Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can you claim the dole if you quit?

• 29-09-2008 11:26am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 344 ✭✭

A friend is thinking of quitting her job but she's been told that if she quits she won't be entitled to dole money as you only get this if you've been laid off?

Is this right?

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 79,827 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

I think it would take longer for her claim to come through,where as if she was laid off she would'nt any problem siging on,could be wrong though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 344 ✭✭scoot on

I think it would take longer for her claim to come through,where as if she was laid off she would'nt any problem siging on,could be wrong though.

That's what I thought too.

I thought that you had to wait for a period of time before you claimed but that it would not stop you claiming evenutally.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

It can delay the claim by up to 9 weeks.
    Now if you quit and claim harrasment or bullying, yes your claim can be done straight away.

But if you quit because you don't like it or something simple then the attitude is you left a perfectly good job so don't expect to get dole straight away.
    I suppose they have to have something like this.

They can take it on a case by case basis, talk to SW officers :)

micmclo wrote: »
    It can delay the claim by up to 9 weeks.
    Now if you quit and claim harrasment or bullying, yes your claim can be done straight away.

But if you quit because you don't like it or something simple then the attitude is you left a perfectly good job so don't expect to get dole straight away.
    I suppose they have to have something like this.

They can take it on a case by case basis, talk to SW officers :)

Thanks!

That's basically what I thought the situation was.

She wants to give up work to mind her kids full time. So if she quits it'll delay the claim approx 9 weeks but she'll more than likely get it after that?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭iPoker

scoot on wrote: »
    Thanks!

That's basically what I thought the situation was.

She wants to give up work to mind her kids full time. So if she quits it'll delay the claim approx 9 weeks but she'll more than likely get it after that?

well that's totally different. to qualify for jobseekers benefit or jobseekers allowance, you need to be actively seeking a job. If she has decided to become a full-time mum, her situation is different, and she won't be on the dole. If she is a single mother, she may well be entitled to some form or welfare.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

Read these

http://www.welfare.ie/foi/ja_jobseekall.html

Condition: Available for Work

Also
    http://www.welfare.ie/foi/jb_jobseekben.html

AVAILABLE FOR FULL-TIME WORK,
    GENUINELY SEEKING WORK

iPoker wrote: »
    well that's totally different. to qualify for jobseekers benefit or jobseekers allowance, you need to be actively seeking a job. If she has decided to become a full-time mum, her situation is different, and she won't be on the dole. If she is a single mother, she may well be entitled to some form or welfare.

And are you entitled to some benefit as a full time mother? She's not a single mother.
    Sorry for all the questions, I know nothing about any of this.

Also, if you're on jobseekers allowance how do they check that you're actively looking for work?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

As others have posted, that's not jobseekers allowance/benefit at all. That's something complety different.
    Should have put that info in Post 1
    Also, if you're on jobseekers allowance how do they check that you're actively looking for work?

Proof you went to interviews, application letters, rejection letters,etc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭iPoker

And are you entitled to some benefit as a full time mother? She's not a single mother.

how can someone know so little about this kind of thing? if she's married, living with husband, and leaves the workforce to become a single mother, she becomes a dependent of her husband. Unless the family have a very low income, she will not be entitled to any social welfare payments other than childrens allowance, which presumably she's already claiming.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭billy the squid

As a married woman, she would become dependent on her husband and would get no social welfare. He might get extra tax credits though.

They can check if you are actively looking for work by asking you to bring in "we regret" letters from companies you have applied to work for.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3 niallcass

Does anybody know that if I get fired,can I claim for jobseekers benefit?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 79,827 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

niallcass wrote: »
    Does anybody know that if I get fired,can I claim for jobseekers benefit?

no,if you get fired for mis conduct then you wont recieve it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 loislane2580

Hey,

Just noticed this thread and I want some advice. I have just returned to Ireland after living in the UK for 2yrs, I left my job to to health reasons as I found it to hard to cope, as I left my job of my own accord am I entitled to claim? Any help would be much appreciated,

L.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭Xiney

Hey,

Just noticed this thread and I want some advice. I have just returned to Ireland after living in the UK for 2yrs, I left my job to to health reasons as I found it to hard to cope, as I left my job of my own accord am I entitled to claim? Any help would be much appreciated,

L.

If you left your job because it was causing you stress you may be able to claim.

I left a job last year because my employers were essentially expecting me to commit fraud. I went into the social welfare and explained my reasons for leaving and I was allowed to claim jobseeker's allowance. This is before the economy tanked so they're probably a bit more strict these days but if you have a genuine reason for leaving a job and are genuinely looking for another, chances are they will be understanding.

Advertisement