... but my kids lives are worth more than a budget or secondhand tyre... free choice though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,223 ✭✭✭Nissan doctor

Nonsense.
    Never went wrong.
    The tire is fcuked when you have a bulge in your sidewall, that means some of the steel belting has torn and the structural integrity of your tire is compromised, i.e. tire go bang on motorway. You don't need to have a puncture for this. You could even have a bulge on the inside of a tire and not notice. Very dangerous.
    Had two patches to my two front tires (lousy Kormorans and they're paper side walls), replacing both tires would have cost a bomb, but it was fixed and since put at least 40k km on the tires.

So, to recap:

That is poor advice I'm afraid and completely contrary to tyre safety recommendations and tyre manufacturer recommendations.

• Advertisement
Advertisement