Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cycling to lose weight?

• 17-04-2007 11:12am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,849 ✭✭✭

Carrying a bit of extra weight that I want to tone down. I used to cycle all over the place but since getting a car that has pretty much stopped! I'm going to leave my bike into the shop today and get it fixed up so I can cycle down the road to the shop instead of taking the easy option:rolleyes:

So, how good is cycling to increase fitness and lose a bit of weight? Do I need to cycle a lot and for long distances for it to have any effect?

Any help appreciated

Comments

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,261 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

Cycling down to the shops probably won't make a massive difference.

If you're serious about it, try slowly increasing your time in the saddle as you get fitter. I typically go for one or two long rides of up to five hours at the weekend, mixed with some shorter, higher intensity rides of one and a half to two hours during the week. I've worked myself up to this level over the past year as I've gotten into cycling.

All exercise can help lose weight, but you've got to combine it with a good diet for it to work. That doesn't mean starving yourself, because that might impact on how much you can train, but it does mean cutting out the rubbish.

The other thing to think about is the intensity at which you ride. If you go out hell for leather and ride till you feel like collapsing, you'll simply burn up all your sugar reserves before you have the chance to burn off a lot of fat. Riding about 70% of your maximum heart rate means your body will burn a mixture of something like 50% fat. Your total calories expended per minute will be lower, but the proportion of fat higher.

• Registered Users Posts: 436 ✭✭mossieh

I started cycling to work three months ago with the same goal. My commute is 8.5 miles each way and the weight is dropping fairly steadily, I've lost about a stone and a half in that time, although it would probably be more if I was more regimented in my diet. it's nice to get some muscle definition back in the legs too. Go for it man, it gets really enjoyable after a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,883 ✭✭✭Ghost Rider

If losing weight is your main aim, you'll find running is a much quicker way of doing it. (That is to say, you'll have to spend a lot less time cycling than you would running to lose the same amount of weight.)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭Evil Phil

Yep. I'm doing approx 6 miles either way and I have to say it's trimmed me up a bit and gotten rid of the paunch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 603 ✭✭✭Money Shot

el tonto wrote:
    Cycling down to the shops probably won't make a massive difference.

If you're serious about it, try slowly increasing your time in the saddle as you get fitter. I typically go for one or two long rides of up to five hours at the weekend, mixed with some shorter, higher intensity rides of one and a half to two hours during the week. I've worked myself up to this level over the past year as I've gotten into cycling..

I wouldn't get too worried about not doing the above - you don't need to be doing five hour spins to get benefit from cycling, or anything close to it. Not many people (especially with kids) can afford to give up a whole day once or twice a week for a long cycle. But if you're fancy free and serious, El tonto's advice will serve you well, and five hour cycles will knock the weight of you fairly sharpish.

Basically, any trip you make on the bike instead of the car will obvoiusly help, but the key is consistency. If you cycle to work and back every day, and if that is only a couple of miles, maybe start adding a couple of miles on your way home. Try and see if there are any regular trips you can subsitiute the bike for the car. Most of all, enjoy it - it shouldn't be a chore, and when it becomes one, you won't want to cycle any more.

For loosing weight though, I would have to say that walking to work for an hour would be much better than a 20 minute cycle.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

Started about a month or so ago. I do 10miles at least 4/5 evenings a week and then try to do 30-50 miles on Saturday/Sunday. I certainly feel much fitter than when I started, haven't weighed myself much but I'd imagine I have lost a bit anyway. Gonna start the daily commute soon, 13miles each way.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭Evil Phil

Cycling helps the bank balance too :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,365 ✭✭✭hunnymonster

but makes you deeply unpopular with whoever does the laundry, Changing punctures and doing the washing are the bane's of my life!

• Registered Users Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

mossieh wrote:
    I started cycling to work three months ago with the same goal. My commute is 8.5 miles each way and the weight is dropping fairly steadily,
    I lost weight cycling to work, but it plateaus. When I started it took over 1 hour, now I do it in 20mins. Back then I was carrying an additional 20kg. So I was burning more calories on the route since I was lugging around more weight. If I carry an additional 20kg on a bike now I am in bits again!

Lifting weights helped shift a lot of fat and improved my cycling greatly. Lifting weights increases your metabolism greatly since your body uses large amounts of calories to build muscle on the days you are not training. If you were to only do 3 hours exercise per week, then heavy weight training will RESULT in more calories being burned in the course of the week than any other exercise done to the same intensity. i.e. running might burn 7-800kcal in the hour, and weights might only be 500kcal per hour, BUT every single day of the week your body is using calories to build muscle.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

cycling is a great way to get fit as it can be good fun, I'm out on the bike pretty much everyday.

I would recommend that you also do another activity so as to exercise other muscle groups. Cycling is non-impact so perhaps alternating between some easy running/jogging and cycling would help see better benefits than cycling alone. If going running, get a good pair of quality trainers (FYI www.amphibianking.ie is where I picked up a pair)

As others may have said, take it easy at first. Build it up so that you don't get dis-heartened about not being able to go long distances and also so that you don't injure yourself by overdoing it.

Remember to do some stretching after you have finished your exercises. Some folk recommend that you don't stretch before you are warmed up (do a light jog first or whatever). However, you should stretch properly, so get someone knowledgeable to show you or pick up a book that explains the fundamentals.

Finally, food, as some one already mentioned, cut out the rubbish. It makes a huge difference. However, make sure that you actually fuel your body. When doing exercise you are going to need to eat the right stuff. I eat like a horse, but I only weigh 11 stone (6' 3"). I try to keep all junk food to a minimum and eat plenty of fruit and veg and wholewheat (rice, bread, pasta) and fish

that's all I can think of right now, hopefully it's all good advice. I'm far from an expert in the areas of sports nutrition/training so everything I've said/know are bits of information that I've picked up from others or from books/t'internet

P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭Mucco

rubadub wrote:
    Lifting weights helped shift a lot of fat and improved my cycling greatly. Lifting weights increases your metabolism greatly since your body uses large amounts of calories to build muscle on the days you are not training.

I'm not sure how that fits in with the first law of thermodynamics.

I currently cycle ~40km a day and my weight stays constant - I just eat more! I'm soon going to pick up the mileage on the way home from work, so should shed a few pounds.
    As people have commented, cycling enough to lose weight might will probably take up a bit of time. My recommendation is to cycle to work, it might take a bit longer (or maybe not), but you're putting the time to good use.

M

• Registered Users Posts: 5,618 ✭✭✭Civilian_Target

Same - I actually gain weight when I cycle more - I just end up eating more and it all becomes leg muscles instead of fat!

• Registered Users Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Mucco wrote:
    I'm not sure how that fits in with the first law of thermodynamics.
    Which bit?

I dropped about 1.5 stone after eating better and cycling. What I was saying above is that if you do a daily commute of a fixed difference then as you start to lose weight you burn less calories over the same distance. Whereas if cycle at a full pace for 1 hour you would burn around the same.

I used to spend 1 hour cycling to work, now I do it in 20mins with the same effort.
    I currently cycle ~40km a day and my weight stays constant
    My weight is constant now too. After weight training I got much thinner but weighed the same, i.e. was adding muscle and losing fat at the same rate.

If you weight train 3 times a work for an hour you can burn 3x500kcal. But your body will use up to 300kcal per day developing muscle, so that is up to about and extra 2000kcal per week.

It is imporant to watch fat levels and measurements rather than weight. Most people goal is to lose FAT not weight, so seeing a constant weight can be disheartening even though you could be shifting lbs of fat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭RainyDay

I'd suggest that you need to be cycling at least 30 minute sessions, 4 times per week. I wasn't losing any weight with my (very energetic) 20 minute commute, until I started extending the duration with a long detour to bring it up to 40 minutes duration.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,626 ✭✭✭timmywex

cycle up a mountain as fast as you can!! that helps, and gives you nice biceps :)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

Cycling is very good indeed for weight loss. As el tonto says, 70% of max heart rate and you'll be burning the fat most efficiently. Cycle up a mountain as fast as you can and you _will_ burn more per minute but you'll also wreck yourself and no be able to continue. So don't overdo it and aim for longer sessions. You want to be making a distinct effort but not killing yourself either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,663 ✭✭✭Cork24

Used to cycle to work but no showers at work and the sweat be drying into your back not good for the lungs. I have a nice hill climb on the way to work. So I take the bike out on the week ends haven't being cycling or to the gym for the best 2weeks have a chest inf. Can't seem to shake the thing off!! Saying that I feel a bit better today think I'll chance a 5mile ride Sunday

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭setanta159

After a lenghty period abroad I came back to Ireland in May last year and deliberately decided against getting a car so have been cycling since then, averaging anything from 100-150km per week on a hybrid. I recently got a road bike (as the bug has truly bitten) and my average has sky-rocketed, however, prior to that I lost 14kg since May and cycling is the main reason. I'm in my early 40s and cycle to commute, going to shops etc. I don't kill myself on the bike and try to get out 6 days per week. I usually do 100 push-ups per day too and I think that helps a little bit. The main problem I face now is trying not to lose any more weight which is a nice problem to have. As others have said diet is important. Cut out the crap but don't be afraid to indulge yourself now and then. I have read elsewhere that 'experts' differ on whether cycling helps you lose weight but I think you'll see clear evidence on here that it does indeed help.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,229 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

depends what your trying to lose if your a sitting infront of a computer all day FB (like me ) then you'll lose weight easily once you move, if your trying to get rid of the last few pounds then it'll take a bit more effort(diet etc)
    my weight's moving again (16'6 this morning woohoo) but i'm down to prettymuch muesli for breakfat salad fruit and pitta breads(wholemeal for lunch and pasta for tea

but i have come down from 17'10 the hardest part was getting moving again !

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

mloc123 wrote: »
    Started about a month or so ago. I do 10miles at least 4/5 evenings a week and then try to do 30-50 miles on Saturday/Sunday. I certainly feel much fitter than when I started, haven't weighed myself much but I'd imagine I have lost a bit anyway. Gonna start the daily commute soon, 13miles each way.

Zombie thread :eek:

And I hate reading my old posts :D

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

Joined club last last year at 75kg, weigh 67 now and have been around that for 6 months. I've tried to cut out meals and concentrate more on eating little lots. I do eat breakfast every day, usually Muesli, I rotate between mueslis, Alpen original, Alpen sugar free and Flahavans Hi-8. I've been muesliless for about a week and a half now and I've been eating all types of crap in the morning, loads of breakfast rolls :( Although I bought a box this morning (and my last breakfast roll). If I do eat something like a breakfast roll I won't eat 'til about 16h00. I bought my first pair of 32" jeans a few months ago :)

The big problem I have (although I know some of you would give ye're right arms to be in my position) is that I live with my parents and me da does the cooking. On my days off he cooks massive lunches, which are tasty. I've asked, shouted and bawled for him not to do this but he's Irelands most stubborn man and will never change his ways (and I'm slowly turning into him). Although with the weather being so good recently he hasn't bothered because he knows when I go out on the bike I'll be gone for a good while.

Cycling regularly is definately good for the body and weight as you're body will be programmed to burn energy instead of storing it, so long as you eat and exercise regularly. If you don't eat and exercise you're body will store food and exercising will be most uncomfortable. Oh and a day of eating crap now and again (once a week) doesn't do any harm and helps the morale.

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭ROK ON

I have given up my diet. Decided it just wasmt for me. Life is short and there are too many pleasures to be derived from food of all shapes and sizes and tastes and cultures.
    Despite that I have not put on any weight. Gradually my weight has gone from 112kg tp 96kg to 88kg today. This weight loss has occurred since April 2008, and the only time I dieted was between Nov09 and March 10 when I moved from 96 to 88kg.

Had enough now. I am now leaving the rest down to cycling to get down to low 80's by high summer. If I dont make it, so what - I'll just suffer more on the climbs. But I am used to that now.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,849 ✭✭✭Cianos

Are there any recommended cycling programmes equivalent to the couch to 5k jogging programme?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,565 ✭✭✭thebouldwhacker

Not really that I know of, but it does depend on your target distance ie there are ones for TT or century cycling etc. tbh cycling is easier to start than running. that said I think the general rule of thumb is to find a distance that you are comfortable cycling say 10km. Repeat for a week and increase by 10% per week I used throw in one long cycle per week just to push a bit and keep interest. As you get more bike fit you can then change the route, perhaps throw in a few hills or start timing your cycle and try to better you times and add more long spins. There are many resources out there but the key is to keep cycling. once a week will just result in sore legs. As with the 5k training plan you can alternate your speed during your cycle, hill sprints, fast descent, flat sprints, cycling with one leg at a time (while clipped in)

There is a training sub forum which has resources and if you post up you will get feed back....

On a more general point there is a big difference between being thin and being fit & healthy. Some of the thinnest people I know couldn't cycle (or run) the length of their shadow at noon. Cycling helped me move 2 stone when I started desk work, the sedimentary life style made me put on the weight in 3 months so I got on the bike and worked away. I would prefer to be overweight and healthy than only diet thin and without energy. But that's only my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,812 ✭✭✭Drapper

I lost 13kg (2.3stone) since Christmas with Cycling (road and mtb) and WW point counting. Cycling works with LSD (long slow distances) and good diet! I do core exercises too each eve and moitor all my spins. 40 waist to 34 and falling :-)
    Christmas weight 97.4kg - April Weight 83.8kg. Target 79ish.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

You can't out cycle your mouth. I've tried, it doesn't work. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,714 ✭✭✭Ryaner

Drapper wrote: »
    I lost 13kg (2.3stone) since Christmas with Cycling (road and mtb) and WW point counting. Cycling works with LSD (long slow distances) and good diet! I do core exercises too each eve and moitor all my spins. 40 waist to 34 and falling :-)

That is some good progress. It does get harder as you get lower though but stick with it. Once you keep a record of your weight ins, you'll see the changes.

Or use Sporttracks and get some lovely graphs of your progress!
    StephenRyan-Bodyfat.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,450 ✭✭✭Harrybelafonte

That's a huge amount of lost weight. I just got myself down to your original weight LOL

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

Good going dude. Did you go to WW or just have the book?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,812 ✭✭✭Drapper

BostonB wrote: »
    Good going dude. Did you go to WW or just have the book?

I went and stuck to it! it took control of the calories and the bike did the rest! :-) only a tenner a week to keep you motivated.

I'm now 82.3kg :-) target is about 78ish

Advertisement