Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Argos RIP thread

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

I miss it.

This https://pricescanner.ie/ is probably bettter but lacks the charm and instant buzz of check argos.

• Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

beauf wrote: »
    I miss it.

This https://pricescanner.ie/ is probably bettter but lacks the charm and instant buzz of check argos.

Is it gone completely?

Its been up and down for weeks. Usually back in a day or so.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,544 ✭✭✭✭Electric Nitwit

The guy who runs checkargos posts here sometimes. I know he used to get a tiny bit of money from affiliate links to argos but they stopped that, so I guess it's a lot of work for no reward to keep it going now. It is a great tool though, fingers crossed it will live on

• Registered Users Posts: 12,270 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

yeah I used to love the checkargos extension that allowed you click on the SKU for the item

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,215 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

I think user (mod?) Witnessmenow owns checkargos and checksmyths

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,278 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Suckit wrote: »
    I think user (mod?) Witnessmenow owns checkargos and checksmyths

Pop Sean an e-mail and ask?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,312 ✭✭✭VanZan

Yeah I already sent witnessmenow a PM informing him of the situation on the 31st of August. Previously he's always been very quick and responsive....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,867 ✭✭✭matchthis

Anyone know if there is an alternative site to checkargos?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,954 ✭✭✭witnessmenow

Hey all,

Checkargos is back online now, apologies for being down for so long.

I have a lot more demands on my time since I was working on checkargos (2 kids, a youtube channel and a bit of a side business) and sometimes it's just really tough to set aside some time to dig into why its down. Even I'm a lot less familiar with the project or even the infrastructure of it so it takes more time than it once did to diagnose.

One of the guys who worked on the 2015 revamp of the site moved most of the site to Kubernetes, so it automatically will recover etc (I'm not fully sure what exactly its doing, but it seems like magic) but this outage was caused by the price history service (which is not on kubernetes) being unresponsive.

I do appreciate the heads up when it does go down as I don't use it as much as I once did myself. Cheers to VanZan who is always quick off the mark. Don't feel like your bothering me or anything with, it actually still means a lot that people use it!

As Electric Nitwit mentioned, I no longer make anything from the site, but I am happy to try keep the lights on when I get time.

The fact that it still works is an absolute condemnation of Argos prioritization of the Ireland website. The stock checking code (the regular expression) has not changed since I wrote the site 8 years ago. It was ported from PHP to NodeJS in 2015, but its the same endpoint, parsing the same fields.

Brian

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Not sure if it will apply to Ireland but hukd report that Argos are launching a 50% off toy sale tomorrow, Wednesday.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,633 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Not sure if it will apply to Ireland but hukd report that Argos are launching a 50% off toy sale tomorrow, Wednesday.

Probably will be a sale or a 3 for 2 seeing as Smyths are starting their €10 off €50 spend today.

TitianGerm wrote: »
    Probably will be a sale or a 3 for 2 seeing as Smyths are starting their €10 off €50 spend today.

Argos e-mail this morning offered me £6 off £50 and £12 off £100 vouchers for spending in November- for online sales (note- this is UK).

Argos usually rise their prices. You need to check using checkargos if something is actually cheaper.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,416 ✭✭✭OmegaGene

argos toy sale started but it seems a bit of a let down this year

The internet isn’t for everyone

OmegaGene wrote: »
    argos toy sale started but it seems a bit of a let down this year

Very little in the sale- a few lego kits- but its actually hard to find anything on offer...……… Also just saw the news- apparently 80 Argos branches in the UK and Ireland are to close because of poor trading. In the UK they're looking at migrating a lot of the Argos lines into Sainsburys- Ireland obviously doesn't have this option. Looks like the writing is on the wall.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,416 ✭✭✭OmegaGene

Very little in the sale- a few lego kits- but its actually hard to find anything on offer...……… Also just saw the news- apparently 80 Argos branches in the UK and Ireland are to close because of poor trading. In the UK they're looking at migrating a lot of the Argos lines into Sainsburys- Ireland obviously doesn't have this option. Looks like the writing is on the wall.

Yeah I read the story too and I was in London yesterday and the Argos I passed that’s inside a Sainsbury’s was dead, even the tumble weed had cleared off
    This time last year the same shop had long queues with a couple of staff, I think U.K. home delivery is the reason for this as well as poor sales

The internet isn’t for everyone

• Registered Users Posts: 1,917 ✭✭✭JimsAlterEgo

• Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

Hey all,

Checkargos is back online now, apologies for being down for so long.

I have a lot more demands on my time since I was working on checkargos (2 kids, a youtube channel and a bit of a side business) and sometimes it's just really tough to set aside some time to dig into why its down. Even I'm a lot less familiar with the project or even the infrastructure of it so it takes more time than it once did to diagnose.

One of the guys who worked on the 2015 revamp of the site moved most of the site to Kubernetes, so it automatically will recover etc (I'm not fully sure what exactly its doing, but it seems like magic) but this outage was caused by the price history service (which is not on kubernetes) being unresponsive.

I do appreciate the heads up when it does go down as I don't use it as much as I once did myself. Cheers to VanZan who is always quick off the mark. Don't feel like your bothering me or anything with, it actually still means a lot that people use it!

As Electric Nitwit mentioned, I no longer make anything from the site, but I am happy to try keep the lights on when I get time.

The fact that it still works is an absolute condemnation of Argos prioritization of the Ireland website. The stock checking code (the regular expression) has not changed since I wrote the site 8 years ago. It was ported from PHP to NodeJS in 2015, but its the same endpoint, parsing the same fields.

Brian

Brian,

I'm sure I speak for many when i say thanks for your creation. It's cost me a small fortune over the years but is a very useful tool. Thanks again!

Brian,

I'm sure I speak for many when i say thanks for your creation. It's cost me a small fortune over the years but is a very useful tool. Thanks again!

I apologise and your welcome all at once :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32 Teemarie

Anyone know if Argos will be doing 3 for 2 this year. Thank you

• Registered Users Posts: 8,312 ✭✭✭VanZan

I sent him a PM on Friday just in case anyone's wondering!

VanZan wrote: »
    I sent him a PM on Friday just in case anyone's wondering!

Back up now, popular page doesn't seem to be working though. meed to dig into that.

EDIT: Ah, the service I used to store what was clicked on the most has started charging real money, so that feature would appear to be dead!

• Registered Users Posts: 26 Jasminecat

Anyone know when the next furniture sale will take place?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,867 ✭✭✭matchthis

https://www.thesun.ie/money/4712485/argos-ireland-crazy-codes-discounts-toys/

Article about Argos doing 20 percent discount codes on different ranges each week

• Registered Users Posts: 2,561 ✭✭✭frash

Just spotted this 4.2l Tower Air Fryer on Argos at it's lowest price

https://www.argos.ie/w...mp;productId=1262060

Anyone got one?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,058 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

Link is broken just brings me to homepage

• Registered Users Posts: 2,028 ✭✭✭d31b0y

frash wrote: »
    Just spotted this 4.2l Tower Air Fryer on Argos at it's lowest price

Anyone got one?

I've the smaller one. It's grand. Used pretty regularly but the results aren't good enough for me to rush out and buy a bigger one. Maybe it's the small size but I don't feel like the chips are really any better than out of the oven.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,791 ✭✭✭sweetie

frash wrote: »
    Just spotted this 4.2l Tower Aif Fryer on Argos at it's lowest price

Anybody have this? How does it compare to the Philips, need to replace one that was dropped.

Advertisement